Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,290 members, 7,811,867 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize (2608 Views)

Photo Of Yemi Osinbajo And Chimamanda Adichie / Why Jakande And Tinubu Didn’t Get Along / Nwaoboshi: Akpabio’s Allegation Untrue, I Didn’t Get 53 Contracts From NDDC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by spearman(m): 5:08am On Sep 29, 2023
Kukutente23:

Are you aware Shakespeare got inspiration for some of his works from Julius Caesar? Does that make Shakespeare's work plagiarism?
You lots are just ignorant

On page 90, Wren writes under a sub-heading entitled: The History of Umuchu: S.A. Nnolim’s History of Umuchu gave Achebe the vital plot device of the priest who refuses the chieftaincy and alters the religious calendar during imprisonment.

It was the History too that provided the town created from six rival villages as a defence against the Abam. Although Achebe’s memory about the pamphlet is faulty, (Achebe no gree remember be that faulty memory) he used village names drawn from Nnolim and Umuchu ….

Orally, an undocumented rumour mill circulated the dangerous gossip that Charles Nnolim’s ‘A Source for Arrow of God’ had denied Achebe the Nobel Prize.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by Kukutente23: 5:14am On Sep 29, 2023
spearman:

Ok.... so is that all Arrow of God is about? Have you read it?
You guys just keep disgracing yourselves. What about the plot of "the one who kills a man when his life is sweetest to him". Is that also from Nnolim?
Like i said, it's Shakespeare also guilty of plagiarising Julius Caesar?
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by spearman(m): 5:29am On Sep 29, 2023
Kukutente23:

Ok.... so is that all Arrow of God is about? Have you read it?
You guys just keep disgracing yourselves. What about the plot of "the one who kills a man when his life is sweetest to him". Is that also from Nnolim?
Like i said, it's Shakespeare also guilty of plagiarising Julius Caesar?

Ibos always run for cover with whataboutism.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by spearman(m): 6:01am On Sep 29, 2023
Achebe’s near admission goes as follows:
Yes, that’s more than enough…. The matter is not closed…. The only thing I want to say is that the reliance on oral history
is something which we have to do. I believe that we have to rely a lot on oral history…. The whole thing is not a secret. I had
already told people about this event which happened in this village. I had heard about it on radio and had given a fairly full
account of this.
There was a programme which had been done by one of our best producers in those days called Chijioke
Abagwe, in which someone was being interviewed who turned out to be Nnolim’s uncle about his village and the story of this
chief who was imprisoned by the D.O. came out in the interview. This was in the fifties. I was so fascinated by this story
that I got Abagwe to locate this man again and again we went to his place and he told me a lot more about the incident. Not only that, we even went to his village in order to have a feel of this place. That’s the indebtedness to Nnolim’s uncle. I have used such things before and I will use them again.
(Commonwealth: 13.1, Autumn, 1990, 121-122).

Charles E. Nnolim concludes:
In conclusion, we can assert that what has occupied us in the last thirty minutes or so, are matters arising from ‘A Source for Arrow of
God’ published in 1977, and they are substantive. Robert Wren’s work and Professor J.O.J.

Nwachukwu Agbada’s interview have given us enough facts to draw our own conclusions on whether or not Chinua Achebe was acquainted with The History of Umuchu whose author S.A. Nnolim he admitted he knew, whose village he said he visited and whose book he may have read, even when in the face of all these facts, he denies knowledge of the existence of The History of Umuchu.

What we have discussed in this study are matters that arose after the publication of ‘A Source for Arrow of God’ in1977.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by Kukutente23: 6:11am On Sep 29, 2023
spearman:

Ibos always run for cover with whataboutism.
There's no whataboutism here. Don't confuse yourself. Just curing your ignorance. Shakespeare did not plagiarise Julius Caesar. He only drew some inspiration from it.
What about Ola Rotimi's gods are not to blame which draws inspiration from some Yoruba folklore. Is that also plagiarism?
What I'm pointing out to you is that drawing inspiration is not plagiarism. Plagiarism is passing off someone's works as yours. It could never be fir Arrow of God which actually has five subplots if memory serves me well.
Your Nnolim could not have phatomed the death of Obi who was an apple of his father's eye and was visited by Ogbunabali in his article because the occurrence of that was an anti-climax in the story.
So your claim of plagiarism is simply empty.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by BentizilL0: 6:32am On Sep 29, 2023
intruder15:

Writing about Chimamanda may be reasonable. However, I am struggling to understand what you intend to achieve writing about Chinua Achebe. He is dead. Years ago. Hence, not dragging for the fame or price.

Unless you are trying to give NCAN members something to salivate on. Irrespective of your actions, respect the dead.

This is the hypocrisy I hate...
I read Achebe before Soyinka or chimanda...
You need to understand that you can't be dragging a respected son of Yoruba and expect them to respect your own son dead or alive...

You mention Soyinka, they mentioned Achebe. You came here writing rubbish with victim mentality... Mention chimanda would've been a great disrespect to Soyinka..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by BentizilL0: 6:34am On Sep 29, 2023
OneCandleAway:

So because I'm yoruba I won't call out people because of tribe.

When he was saying with certainty that someone came third with no facts to support his claim, people like him pushed Jonathan out for Buhari and didn't have the Guts to speak out during buhari tenure.
Please give me the ronu card you use to buy cheap fuel and the loan for students so I can begin to kiss tinubu ass.

I'd osinbajo was the President I will support wholeheartedly not this criminal in aso rock.

You're not a yoruba, stop lying we Sabi the drip...

2 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by BentizilL0: 6:36am On Sep 29, 2023
Kukutente23:
This post needs to be taken down.
I find it ridulous.
Things fall apart is a book most if not all students of secondary schools in Nigeria in the early 90s to late 2000s were expected to have read in their English comprehension classes.
Yet no one on this thread could point out to the ignorant Op that relevant portion of W.B Yeats' poem was actually quoted as a prologue to the book. Instead, they took the bait and each one went where his prejudice led him to concerning the matter.
It is either the tamdun or is it tampon now does not know what entails plagiarism or he's just ignorantly rehashing whatever he found on the net without bothering to find out whether it's true or not.
You guys are disgracing our education system with this tribal baiting and bashing which you're using to replace your common sense.
Shame!!
Go and tell your Igbo brother to stop dragging the great Soyinka...
It's not his fault that he's greater than Achebe and chimanda combined... 💯

4 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by jahsharon: 6:36am On Sep 29, 2023
Producing Fake things is in their DNA. From fake and copied literatures to fake drugs, fake shoes, fake motor parts, even to fake babies in baby factories.

Something must be wrong somewhere with this people.

4 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by jahsharon: 6:37am On Sep 29, 2023
Benwallt:
Chimamanda has the same value as tissue paper.

Used tissue paper you mean

2 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by OneCandleAway(f): 6:54am On Sep 29, 2023
BentizilL0:

You're not a yoruba, stop lying we Sabi the drip...

Na you born me naa so you know my tribe. I won't do this politics of supporting someone because he is my tribe.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by BentizilL0: 6:57am On Sep 29, 2023
OneCandleAway:

Na you born me naa so you know my tribe. I won't do this politics of supporting someone because he is my tribe.
No bastard will denigrate his ethnic even in face of comment like this...

Were you not here when Igbo were dragging Soyinka??
Were you asleep then? 😂
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by Varunpulyani: 7:00am On Sep 29, 2023
BentizilL0:

No bastard will denigrate his ethnic even in face of comment like this...

Were you not here when Igbo were dragging Soyinka??
Were you asleep then? 😂

Helinues be useful
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by Kukutente23: 7:03am On Sep 29, 2023
BentizilL0:

Go and tell your Igbo brother to stop dragging the great Soyinka...
It's not his fault that he's greater than Achebe and chimanda combined... 💯
You guys are just being foolish.
Oya Yoruba brother. Mention 10 books by Soyinka you have read and give the theme for each book. I'm sure you can't
But you can measure whose dick is longer between him and Achebe.
I've never seen English people fighting and insulting over who is better between Bernard Shaw and George Orwell.
But what do I know about black man and black brain.
I'm beginning to fear this generation of youths may be useless after all
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by aswani(m): 7:09am On Sep 29, 2023
tamdun:
You wonder why these two Chinua Achebe and Chimamanda didn’t get Nobel prize… Well it’s because hack writers like them were accused with evidence of plagiarism.

The title of “Things Fall Apart, the center cannot hold” is taken from the poem “The Second Coming,” which was written by the Irish poet William Butler Yeats in 1919, after the end of the First World War and during the Irish civil war which followed independence.

Achebe is like that Jamb girl that cheated and tried to bully her way to win an award. That’s why he was envious of Prof Soyinka Nobel prize.
Tueh 🤧

Search “Things fall apart William Butler Yeats” on Twitter or any media platform and you will see Europeans referencing that phrase to the Rightful poet” he went further to even copy the character in the original version.

In 1996 Giwa submitted her book to the Uk library, In 1998, Chinua Achebe received Giwa’s manuscript Book “Sade” to Heinamman Nigeria Limited where he was the board of directors. Few years along the line @ChimamandaReal whom is very close to Chinua Achebe and supposedly lives with him got inspired.

https://twitter.com/dipoaina1/status/1707269311377601012?t=F3AhO4F-L1Suewo0QYH48Q&s=19

I don't know why you are besmirching Chinua Achebe's literary good name and standing in this manner but having read some of his books, I will say whether or not he plagiarised, he was still an incredible writer.

And to those Obidients that have quickly dragged Woke Soyinka into this matter, shame on you too.

Let's not allow politics to becloud our judgement when it comes to the literary greatness of those two World class giants of story telling.

I have never read any of Chimamanda's books so have no comment on her literary ability.

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by Kukutente23: 7:14am On Sep 29, 2023
BentizilL0:

This is the hypocrisy I hate...
I read Achebe before Soyinka or chimanda...
You need to understand that you can't be dragging a respected son of Yoruba and expect them to respect your own son dead or alive...

You mention Soyinka, they mentioned Achebe. You came here writing rubbish with victim mentality... Mention chimanda would've been a great disrespect to Soyinka..
Since you read Achebe, did you not read the caption of WB Yeats' poem at the prologue?
I'm afraid for the youths of this days. No one and I mean none among you tribal champions on both sides have ever written a much as a poem on tradition of your tribe.
Both Soyinka and Achebe wrote majestic literature showing supremacy of their tradition and its colourfulness in English language and they "wowed" those who owned the language.
Yet you imps, instead of spending youthful energy improving on such intellectual wealth are dragging kpomo over who wrote what and better. And you're not doing it from any intelligent angle but crass tribal bigotry and prebendalism.
I ask, who will be known in this generation of yours for writings that promote our culture and tradition. Who will write about Sango like you have in Thor or the witches of Ibadan like you have in Harry Porter.
Are you guys only useful for tribal baiting?
What a waste!!

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by BentizilL0: 7:24am On Sep 29, 2023
Kukutente23:

You guys are just being foolish.
Oya Yoruba brother. Mention 10 books by Soyinka you have read and give the theme for each book. I'm sure you can't
But you can measure whose dick is longer between him and Achebe.
I've never seen English people fighting and insulting over who is better between Bernard Shaw and George Orwell.
But what do I know about black man and black brain.
I'm beginning to fear this generation of youths may be useless after all
I've read only one Achebe's (There was a country), his type of books don't turn me on. I prefer something else.. I saw his books many times when I was in juniors then in my school library but only glance and nothing else.

I've read few Soyinka's, not my type too..

I grew up liking Achebe even when I did not know him.. You want to know why??.
It's simply because I hate the type of praise people in my school then always heap on Soyinka, so I want to be different. They gave him a godlike status...

Respect to Achebe, he's the first Nigeria author I look up his biography and it's because I want something to counter my friends...

I don't want to compare the two, I think they're both different.. But it's hypocrisy for Igbo to drag Soyinka and cry victim when Yoruba drag Achebe. I've seen it happen many time here and on various SM. No one has monopoly of violence.

Meanwhile, I'm an Edo man... I've always watch with disgust how you guys always tag everyone not supporting Yoruba. I think it's time you learn that we have more than Yoruba and Igbo in southern Nigeria... 💯

4 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by aswani(m): 7:34am On Sep 29, 2023
Kukutente23:

Since you read Achebe, did you not read the caption of WB Yeats' poem at the prologue?
I'm afraid for the youths of this days. No one and I mean none among you tribal champions on both sides have ever written a much as a poem on tradition of your tribe.
Both Soyinka and Achebe wrote majestic literature showing supremacy of their tradition and its colourfulness in English language and they "wowed" those who owned the language.
Yet you imps, instead of spending youthful energy improving on such intellectual wealth are dragging kpomo over who wrote what and better. And you're not doing it from any intelligent angle but crass tribal bigotry and prebendalism.
I ask, who will be known in this generation of yours for writings that promote our culture and tradition. Who will write about Sango like you have in Thor or the witches of Ibadan like you have in Harry Porter.
Are you guys only useful for tribal baiting?
What a waste!!

If only I could pin your post up so that everyone has to read it at least once before being allowed to post

Thank you so much for this, I expressed similar sentiments in an earlier post but I am so glad that there is someone like you that could articulate my thinking so much better than me.

On more, kudos to you and well done for this post. I am convinced you are speaking for the silent majority in this issue.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by femisplash: 8:00am On Sep 29, 2023
Kukutente23:

Keep quiet!!
A lot of you ignorant folks who know next to nothing just come online to spill nonsense. Let's even assume what the guy claims about Arrow of God is true. So if I read an article of 3 pages, get an idea from it and develop the idea into a novel of 200 pages, that's plagiarism abi? You lots that have zero idea of creative writing just come online to write nonsense bars on tribal sentiments.
Secondly, was the article published under relevant copyright laws? Or you think if a writer does not prevent anyone from lifting all or part of his works, doing so is plagiarism?
You halfwits need to be quiet!!
Even if the article is only two sentences and documented in a research journal, if you plagiarize it, you have commited an intellectual theft. Achebe plagiarized a journalistic work without giving due credit to the original author, that's criminality. People llke you are even far worse than the Govt you devote your entire daily energy criticizing.

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by Kukutente23: 8:34am On Sep 29, 2023
BentizilL0:

I've read only one Achebe's (There was a country), his type of books don't turn me on. I prefer something else.. I saw his books many times when I was in juniors then in my school library but only glance and nothing else.

I've read few Soyinka's, not my type too..

I grew up liking Achebe even when I did not know him.. You want to know why??.
It's simply because I hate the type of praise people in my school then always heap on Soyinka, so I want to be different. They gave him a godlike status...

Respect to Achebe, he's the first Nigeria author I look up his biography and it's because I want something to counter my friends...

I don't want to compare the two, I think they're both different.. But it's hypocrisy for Igbo to drag Soyinka and cry victim when Yoruba drag Achebe. I've seen it happen many time here and on various SM. No one has monopoly of violence.

Meanwhile, I'm an Edo man... I've always watch with disgust how you guys always tag everyone not supporting Yoruba. I think it's time you learn that we have more than Yoruba and Igbo in southern Nigeria... 💯
You're an Edo man yet you're attacking Igbo on behalf of Yoruba.
Since you've not read Things fall apart, why are you making a judgement on what you know nothing of. You think the Op is correct? You should have made your independent research before jumping into the ring.
As for Igbo attacking Soyinka, let me say if it is based on his intervention in the last political cycle, which I also find distasteful, then they are perfectly within their rights. He asked for it.
But if it is based on his works and literary genius they are attacking him, then they are most foolish and need a medical check. You should learn to divorce the two.
However, attacking Achebe by one side and Soyinka by the other does not do any of both men any good justice. Neither does it paint the attackers in any shinning light. They are both prime prize when it comes to African literature. So if some dimwit gather to denigrate their works just because of the sound of their names, those dimwits are just mad.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by Kukutente23: 8:36am On Sep 29, 2023
femisplash:
Even if the article is only two sentences and documented in a research journal, if you plagiarize it, you have commited an intellectual theft. Achebe plagiarized a journalistic work without giving due credit to the original author, that's criminality. People llke you are even far worse than the Govt you devote your entire daily energy criticizing.
Can you help me with the journal where the plagiarised item was published? I want to check it out by myself pls.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by femisplash: 9:26am On Sep 29, 2023
Kukutente23:

Can you help me with the journal where the plagiarised item was published? I want to check it out by myself pls.
But if you want to open your mouth to attack Govt, you won't a4sk me for help. If you could defend intellectual theft calling it "inspiration", then you would even be worse than the corrupt politicians. The only reason you attack politicians is because you are not priviledged in the looting of the treasury.

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by DMerciful(m): 9:42am On Sep 29, 2023
Do you know that if you wanna see Soyinka, he'll not be willing to see you? You're just practicing idolatry for nothing
tamdun:
You wonder why these two Chinua Achebe and Chimamanda didn’t get Nobel prize… Well it’s because hack writers like them were accused with evidence of plagiarism.

The title of “Things Fall Apart, the center cannot hold” is taken from the poem “The Second Coming,” which was written by the Irish poet William Butler Yeats in 1919, after the end of the First World War and during the Irish civil war which followed independence.

Achebe is like that Jamb girl that cheated and tried to bully her way to win an award. That’s why he was envious of Prof Soyinka Nobel prize.
Tueh 🤧

Search “Things fall apart William Butler Yeats” on Twitter or any media platform and you will see Europeans referencing that phrase to the Rightful poet” he went further to even copy the character in the original version.

In 1996 Giwa submitted her book to the Uk library, In 1998, Chinua Achebe received Giwa’s manuscript Book “Sade” to Heinamman Nigeria Limited where he was the board of directors. Few years along the line @ChimamandaReal whom is very close to Chinua Achebe and supposedly lives with him got inspired.

https://twitter.com/dipoaina1/status/1707269311377601012?t=F3AhO4F-L1Suewo0QYH48Q&s=19
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by Kukutente23: 10:16am On Sep 29, 2023
femisplash:
But if you want to open your mouth to attack Govt, you won't a4sk me for help. If you could defend intellectual theft calling it "inspiration", then you would even be worse than the corrupt politicians. The only reason you attack politicians is because you are not priviledged in the looting of the treasury.
Lol.
You see that's what emptiness does. It leads to scatter scatter yam pepper.
You claimed history of umuchu was published in a journal as at the time Achebe wrote Arrow of God in 1964. Show evidence, you're cutting back and acting funny.
For your info, history of Umuchu was not published until 2007 as a literary work and it was even expanded then beyond the original work.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by femisplash: 10:43am On Sep 29, 2023
Kukutente23:

Lol.
You see that's what emptiness does. It leads to scatter scatter yam pepper.
You claimed history of umuchu was published in a journal as at the time Achebe wrote Arrow of God in 1964. Show evidence, you're cutting back and acting funny.
For your info, history of Umuchu was not published until 2007 as a literary work and it was even expanded then beyond the original work.
You're not only a criminal but also a pathological liar, little wonder you defend intellectual thieves. Same daftus insinuating that zombidients are within their rights to insult Soyinka but same Soyinka is not within his own right to hold a differing political view. My last reply to you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by Kukutente23: 11:28am On Sep 29, 2023
femisplash:
You're not only a criminal but also a pathological liar, little wonder you defend intellectual thieves. Same daftus insinuating that zombidients are within their rights to insult Soyinka but same Soyinka is not within his own right to hold a differing political view. My last reply to you.

Your replies have never been worth the letters in which they were written. You're calling me names for expressing my opinion but think "zombidients" are bad for insulting Soyinka on his political views.
I'm also sure you're among those who spared no words on Obasanjo as well for expressing his opinion but hypocritically claim sanctimony when same is applied to someone whose political views sit well with you.
Bleep off. You're among the nitwits
Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by BabaRamota1980: 11:34am On Sep 29, 2023
grin
There was a country fraud

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe And Chimamanda Didn’t Get Nobel Prize by fregeneh(m): 2:49pm On Sep 29, 2023
spearman:
Thiefnamanda theft video.
Similarities between SADE and Half of a Yellow Sun Anne Giwa-Amu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqmx2CVEBdg
okey!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Suicide Bombing In Nigeria / Chief Imam Tajudeen Bello Defends Paedophile Senator, Calls Nigerians Hypocrites / Jonathan’s Visit: Ig Orders Bomb Experts To Comb Ibori’s Hometown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.