Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,996 members, 7,814,395 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) (42183 Views)

Gaboon Viper Killed By University Of Ibadan 400L Agriculture Students (Photos) / Halloween Costumes Of FUNAAB Microbiology Final Year Students (Photos) / Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Fearyourcreator: 10:47am On Sep 26, 2023
Tonnierichy:
This is serious

Y'all asked for better education, well it starts from here. Once you start paying the huge amounts, they'll be able to put lots of things in place. Get used to it.

All these cheap education that only attract insult from you people when you travel overseas is enough. It's time to face world class realities.
You dey mind many of them .. they want it cheap and with good quality.. things they can't get in west they praise like gods
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by SmartPolician: 10:49am On Sep 26, 2023
nairalanda1:
The harsh truth is that our universites are broke and broke and broke.

The harsh truth also is that even with the fee increase, that is still chicken change.

Whenever ASUU goes on strike, everyone tells them to shut up and go back to work. So they do. Meanwhile the university system remains cash strapped.

In 2009, Government made a promise. By 2013, Government was saying they could not keep that promise. At the end, universites remain cash strapped.

If we want FIRST CLASS UNIVERSITES...we have to pay FIRST CLASS FEES.

Heck, the then VC of ABU in 2018 made a speech where he pointed out that his overheads for the university were N600million. Government was giving him 120million of the funds needed. Where was he going to find the rest of the money?

P.S : ABU is a very large university by landmass and space. Visit the place, and you will see why their VC has to raise fees to find money for the place.

Nigerian universities should be creative.

Don't depend on tuition alone.

Borrow money from bank and invest it in profitable areas: utilize your arable land for farming, invest in FMCG, and other areas to make money.

Also, appeal for foreign grants to finance your research and use parts of the money to develop your university.

We have a lot of people who cannot think running the university. That's why the only language we understand in Nigerian schools is graduating with first class or second class to get a good job.

Nobody talks about graduates accessing grants to start their own business because they don't prioritise entrepreneurship in Nigerian schools.

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Fearyourcreator: 10:50am On Sep 26, 2023
SmartPolician:
This one na peanuts. Compare it to UK schools that charge £30,000 (#34 million) per annum.

If not for yeye government, why would anyone consider paying about £20k (#22 million) in tuition and they still tell you that they gave you mumu scholarship? undecided
Come pay £15k here na
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by AK481(m): 10:51am On Sep 26, 2023
Only obidients are paying the new fees
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Fearyourcreator: 10:51am On Sep 26, 2023
YoungLionken:
It's better to spend or invest heavily on a foreign certificate than same with a Nigerian institution undecided...
How much you dey pay here wey you dey shout ... oniyeye ... abi no be the same bsc you go take do masters for there .. eleregbe....
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by gidjah(m): 10:52am On Sep 26, 2023
mrdharkchild:
Shut up and pay the fees bro. Why do Nigerians like complaining. Complain to your president, make we hear word
you shouted at an adult to SHUT UP !! that's demeaning on your ego, very UN African. I think you should apologize to him even if I can't find him replying you yet.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Fearyourcreator: 10:53am On Sep 26, 2023
Zupay:
Truth is that N409, 625 for fees is not much for a PhD program. Me whey go Kenya go do another 3 years bachelors degree, I was hustling and paying an equivalent of $540 per trimester as at 2017 and we had 3 trimesters in a year.......My UK one year Masters no be £13,700 I pay?
You dey mind them
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Freebills12: 10:53am On Sep 26, 2023
[color=#770077][/color]
Tonnierichy:
This is serious

Y'all asked for better education, well it starts from here. Once you start paying the huge amounts, they'll be able to put lots of things in place. Get used to it.

All these cheap education that only attract insult from you people when you travel overseas is enough. It's time to face world class realities.

If education here in Nigeria is below standard, this holistic hunt for medical doctors, nurses, professionals by the white people should not have been in existence. Call a spade a spade. Stop making excuses for Tinibu.

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Tonnierichy(m): 10:55am On Sep 26, 2023
Freebills12:
[color=#770077][/color]

Stop being stupid! If education here in Nigeria is below standard, this holistic hunt for medical doctors, nurses, professionals by the white people should not have been in existence. Call a spade a spade. Stop making excuses for Tinibu.
And you had to call me stupid? You could just make your point and move on.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Faposky95: 10:57am On Sep 26, 2023
kingi777:
It's truly unfortunate for students that cannot affrd the school fees but in earnest, ABU is considerate here considering the cost of running the University eg payment of electricity bill etc.

No,dem for use candle teach, like na free...what excuse....?!
The Fed. Universities and their so call dons have done us in......
Why can't the system bring about the paradigm shifts it's community needs.
One day be one day......
We no go go schu again
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by moderngist(m): 10:57am On Sep 26, 2023
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by gidjah(m): 10:58am On Sep 26, 2023
That UK matter tire me , I mean Nigerians go pay up millions person session without blinking eyes and won't yet get serious jobs after and within school seasons,but ask them to come home and pay 500k at the public school so as to Behind UP our public glorified
Higher Institutions, they will be condemning the Govt.Our Schools won't improve unless we pump funds in to running them or we hive them TOTAL AUTONOMY OR PARTIAL AUTONOMY
SmartPolician:
This one na peanuts. Compare it to UK schools that charge £30,000 (#34 million) per annum.

If not for yeye government, why would anyone consider paying about £20k (#22 million) in tuition and they still tell you that they gave you mumu scholarship? undecided

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Tonnierichy(m): 10:59am On Sep 26, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

You dey mind many of them .. they want it cheap and with good quality.. things they can't get in west they praise like gods
Their matter don tire me.

I have friends studying in the UK with a lot of money. They claim there's nothing special about what the lecturers teach there, aside from the fact that they have freedom to tackle lecturers in class.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Shattuck(m): 10:59am On Sep 26, 2023
Emmamay10:
More reasons why I have been hoping and anticipating my study visa to be approved, so that I can ' elope' for my PhD Programme in a foreign land. It's more of a scholarship. God, nah beg, I dey beg.
How did you get the scholarship?
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Svoboda(m): 10:59am On Sep 26, 2023
Tonnierichy:
This is serious

Well said.

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Faposky95: 10:59am On Sep 26, 2023
Tonnierichy:
This is serious

So the reason for the eff ups was it's been cheap all along....?!
You'll give reason why Christ should visit hell a second time.....!!!!!!
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by nairalanda1(m): 11:00am On Sep 26, 2023
SmartPolician:

Nigerian universities should be creative.

Don't depend on tuition alone.

Borrow money from bank and invest it in profitable areas: utilize your arable land for farming, invest in FMCG, and other areas to make money.

Also, appeal for foreign grants to finance your research and use parts of the money to develop your university.

We have a lot of people who cannot think running the university. That's why the only language we understand in Nigerian schools is graduating with first class or second class to get a good job.

Nobody talks about graduates accessing grants to start their own business because they don't prioritise entrepreneurship in Nigerian schools.

You think they are not doing all that, and more|?

ABU even has a lot of business ventures self.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Tonnierichy(m): 11:01am On Sep 26, 2023
Faposky95:

So the reason for the eff ups was it's been cheap all along....?!
You'll give reason why Christ should visit hell a second time.....!!!!!!
Okay I will
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Freebills12: 11:01am On Sep 26, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
SmartPolician:

Stop comparing both! £20,000 is the same as N20,000. Its only bad government policy that killed our currency. Those living in UK are being paid in Pounds not in Naira.

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by nairalanda1(m): 11:01am On Sep 26, 2023
ambale:

Baba i know what im saying here, Did you see or hear anywhere that the school intends to improve their facilities with the new funds, the increase is simply because expenses has increased for them

Lets not deceive ourselves, all these guys no rate us as people at all

Im sure in the next few years we would still talk about decay of infrastructures in our institutions

The one buhari squandered for 8 years nko?

So, the university should borrow money to pay for its expenses, eh?
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by samcolee(m): 11:01am On Sep 26, 2023
Emir8:
I'm in faculty of education. I paid 122, 000 naira for school fees and 33, 000 for miscellaneous charges last session for PhD program. That is 155,000 in total. Now I will have to pay 409, 625. I'm really depressed. This is too much.
If minimum wage doesn't increase by x4 I wonder how people will afford things
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 11:04am On Sep 26, 2023
Tonnierichy:
This is serious

The problem of Nigerian universities isn't funding, it is corruption. So far Tetfund and NEEDS assessment funds are stolen, the excess fees will surely be stolen.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by gidjah(m): 11:05am On Sep 26, 2023
I left ZARIA 2001 and yet the structures were already at a dilapidated state as way back as then.I DONT WISH to even pass by ZARIA again so as not to imagine d faceless/destroyed and abandoned buildings that would have occupied the school premises as against the fairly ages structures we had then.OUR NATION IS TOO BACKWARD ABEG,and this is seriously affecting our mentality as individuals and as cooperate. THE MAJOR TROUBLE HERE BEEN CURSED LEADERSHIP
nairalanda1:
The harsh truth is that our universites are broke and broke and broke.

The harsh truth also is that even with the fee increase, that is still chicken change.

Whenever ASUU goes on strike, everyone tells them to shut up and go back to work. So they do. Meanwhile the university system remains cash strapped.

In 2009, Government made a promise. By 2013, Government was saying they could not keep that promise. At the end, universites remain cash strapped.

If we want FIRST CLASS UNIVERSITES...we have to pay FIRST CLASS FEES.

Heck, the then VC of ABU in 2018 made a speech where he pointed out that his overheads for the university were N600million. Government was giving him 120million of the funds needed. Where was he going to find the rest of the money?

P.S : ABU is a very large university by landmass and space. Visit the place, and you will see why their VC has to raise fees to find money for the place.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by SmartPolician: 11:07am On Sep 26, 2023
gidjah:
That UK matter tire me , I mean Nigerians go pay up millions person session without blinking eyes and won't yet get serious jobs after and within school seasons,but ask them to come home and pay 500k at the public school so as to Behind UP our public glorified
Higher Institutions, they will be condemning the Govt.Our Schools won't improve unless we pump funds in to running them or we hive them TOTAL AUTONOMY OR PARTIAL AUTONOMY

Bros, let's face it. Two category of Nigerians school abroad. Those who come from privileged families and those who source funds to finance their abroad studies because they want to Japa. For the second category where most people fall into, it is a lifetime investment that will pay forever.

As for pumping money into school, it's high time we stopped deceiving ourselves. Nigeria is not a rich country. How on earth does someone convince us that a country of 220 million with a little over $400 billion in GDP is rich?

You see, those who run our schools should be more creative. Use your arable lands to make money, start useful research and attract foreign financers, borrow money from banks and invest it in areas that pay like FMCG, real estate, etc. In summary, if person no get money, at least make e try get sense.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by annisy(f): 11:08am On Sep 26, 2023
I have said these time without number Africans are not intelligent!! Some clown will try to justify this price hike, Africans have no business paying a kobo for education in Africa we are still a primitive and backward race and for we to catch up with others we need free, compulsory and access to quality education at all levels!
I still remember how Russia abi na ussr scammed us when we asked them to build ajokuta steel company for us, they built a plant that requires coal from their country to function and our leaders were all happy and jubilating (morons)
If our educational system in free, compulsory, quality and accessible. most of our challenges will be addressed by our educational institution and the mistake of ajokuta steel company won't have occurred ....
It is a crime for africans to be paying for education in Africa stop comparing us with the west
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Tonnierichy(m): 11:14am On Sep 26, 2023
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

The problem of Nigerian universities isn't funding, it is corruption. So far Tetfund and NEEDS assessment funds are stolen, the excess fees will surely be stolen.
I'm not even saying corruption don't exist in our institutions, but that still don't mean they are adequately funded.

The major reason the VCs and other stakeholders that are involved in this mindless atrocities of embezzlement are hardly probed is because they are political appointees.

It'll take the effort of a corrupt-free, result oriented and ruthless minister to really sanitize the system.

However, I'll still maintain my position that our learning Institutions are being underfunded. You just have to compare our funding to that of developed countries to know.

The amount we budget on education here is way too little.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 11:15am On Sep 26, 2023
gidjah:
You people are the main problem of Nigeria's educational system. Monies are pumped into universities courtesy of Tetfund and monies for NEEDS assessment projects are given in billions to universities, many projects are abandoned and the funds stolen. I have witnessed mismanagement of funds by consultants in connivance with University management, yet you feel it is the extra fees paid by these students that will be utilised? Small thing you will start comparing everything with UK. The management of British schools are not theives like ours.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by nairalanda1(m): 11:15am On Sep 26, 2023
gidjah:
I left ZARIA 2001 and yet the structures were already at a dilapidated state as way back as then.I DONT WISH to even pass by ZARIA again so as not to imagine d faceless/destroyed and abandoned buildings that would have occupied the school premises as against the fairly ages structures we had then.OUR NATION IS TOO BACKWARD ABEG,and this is seriously affecting our mentality as individuals and as cooperate. THE MAJOR TROUBLE HERE BEEN CURSED LEADERSHIP

It is not a matter of backwardness, it is a matter of money

Most of our universities don't get enough money to build and maintain superior structures. Because all those things cost MONEY...and a lot of it.

Yet we expect our universities to look like Euro-American universities at a fraction of the cost.

Leadership is bad, but if we wanted our universities to look good, we

1.Either pay fees upwards of 30000 dollars or more yearly OR

2.Pay taxes amounting to half our income , both for the rich and poor, to fund free education.

3.Hope that someone like Bill Gates has a few spare billions to spare for the endowment fund.

As the immediate past VC of ABU said, if you want Cambridge level degrees, pay Cambridge level fees.

I always hear leadership is cursed in Nigeria...then the same person comes and say that they are bad because they do not give free education like the one in the UK , France, and Denmark.....yet does not want our leaders to charge us taxes at the rate they do in the UK, FRANCE and denmark because we are poor. Well, how do you think those countries pay for quality education.

Then there is the US, where fees are so expensive taking a loan is derigeur (Some schools may reduce your fees in return for good academic performance, but at the end, money must be paid.)
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by Fearyourcreator: 11:18am On Sep 26, 2023
Tonnierichy:

Their matter don tire me.

I have friends studying in the UK with a lot of money. They claim there's nothing special about what the lecturers teach there, aside from the fact that they have freedom to tackle lecturers in class.
Lolzzz!
When we no dey value our own we no go wan pay ... problem with Africa is more of our mentality...
Some will say light day water dey bla bla... I will like se na free ... will you pay same amount you pay there for same service here... they won't ... God knows ... they know how much they pay mechanics for repair there but will come here not wanting to pay same ... I just laugh

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by gidjah(m): 11:19am On Sep 26, 2023
Hmmm it is well. Honestly the nation is doomed with evil leadership.Thia country is blessed ,she is really blessed.i grew up to find things a bit easy on parents way back, I attended public school all through and can fairly compete with my counterparts that opted out to white man's land. Our patriotism, honesty and loyalty to a TRUE CAUSE is d problem here.Virtually all our leaders are self centered and never transparent.See for instance this one at the helm , just to pubilcly present your cert from school come become huge wahalla !!what does it take a nations number one man to be open and loyal to the constitution that brought him IN ??can you begin to see where we missed it ?? Untill we begin to correct this one lopsided style of leadership, Nigeria will continue to lag behind in reality but yet claim giant of Africa every now and then. (quote author=SmartPolician post=126028429]

Bros, let's face it. Two category of Nigerians school abroad. Those who come from privileged families and those who source funds to finance their abroad studies because they want to Japa. For the second category where most people fall into, it is a lifetime investment that will pay forever.

As for pumping money into school, it's high time we stopped deceiving ourselves. Nigeria is not a rich country. How on earth does someone convince us that a country of 220 million with a little over $400 billion in GDP is rich?

You see, those who run our schools should be more creative. Use your arable lands to make money, start useful research and attract foreign financers, borrow money from banks and invest it in areas that pay like FMCG, real estate, etc. In summary, if person no get money, at least make e try get sense. [/quote]
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) by gidjah(m): 11:22am On Sep 26, 2023
Once we get leadership election or selection right , this matters you state here are simple to manage sir.We keep missing when we elect or select men with questionable characters , it's gonna get worst then...
nairalanda1:

It is not a matter of backwardness, it is a matter of money

Most of our universities don't get enough money to build and maintain superior structures. Because all those things cost MONEY...and a lot of it.

Yet we expect our universities to look like Euro-American universities at a fraction of the cost.

Leadership is bad, but if we wanted our universities to look good, we

1.Either pay fees upwards of 30000 dollars or more yearly OR

2.Pay taxes amounting to half our income , both for the rich and poor, to fund free education.

3.Hope that someone like Bill Gates has a few spare billions to spare for the endowment fund.

As the immediate past VC of ABU said, if you want Cambridge level degrees, pay Cambridge level fees.

I always hear leadership is cursed in Nigeria...then the same person comes and say that they are bad because they do not give free education like the one in the UK , France, and Denmark.....yet does not want our leaders to charge us taxes at the rate they do in the UK, FRANCE and denmark because we are poor. Well, how do you think those countries pay for quality education.

Then there is the US, where fees are so expensive taking a loan is derigeur (Some schools may reduce your fees in return for good academic performance, but at the end, money must be paid.)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

University Students Demand Professor Be Fired For Saying There Are Only 2 Sexes / Federal Polytechnic Oko Bans Beard, Afro Hair And Trousers, Students Reacts / Pictures Of Nice Structures In Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.