Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,144 members, 7,815,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering (28436 Views)

"I Might Die Before Tomorrow": Man Killed In Ibadan Robbery Attack Wrote / Ibrah, Ghanaian Yahoo Boy Arrested For Money Laundering - Photos / Paul Gabriel Amos, Lamborghini Driver Charged With Money Laundering - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Nairaland1stson(m): 9:35pm On Oct 02, 2023
I have suspicion that someone wants to use my account to launder money. A lady visited my shop demanding to purchase goods worth millions of naira she was so much in a hurry or desperate for someone who intends to perform such transactions. She was accompanied by a man she claimed to be her sick husband, two kids, and another young man. She claimed she needed to perform the transaction as soon as possible so she could travel down to a neighboring state for her husband's treatment.

There was no much negotiations as it seemed she was the one begging for the goods to be sold to her. After confirmation she said I should bring my POS machine so she could make a transfer, I already had suspicions on her so I told her i didn't have one and besides who would want to perform transactions worth millions of naira with a POS machine mode of payment. I suggested that she heads to the bank or make a transfer from her mobile app, which she shrugged off immediately like it was not even an option.

The young man with her insisted I get a POS vendor so that the transaction can be made which I declined and told them that there were many around the vicinity that they can go get one if they wish to. The young man left and returned a few minutes later with one, when they arrived the woman suddenly said she was scared and needed to invite the person who referred her to our place. She called this person and he arrived shortly, he was someone known to us in the past but not well known. She then requested that I get another POS vendor, which I suggested that they should get back the previous vendor they invited earlier. The young man went back again and returned with the vendor. The woman gave the vendor a debit card, which the vendor tried pulling the whole money at once, but it didn't go.(exceeded limit) The POS vendor then proceeded to split the money and it was successful. So she was only able to make part payment for the goods.

They were about to leave when I reminded them that I was supposed to issue a receipt for the part payment deposited into my account. Which I did later, and they left. Fast forward to the evening same day, she called me claiming that her husband's health was demanding much, and she wouldn't be in need of what she purchased earlier that I would have to refund her immediately.

What rose my suspicions on them are:

1. The acclaimed husband of hers, whom she claimed had stroke as at when they visited the shop, I saw him earlier when they alighted from a Keke napep which dropped them across the road and he was walking very fine but when they began to approach my shop he began to limp like he couldn't walk properly and the woman held his hand for assistance (they didn't know that I had seen him earlier walking properly without any form of aid) when they were at the shop, the acclaimed husband who had stroke sat and crossed his legs, is that even possible for someone suffering from a stroke?

2. Why would they insist on only POS mode of payment (for a transaction worth millions)

3. Why would a woman whose acclaimed husband is sick with stroke decide to perform such a transaction (her pirioty should be making sure her husband is taken care of medically)

4. I know you must be wondering what it is she bought, but I will not be disclosing such for privacy reasons (Hint: it is a single item)

5. She was incoherent when I asked for the name and address that would be added to the receipt (it seemed like she was guessing the name and address)

What are your thoughts? Should I refund the money immediately, if I will, what are the measures to be taken to ensure I am on a safe side

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by ishayaauta(m): 9:46pm On Oct 02, 2023
Hi kindly tell them
1. you've reached yourdaily limit

2. By tomorrow tell them your account has been flagged and you're trying to rectify it with your bank. (before doing this, make sure she has texted you the said account to transfer to.)

3. After 5 business day, you can transfer the said amount if nothing flags your account.

Goodluck

326 Likes 25 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by CreedElliot: 9:56pm On Oct 02, 2023
This is an interesting situation. Can you issue a check ? However this matter ends, let us know as im interested in learning from this situation

23 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Wawelexy(m): 10:05pm On Oct 02, 2023
Possible situation

1. They stole someone debit card at gun point or by trick and requested for the pin, they avoided the ATM stand cos the machine will take their pictures when used and moreover, withdrawal limit of ATM is also an hindrance, and it will take time to withdraw 500k and above cos ATM max withdrawal at a single transaction is 10-20k. The man suffering from supposed stroke, two kids, referral and the woman are all accomplice.

You have already been indicted cos there's a transactional link between your account and the debit card in question here, if anything should later come up, the bank will definitely trace a link to your account.

What to do; Go to a nearby station and report the case, so as to be exonerated just incase anything springs up. Also, asked them to come and get back the refund in person, secretly take pictures of them, put your phone on record and purposely ask question or initiate a discussion that would make it clear that you are not in anyway related to them and do not have any deal aside for the fact that they are buying goods from you and also returning it to get a refund.

Warning ⚠️: do not accept any form of compensation for refunding them, they might offer you a deal to refund them 900k instead of the 1M they initially sent for the goods, please do not accept it, but however, you can charge them for inconvenience, this can be defended.

356 Likes 26 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by wittywriter: 10:16pm On Oct 02, 2023
OP Get to discuss with your bank account officer...if you yet know your account officer visit the bank and demand for your account officer.
Moreso if the customer starts to disturb/worry you for the refund tell her to follow you to the bank for the refund process/transaction to be executed.

Wittyness.

101 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Tinubuagbado: 10:20pm On Oct 02, 2023
Nairaland1stson:
I have suspicion that someone wants to use my account to launder money. A lady visited my shop demanding to purchase goods worth millions of naira she was so much in a hurry or desperate for someone who intends to perform such transactions. She was accompanied by a man she claimed to be her sick husband, two kids, and another young man. She claimed she needed to perform the transaction as soon as possible so she could travel down to a neighboring state for her husband's treatment. There was no much negotiations as it seemed she was the one begging for the goods to be sold to her. After confirmation she said I should bring my POS machine so she could make a transfer, I already had suspicions on her so I told her i didn't have one and besides who would want to perform transactions worth millions of naira with a POS machine mode of payment. I suggested that she heads to the bank or make a transfer from her mobile app, which she shrugged off immediately like it was not even an option. The young man with her insisted I get a POS vendor so that the transaction can be made which I declined and told them that there were many around the vicinity that they can go get one if they wish to. The young man left and returned a few minutes later with one, when they arrived the woman suddenly said she was scared and needed to invite the person who referred her to our place. She called this person and he arrived shortly, he was someone known to us in the past but not well known. She then requested that I get another POS vendor, which I suggested that they should get back the previous vendor they invited earlier. The young man went back again and returned with the vendor. The woman gave the vendor a debit card, which the vendor tried pulling the whole money at once, but it didn't go.(exceeded limit) The POS vendor then proceeded to split the money and it was successful. So she was only able to make part payment for the goods. They were about to leave when I reminded them that I was supposed to issue a receipt for the part payment deposited into my account. Which I did later, and they left. Fast forward to the evening same day, she called me claiming that her husband's health was demanding much, and she wouldn't be in need of what she purchased earlier that I would have to refund her immediately.

1. The acclaimed husband of hers, whom she claimed had stroke as at when they visited the shop, I saw him earlier when they alighted from a Keke napep which dropped them across the road and he was walking very fine but when they began to approach my shop he began to limp like he couldn't walk properly and the woman held his hand for assistance (they didn't know that I had seen him earlier walking properly without any form of aid) when they were at the shop, the acclaimed husband who had stroke sat and crossed his legs, is that even possible for someone suffering from a stroke?

2. Why would they insist on only POS mode of payment (for a transaction worth millions)

3. Why would a woman whose acclaimed husband is sick with stroke decide to perform such a transaction (her pirioty should be making sure her husband is taken care of medically)

4. I know you must be wondering what it is she bought, but I will not be disclosing such for privacy reasons (Hint: it is a single item)

5. She was incoherent when I asked for the name and address that would be added to the receipt (it seemed like she was guessing the name and address)

What are your thoughts? Should I refund the money immediately, if I will, what are the measures to be taken to ensure I am on a safe side

You give the money and hands off. Don't get yourself involve in problems you don't need.

Don't listen to these frausters telling you to withold the money.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by lazkizz(m): 10:23pm On Oct 02, 2023
you are too smart for us to advice you, oga detective

"Las las na wetin favor man, man dey do"

~Erriga

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by LifeOfTrigga(m): 11:37pm On Oct 02, 2023
This format don land many car sellers for station lol

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Ayoade19(m): 11:48pm On Oct 02, 2023
Involve the police. If you're scared of the police maybe you should inform the EFCC and a lawyer, if possible your account officer

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by nedekid: 11:49pm On Oct 02, 2023
Hmm, I see wahala ahead. Police issues.
If you have to refund, you will only refund to the account that credited your own account, not some other one provided to you.
I think you should as a matter of urgency write a letter to your bank, take it to the bank and get it acknowledged, in the letter express your concerns and request for advice.
If naija were a correct place, I would have adviced you go to the nearest police station and incident the issue also. If bold enough make a police report.
The above is to try to cover your arse as much as possible when the incoming yawa gases.

99 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by 46arcadez(m): 1:00am On Oct 03, 2023
Better go to your bank and transfer the money to where it came from with 'part payment refund' written on the remark space.

My 10 kobo advice

60 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by eventainment(m): 5:12am On Oct 03, 2023
Thing is nothing concern you. If she used POS that means the transaction was withdraw and transfer or withdraw and pay in cash that's what happened. You are a business man and so you can't know how your clients gets their money. If they ask for refund stall for some days then kindly refund the way the money came

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by CreedElliot: 6:07am On Oct 03, 2023
Ayoade19:
Involve the police. If you're scared of the police maybe you should inform the EFCC and a lawyer, if possible your account officer

And what if its a false alarm. Take it easy with the soeed to conclude people are thieves

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by CreedElliot: 6:08am On Oct 03, 2023
eventainment:
Thing is nothing concern you. If she used POS that means the transaction was withdraw and transfer or withdraw and pay in cash that's what happened. You are a business man and so you can't know how your clients gets their money. If they ask for refund stall for some days then kindly refund the way the money came

I agree 100%. I think the Op is overly strict

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by CreedElliot: 6:11am On Oct 03, 2023
nedekid:
Hmm, I see wahala ahead. Police issues.
If you have to refund, you will only refund to the account that credited your own account, not some other one provided to you.
I think you should as a matter of urgency write a letter to your bank, take it to the bank and get it acknowledged, in the letter express your concerns and request for advice.
If naija were a correct place, I would have adviced you go to the nearest police station and incident the issue also. If bold enough make a police report.
The above is to try to cover your arse as much as possible when the incoming yawa gases.

How would he correctly know the account the money came from ?

5 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by henidord3: 6:13am On Oct 03, 2023
Be calm nothing it's going to happen
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Aaaaarghmed(m): 6:16am On Oct 03, 2023
OP,as someone advised here,try to get their pictures and record some conversations with them as evidence incase things go haywire

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by nedekid: 6:49am On Oct 03, 2023
CreedElliot:

How would he correctly know the account the money came from ?
The name of the account will be on your alert, statement or if you check your app. Since account number might not show, you can call customercare or visit your branch to get the account number that transfered to you. It is not a secretive matter.
You will only transfer to that account name that shows on your alert, statement etc.
Have you noticed aliexpress will only refund to the card you used to make purchase?.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Houseofglam7(f): 6:52am On Oct 03, 2023
Hmmmmmmm
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by CreedElliot: 6:54am On Oct 03, 2023
nedekid:

The name of the account will be on your alert, statement or if you check your app. Since account number might not show, you can call customercare or visit your branch to get the account number that transfered to you. It is not a secretive matter.
You will only transfer to that account name that shows on your alert, statement etc.
Have you noticed aliexpress will only refund to the card you used to make purchase?.

Okay. You have a point

4 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by DyingFetus: 8:04am On Oct 03, 2023
lazkizz:
you are to smart for us to advice you, oga detective

Nice one thief

6 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by pstemma1990: 8:56am On Oct 03, 2023
If what u wrote there is true, then u don't have any case, it wasn't ur pos that they used, they used another person's own, so even if there is any case, the pos person would be brought in first before u...

My candid advice, tell them that u can't refund them the money, they should come and carry what they bought, and if u must refund, u have to refund it to the pos account it was sent from.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Mrbenny001: 9:33am On Oct 03, 2023
Op take this advice serious
nedekid:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by talk2hb1(m): 9:51am On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:
I have suspicion that someone wants to use my account to launder money.
……..
……..
Speak with your legal adviser on what to do,
Speak with your account officer or the bank manager,
Involve EFCC

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by ILoveFaith: 12:14pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:
I have suspicion that someone wants to use my account to launder money. A lady visited my shop demanding to purchase goods worth millions of naira she was so much in a hurry or desperate for someone who intends to perform such transactions. She was accompanied by a man she claimed to be her sick husband, two kids, and another young man. She claimed she needed to perform the transaction as soon as possible so she could travel down to a neighboring state for her husband's treatment. There was no much negotiations as it seemed she was the one begging for the goods to be sold to her. After confirmation she said I should bring my POS machine so she could make a transfer, I already had suspicions on her so I told her i didn't have one and besides who would want to perform transactions worth millions of naira with a POS machine mode of payment. I suggested that she heads to the bank or make a transfer from her mobile app, which she shrugged off immediately like it was not even an option. The young man with her insisted I get a POS vendor so that the transaction can be made which I declined and told them that there were many around the vicinity that they can go get one if they wish to. The young man left and returned a few minutes later with one, when they arrived the woman suddenly said she was scared and needed to invite the person who referred her to our place. She called this person and he arrived shortly, he was someone known to us in the past but not well known. She then requested that I get another POS vendor, which I suggested that they should get back the previous vendor they invited earlier. The young man went back again and returned with the vendor. The woman gave the vendor a debit card, which the vendor tried pulling the whole money at once, but it didn't go.(exceeded limit) The POS vendor then proceeded to split the money and it was successful. So she was only able to make part payment for the goods. They were about to leave when I reminded them that I was supposed to issue a receipt for the part payment deposited into my account. Which I did later, and they left. Fast forward to the evening same day, she called me claiming that her husband's health was demanding much, and she wouldn't be in need of what she purchased earlier that I would have to refund her immediately.

No advice to give but be sure you know what you’re doing.
Those advises up there are nothing but springboards to get you into the trouble you’re trying to avert.

2 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Wealthoptulent(m): 12:21pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

think or you KNOW?

bro[b] if bread is found in ur hands u go CHOW beans o[/b]
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by veekid(m): 1:12pm On Oct 03, 2023
Talk to Marthy Byrde

Ozark

3 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by smokanabizz(m): 1:12pm On Oct 03, 2023
How come
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by saintkel(m): 1:13pm On Oct 03, 2023
Ok
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by moscobabs(m): 1:13pm On Oct 03, 2023
sad
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by MykellOni(m): 1:13pm On Oct 03, 2023
Attendance: Present ✔️
Oga lo report ara e
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Kingpele(m): 1:13pm On Oct 03, 2023
If EFCC catch u .u go explain tire..you're already involved... obviously they stole someone card ...u should have insisted on mobile app transfer. However to get yourself off this mess u most insist that they should carry whatever they bought from u in that case u will be free from any legal action..because u are not a spirit to see through people's hearts and intentions

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gunshots, Violence Rock Jos As Hausa Youths Block Tina Junction Road / Man Beats His Girlfriend Publicly In Delta State. Photos / Bandits Kill 25 In Sokoto In Fresh Attacks [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.