Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,133 members, 7,829,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' (3711 Views)

Girls Above 30 Years Are Good In Relationships / Describe This Love Letter In A Sentence / These 11 Signs Show That You Are Good In Bed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by Flows001(m): 4:05pm On Sep 21, 2023
Them never see anything!

1 Like

Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by ekitimanalways(m): 6:50pm On Sep 21, 2023
talented321:
Make 3 sentences starting with ''them''.. Let see the elites...

You cannot start your sentence with “them” because it is an object pronoun. The English sentence always begins with a subject or a subject pronoun. The subject pronouns are “I, he, she, it, we, you, and they”. So, you can use “they” not “them”.
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by sorepco(m): 7:35pm On Sep 21, 2023
They u mean?

TemplarLandry:
1. Them I gave the money.
2. Them we don't have respect for.
3. Them we didn't vote for.

Jara: *in Asake's voice* “Dem never see something…” 😊

I dedicate “Loaded” by Empire feat. Tiwa Savage x Asake to everyone who loves wordplay.
Great jam!
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by Merry100: 10:18am On Sep 22, 2023
It is not impossible to use objective pronouns to begin a sentence in certain contexts; however, it is generally better to avoid using objective pronouns, especially those that do not also belong to subjective pronouns. They are neither necessary nor easy to use, so we can just construct them for fun activities such as this one.

Objective pronouns are:
It (also a subjective pronoun)
Me
Us
You (also a subjective pronoun)
Her (also a possessive pronoun)
Him
Them
Whom (also an interrogative pronoun)

How can "them" be considered impossible to use to begin a sentence simply because it is an objective pronoun? That is not a logical explanation. "Whom," "her," and "him" are also objective pronouns, yet they can be used to begin a sentence in certain formal contexts.

Examples:
* Whom did you give my money to?
* Her house is on fire.
* Her books were later found inside the house.
* Him in their house, just acting like a chef to deceive them, is not fair.

In conclusion
There are several types of pronouns, and some objective pronouns also fall within another group of pronouns. That might be why it is possible to use them to start a sentence.
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by MSN1(m): 8:26pm On Sep 22, 2023
talented321:
Make 3 sentences starting with ''them''.. Let see the elites...
Them?, I can never cope with their madness.
Them?, such loquacious fellows.
Them?, please leave them out of it.
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by Tezzi(m): 10:33pm On Sep 22, 2023
Them,The Perverted gays Didn't Make It To The Virgin Hole
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by placeofallure(f): 11:12pm On Sep 22, 2023
Grammatically, by structure, you can't start a sentence with the word 'them'
There are two sets of the personal pronouns - The subject pronouns and the object pronouns.
The subject pronouns indicate who or what the sentence is talking about. Also, it shows who acts in the sentence. They are: I, he,she, you, we, they and it. Any of these pronouns can start a sentence.
E.g. Jeff and Sally played basketball after school. (They)
My mum and I enjoyed gardening. (We)
The mountainside is covered in blue flowers. (It)

The object pronouns receive the action done by the subject and they're found in the predicate.
E.g. Failing the test was the worst thing that could happen to Janet. (Her)
A huge rock rolled down the hill and nearly hit John and me. (Us)
This instruction manual belongs with the TV set. (It)

Going by the aforementioned dear OP, to begin a sentence with 'them' is ungrammatical.
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by rickleye: 12:08am On Sep 23, 2023
Them go dey pose , Them go dey denge denge .
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by Merry100: 6:10am On Sep 23, 2023
placeofallure:
Grammatically, by structure, you can't start a sentence with the word 'them'
There are two sets of the personal pronouns - The subject pronouns and the object pronouns.
The subject pronouns indicate who or what the sentence is talking about. Also, it shows who acts in the sentence. They are: I, he,she, you, we, they and it. Any of these pronouns can start a sentence.
E.g. Jeff and Sally played basketball after school. (They)
My mum and I enjoyed gardening. (We)
The mountainside is covered in blue flowers. (It)

The object pronouns receive the action done by the subject and they're found in the predicate.
E.g. Failing the test was the worst thing that could happen to Janet. (Her)
A huge rock rolled down the hill and nearly hit John and me. (Us)
This instruction manual belongs with the TV set. (It)

Going by the aforementioned dear OP, to begin a sentence with 'them' is ungrammatical.
This is the basic explanation that teachers possibly give to students, but let's think outside the box.

"Her" is an objective pronoun, but we can easily start a sentence with it.

For example:
Her book is on the table.
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by Nwaotu10(m): 10:31am On Sep 23, 2023
Them mama grin
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by marcopollo(m): 5:40pm On Sep 23, 2023
- "Them apples were ripe for the picking!"
- "Them cows were grazing in the field."
- "Them birds were chirping in the trees."
- "Them flowers were blooming in the garden."
- "Them fish were swimming in the lake."
- "Them children were playing in the park."
- "Them bees were buzzing around the hive."
- "Them waves were crashing against the shore."
- "Them leaves were falling from the trees."
These sentences, though, technically not correct grammatically, but used more colloquially and in speech.
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by placeofallure(f): 6:26pm On Sep 23, 2023
Merry100:

This is the basic explanation that teachers possibly give to students, but let's think outside the box.

"Her" is an objective pronoun, but we can easily start a sentence with it.

For example:
Her book is on the table.

No, that's not you thinking outside the box. It's you mixing things up.

This is it. When you talk about some pronouns being subjective or objective in nature, this division has to do only with personal pronouns.

When you use 'her' within the context - Her book is on the table, then you have used 'her' as a possessive pronoun. It's no longer functioning as a personal pronoun.
We have other types of pronouns apart from Personal and Possessive pronouns like: Reflexive, Relative, Demonstrative, Reciprocal, Indefinite, Interrogative and more. A word (pronoun) may belong to several groups of pronouns depending on its function in the sentence.
E.g. The pen which you gave me has been broken - Relative
Which of these pens is yours? Interrogative

In grammar, you don't consider words in isolation, you may end up commiting blunders. Check out the contextual meaning of the words before you draw your inferences.
Thank you.
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by Merry100: 6:37pm On Sep 23, 2023
placeofallure:

No, that's not you thinking outside the box. It's you mixing things up.

This is it. When you talk about some pronouns being subjective or objective in nature, this division has to do only with personal pronouns.

When you use 'her' within the context - Her book is on the table, then you have used 'her' as a possessive pronoun. It's no longer functioning as a personal pronoun.
We have other types of pronouns apart from Personal and Possessive pronouns like: Reflexive, Relative, Demonstrative, Reciprocal, Indefinite, Interrogative and more. A word (pronoun) may belong to several groups of pronouns depending on its function in the sentence.
E.g. The pen which you gave me has been broken - Relative
Which of these pens is yours? Interrogative

In grammar, you don't consider words in isolation, you may end up commiting blunders. Check out the contextual meaning of the words before you draw your inferences.
Thank you.

You are misunderstanding my point. The fact that some objective pronouns can function as other pronouns is what I am driving at and I already explained that some objective pronouns can function as other pronouns in my previous comment.

Don't look at it from our own perspective because in Nigeria, English is our official language and it is widely spoken. Many people are already accustomed to speaking English, and some don't even know the rules of English but can speak it properly.

Look at it from a non-English speaker's perspective. You cannot simply tell a non-English speaker that objective pronouns fall under personal pronouns and cannot be used to begin a sentence without further explaining that some objective pronouns can also fall under other groups of pronouns and be used to start a sentence.

Merry100:
It is not impossible to use objective pronouns to begin a sentence in certain contexts; however, it is generally better to avoid using objective pronouns, especially those that do not also belong to subjective pronouns. They are neither necessary nor easy to use, so we can just construct them for fun activities such as this one.

Objective pronouns are:
It (also a subjective pronoun)
Me
Us
You (also a subjective pronoun)
Her (also a possessive pronoun)
Him
Them
Whom (also an interrogative pronoun)

How can "them" be considered impossible to use to begin a sentence simply because it is an objective pronoun? That is not a logical explanation. "Whom," "her," and "him" are also objective pronouns, yet they can be used to begin a sentence in certain formal contexts.

Examples:
* Whom did you give my money to?
* Her house is on fire.
* Her books were later found inside the house.
* Him in their house, just acting like a chef to deceive them, is not fair.

In conclusion
There are several types of pronouns, and some objective pronouns also fall within another group of pronouns. That might be why it is possible to use them to start a sentence.
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by placeofallure(f): 8:29pm On Sep 23, 2023
Merry100:

You are misunderstanding my point. The fact that some objective pronouns can function as other pronouns is what I am driving at and I already explained that some objective pronouns can function as other pronouns in my previous comment.

Don't look at it from our own perspective because in Nigeria, English is our official language and it is widely spoken. Many people are already accustomed to speaking English, and some don't even know the rules of English but can speak it properly.

Look at it from a non-English speaker's perspective. You cannot simply tell a non-English speaker that objective pronouns fall under personal pronouns and cannot be used to begin a sentence without further explaining that some objective pronouns can also fall under other groups of pronouns.

Ok
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 23, 2023
In all my life, I've never come across a sentence starting with 'Them'.

The Op is a confusionist.
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by NairaGPT: 9:46pm On Sep 23, 2023
Allthelight:
How can a sentence in English start with them. . take english classes

Them is an objective class not a subjective case...
Certainly, here are three more sentences starting with "them":

1. Them understanding the importance of cybersecurity, the company implemented robust encryption protocols and regular security audits to protect sensitive customer data.

2. Them being leaders in their respective fields, the company’s executives provided valuable insights into market trends and guided the strategic direction of the organization.

3. Them having extensive experience in project management, the newly formed task force successfully streamlined workflows and increased overall productivity within the organization.
Re: If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:24pm On Sep 23, 2023
TemplarLandry:
1. Them I gave the money.
2. Them we don't have respect for.
3. Them we didn't vote for.

Jara: *in Asake's voice* “Dem never see something…” 😊

I dedicate “Loaded” by Empire feat. Tiwa Savage x Asake to everyone who loves wordplay.
Great jam!
All these are not correct. English doesn't start with such word.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Misogyny- Hatred Of Women. / Don't Open If You Won't Say Anything! (urgent Advice Needed) / Is Pregnancy The Latest Trend?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.