Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked (11360 Views)

Nigerians To Learn Modern Mining In Australia - Dele Alake / Amitolu Shittu: Lawmakers, Ex-governors Behind Illegal Mining In Osun / Video Of Illegal Gold Mining In Kano Emerges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Supremos: 5:24am On Sep 29, 2023
Illegal Mining: Environmental Disaster Inevitable – Enugu Commissioner

*... as gov't taskforce seals illegal mining sites at Nsude, Akwuke

*…residents, communities kick, call for prosecution

The Enugu State Commissioner for Environment and Climate Change, Prof. Sam Ugwu, has lamented the extensive damage illegal coal miners had done to the environment in the state.

The Commissioner, who is the Chairman of the Committee on Review of Mining Activities in Enugu State, disclosed this while carrying out environmental assessment and enforcement of the state order sealing the sites of the illegal mining activities at Nsude and Akwuke communities, both in Udi and Enugu South Local Government Areas, respectively.

Leading a team of experts alongside the Special Adviser to the Governor on Energy and Mineral Resources, Mr. Kingsley Nnaji, the Commissioner said the illegal deforestation, diversion of water bodies and degradation of hundreds of hectares of land by the miners could trigger ecological disaster if nothing was done to prevent further unregulated mining activities in the state.

According to him, “It is unfortunate that this kind of damage is going on in Enugu State without the approval of the Enugu State Government. It is very very sad. The government is not happy about it, and we will continue this way till we close all the mining sites in Enugu State. It has caused a lot of ecological damage.

“It will take many years for Enugu State to recover from this humongous damage on our environment.

“We are really worried about what is going on, and we are sealing them. These criminal acts are unacceptable. There will be no more activities here. We will be monitoring them morning and evening and ensure the places we have sealed are not tampered.”

However, Prof. Ugwu, while serving a letter of invitation on the miners, said those with genuine mining licences, approvals and other evidence of compliance with the standard practice should visit the State Government for verification.

He further called on genuine investors who are willing to invest in the energy and minerals sector of the economy to approach the state through the laid down process, maintaining that the government was interested in making the state attractive for investors by derisking investment flow.

Meanwhile, residents and communities across the state have continued to protest against the activities of the illegal miners, saying that the miners had been threatening them with security agencies and unlawful arrests by operatives illegally attached to protect them at the various sites.

They called for the arrest and prosecution of those destroying the environment, insisting that the miners had no stake in the state as most of them were not from the state even as the coal was being transported outside Enugu State for industrial use and export purposes.

An environmental expert in the state, Engr. Amara Victor, said the mining activities should be taken as a time-bomb that would trigger ecological and environmental catastrophe if the state government did take decisive steps to enforce the closure of those sites.

Engr. Raphael Edeh, a soil and environment impact assessor, who had been following the trends of the illegal mining activities, called on the government to go after the culprits destroying the state and the insiders colluding with them, adding that the state could soon experience landslides and earthquake if no proactive measure was taken.

He said the environment in certain communities were presently contaminated such that farming activities and water could no longer be safe for drinking as the miners had already destroyed their sources.

At the mining sites at Nsude and Akwuke were a number of heavy-duty trucks, excavators, caterpillars, coal-loaded trailers, among other machinery used for the illegal mining activities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMGjU4e1asM?si=fSCJb7o1-6Fvilgr

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Supremos: 5:24am On Sep 29, 2023
More photos

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Supremos: 5:24am On Sep 29, 2023
More.

It's estimated that roughly 50 trucks carrying coal leaves various illegal coal sites in Enugu on daily basis

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by melonsgroup: 5:56am On Sep 29, 2023
That governor no get sense.
Zamfara illegal gold miners are doing the same thing.
And yet there governor turned a deaf ear.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by SpecialAdviser(m): 5:57am On Sep 29, 2023
Let me ask? They use to tell me that coals are use to tar roads. That's why we call a popular name "corotar" meaning "coal tar".

If true, can Enugu state make use of this with chippings from Ebonyi state to fix our streets? It will be cheaper and we will get most streets fixed.

39 Likes 8 Shares

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Ofunaofu: 5:58am On Sep 29, 2023
angry

1 Like

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Bridget95(f): 6:01am On Sep 29, 2023
SpecialAdviser:
Let me ask? They use to tell me that coals are use to tar roads. That's why we call a popular name "corotar" meaning "coal tar".

If true, can Enugu state make use of this with chippings from Ebonyi state to fix our streets? It will be cheaper and we will get most streets fixed.
I hereby recommend you special adviser to Gov mba

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by SpecialAdviser(m): 6:04am On Sep 29, 2023
Bridget95:
I hereby recommend you special adviser to Gov mba
I am asking question and you are recommending me grin grin grin
Even when they will not listen grin

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Chinjo2: 6:32am On Sep 29, 2023
I am sure the federal government and security agencies have hands in all these illegal mining activities going on across the country.
If not how can mining of this magnitude be going on for years without the country benefiting anything from it.

56 Likes 9 Shares

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Chinjo2: 6:34am On Sep 29, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

It is Bitumen that is used to tar roads.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by SpecialAdviser(m): 6:47am On Sep 29, 2023
Chinjo2:

It is Bitumen that is used to tar roads.
So coal is not called in at all?

3 Likes

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by kettykin: 6:59am On Sep 29, 2023
Apc wrecked Nigeria, illegal crude oil export to illegal coal mining to illegal gold mining

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Okiton: 7:02am On Sep 29, 2023
angry

When u hear them brabing of one Nigeria just know that it's about these natural resources and nothing else

24 Likes

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by AntiChristian: 7:02am On Sep 29, 2023
Nigeria is truly a blessed country!

Coal can be used to make Coke (not the popular drink), coal tar, medicine, carbon fibre, foam and synthetic petroleum based fuel.

We never reach that level.

Crude oil too can produce Petrol (or gasoline), naptha, kerosene, diesel oil, lubricating oil, fuel oil, grease wax, and some residue.

And there are so much more natural resources available in Nigeria!

12 Likes

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Vifx: 7:02am On Sep 29, 2023
Nice one

2 Likes

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by propsvilla3: 7:02am On Sep 29, 2023
Good
Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Blackdisciple(m): 7:03am On Sep 29, 2023
The one in Zamfara nko.
Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 7:04am On Sep 29, 2023
Supremos:
Illegal Mining: Environmental Disaster Inevitable – Enugu Commissioner

*... as gov't taskforce seals illegal mining sites at Nsude, Akwuke

*…residents, communities kick, call for prosecution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMGjU4e1asM?si=fSCJb7o1-6Fvilgr

Nigeria is a nation of illiterate the next news you will hear Nigeria is important coal from abroad

When they were shutting down illegal refineries what was the end result Nigeria started importing petrol and diesel. 45% of Nigeria's gas come from United States of America. When you have a nation of clever illiterate this is what you get. Which normal person with a brain we come and invest in Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by jojothaiv(m): 7:04am On Sep 29, 2023
Good!

Now let them also apply such stringent measures in Zamfara too.

Chinjo2:
I am sure the federal government and security agencies have hands in all these illegal mining activities going on across the country.
If not how can mining of this magnitude be going on for years without the country benefiting anything from it.
Zamfara is saying hi though.
Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Dyfynezz12(m): 7:05am On Sep 29, 2023
Southern politicians 're chickens.
The same illegal mining that has been happening in Zamfara nd even federal government couldn't do shit abt.
Deh play!!!

3 Likes

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Guyman01: 7:05am On Sep 29, 2023
Niger coup happened because the citizens were not benefiting from the minerals being extracted from their land and Tinubu tried to maintain the status quo on behalf of France by threatening invasion.
Imagine that this massive mining operations have been happening for years and I am sure the Federal ministry of mines is in cahoots with them as Federal security agents provide security

1 Like

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by pweeryambre: 7:06am On Sep 29, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

Me i use to think they say its a useless commodity now i know its a very important something

2 Likes

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by condralbedez: 7:06am On Sep 29, 2023
SpecialAdviser:
I am asking question and you are recommending me grin grin grin
Even when they will not listen grin
They wont listen oh.
Everything is illegal in this Nation, from Oil to Gold, down to coal.
Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by princeade86(m): 7:07am On Sep 29, 2023
K
Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by MorataFC: 7:07am On Sep 29, 2023
Cool
Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Funjosh(m): 7:08am On Sep 29, 2023
Mining Illegally with all these big equipment undecided

4 Likes

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Obyangel: 7:09am On Sep 29, 2023
It's the work of the greedy locals, Chinese, Indians and Labanese. Govt might not know about it but some officials from the ministry do take cut from the illegal miners.

4 Likes

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Ogonimilitant(m): 7:10am On Sep 29, 2023
After. The exposition one guy on tiktok
Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Magabush1(m): 7:10am On Sep 29, 2023
Bro, u got me cracking this morning. What's used for road is called bitumen and Ondo state has the highest deposit. Coal is different from tar. Thanks and God bless

SpecialAdviser:

2 Likes

Re: War Against Illegal Coal Mining In Enugu: Illegal Mining Sites Locked by Racoon(m): 7:10am On Sep 29, 2023
Meanwhile, all the illegal mining sites down north have been operating unhindered from antiquity.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2023: Ohanaeze Rejects PDP’s No-Zoning Formula, Insists On Igbo President / Buhari’s Defence Allocations Hit N5tn, Over 11,420 Nigerians Killed In Six Years / APC Convention: State Chairmen Oppose Govs, Back Buhari Chairmanship Choice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.