Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering (28454 Views)

"I Might Die Before Tomorrow": Man Killed In Ibadan Robbery Attack Wrote / Ibrah, Ghanaian Yahoo Boy Arrested For Money Laundering - Photos / Paul Gabriel Amos, Lamborghini Driver Charged With Money Laundering - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Kellie069(m): 1:41pm On Oct 03, 2023
Bros . Your receipt nor carry “no refund of money after payment “?? See eh, the acct that the came from isn’t theirs, they just want to pull out the money by sending it to you and you will credit a separate account which have access to. If she calls you again, tell her that your acct is on hold because of the said transfer and the bank request you to come with the sender as it may be a fraudulent transaction. You won’t see them again. But you must be careful while dealing with such persons as they may not just be fraudsters but kidnappers or armed robbers(they are close by)

3 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by linearity: 1:41pm On Oct 03, 2023
If I understand you correctly, it was the POS Vendor they used the debit card on, and the POS Vendor then possibly debited your account after crediting theirs.

If that is the case, you do not owe them any refund, if you decide to go the refund route, you must involve the POS vendor because if this is a fraud, it is the POS vendor's account that would be flag.

If any refund at all, you will give it or transfer it to the POS vendor's account and let the POS vendor do as he/she wishes and before you do this, make sure all three of you have written an agreement and signed e.g. stating what actually happened....e.g.

1. They came to buy so and so goods from you on so and so date worth so and so amount.
2. They brought POS vendor Mr. so and so who debit the said amount from their account and transfer to your account.
3. On so and so date Mrs. so and so called you that she want a refund.
4. Mrs. so and so returned the goods and you transferred the money back to the POS vendor.
5. POS Vendor then transfer the money back to the debit card or something.

On no account must you give them a refund directly....and in business the golden rule is, to always make refund to the account and method of payment used to purchase the item. That is, if it an electronic transaction, your bank statement will show the name of the person and the partial account number, always insist of making a refund to that named person and account number....if they cannot produce it, involve the police immediately.

NEVER REFUND CASH for a transaction done using the electronic method and NEVER make a REFUND to an account name and number different from the one the payment came from.

3 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by MasterJayJay: 1:42pm On Oct 03, 2023
Your pos was not the one that was used, therefore if you revert the transaction, the money will end up in the account of the other pos vendor and not to the account linked to the debit card.

Take pictures of the woman. Do not refund in cash. Reporting to police or efcc would have been a good suggestion but you may report to a bad officer and you will end up in a bad situation.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by richeeyo(m): 1:43pm On Oct 03, 2023
ishayaauta:
Hi kindly tell them
1. you've reached yourdaily limit

2. By tomorrow tell them your account has been flagged and you're trying to rectify it with your bank. (before doing this, make sure she has texted you the said account to transfer to.)

3. After 5 business day, you can transfer the said amount if nothing flags your account.

Goodluck
Love you advise
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by onatisi(m): 1:43pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:
I have suspicion that someone wants to use my account to launder money. A lady visited my shop demanding to purchase goods worth millions of naira she was so much in a hurry or desperate for someone who intends to perform such transactions. She was accompanied by a man she claimed to be her sick husband, two kids, and another young man. She claimed she needed to perform the transaction as soon as possible so she could travel down to a neighboring state for her husband's treatment.

There was no much negotiations as it seemed she was the one begging for the goods to be sold to her. After confirmation she said I should bring my POS machine so she could make a transfer, I already had suspicions on her so I told her i didn't have one and besides who would want to perform transactions worth millions of naira with a POS machine mode of payment. I suggested that she heads to the bank or make a transfer from her mobile app, which she shrugged off immediately like it was not even an option.

The young man with her insisted I get a POS vendor so that the transaction can be made which I declined and told them that there were many around the vicinity that they can go get one if they wish to. The young man left and returned a few minutes later with one, when they arrived the woman suddenly said she was scared and needed to invite the person who referred her to our place. She called this person and he arrived shortly, he was someone known to us in the past but not well known. She then requested that I get another POS vendor, which I suggested that they should get back the previous vendor they invited earlier. The young man went back again and returned with the vendor. The woman gave the vendor a debit card, which the vendor tried pulling the whole money at once, but it didn't go.(exceeded limit) The POS vendor then proceeded to split the money and it was successful. So she was only able to make part payment for the goods.

They were about to leave when I reminded them that I was supposed to issue a receipt for the part payment deposited into my account. Which I did later, and they left. Fast forward to the evening same day, she called me claiming that her husband's health was demanding much, and she wouldn't be in need of what she purchased earlier that I would have to refund her immediately.

What rose my suspicions on them are:

1. The acclaimed husband of hers, whom she claimed had stroke as at when they visited the shop, I saw him earlier when they alighted from a Keke napep which dropped them across the road and he was walking very fine but when they began to approach my shop he began to limp like he couldn't walk properly and the woman held his hand for assistance (they didn't know that I had seen him earlier walking properly without any form of aid) when they were at the shop, the acclaimed husband who had stroke sat and crossed his legs, is that even possible for someone suffering from a stroke?

2. Why would they insist on only POS mode of payment (for a transaction worth millions)

3. Why would a woman whose acclaimed husband is sick with stroke decide to perform such a transaction (her pirioty should be making sure her husband is taken care of medically)

4. I know you must be wondering what it is she bought, but I will not be disclosing such for privacy reasons (Hint: it is a single item)

5. She was incoherent when I asked for the name and address that would be added to the receipt (it seemed like she was guessing the name and address)

What are your thoughts? Should I refund the money immediately, if I will, what are the measures to be taken to ensure I am on a safe side
Just transfer the money back to the same account it was debited . Ask them for the details ,verify and send back to the same account
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by walexpal(m): 1:43pm On Oct 03, 2023
Please ensure you refund the money back to the same account number that was previously debited, otherwise you may find yourself in a serious fraudulent mess. My one scent as an Accountant.
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by VEHINTOLAR: 1:44pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:
I have suspicion that someone wants to use my account to launder money. A lady visited my shop demanding to purchase goods worth millions of naira she was so much in a hurry or desperate for someone who intends to perform such transactions. She was accompanied by a man she claimed to be her sick husband, two kids, and another young man. She claimed she needed to perform the transaction as soon as possible so she could travel down to a neighboring state for her husband's treatment.

There was no much negotiations as it seemed she was the one begging for the goods to be sold to her. After confirmation she said I should bring my POS machine so she could make a transfer, I already had suspicions on her so I told her i didn't have one and besides who would want to perform transactions worth millions of naira with a POS machine mode of payment. I suggested that she heads to the bank or make a transfer from her mobile app, which she shrugged off immediately like it was not even an option.

The young man with her insisted I get a POS vendor so that the transaction can be made which I declined and told them that there were many around the vicinity that they can go get one if they wish to. The young man left and returned a few minutes later with one, when they arrived the woman suddenly said she was scared and needed to invite the person who referred her to our place. She called this person and he arrived shortly, he was someone known to us in the past but not well known. She then requested that I get another POS vendor, which I suggested that they should get back the previous vendor they invited earlier. The young man went back again and returned with the vendor. The woman gave the vendor a debit card, which the vendor tried pulling the whole money at once, but it didn't go.(exceeded limit) The POS vendor then proceeded to split the money and it was successful. So she was only able to make part payment for the goods.

They were about to leave when I reminded them that I was supposed to issue a receipt for the part payment deposited into my account. Which I did later, and they left. Fast forward to the evening same day, she called me claiming that her husband's health was demanding much, and she wouldn't be in need of what she purchased earlier that I would have to refund her immediately.

1. The acclaimed husband of hers, whom she claimed had stroke as at when they visited the shop, I saw him earlier when they alighted from a Keke napep which dropped them across the road and he was walking very fine but when they began to approach my shop he began to limp like he couldn't walk properly and the woman held his hand for assistance (they didn't know that I had seen him earlier walking properly without any form of aid) when they were at the shop, the acclaimed husband who had stroke sat and crossed his legs, is that even possible for someone suffering from a stroke?

2. Why would they insist on only POS mode of payment (for a transaction worth millions)

3. Why would a woman whose acclaimed husband is sick with stroke decide to perform such a transaction (her pirioty should be making sure her husband is taken care of medically)

4. I know you must be wondering what it is she bought, but I will not be disclosing such for privacy reasons (Hint: it is a single item)

5. She was incoherent when I asked for the name and address that would be added to the receipt (it seemed like she was guessing the name and address)

What are your thoughts? Should I refund the money immediately, if I will, what are the measures to be taken to ensure I am on a safe side

Red flags ! You must cover your ass as best as you can. I will advise you to involve the Police in this transaction because it is capable of landing you in a very serious trouble if the source of the funds later turns out to be fraudulent ! Already you have your doubts about it,never disregard your instincts in any situation. If everything you narrated about those guys is true,then it is very safe to say that they are criminals ! Like someone rightly advised you earlier,you must refund back into the account from which the money was initially transfered into your own account.

Pls,involve the Police and your Bank. Don't do any e-transfer (mobile or whatever) while refunding the money. Go to your bank,obtain a fund transfer form and state explicitly,under "Details",the reasons for the refund. You can request for a photocopy of the already completed form or you take a photograph of it with your mobile Phone.

Be smart !
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by onatisi(m): 1:45pm On Oct 03, 2023
MasterJayJay:
Your pos was not the one that was used, therefore if you revert the transaction, the money will end up in the account of the other pos vendor and not to the account linked to the debit card.

Take pictures of the woman. Do not refund in cash.
very correct ,he should just tell them he can't send to any other account except the account it came from . So it is the POS vendor they have to talk to
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by IamAsiri: 1:45pm On Oct 03, 2023
CreedElliot:

How would he correctly know the account the money came from ?

It can be found out from the bank through NIBSS.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Patented: 1:46pm On Oct 03, 2023
i agree this is very suspicious, just keep a record of everything and all transactions. particularly the account they ask you to transfer to. you may want to preemptively write your bank regarding your suspicions before you do the transfer ans ask for advice from them.

cos when they start tracing money na all accounts dem go block.

Nairaland1stson:

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by flexyrule(m): 1:47pm On Oct 03, 2023
46arcadez:
Better go to your bank and transfer the money to where it came from with 'part payment refund' written on the remark space.

My 10 kobo advice
SIMPLE!
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Babastrong(m): 1:47pm On Oct 03, 2023
You are all criminals. why are you hiding what you are selling.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by IamAsiri: 1:47pm On Oct 03, 2023
onatisi:

Just transfer the money back to the same account it was debited . Ask them for the details ,verify and send back to the same account

And how would you know that by just asking?
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by leisuretym: 1:48pm On Oct 03, 2023
They have swapped someone ATM card or robbed someone and collected the person ATM card and pin, they want to use you to get the money, they will eventually tell you they are no longer buying, when they do just tell then you will tell your account officer to refund the money to the account it came from via CBN, request for their ID and ensure you confirmed their phone numbers, dial it and mks sure it rings there and there.
Pls Stop them, dont let them trap another person with this trick, bank and police will soon be after you if you let them go free, you will refund every penny, involve the police right now before any refund
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Aladine(m): 1:49pm On Oct 03, 2023
Whatever you do, don’t return the money by cash or transfer. Tell them you would like to reverse it to the senders account. This people are kidnappers. Hopefully they have not killed anyone yet. They usually do this all the time especially to car dealers. They will now ask for cash and tell the car dealer to keep ten percent as they can’t buy again. Don’t go to prison for something you don’t know oo. Document everything from now on. Record their calls and conversations. Let them sign. Tell them you want them to do agreements with you inside police station. Get a police officer to witness the refund .
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by honour7: 1:51pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

Report to the police your suspicion
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by KayyDee: 1:53pm On Oct 03, 2023
nedekid:
Hmm, I see wahala ahead. Police issues.
If you have to refund, you will only refund to the account that credited your own account, not some other one provided to you.
I think you should as a matter of urgency write a letter to your bank, take it to the bank and get it acknowledged, in the letter express your concerns and request for advice.
If naija were a correct place, I would have adviced you go to the nearest police station and incident the issue also. If bold enough make a police report.
The above is to try to cover your arse as much as possible when the incoming yawa gases.

This is perhaps the smartest response so far.

Also one of the first commenters also spoke of finding a way to get them to be present and secretly get their pictures and conversations to clear you of any assumption of connection, or any criminal conspiracy.

By the way, your culprit fit dey nairaland dey read this right now.

So, be smart and fast.

Ensure you are legally covered, and very fast too, b4 the scammed/robbed reports first(if that's what happened)

3 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by OlujobaSamuel: 1:54pm On Oct 03, 2023
Op, can you still recollect the bank card and the name on it
If Yes, request for the account she wants the money in, if it tally, you can return the money and won't have an issue, if no, don't refund any money.
Tell her you don't know what happened, that your account has been flagged, that bank said you should bring the person that did the transaction on your machine or provide the name, contact and address.
What her Japa after telling her that
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by lansha2006: 1:58pm On Oct 03, 2023
I concur
Wawelexy:
Possible situation

1. They stole someone debit card at gun point or by trick and requested for the pin, they avoided the ATM stand cos the machine will take their pictures when used and moreover, withdrawal limit of ATM is also an hindrance, and it will take time to withdraw 500k and above cos ATM max withdrawal at a single transaction is 10-20k. The man suffering from supposed stroke, two kids, referral and the woman are all accomplice.

You have already been indicted cos there's a transactional link between your account and the debit card in question here, if anything should later come up, the bank will definitely trace a link to your account.

What to do; Go to a nearby station and report the case, so as to be exonerated just incase anything springs up. Also, asked them to come and get back the refund in person, secretly take pictures of them, put your phone on record and purposely ask question or initiate a discussion that would make it clear that you are not in anyway related to them and do not have any deal aside for the fact that they are buying goods from you and also returning it to get a refund.

Warning ⚠️: do not accept any form of compensation for refunding them, they might offer you a deal to refund them 900k instead of the 1M they initially sent for the goods, please do not accept it, but however, you can charge them for inconvenience, this can be defended.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by IamAtikulate: 2:01pm On Oct 03, 2023
Those advising you to report to the police are only setting you up for more troubles. You'll definitely regret it.

Again, what if your suspicion is wrong?

For example, USSD code doesn't work with my GTB bank account and I have been trying to install the app without success. I only use the debit card.

What if that's their case?

Again, if actually they wanted to launder money through you, there is a far safer way to do that than buying from your shop via POS and asking for a refund.

It's very traceable.

They can simply withdraw 200k cash from multiple POS vendors and then deposit into their account via another POS. It'll only take time.

I don't believe that money is not theirs. Just tread with caution and don't fall into the pit some unguided people are already digging for you.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by remzytimer: 2:02pm On Oct 03, 2023
Report any suspicious act to the nearest police station but you have to be sure. And pls don't rush yourself into any transactions after the money has enter you account delay them very well, if possible contact you account officer to be sure the money is in your account.

Nairaland1stson:

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by AbujaLagos: 2:02pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

Do you have working CCTV Camera installed?

Do you try to stylishly make video of them. No CCTV footage, you go explain tire

Don't refund the money . Only if you are sending the money back to the account she sent the money from.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Housing(m): 2:08pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

What are your thoughts?

Don't make any payment to them get a Lawyer to accompany you to your State EFCC office, you can do that also by writing a letter to that effect, make similar lodgement with your State Police Headquarters or Area Command and also write to inform your bank. While doing this give them excuses that you have issue with your account, ensure you collect the account they which to transfer into. Get the address of the POS operator and if possible the account from which the money was withdrawn from.

Tell them to write their refund request in black and white with a verifiable means of identification. Submit that with your lodgement before making any payment and ensure you paid into their personal bank account. You can do that by following them to their bank nearest branch for verification and possible payment.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Propertyking(m): 2:09pm On Oct 03, 2023
From experience if you really don't want to have police case. Get the POS guy that did the transfer and beg him to get you the bank and name on the card they used for the transfer to you through him. Because the details in your credit alert will be showing the POS name. If the POS guys helps you out. Go to the bank with the name and explain to their customer service what happened and to help you with the persons account number. Check if the account number the people sent to you correspond with the name and account you got from the POS and bank. If not then know they are fraudulent and report sharp sharp to Efcc office closest to you before going to the nearest police station near you ooooo. Because police fit turn you to their temporary bread winner lock you up first, collect bail before they even start investigation
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Olichoke: 2:12pm On Oct 03, 2023
You don't really have any case here to fear. If I read you correctly, your customer used a POS agent to withdraw the money and transferred it from the POS terminal to your account. If any issue comes up, it will be the POS agent and not you.

If your customer transferred directly to your own account either through USSD or Bank APP , that's when you can be implicated. But you have no trace or link to anyone's account. It's like you were paid cash. So return the money to them and rest.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Warmaterial(m): 2:13pm On Oct 03, 2023
I don't understand your fear here, it wasn't your PoS that was used to pay in the money, so why are you afraid? You can tell them you will transfer it to the POS that they used the day of the transaction, then the PoS guy will transfer to their own account.

2 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Sharpsharp00123: 2:21pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

tell her I can only refund the money if she agrees to follow u to the station n both of u sign a written agreement stating clearly that it wasn’t a money laundering transaction

See I have been in this shoes before by my own is 40k, police will never listen to whatever u have to say

U go explain tire

Tell her to follow u to d station so when issues arises they will b your witness

Anything less than that u will pay d money cos u go explain tire no evidence

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by AdaAwka1: 2:23pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

The young man with her insisted I get a POS vendor so that the transaction can be made which I declined and told them that there were many around the vicinity that they can go get one if they wish to. The young man left and returned a few minutes later with one, when they arrived the woman suddenly said she was scared and needed to invite the person who referred her to our place. She called this person and
he arrived shortly, he was someone known to us in the past but not well known. She then requested that I get another POS vendor, which I suggested that they should get back the previous vendor they invited earlier. The young man went back again and returned with the vendor. The woman gave the vendor a debit card, which the vendor tried pulling the whole money at once, but it didn't go.(exceeded limit) The POS vendor then proceeded to split the money and it was successful. So she was only able to make part payment for the goods.

NONE REFUNDABLE MADAM.PLS DONT REFUND.let the goods they purchased be evidence. the woman should sell the goods to someone else and get her money back

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by abolade4uall: 2:23pm On Oct 03, 2023
[b]
Nairaland1stson:

[/b]

You are in already, kindly report your suspicious to the nearest police station, let them Document it, if they want refund, they must provide account the took money from ATM n verify the in the payment and do the refund. Don't let them rush you and make sure you call the POS vender and get the details of the ATM card the money is being taken from.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Ekugbeh(m): 2:24pm On Oct 03, 2023
😂 tell them you have sent the money to market and your goods are on the way sef. Nothing like that.
Send the money to the market to create an alibi
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Bfly: 2:28pm On Oct 03, 2023
People just like story with a bit of spices.
A single item goes for millions, someone is paying for it yet you are suspicious of the person source of money. I'm still yet to get your point.

You are probably neurotic. Even your topic affirms that. Thesame reason you are hiding the item instead of seeing it as opportunity to advertise it.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by HRHKingOliver(m): 2:29pm On Oct 03, 2023
If it's because of the buying and selling using POS, that's not a case at all. But the suspicion is solely on the refund they are now seeking.

Solution is: Involve your bank in this transaction, ensure the woman appear in person to collect the money. Both of you should go to your bank, and then a background check would be done before the money will be remitted to her..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill Woman In Her Farm In Benue State (Photos) / Lady Shares Her Robbery Experience In Lagos Traffic / SARS Used Power Bank To Charge My Phone For Check-Up Today In Delta State

Viewing this topic: marshallkowope

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.