Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,628 members, 7,847,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 10:40 PM

Oby Says Our Roads Cant Be Fixed In Our Life Time - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oby Says Our Roads Cant Be Fixed In Our Life Time (658 Views)

'Buhari, Bring Back Our Roads' - Tayo Ogunbiyi (Punch) / Hajiya Yusuf Who Died At The Hajj Stampede Pictured With Oby Ezekwesili / Who Says Our Economy Is Booming When More Than 40 Million Youths Are Jobless? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oby Says Our Roads Cant Be Fixed In Our Life Time by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 18, 2011
London – Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Monday charged Nigerians living abroad to adopt a more constructive attitude toward the unity, peace and development of their fatherland.

Obasanjo gave the advice in London at the launch of a book entitled: “The Blue Ocean: Peace, Power, Prosperity ” written by Miss Antoinette-Rita Opeyemi.

The former leader while alluding to a song entitled, “Nigeria Jaga-Jaga and Yama-Yama’’ by a Nigerian artiste, condemned the self-loathing attitude of some Nigerians especially those living abroad.
[b]
Obasanjo, who was also the Chief Launcher at the event, berated further those who did not see or say anything good about the country, saying “For me, Nigeria is not Yama-Yama; for me, Nigeria is not Jaga-Jaga.

“If you say your country is Jaga-Jaga and Yama-yama; then how do you expect others to see it?,’’ Obasanjo as said.

“I normally say to Nigerians abroad who will say, `well we will come home when you fix the roads,’ well you will never come.

“[/b]The truth is that we will never fix all the roads we need to fix today in Nigeria, like U.K, America and others in your life time.

“If all you are waiting for is Nigeria to be fixed, then you are finished because we want you to be a contributor to fixing Nigeria,’’ Obasanjo said.

The former leader who commended the author for her outstanding qualities, described her as an achiever and exemplary Nigerian.

He noted that Opeyemi in her own way, had contributed positively by projecting the image of the country in the UK.

“We must encourage our achievers and appreciate them; I believe for appreciating Opeyemi; we are also encouraging others to strive hard to achieve,’’ he said.

Obasanjo urged every Nigerian to contribute their own quota toward the greatness of the country

Earlier, Dr Dalhatu Tafida, then Nigerian High Commissioner to the UK and the Court of St. James, commended the author for her determination, devotion and discipline.

Tafida who described Antoinette as a role model, urged Nigerian youths in the UK to emulate her distinctive qualities

“They must stay focused on their studies and explore the immense opportunities in the UK which would enable them to realise their full potential,’’ he said.

The Envoy, who commended Opeyemi’s parents for the good upbringing of their daughter, appealed to Nigerian parents in the UK to rise up to the challenges of bringing up their children.

“They (Parents) must seek to uphold the positive aspects of life in this country without jettisoning Nigeria’s rich traditions and culture, including respect for the family, authority and the fear of God,’’ the envoy said.

Opeyemi, 21, who started writing poetry at the age of six said “with the beauty of poetry, I intend to touch and impact on as many people as possible.’’ (NAN)
Re: Oby Says Our Roads Cant Be Fixed In Our Life Time by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 18, 2011
[b]“If you say your country is Jaga-Jaga and Yama-yama; then how do you expect others to see it?,’’ [/b]Obasanjo as said.

This is such a re tarded reason for why we shouldnt talk about the disgusting state of Nigeria.

So I should voice what I see because others who obviously see the same thing I see, might not see it? 

Oi!! Feeling dizzy.

I doubt that this report is real.
Re: Oby Says Our Roads Cant Be Fixed In Our Life Time by kurlarday: 7:26pm On Oct 18, 2011
Reason or no reason, what good do you get in describing your country as Jaga-Jaga? Tell me any country in this world that is not Yama-Yama.Yorubas will say 'Kaluku abi ti e Lara'.Instead of seeing solutions and opportunities in the Jagajagaism, we waste valuable time that could have been used in prayers or researching remedies when we open our mouth to condemn Nigeria. No matter how you present it, Nigeria is Nigeria, it is for us and by us.Shikenna!
Re: Oby Says Our Roads Cant Be Fixed In Our Life Time by Nobody: 6:51am On Oct 19, 2011
our leaders are leading us astray, A REVOLUTION WILL SOON KICK OFF AM SEEING FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL AS THE CATALYST, ITS GOING TOO WORSE THAN EGYPT AND LIBYA.
Re: Oby Says Our Roads Cant Be Fixed In Our Life Time by ektbear: 6:57am On Oct 19, 2011
Why can't the roads be fixed in my lifetime?  undecided

It shouldn't take more than a couple of decades to have great roads if one sets it as a priority, let alone a lifetime  undecided
Re: Oby Says Our Roads Cant Be Fixed In Our Life Time by slimyem: 7:06am On Oct 19, 2011
what negative thinking!
Well,he probably knows the extent of the mess the country's in.he might be right by his words.the roads cant be fixed in HIS lifetime,IBB's lifetime,Buhari's lifetime and that of other tyrannist but it surely will be fixed as soon as they are gone in my own lifetime.i strongly hope and believe in this country.

(1) (Reply)

Mental Health Of Pdp’s Kogi Governorship Candidate Throws State Into Confusion / jjj / Is Nlc Obliged To Obey Black Market Judgment?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.