Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. (19225 Views)

Moment Mexico Arrest Entire Police Force Of A Town Over Murder(pics) / What You Really Need To Know About Police Force Around The World(Photos) / My Encounter With The Nigerian POLICE Force Today. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by jojothaiv(m): 8:58am On Sep 27, 2023
I've learnt not to push my hope too far whenever the name NPF, NDA, current administration or anything Nigeria is being mention this days...

Artiiclebeast:
The government and those within it's circles aren't in any way separate nor can they be separated from the citizens/governed.

The government is a selection of citizens who graduate to positions of governance.

This sentiments is also shared on Quora.
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by Nice2023(m): 8:59am On Sep 27, 2023
That part of Nigeria u talked about are full of noise makers.
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by ibrocool(m): 8:59am On Sep 27, 2023
What you witnessed was a result of bad force men and Nigerians in general always try to show they have mouth to talk when someone is trying to play cool with them.

This is the main reason why you can't get something good from Nigerians by playing nice. They will just take you for granted.
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by windvane(m): 8:59am On Sep 27, 2023
Henrypraise:
When a catholic bishop said the judges of the Supreme court are not from Singapore but scions of same badly bred Nigerians, some persons nodded in unionism because their ox was in the fight, not really because we hoped to do better or adapt to cause change.

Once same Nigerians are opporturned to stand in the podium of power to make decisions, the wrong choices are always made.

Today, I was in a shuttle on my way to koka coming from Asaba Airport, as we approached Mariam Babangida junction, some rag tag looking group of government armed men flagged us, I quickly scanned for badges, squad title and possible name/ number tags, the only remarkable identity I saw was anti cult vest donned by a gun wielding, young "officer".

While I was doing my mental scan, I became at ease when he spoke calmly and explained they are on a survey mission and if the shuttle driver wouldn't mind, he should pack and stop for a few survey questions. Immediately this "officer" spoke calmly, the guys inside the shuttle with me raised their voices and became instantly rebellious, I reclused myself mentally from the revolt and watched the psychological defeat of Nigerians who everyday cry for better synergy and treatment between civil and forced individuals...

I bet if the "officer" had spoken in the normal NPF fashion, no one would have been motivated to say pim. The best would have been to murmur and curse under one's breath...

It was when the shuttle developed fault just a few meters away that I knew all the talk of "I am late for work" bla bla bla were just shalaye and yen yen yen put together, people who were in a hurry couldn't come down to board another shuttle for 100 naira... Everyone including yours sincerely had to wait for the driver to trouble shoot.

So in a nutshell, do you think Nigerians
will be more responsible and cooperative when talked to with respect and courtesy Or rebellion will increase
I feel most Nigerians don't know how to address the Nigerian policemen.i can tell you one thing for sure,I live in lagos,I am an indigene of lagos.for the past 4-5 years I have drove 5-6 different cars without number plate and I have never had an argument with the NPF.i get stopped and It only lasted few seconds and I leave.no matter the policeman,once you know how to talk to them,you are good to go

1 Like

Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by NotMagicBishop: 9:00am On Sep 27, 2023
Why does the OP sound like an ongoing demonization of the Nigerian police force towards justifying the ongoing senseless murder of her policemen and women?
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by DrTee1(m): 9:01am On Sep 27, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
The government and those within it's circles aren't in any way separate nor can they be separated from the citizens/governed.

The government is a selection of citizens who graduate to positions of governance.

This is the truth. The government is a reflection of our general character. The government is not the problem. We are the problem.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by pembisco(m): 9:01am On Sep 27, 2023
Yampotatocarrot:
So you met a policeman who spoke calmly and, maybe 3 passengers who replied roughly and all of a sudden, they are nice and angels from heaven?
Abeg help me ask the op?
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by 3RNEST(m): 9:01am On Sep 27, 2023
Na wa... grin

Come WhatsApp Link, let's show u how to make money from survey.
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by HRMK: 9:04am On Sep 27, 2023
NIGERIANS DO NOT NEED A GODLY MAN TO RULE THEM!THAT IS THE TRUTH!!
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by olamilarks(m): 9:04am On Sep 27, 2023
Henrypraise:
When a catholic bishop said the judges of the Supreme court are not from Singapore but scions of same badly bred Nigerians, some persons nodded in unionism because their ox was in the fight, not really because we hoped to do better or adapt to cause change.

Once same Nigerians are opporturned to stand in the podium of power to make decisions, the wrong choices are always made.

Today, I was in a shuttle on my way to koka coming from Asaba Airport, as we approached Mariam Babangida junction, some rag tag looking group of government armed men flagged us, I quickly scanned for badges, squad title and possible name/ number tags, the only remarkable identity I saw was anti cult vest donned by a gun wielding, young "officer".

While I was doing my mental scan, I became at ease when he spoke calmly and explained they are on a survey mission and if the shuttle driver wouldn't mind, he should pack and stop for a few survey questions. Immediately this "officer" spoke calmly, the guys inside the shuttle with me raised their voices and became instantly rebellious, I reclused myself mentally from the revolt and watched the psychological defeat of Nigerians who everyday cry for better synergy and treatment between civil and forced individuals...

I bet if the "officer" had spoken in the normal NPF fashion, no one would have been motivated to say pim. The best would have been to murmur and curse under one's breath...

It was when the shuttle developed fault just a few meters away that I knew all the talk of "I am late for work" bla bla bla were just shalaye and yen yen yen put together, people who were in a hurry couldn't come down to board another shuttle for 100 naira... Everyone including yours sincerely had to wait for the driver to trouble shoot.

will be more responsible and cooperative when talked to with respect and courtesy Or rebellion will increase
I think we translate calmness as weakness in these parts.
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by TOPCRUISE(m): 9:09am On Sep 27, 2023
How do you upgrade or motivate a defeated morality. Our mentality towards the police have been defeated from inception. No matter how moral they look, our views towards them will never change.
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by Dhury: 9:09am On Sep 27, 2023
Someone should translate it to English for me please.
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by nedekid: 9:10am On Sep 27, 2023
illicit:
Nigerians like to prey on the weak

When a Nigerian speaks softly, other Nigerians might take them for granted
Exactly.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by DebbieNotNice: 9:17am On Sep 27, 2023
Heya
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by kabe1: 9:18am On Sep 27, 2023
Henrypraise:

No, when you treat must Nigerians with respect and kid gloves, they'll instantly take advantage of you.

I'll rather say give respect to those who respect you in return.
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by money121(m): 9:18am On Sep 27, 2023
POLICE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by Henrypraise: 9:18am On Sep 27, 2023
Yampotatocarrot:
So you met a policeman who spoke calmly and, maybe 3 passengers who replied roughly and all of a sudden, they are nice and angels from heaven?

What about the number of times Nigerians were calm and cooperative and policemen refused to do otherwise? What about the times Nigerians were stereotyped just for their hairstyle and for having beards?

I was in a Keke few Sundays back and a young guy was asked to alight... Asked where he was heading to for him to dress that way (he wore senator with palm o)... Asked to empty his bag, empty his pocket and open his phone. He asked them to empty his bag themselves in the glare of everyone that he doesn't want accidental discharge say them think say him wan comot gun or any other frivolous reasons... Refused to open his phone asking why they wanted to check it

The boss in the police van had to wave to the subordinates to allow him go, seeing that we in the Keke refused to leave the guy and zoom off as requested

This is what happens CONSTANTLY and just because you met a policeman who spoke calmly, you're now trying to twist the narrative... E be like say you no well abi? (No insults intended)

You are sounding frustrated mate... Easy on yourself...
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by Keme4Real(f): 9:20am On Sep 27, 2023
The police is your is not your friend.

What am I even saying?
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by Meerahbel: 9:24am On Sep 27, 2023
windvane:
I feel most Nigerians don't know how to address the Nigerian policemen.i can tell you one thing for sure,I live in lagos,I am an indigene of lagos.for the past 4-5 years I have drove 5-6 different cars without number plate and I have never had an argument with the NPF.i get stopped and It only lasted few seconds and I leave.no matter the policeman,once you know how to talk to them,you are good to go
Which area of Lagos?
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by flexyrule(m): 9:26am On Sep 27, 2023
windvane:
Same here. Nigerians are rude, uncouth and annoyingly wicked.
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by Muyiii(m): 9:27am On Sep 27, 2023
Let me respond to your open question with an event I witnessed over the weekend at a car wash (please note this event took place outside Nigeria).
Now…as folks drove in with their cars for a wash, they queue up, there was two queues. You could either wait in your car or give the key to the manager and the move your car till it gets to your turn.
So this one car parked ahead of others was locked and the owner was no where to be found, thereby causing jam-lock for others to move their vehicles further on the queue. So, the car wash manager started looking for the owner of the vehicle impeding others, and they couldn’t find him/her.
So, they had to devise a way for others to drive past the parked car. The owner later came after an hour or so (a Nigerian from his accent) and he started yelling why are others serviced before him and started throwing tantrums ..he was like “do you know who I am” blah blah. I hope you get the morale of the story.
FYI We Nigerian are unruly
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by matm: 9:30am On Sep 27, 2023
You will get good police officers among the high ranking ones.
They will tell you the truth when handling caeses even if you were d complainant dt brought an accused to d station.
I have seen a high ranking police officer lock up a complainant when he discovered the accused was detained unjustly, and set d detainee free .
If u are a police officer, try to find out if an accused is an object of intimidation by the complainant and help him, even if u were offered money.
For hewho defends and protects the righteous, is unknowingly building multitude of divine attention in his/her life.
Among junior police officers, if someone offers u money to oppress the just, reject it .
For what a man sows, he shall reap.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by flexyrule(m): 9:30am On Sep 27, 2023
Meerahbel:
Which area of Lagos?
Anywhere in Lagos. I drove in Lagos for months, never had a single issue with any police.

10m from their check point, I'll dim my headlights, put on my inner lights, lower down my radio, lower down all my windows and put on a smile.

Once I'm with them, I ensure I always greet them first. And thank the for the selfless services they're offering.

If I have anything to offer them (willingly), I do...

If I don't want to offer the anything.. I'll just sit there and have a few words with them.

I have never ever been asked to clear. They hardly ask me of my car papers.

Mind you, I know very highly placed police officers at the force Headquarters in Abuja, and if it comes to being rugged... I have seen 99.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by pek(m): 9:31am On Sep 27, 2023
Where is the experience?
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by Pootle: 9:34am On Sep 27, 2023
nigerians are one of the most difficult people to govern...jus the simple truth
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by Angelfrost(m): 9:38am On Sep 27, 2023
Well, the evil seed has been sown by decades of poor leadership... It will take more years of consistent good leadership to uproot the roots.

That said... Education must be looked into... How can people graduate from secondary and tertiary institutions and still behave or talk like brutes?!! What are they taught or how are they trained in those institutions?!!

One of the reasons I have never had issues with law enforcement and soldiers is simply because I have a default system of total respect and calmness whenever I am in their midst... This might not be ideal for a lot of people and situations, but it has never failed me.

The truth is... If you check carefully behind most incidents between law enforcement and most Nigerians including the unfortunate events that lead to death, you will see that most never applied this attitude of calmness and respect.

A lot of people in this nation already have a tainted stereotype of all law enforcement agents which already muddies their dealings with them.

Well... National Orientation Agency should get off its lazy and useless ass and do its damn job.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by saintruky(m): 9:40am On Sep 27, 2023
N this yen yen yen post hit front page... na wa
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by odinga1of: 9:41am On Sep 27, 2023
Henrypraise:

Same thing we face here in Warri. Try talk with low tune or simple manner, u will be trample upon.

But immediately u shout on top of your voice, people go respect dia old age
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by Gossi123: 9:45am On Sep 27, 2023
It seems you are describing a situation where armed men, claiming to be on a survey mission, stopped a shuttle and asked the passengers to cooperate with their questions. However, the passengers became resistant and rebellious upon hearing the officer speak calmly, suggesting that his words did not convince them. You imply that if the officer had used a different approach, such as speaking more aggressively, the passengers might have been less inclined to object. Additionally, you mention that when the shuttle developed a fault, the passengers who were initially in a hurry suddenly became less concerned about their schedules and waited for the driver to troubleshoot.

In relation to rangefinders, it appears that you are using the term "survey" metaphorically to describe the officer's attempt to gather information from the passengers. A rangefinder is a device used to measure distances, angles, or heights, often used in surveying, mapping, or military operations. In this context, the officer's "survey" could be seen as a metaphorical use of a rangefinder to gauge the opinions and attitudes of the passengers.

Overall, your message suggests that Nigerians may struggle with trust and cooperation when interacting with authority figures, and that communication styles can play a significant role in determining how situations unfold.
Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by JealousCobra(m): 9:48am On Sep 27, 2023
ILoveFaith:
Any Nigerian with an ample opportunity is a beast

Na una family members not everyone is a beast, Ode!

Because Op cooked this appeasing story that has tingled your illusions, you now came to fool yourself 😎

Re: My Experience With The Nigeria Police Force Today. by ginggerxy: 9:54am On Sep 27, 2023
K

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3 Police Officers Killed At Bayelsa Police Station By Gunmen / Man Who Stole Fish Caught And Beaten Mercilessly (Photos) / Mother Pours Hot Water On Son In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.