Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,697 members, 7,831,177 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? (17030 Views)

Jimmy Odukoya Defends His Decision For Dreading His Hair & Wearing Earrings(vid / Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? / Can A Genuine Christian Become A Billionaire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by zoedew: 3:05pm On Sep 17, 2023
ebubeson:
If you check some churches, you may see guys plaiting their hair. You may notice such amongst the instrumentalists, drummers, bass guitar players etc.
The question is, should a genuine Christian guy Plait his hair?

To me, it is not a good appearance for a genuine Christian guy. Such appearance cannot be easily used to preach, and it may not allow sinners to be convinced to repent.
It leaves one wondering how he is hearing the Word of God.🤔. It’s a No-No!
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Devilpen(m): 3:12pm On Sep 17, 2023
Righteousness2:
A man plaiting his hair is an abomination. It Don't deceive yourself with grammars.
Please backup your claims so others can see your point of view
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 3:17pm On Sep 17, 2023
[/color]I'm not talking about that I'm talking about plaiting hair,ok since man has lips naturally and nails naturally,he fix nails ,use Brazilian weavon and paint lips[color=#770077]
athaliya:

The bible says men shouldn't put on what pertains to a man and vice versa.
Deut. 22. [5] The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

The man has hair naturally, he's not putting on hair. But the transgenders are putting on things which women specifically put on.

I hope you understand

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Sparrk007(m): 3:17pm On Sep 17, 2023
Watch christ embassy & salvation ministry sheeps abi Na goats will defend this nonsense cool cool
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Glory2DLamb(m): 3:19pm On Sep 17, 2023
SeriouslySense:
This is not the 100 percent truth, read your bibles and ask The Holy Spirit to show you the truth in understanding. I will do the same.

I am prone to errors too.

okay, then there is no issue yes, i could err and go my own way so its good to correct me, praise God.

I dont feel condemned. And if i am wrong please God forgive me and help to correct myself.

What i was saying is, Adam and Eve were naked and they were not ashamed, now i have heard someone say, the glory of God was their clothing, not sure about that, but everything God has made is good, Men plaiting their hair is not wrong, if the people do not see it as wrong and if it does not lead them to sin. This is where human corrupted perception can corrupt what is good. And if its a weakness then they should not do such things. I say this based on the regulations of eating meat and how Paul explained human weaknesses.

I have seen people with tattoos become the best Christians or more Christlike than those who like to present an outward form of godliness, now is presentation wrong, no, what i mean is, its the inward part that counts and its from the mind that sin originates and takes form. So it is not the tattoo or no tattoo that sanctifies, its not the plaiting or non plaiting of hair that counts, its the understanding and the light of the mind. Which Christ is the light of our mind and we are renewed daily. I dont know if i correctly stated it

So if we are bothered by all this regulations, we may be falling back to the laws and may become trapped by the power of Sin

That is why you see people who are religious pretend to be godly, they go around Judging others, except they dont take the wood from their eyes, and then they want to impress others, and then they go around judging other's without showing mercy. They always fight and cause quarrels.

They forget what counts, love God with your whole being and be like your Father in heaven, and believe in the one he sent.

IF we love God, then we will love our brothers and sisters and every human being.

What is SIN?
And who is defining it, society or scripture?
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 3:20pm On Sep 17, 2023
[color=#770077][/color]it is general
athaliya:

African men used to walk naked.... If African men can switch from going naked to wearing clothes, why can't African men plait their hair ?
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 3:22pm On Sep 17, 2023
[/color]it is general
athaliya:

African men used to walk naked.... If African men can switch from going naked to wearing clothes, why can't African men plait their hair ?
[color=#770077]
it is conventional norm that human put on clothes,in most societies people who plait hair are know as outliers[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 3:24pm On Sep 17, 2023
[/color]I'm not going biblical I'm talking about conventional norm, first 100 richest people in the world don't plait hair[color=#770077]
Samantha124:
Where in the Bible is it stated like that?
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 3:27pm On Sep 17, 2023
[/color]mad people don't put on clothes,they roam freely and no one molest them up till now[color=#770077]
athaliya:

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 17, 2023
Well, the op is talking about Christianity, not richest people in the world.

And in that top 100 richest people in the world, how many of them are black men
Thomasankara:
[/color]I'm not going biblical I'm talking about conventional norm, first 100 richest people in the world don't plait hair[color=#770077]
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Glory2DLamb(m): 3:29pm On Sep 17, 2023
athaliya:

Doesn't having the ability to grow long hair and fingernails like a woman equally make a man effeminate? Or is it until he styles the hair then automatically he becomes effeminate?

Definition of effeminate:
(with reference to a man) having characteristics and ways of behaving traditionally associated with women and regarded as inappropriate for a man.

: having feminine qualities untypical of a man : not manly in appearance or manner. 2. : marked by an unbecoming delicacy or overrefinement. effeminate art. an effeminate civilization.

If plaiting hair makes a man effeminate, does having dreads make a woman masculine?

Long hair, braids are women thing.
The question is NOT about women.
If one is GENUINELY, a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, the bottomline is "Joh 14:15 KJV If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 3:44pm On Sep 17, 2023
[/color]maybe he forgot to add 1st Peter 3vs3[color=#770077]
Samantha124:

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Baolak(m): 3:49pm On Sep 17, 2023
Jokerman:

Long hair is not the same as plaiting of hair

What sought of poor mentality is this... What's the difference?
Is it not when you have long hairs , that you will be able to plait it?
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 3:50pm On Sep 17, 2023
[/color]1st Corinthians 11vs 14 also spoke on it, I have bailed the guy out[color=#770077]
Samantha124:

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 17, 2023
If you don't like something, keep it that way, but don't try to use the Bible to justify your dislikes.
Thomasankara:
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by E2000: 3:57pm On Sep 17, 2023
ebubeson:
If you check some churches, you may see guys plaiting their hair. You may notice such amongst the instrumentalists, drummers, bass guitar players etc.
The question is, should a genuine Christian guy Plait his hair?

To me, it is not a good appearance for a genuine Christian guy. Such appearance cannot be easily used to preach, and it may not allow sinners to be convinced to repent.
Have you ever seen where it is written that women must piece their ear and wear ear-rings.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 3:58pm On Sep 17, 2023
[/color]you brought Bible into it, I didn't, I'm well read,if you ask of quoran verse or what Tipitaka said I will also give it to you.[color=#770077]
Samantha124:
If you don't like something, keep it that way, but don't try to use the Bible to justify your dislikes.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 17, 2023
This scripture talks about how growing long is a disgrace... A lot of men in the Bible grew long hair, including Jesus.

So are you telling me that Jesus was a disgrace for growing long hair
Thomasankara:
[/color]1st Corinthians 11vs 14 also spoke on it, I have bailed the guy out[color=#770077]
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 17, 2023
And this scripture talks nothing about plaiting hair being a sin.

But it talks about inward beauty, which is why it's important to focus on a person's inward beauty and not what he does with his hair.
Thomasankara:
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 17, 2023
Those scriptures you mentioned mean nothing.
Thomasankara:
[/color]you brought Bible into it, I didn't, I'm well read,if you ask of quoran verse or what Tipitaka said I will also give it to you.[color=#770077]
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Fearyourcreator: 4:09pm On Sep 17, 2023
Botragelad:
That's a right peculiar take, and I must say I disagree with it, mate! To say that a "genuine" Christian shouldn't have their hair in a particular style seems a bit judgy, if you don't mind me sayin' so.
As far as I can tell, there's nothin' in the Bible that says Christians can't have their hair in any particular way.

The idea that a Christian's appearance should be a certain way to "preach" or "convince" others seems a bit backwards, if ya ask me. After all, the Bible says that "man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)
The focus should be on the person's character and actions, not on how they choose to look, yeah?
You fit plait hair go white collar , like bank Job for interview?
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Fearyourcreator: 4:12pm On Sep 17, 2023
Wisereborn:
The kind talk and questions you ask on this forum is very funny

No one is really hitting the nail on the head

Why can't you ask questions like:
1. How can a christian defend his or herself if terrorists attack

2. What do we do to better our lives in the face of this harsh economy reality

3. How do we identity and deal with corruption undecided

4. How can you be a better citizen

5. What to do to stay honest even in business undecided infact teach how to be a better person in your environment

These are some of the problems in our immediate environment

Many of these questions will make lives better

Michael Jackson dey plait hair undecided supposing he's still alive, who amongst you will not jump at him or take pictures with him if he comes to your church undecided

Samson in the bible self keep hair

Hair shouldn't define someone's character, what God really want from us, we aren't doing!!!
Make we dey plait hair dey Wetin God want?
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Fearyourcreator: 4:13pm On Sep 17, 2023
sageb:

Sampson had dreadlocks
John the Baptist had dreadlocks also

Why do you condemn without giving biblical references?
Artificials are now much more than natural ...
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Fearyourcreator: 4:14pm On Sep 17, 2023
benuejosh:
the physical appearances emanates from the heart. The bible also said as he thinketh in his heart so is he. Outward appearances are thoughts of the heart/mind na wetin der inside the show outside.
Leave them... Ones look is part of ones character
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Fearyourcreator: 4:14pm On Sep 17, 2023
Emma09:
Plating of hair is different from natural dreadlocks.
Leave them na
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Fearyourcreator: 4:17pm On Sep 17, 2023
Iseoluwani:

Wait.

U must also understand the place of culture which affects the church. In the world the culture here doesn't permit responsible people to plait hairs. So if you plait hair in africa, u are a hoodlum, or a thug, In euro, u plait hair U are definitely an inmate or just came back from prison or a gangster. So plaiting of hair for a christian is wrong, when u are not dada
Very simple

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Fearyourcreator: 4:18pm On Sep 17, 2023
Psalmistproject:

Which culture? Barbing of hair is for slaves. From the time of old black men keep hair and made their hairs. The slave masters were the ones that invented moro moro for black slaves.

Shaving bald has always been a sign of humiliation, mourning or spiritual activity of some sort.
Tell me more .. I know some blacks plait hair ... I know these very well ... Even worriors those days ...
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Fearyourcreator: 4:20pm On Sep 17, 2023
Kollyman:
It doesn't matter how you try to paint it, what is abnormal remains abnormal.

In the olding days, only the Songo and other idol Worshippers plait their hair in this part of the world.

The fact that someone who is supposed to know better chose to do the wrong thing, that does not make his or her action right.
Thank you for these ... Cus I know some plait their hair like worriors like SANGO or So I don't think it's something anyhow people still do back then
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by FarmTech(m): 4:25pm On Sep 17, 2023
Botragelad:
That's a right peculiar take, and I must say I disagree with it, mate! To say that a "genuine" Christian shouldn't have their hair in a particular style seems a bit judgy, if you don't mind me sayin' so.
As far as I can tell, there's nothin' in the Bible that says Christians can't have their hair in any particular way.

The idea that a Christian's appearance should be a certain way to "preach" or "convince" others seems a bit backwards, if ya ask me. After all, the Bible says that "man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)
The focus should be on the person's character and actions, not on how they choose to look, yeah?
Really? Thw same bible also tells us that u shudnt place a stumbling block on the path of your brother. And that u shud love your neigbour as yourself. Plating hair is bad for men bc we're not women. With the rise of homosexuals it shud be discouraged, else they will come enmasses and pollute the church.
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Botragelad: 4:40pm On Sep 17, 2023
FarmTech:

Really? Thw same bible also tells us that u shudnt place a stumbling block on the path of your brother. And that u shud love your neigbour as yourself. Plating hair is bad for men bc we're not women. With the rise of homosexuals it shud be discouraged, else they will come enmasses and pollute the church.
Oh, come off it! You're twisting the Bible to suit your own prejudices. Plaiting hair is not bad for men, because it's not a sin or a crime. It's just a style or a fashion choice. It has nothing to do with being a woman or a homosexual. There are many men in history and in different cultures who have plaited their hair, and they were not women or homosexuals. Some of the ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans had plaited hair. Some of the Native Americans, Africans and Asians also have plaited hair. And some of the modern celebrities, athletes and musicians have plaited hair. Are you saying that they are all women or homosexuals?

You're also misusing the Bible verses about stumbling blocks and loving your neighbour. Those verses are not about judging or condemning others for their appearance or preferences. They are about being considerate and compassionate towards others who have different beliefs or convictions. They are about not causing others to sin or lose their faith by our actions or words.
So, don't use the Bible to bash or hate others who are different from you.

1 Like

Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Generalyemi(m): 4:43pm On Sep 17, 2023
Righteousness2:
A man plaiting his hair is an abomination. It Don't deceive yourself with grammars.

I rather go to hell than take Lord chosen serious..
Their own version of Christianity is wrapped in foolishness
Re: Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? by Thomasankara(m): 5:05pm On Sep 17, 2023
[/color]ok mummy[color=#770077]
Samantha124:
Those scriptures you mentioned mean nothing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cardinal John Onaiyekan Retires As Archbishop Of Abuja / 20 Commandments Of Muhammad The Founder Of Islam. / Church Members Barred From Discussing Chris Okotie’s Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.