Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,417 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering (28444 Views)

"I Might Die Before Tomorrow": Man Killed In Ibadan Robbery Attack Wrote / Ibrah, Ghanaian Yahoo Boy Arrested For Money Laundering - Photos / Paul Gabriel Amos, Lamborghini Driver Charged With Money Laundering - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by jaymichael(m): 2:30pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:
I have suspicion that someone wants to use my account to launder money. A lady visited my shop demanding to purchase goods worth millions of naira she was so much in a hurry or desperate for someone who intends to perform such transactions. She was accompanied by a man she claimed to be her sick husband, two kids, and another young man. She claimed she needed to perform the transaction as soon as possible so she could travel down to a neighboring state for her husband's treatment.

There was no much negotiations as it seemed she was the one begging for the goods to be sold to her. After confirmation she said I should bring my POS machine so she could make a transfer, I already had suspicions on her so I told her i didn't have one and besides who would want to perform transactions worth millions of naira with a POS machine mode of payment. I suggested that she heads to the bank or make a transfer from her mobile app, which she shrugged off immediately like it was not even an option.

The young man with her insisted I get a POS vendor so that the transaction can be made which I declined and told them that there were many around the vicinity that they can go get one if they wish to. The young man left and returned a few minutes later with one, when they arrived the woman suddenly said she was scared and needed to invite the person who referred her to our place. She called this person and he arrived shortly, he was someone known to us in the past but not well known. She then requested that I get another POS vendor, which I suggested that they should get back the previous vendor they invited earlier. The young man went back again and returned with the vendor. The woman gave the vendor a debit card, which the vendor tried pulling the whole money at once, but it didn't go.(exceeded limit) The POS vendor then proceeded to split the money and it was successful. So she was only able to make part payment for the goods.

They were about to leave when I reminded them that I was supposed to issue a receipt for the part payment deposited into my account. Which I did later, and they left. Fast forward to the evening same day, she called me claiming that her husband's health was demanding much, and she wouldn't be in need of what she purchased earlier that I would have to refund her immediately.

What rose my suspicions on them are:

1. The acclaimed husband of hers, whom she claimed had stroke as at when they visited the shop, I saw him earlier when they alighted from a Keke napep which dropped them across the road and he was walking very fine but when they began to approach my shop he began to limp like he couldn't walk properly and the woman held his hand for assistance (they didn't know that I had seen him earlier walking properly without any form of aid) when they were at the shop, the acclaimed husband who had stroke sat and crossed his legs, is that even possible for someone suffering from a stroke?

2. Why would they insist on only POS mode of payment (for a transaction worth millions)

3. Why would a woman whose acclaimed husband is sick with stroke decide to perform such a transaction (her pirioty should be making sure her husband is taken care of medically)

4. I know you must be wondering what it is she bought, but I will not be disclosing such for privacy reasons (Hint: it is a single item)

5. She was incoherent when I asked for the name and address that would be added to the receipt (it seemed like she was guessing the name and address)

What are your thoughts? Should I refund the money immediately, if I will, what are the measures to be taken to ensure I am on a safe side
Return the money and go to prison for someone else's crime.
If you have to refund, go to the bank and refund into the account from which the amount was paid.

2 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Sharpsharp00123: 2:36pm On Oct 03, 2023
Wawelexy:
Possible situation

1. They stole someone debit card at gun point or by trick and requested for the pin, they avoided the ATM stand cos the machine will take their pictures when used and moreover, withdrawal limit of ATM is also an hindrance, and it will take time to withdraw 500k and above cos ATM max withdrawal at a single transaction is 10-20k. The man suffering from supposed stroke, two kids, referral and the woman are all accomplice.

You have already been indicted cos there's a transactional link between your account and the debit card in question here, if anything should later come up, the bank will definitely trace a link to your account.

What to do; Go to a nearby station and report the case, so as to be exonerated just incase anything springs up. Also, asked them to come and get back the refund in person, secretly take pictures of them, put your phone on record and purposely ask question or initiate a discussion that would make it clear that you are not in anyway related to them and do not have any deal aside for the fact that they are buying goods from you and also returning it to get a refund.

Warning ⚠️: do not accept any form of compensation for refunding them, they might offer you a deal to refund them 900k instead of the 1M they initially sent for the goods, please do not accept it, but however, you can charge them for inconvenience, this can be defended.
the best way is to tell them to come n block her at d station so they can sign a letter to state clearly what transpired

Both parties will sign n the officer in charge will sign too n they take pictures together as evidence

Then she can move their money to them n have rest of mind
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by duncan511: 2:38pm On Oct 03, 2023
Don't send the money to them, for your own good, then request for them to be present and do this
1. Invite a Police Officer, Police Officer should not wear police Uniform, by then you have make complain at the station and pay for arrest of the suspect, don't mind the money you will spend at all, definitely if you for victim, you spend more than that. Then invite the suspect to come to your shop and let the Police Officer also be in your shop, take note, the Police Officer must come before them, when they come then do this:
2. Take their picture with your phone, only the suspect in the present of the Police Officer, if they argue then tell them that, that is the only way you can return their money to them, they might refuse then you will understand they are criminals but Police Officer should wait oh without putting mouth yet.
3. Tell them you will go to your bank for them to reverse the back to the account it came from and collect your receipt from them in the present of the Police Officer, don't transfer any money for them, the way the money come in that same way it will return back, and the POS guy also do the same things, I repeat don't transfer any money to them.
4. Let Police Officer arrest them and take the suspect to the station for questioning, let the Police run a check on that particular ATM card giving to the POS to send the money to you, if it truly belong to them, if it doesn't then, the Police will invite the owner of the card to the station, if it work out might also end up collecting your spend from the owner. But mention you collect your receipt from them. Good luck, follow this advice so mind will be at rest., You can do only the last one self
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by aktolly54(m): 2:39pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:
I have suspicion that someone wants to use my account to launder money. A lady visited my shop demanding to purchase goods worth millions of naira she was so much in a hurry or desperate for someone who intends to perform such transactions. She was accompanied by a man she claimed to be her sick husband, two kids, and another young man. She claimed she needed to perform the transaction as soon as possible so she could travel down to a neighboring state for her husband's treatment.

There was no much negotiations as it seemed she was the one begging for the goods to be sold to her. After confirmation she said I should bring my POS machine so she could make a transfer, I already had suspicions on her so I told her i didn't have one and besides who would want to perform transactions worth millions of naira with a POS machine mode of payment. I suggested that she heads to the bank or make a transfer from her mobile app, which she shrugged off immediately like it was not even an option.

The young man with her insisted I get a POS vendor so that the transaction can be made which I declined and told them that there were many around the vicinity that they can go get one if they wish to. The young man left and returned a few minutes later with one, when they arrived the woman suddenly said she was scared and needed to invite the person who referred her to our place. She called this person and he arrived shortly, he was someone known to us in the past but not well known. She then requested that I get another POS vendor, which I suggested that they should get back the previous vendor they invited earlier. The young man went back again and returned with the vendor. The woman gave the vendor a debit card, which the vendor tried pulling the whole money at once, but it didn't go.(exceeded limit) The POS vendor then proceeded to split the money and it was successful. So she was only able to make part payment for the goods.

They were about to leave when I reminded them that I was supposed to issue a receipt for the part payment deposited into my account. Which I did later, and they left. Fast forward to the evening same day, she called me claiming that her husband's health was demanding much, and she wouldn't be in need of what she purchased earlier that I would have to refund her immediately.

1. The acclaimed husband of hers, whom she claimed had stroke as at when they visited the shop, I saw him earlier when they alighted from a Keke napep which dropped them across the road and he was walking very fine but when they began to approach my shop he began to limp like he couldn't walk properly and the woman held his hand for assistance (they didn't know that I had seen him earlier walking properly without any form of aid) when they were at the shop, the acclaimed husband who had stroke sat and crossed his legs, is that even possible for someone suffering from a stroke?

2. Why would they insist on only POS mode of payment (for a transaction worth millions)

3. Why would a woman whose acclaimed husband is sick with stroke decide to perform such a transaction (her pirioty should be making sure her husband is taken care of medically)

4. I know you must be wondering what it is she bought, but I will not be disclosing such for privacy reasons (Hint: it is a single item)

5. She was incoherent when I asked for the name and address that would be added to the receipt (it seemed like she was guessing the name and address)

What are your thoughts? Should I refund the money immediately, if I will, what are the measures to be taken to ensure I am on a safe side
ask them to show you valid ID correspond to name on the debit card used. If it match then you take a photocopy of the ID and process their refund or you talk to a friend you know who work in bank on how to go about it
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by MrOpp(m): 2:40pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

This matter is straightforward. If she insists on a refund, wait for a minimum of 48 hours, then proceed to return the money to the same account it originated from.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by OpulentP: 2:42pm On Oct 03, 2023
It's necessary for every reasonable business to have a business account, it's enough to exonerate u in this case, if any thing happen.

Gather every evidences u can, get ur lawyer to advice u on what to do. If u will be going to the police station go with ur lawyer

Sometime ago, I heard a story similar to this, some people approached a car stand and choose a particular car and promise to send the money of the said car after collecting account no. About 2 days later some money was transfered truely which is not up to the money for the chosen car. So, they went back to the said car dealer and requested for the money that they can't afford the chosen car and they want their money back.
They offer the car dealer some money that he should remove part and he should give them the balance cash, which he did.

Months later the car dealer was arrested, for kidnapping, that was wen he realized that his account was used to collect ransom.

Had it been, he gave business account, it will be unstood that he's not part of them, they only transact with his business, which is better to arresting someone as a kidnapper.

To all of us business owners, let be careful out there and makesure we don't used personal account for our businesses.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by mp3ree: 2:44pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

If you love yourself do not refund the money, that's the main reason for the transaction. "You will refund with physical cash "
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by gratefulheart(m): 2:45pm On Oct 03, 2023
People that launder money uses people that do millions transactions daily. It seems you don do that volume?
You've nothing to fear except they're robbers.

Nairaland1stson:

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Lance008(m): 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2023
Bro all those saying police never see at all
Police go Extort you help you start case where case no dey because dem need money
Go your bank for refund if anything happens your bank hold the blame
You no fit Dey delay person money because you no trust am
Do u know if they are real
Return back to card
Why you won dey stress them
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by funbamby(m): 2:58pm On Oct 03, 2023
Dear All Here is the Approach for such Refunds

1. Let them write a letter requesting for Refund of the Deposited amount and forward the letter either by email or Hard Copy

2. Let them know you refund process takes a minimum of 5 working days as the refund processing will go through your Auditors before it is approved

3. Insist that the refund would only be made to the Account with same credentials as it is obtainable on the Bank Debit Card Used for the Transaction. if you can not get the account number name must be exact name on the Bank Debit Card Used.

4. If they cooperate with the above ensure you do not accept any form of compensation as the amount refunded must tally with the amount paid and ensure you have a CCTV system/ or any means of getting their pictures in place when they come for the refund collection which will have to be through a Cheque. Never issue a Transfer.

5. If they do not cooperate with the above please file a formal report in the nearest police Station
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Uniquewise: 2:59pm On Oct 03, 2023
Tinubuagbado:

You give the money and hands off. Don't get yourself involve in problems you don't need.

Don't listen to these frausters telling you to withold the money.

Ahhhhhhh!!!

Errrmmm... pls, how old are you again lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Uwaiwe: 3:05pm On Oct 03, 2023
Go to your bank ensure you get the account number the money was debited from with the POS . Insist you transfer back to same account or report to a police station for proper documentation.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by emmylight4u: 3:07pm On Oct 03, 2023
This is probably a case of stolen ATM card...

If you get the police involved, you are most likely culpable because you already have the money in your possession.

...but then, what kind of advice can we give a smart person like you...

Please use ur smartness and suspicion to solve the problem by making sure you do not release physical cash or transfer to that woman as the money must be paid to the ATM card that was debited, please.

Did I make myself clear

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by tunwumi: 3:14pm On Oct 03, 2023
Wawelexy:
Possible situation

1. They stole someone debit card at gun point or by trick and requested for the pin, they avoided the ATM stand cos the machine will take their pictures when used and moreover, withdrawal limit of ATM is also an hindrance, and it will take time to withdraw 500k and above cos ATM max withdrawal at a single transaction is 10-20k. The man suffering from supposed stroke, two kids, referral and the woman are all accomplice.

You have already been indicted cos there's a transactional link between your account and the debit card in question here, if anything should later come up, the bank will definitely trace a link to your account.

What to do; Go to a nearby station and report the case, so as to be exonerated just incase anything springs up. Also, asked them to come and get back the refund in person, secretly take pictures of them, put your phone on record and purposely ask question or initiate a discussion that would make it clear that you are not in anyway related to them and do not have any deal aside for the fact that they are buying goods from you and also returning it to get a refund.

Warning ⚠️: do not accept any form of compensation for refunding them, they might offer you a deal to refund them 900k instead of the 1M they initially sent for the goods, please do not accept it, but however, you can charge them for inconvenience, this can be defended.

Just an addition, let them provide a valid means of identification. Don't charge if they didn't take the iPhone away. grin grin grin
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by strangebutreal(f): 3:18pm On Oct 03, 2023
Hello, I'd advice you involve the police before transferring any money back to anyone.

My neighbor has been in Kuje Prison since the beginning of this way, he was arrested by DSS earlier this year, January precisely for something he knows nothing about..

To cut the long story short, he misplaced his phone and didn't make a report, the simcard was used to open an opay account, then they transferred some huge amount of money into the account. Little did he know that someone was killed and robbed at gun point, all his money was transferred into the opay account registered with my neighbors simcard..

His mobile line was traced and he was arrested by DSS, he's currently facing some count charges, murderer, money laundering, armed robbery..
Now, he's being accused of killing a family and robbing them of their possessions..

Make God Almighty save us all!!?
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:
I have suspicion that someone wants to use my account to launder...

If you're going to issue a refund, refund only into the account through which you were paid.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by olisaokere(m): 3:21pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

Go to your bank,request that your bank send the money back to the account it came from
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Correctbet247: 3:22pm On Oct 03, 2023
Fake story
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by 9jatriot(m): 3:23pm On Oct 03, 2023
This sounds scaring.
I thought those apps do some form of verification and validation?
strangebutreal:
Hello, I'd advice you involve the police before transferring any money back to anyone.

My neighbor has been in Kuje Prison since the beginning of this way, he was arrested by DSS earlier this year, January precisely for something he knows nothing about..

To cut the long story short, he misplaced his phone and didn't make a report, the simcard was used to open an opay account, then they transferred some huge amount of money into the account. Little did he know that someone was killed and robbed at gun point, all his money was transferred into the opay account registered with my neighbors simcard..

His mobile line was traced and he was arrested by DSS, he's currently facing some count charges, murderer, money laundering, armed robbery..
Now, he's being accused of killing a family and robbing them of their possessions..

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Connected1: 3:30pm On Oct 03, 2023
Tell them the money has been used and you cannot refund.

Period, come worse, they have to look for another buy who will pay them, do not refund the money or you will have already roped yourself, I have been in this situation before and it was 200k.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by BrickDevo: 3:42pm On Oct 03, 2023
If they ask for a refund to an account different from the name on the Atm card, it is likely to be a fraud, because they needed to withdraw the money from the Atm card first and then transfer to you, from you to them.

Now if it was fraud, and it will get traced to your account. But i know you won't remember the name on the card even or the details of the customer.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by BrickDevo: 3:43pm On Oct 03, 2023
46arcadez:
Better go to your bank and transfer the money to where it came from with 'part payment refund' written on the remark space.

My 10 kobo advice
can money be transferred back to an Atm, Even without the details
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Giftedness20: 3:43pm On Oct 03, 2023
The best thing to do is to wait for 3 days. If there is no issue simply return the money to the source account. A friend had similar issue his saving grace was that he returned the money to the source account and tag it suspicious transaction. When the police arrested him, he presented every evidence of the transaction and they released him.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by CastroTbb(m): 3:47pm On Oct 03, 2023
Your business is one described as "Designated Non-Financial Businesses and Professions." When you encounter something like this, quick file "Suspicious Transaction Report" with the "Special Control Unit Against Money Laundering" aka SCUML.

Thank me later.

Nairaland1stson:

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Foodempire: 3:48pm On Oct 03, 2023
Simply refund the exact amount back to the same account it came from, not another one.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by agabusta: 3:49pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

The simple thing to do is to ensure the money is refunded into the account it came from.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by emmancipated(m): 3:49pm On Oct 03, 2023
If you can, ensure that any refund you do, goes back to the initial account that sent the money out.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by rulin247: 3:53pm On Oct 03, 2023
strangebutreal:

Blood of God! 🙆🏾‍♂️
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by MrDoGood(m): 3:53pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

If it's a stolen card, what they're trying to do is clean the money and leave no trace to them.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by TheSociopath(m): 3:54pm On Oct 03, 2023
Wawelexy:
Possible situation

If you must refund, refund it to the POS account they used to make the transfer
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by MarketDispatch: 3:54pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:
I have suspicion that ould have to refund her immediately.

[side
Ask to see the debit card that was used for the transactions on the pos, so that the name must match the account number she presented for refunds
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Collins4u1(m): 3:55pm On Oct 03, 2023
if you must refund,
go through the POS person and redund to the primary source of the money.

Goodluck

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Notorious Armed Robbers Who Killed 3 Policemen In Rivers State Arrested (Photo) / Bandits Kill 25 In Sokoto In Fresh Attacks [PHOTOS] / Frank-Anthony Igboka's Death: N5 Million Reward For Information On Killers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.