Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,216 members, 7,836,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

"For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu (21888 Views)

Have Some Self Respect, He Will Not Help You – American Advises Tinubu Supporter / A Northerner Advises Tinubu On Kano / Shehu Sani Advises Tinubu To Learn From Abiola’s Travails (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by rex21: 4:44pm On Sep 27, 2023
JuanDeDios:

I've seen the figures. We produce 25%. We eat a lot of it, so we don't export 25%. But we're still the largest player as far as that commodity goes - so we can still go for it.
I like to entertain thoughts and ideas, but this your convo is something i'll humbly decline.
How can someone be suggesting we hinge our export bargaining power around something that is worth less than 0.5bn annually. Na wa o

1 Like

Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by Venom11(m): 4:45pm On Sep 27, 2023
Mk una free my G oo.. Drag here drag there shoo
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by rex21: 4:46pm On Sep 27, 2023
[quote author=JuanDeDios post=126056003]
How does using the cassava to commodify the naira amount to "building our currency around" it or stop you from using it for other things? Is it either or?[/quote
What is commodify and naira doing in the same sentence then. If the so called idea is even as you described, it still makes zero sense.
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by rex21: 4:56pm On Sep 27, 2023
JuanDeDios:

How does using the cassava to commodify the naira amount to "building our currency around" it or stop you from using it for other things? Is it either or?

And what's "economic feasibility"? You're out of our depth.

Economic feasibility: the degree to which the economic advantages of something to be made, done, or achieved are greater than the economic costs.
Say every country agrees to this plan, how much will it generate, less than 0.5bn.
Now, we have to agree to pay china in yuan, US in dollar, etc. Whether they use our cassava, we must get their own currency to pay them for whatever we get from them. Remember that we are largely consumers than producers.

Who'll loose out economically (economic feasibility)

1 Like

Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by Fujiyama: 5:07pm On Sep 27, 2023
Nigeria exports very little cassava.

Her impact on global markets for the crop is negligible.

It would be interesting to see what this fellow's plan is. Still not sure if he's trolling cheesy.
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by Ikpunnegi01: 5:14pm On Sep 27, 2023
Taylor92:
I now see why Tinubu was avoiding interviews because he’s so empty upstairs

Tinubu should just leave presidency and venture into farming

I’ve never seen a useless & clueless adult like Tinubu

Imagine the mockery?

How Cassava wan bring solution to this country in coma

I spit on the head of everyone who supported this imbecilee
See ooh! I no follow ;me na Biafra man.. Continue..
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by NAC1666: 5:28pm On Sep 27, 2023
nlfpmod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTZYenx9g2g

A Nigerian journalist was filmed in a viral video giving out advice to President Bola Tinubu as he was heading out of a meeting.

The man who identified himself as Ayodeji Bakare, asked President Bola Tinubu to “use cassava in the commodification of the Naira”.
The solution to Nigeria is adopting Petroeconomic theory
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:34pm On Sep 27, 2023
Ejimeh269:
That journalist is making whole lot of sense but illiterates here are making mockery of him......if only the president could just listen and invite him to share more light how it will work. We need all hands to be on desk to solve Nigeria FX problem.

Explain to us how the journalist made sense.
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by shugamummy: 5:38pm On Sep 27, 2023
Tinubu has uselessed all Agbado brains. They thought a man who spent 8yrs doing nothing other than building a funnel structure which they refer to as blueprint from Lagos treasury to his pockets could do a thing with Nigerian economy. The only happy thing is that Tinubu would build another funnel from Niger Delta oil revenue and Abuja straight to Bourdilon and that cash funnel would spur up Igbo businesses in Lagos and beyond.

Before you comment, ask yourself what would be your comment if Peter Obi used 8yrs to design a shiny document called Blueprint and handed it over to Obiano. Agbado urchins
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:40pm On Sep 27, 2023
twilliamx:

So explain. I have read the meaning of commodification. Tell us how it will help the economic situation of the country.
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by JuanDeDios: 5:42pm On Sep 27, 2023
rex21:

Economic feasibility: the degree to which the economic advantages of something to be made, done, or achieved are greater than the economic costs.
Say every country agrees to this plan, how much will it generate, less than 0.5bn.
Now, we have to agree to pay china in yuan, US in dollar, etc. Whether they use our cassava, we must get their own currency to pay them for whatever we get from them. Remember that we are largely consumers than producers.

Who'll loose out economically (economic feasibility)
What are you talking about? So the US has to get Venezuelan currency anytime oil is paid for in dollars? We're talking about China sourcing naira to pay for cassava - no, we don't give them yuan in return.

Do you know how much Malaysia was making from palm oil in the 70's? Zero dollar. How much they're making today? Google it (you know a thing or two about googling). You're ignoring the vast opportunities for expansion that exist cassava since the world is trying desperately to run away from fossil fuel and looking for the likes of ethanol. And 0.5 or how much you say it is currently isn't nothing - since there is no cost to commodifying the naira using cassava.
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:44pm On Sep 27, 2023
Chokehold:
Nor be lie, he campaigned so much with cassava, eba, ewa and agbado. That's a good call coming from a very loyal supporter.

For those of you who don't know what commodification means; It simply means, using cassava, its end products as well as byproducts as a form of commodity trading/export to generate revenue. This will alllso help straighten the already depleting foreign reserves as well as reign in strong values for the naira as the government won't need to pay make currency exchange for goods desired because cassava can be used for payment. Agbado can also be commodified

Theories are easy to spill. However, breaking them into action plans is the koko.

Now, tell us the steps in achieving this commodification and how it will help solve the immediate economic challenges we are facing.
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by KayB: 5:44pm On Sep 27, 2023
True talk for those who understands the strengths of agribusiness in boosting earnings. No wonder Ukraine is still relevant in the global markets despite the turmoil being experienced

1 Like

Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by lawani: 5:46pm On Sep 27, 2023
There is nothing like commodification of currency. The highest you can do is ask to be paid in your currency but it should not be government turf since tax is never in a foreign currency and government should depend on tax. If a Nigerian exporter is selling to a Brazilian they will ask for dollars unless the Brazilian can raise another currency useful for the Nigerian exporter. Any currency only have value because of the people forced to collect it not for any other reason. If the people emigrate the value of the currency will drop
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:47pm On Sep 27, 2023
rex21:

So, what is stopping us from requesting for the naira in exchange for our cassava ??
Look at the figures i googled, how true are they ??

You can't gain from such without massive investment. No matter the program you have, you need capital to get to the end users. In Nigeria, our political system makes a large chunk of our resources end at the tables of politicians. That is why nothing works. Not that there are no products to export and trade for revenue.
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by rex21: 5:47pm On Sep 27, 2023
JuanDeDios:

What are you talking about? So the US has to get Venezuelan currency anytime oil is paid for in dollars? We're talking about China sourcing naira to pay for cassava - no, we don't give them yuan in return.

Do you know how much Malaysia was making from palm oil in the 70's? Zero dollar. How much they're making today? Google it (you know a thing or two about googling). You're ignoring the vast opportunities for expansion that exist cassava since the world is trying desperately to run away from fossil fuel and looking for the likes of ethanol. And 0.5 or how much you say it is currently isn't nothing - since there is no cost to commodifying the naira using cassava.
I dont understand your first paragraph, do rephrase.
The demand for cassava is very very low. Its not something that makes sense economically. Comparing cassava to palm oil is very hilarious. What is the total world revenue from cassava ??
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by rex21: 5:48pm On Sep 27, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

You can't gain from such without massive investment. No matter the program you have, you need capital to get to the end users. In Nigeria, our political system makes a large chunk of our resources end at the tables of politicians. That is why nothing works. Not that there are no products to export and trade for revenue.
So where does the problem lie and how do we derive a solution. Because i know that this stupid commodify nonsense is just hullabaloo
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by emmanuelbrown26: 5:53pm On Sep 27, 2023
Biola67:

Pa ara eh ( kill yourself) . He’s your president till 2031
Rice bandit and palliative fighter

Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by lawani: 5:55pm On Sep 27, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

Nigeria do not produce enough cassava for local consumption not to talk of export. Export is negligible but Nigeria us the largest producer on Earth but it is staple food here and China wants it for piggery feed. Cassava can replace flour for bread and Indomie. It can be used for many things but the price will have to drop for China to be able to afford it for piggery feed. If we double production, it can still be consumed in Nigeria. It is however not a forex earner. Forex earners are remittances, oil, Nollywood, cocoa, and tens of others. Cassava is not been exported much. It does not account for significant forex but it is a major sector in the local economy
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by emmanuelbrown26: 5:56pm On Sep 27, 2023
zoghys:

Pele ooo, garri bandit

Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by emmanuelbrown26: 6:01pm On Sep 27, 2023
Chetas81:
so casava can be solution to Nigeria problem,is anything really wrong with the Nigerian youth of nowadays
U hv to differentiate BTW Nigerian youths and vagabonds from South West
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by JuanDeDios: 6:01pm On Sep 27, 2023
rex21:

I dont understand your first paragraph, do rephrase.
The demand for cassava is very very low. Its not something that makes sense economically. Comparing cassava to palm oil is very hilarious. What is the total world revenue from cassava ??
Understanding comes with reading to understand. Read what I wrote, and then read what you wrote in response in bolded. You don't understand, so you're repeating yourself and raising a point I already admitted and responded to.
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by Chetas81(m): 6:05pm On Sep 27, 2023
emmanuelbrown26:

U hv to differentiate BTW Nigerian youths and vagabonds from South West
No be small thing brother, but who can save us from this upcoming riot in Nigeria
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by rex21: 6:05pm On Sep 27, 2023
JuanDeDios:

Understanding comes with reading to understand. Read what I wrote, and then read what you wrote in response in bolded. You don't understand, so you're repeating yourself and raising a point I already admitted and responded to.
I'm not sure you understood what you wrote yourself. If the total cassava 'economy' is very small, what do we stand to gain even if we control 100% of it ??
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by emmanuelbrown26: 6:22pm On Sep 27, 2023
Holluwhakemmy:
Allow him to crying that's what he's destiny for here on nairaland
Rice bandit and palliative fighter
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by JuanDeDios: 6:35pm On Sep 27, 2023
rex21:

I'm not sure you understood what you wrote yourself. If the total cassava 'economy' is very small, what do we stand to gain even if we control 100% of it ??
Hmm. Read what I wrote again. This time s.l.o.w.l.y.

Ok, let me simplify it further, using numbering.
1. International trade in cassava is a small market today (In fact, we're not currently growing it as an export commodity, as most of what we grow is consumed here. Something important happened in the cassava industry in 2002 that told me a lot about that sector, but I won't bother you with that.).
2. But huge opportunities exist for its GROWTH.
3. Number 2 is true especially because the world is hungry for bioethanol, as it's running away from fossil fuel.
4. If 2 is true and there's money to be made, people will go into it, we will scale up production the way Malaysia scaled up palm oil.
5. Other countries too.

I expect you to come back and repeat the same you've already raised 3 times and received a response to - before and above.

#Okbye
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:51pm On Sep 27, 2023
lawani:

Nigeria do not produce enough cassava for local consumption not to talk of export. Export is negligible but Nigeria us the largest producer on Earth but it is staple food here and China wants it for piggery feed. Cassava can replace flour for bread and Indomie. It can be used for many things but the price will have to drop for China to be able to afford it for piggery feed. If we double production, it can still be consumed in Nigeria. It is however not a forex earner. Forex earners are remittances, oil, Nollywood, cocoa, and tens of others. Cassava is not been exported much. It does not account for significant forex but it is a major sector in the local economy

In all that is written here, there is no picture of how what the man is saying will make sense. Boosting production will require inflow of funds. It can't happen in a corrupt system.
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by emmanuelbrown26: 6:51pm On Sep 27, 2023
Chibuzoripob:
The suffer wet don KILL Ur family finish.U go CRY well
Rice bandits

Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:53pm On Sep 27, 2023
rex21:

So where does the problem lie and how do we derive a solution. Because i know that this stupid commodify nonsense is just hullabaloo

The problem lies in a corrupt system. As long as our political setup siphons fortune, economic success can't happen.

We need to change how we channel funds instead of to politicians, it will be to businesses.

Make capital easy for businesses to reach.
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by rex21: 6:54pm On Sep 27, 2023
JuanDeDios:

1. International trade in cassava is a small market today (In fact, we're not currently growing it as an export commodity, as most of what we grow is consumed here. Something important happened in the cassava industry in 2002 that told me a lot about that sector, but I won't bother you with that.).
3. Number 2 is true especially because the world is hungry for bioethanol, as it's running away from fossil fuel.
4. If 2 is true and there's money to be made, people will go into it, we will scale up production the way Malaysia scaled up palm oil.
5. Other countries too.

I expect you to come back and repeat the same you've already raised 3 times and received a response to - before and above.

#Okbye
You think you are making sense bro.
Something happened in 2002 and we are in 2023.
Cassava has very little uses. It has little or no economic importance. People are moving to other better forms of renewable energy. Cassava has no economic strength, simple!

If 2 is true ?? Are you serious ??
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:55pm On Sep 27, 2023
JuanDeDios:

5. Other countries too.

#Okbye

There is huge opportunities in gold, minerals, gas, etc. So shouting commodificatiob does not propose any solution.
Re: "For Commodification Of Naira, Use Cassava" - Journalist Advises Tinubu by emmanuelbrown26: 7:00pm On Sep 27, 2023
IamOrei:

Tinubu empty upstairs?
i dnt care abt ur level of education but i can bet with anything that u are not as intelligent as that man.
only an unintelligent being will call that man clueless
D more Yorubas keep supporting d man d more they keep proving me right that Yorubas are d dumbest tribe in Africa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Shehu Sani's Name Omitted On APC's List Of Candidates Submitted To INEC - DN / South East/south West Battle Over 2023 Presidency / Gov. Ajimobi Congratulates Gov. Elect Seyi Makinde, Extends Hand Of Support

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.