Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,797 members, 7,827,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? (2048 Views)

Atheists, What Is Your View On Morality? / Atheists, What's Your Opinion On This One? / Ex-christians Now Atheists, What Was The Craziest Thing You Did Out Of Faith? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Maynman: 12:18am On Oct 04, 2023
DeepSight:

Seeing as you are omniscient about my entire life from birth as well as my thoughts and even education, I cant see the need for any response from my side - surely you can deduce everything I haven't even said yet, so go ahead and have the conversation by deducing my thoughts and responding to them.
Lol, have you forgotten when you were assuming I am a "spiritual being" in a cloak body as if you know my life from birth?

And I even agree with you on that, another thing you forgot is that, there is no thinker of thoughts, that's what the mind does, and you are not your mind just as you are not your cloak body.

1 Like

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by wirinet(m): 9:41am On Oct 04, 2023
DeepSight:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ucanews.com/amp/lost-in-translation-index-on-japanese-atheism-off-target/75225

Very debatable. In fact many can validly say atheism emphasizes materialism by denying the spiritual. Thus leaving the material as the be all and end all.

I read you link on Japan, it still collaborates my stance. The apparent disagreement is in the definition of atheism. Strict atheism means lack of belief in Gods, spirits, spiritualism, the unseen, etc., while liberal atheism accommodates spirits, spiritualism, the unseen and even gods, the difference being lack of a creator God or a personal God who cares about how you go about your life. Now, there are very few strict atheists, most fall within a spectrum between the two extremes. Buddhism can be said to fall into the category of liberal atheism.

When I refer to Japan as a predominantly atheist country, I am using the Nigerian criteria where anyone who does not believe in a personal God is termed an atheist. Over 99% of Nigerians believe in a person God, whereas this figure is less than 15% in Japan.

When I am talking about materialism, I mean the crave for material possessions. Theistic religions lure new members by promising all sorts of material rewards - both in this life and in the afterlife. Their priests and even their gods demand material gifts from adherents to be considered worthy of blessings and favours. This is not found in atheism.

Yes, the atheism believes all that matters is here and now and tries to make the best use of his limited time. The theist believes that they have eternity to enjoy material sensations - either spiritually or physically, and so have numerous chances to sin and repent until the last breath.

Please let me add that recorded human history is approximately 5,000 years. Within that time, theism governed people lives and behaviour for over 4,700 years. It was just about 300 years when people began to question and indeed challenge religion and reason started taking over that human development started to accelerate. As more and more people began to question the Gods, such societies began to accelerate in human and social development.

I still reiterate that highly religious societies remain unstable and underdeveloped in comparison to the highly atheistic ones.

2 Likes

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by DeepSight(m): 9:53am On Oct 04, 2023
wirinet:

I read you link on Japan, it still collaborates my stance. The apparent disagreement is in the definition of atheism. Strict atheism means lack of belief in Gods, spirits, spiritualism, the unseen, etc., while liberal atheism accommodates spirits, spiritualism, the unseen and even gods, the difference being lack of a creator God or a personal God who cares about how you go about your life. Now, there are very few strict atheists, most fall within a spectrum between the two extremes. Buddhism can be said to fall into the category of liberal atheism.

When I refer to Japan as a predominantly atheist country, I am using the Nigerian criteria where anyone who does not believe in a personal God is termed an atheist. Over 99% of Nigerians believe in a person God, whereas this figure is less than 15% in Japan.

When I am talking about materialism, I mean the crave for material possessions. Theistic religions lure new members by promising all sorts of material rewards - both in this life and in the afterlife. Their priests and even their gods demand material gifts from adherents to be considered worthy of blessings and favours. This is not found in atheism.

Yes, the atheism believes all that matters is here and now and tries to make the best use of his limited time. The theist believes that they have eternity to enjoy material sensations - either spiritually or physically, and so have numerous chances to sin and repent until the last breath.

Fair enough. Although I really think there is a cultural misunderstanding on the nature of what can be called oriental atheism. Japan's religion is Shinto and most Japanese would believe in/ practice it at some level. The fact that this may not entail subscription to the regular monotheistic God of the West does not qualify it as atheism.
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by DeepSight(m): 10:01am On Oct 04, 2023
wirinet:

Please let me add that recorded human history is approximately 5,000 years. Within that time, theism governed people lives and behaviour for over 4,700 years. It was just about 300 years when people began to question and indeed challenge religion and reason started taking over that human development started to accelerate. As more and more people began to question the Gods, such societies began to accelerate in human and social development.

The correlation you draw between questioning the existence of God and human development is questionable. It makes more sense to think that the period from the Renaissance and the enlightenment brought with it much that propelled human development and that also included the rational questioning of religion. This is different from claiming that questioning religion caused the development, as you seem to do. It would be even more apt to say that something such as liberty and democracy which came post enlightenment, played a bigger role.

I still reiterate that highly religious societies remain unstable and underdeveloped in comparison to the highly atheistic ones.

This statement has too small a sample in terms of time to be taken seriously for the simple reason that we have only had atheistic societies for less than 100 or so years in all of the recorded human history of some six thousand years.

1 Like

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by HellVictorinho6(m): 1:47pm On Oct 04, 2023
DeepSight:

The correlation you draw between questioning the existence of God and human development is questionable. It makes more sense to think that the period from the Renaissance and the enlightenment brought with it much that propelled human development and that also included the rational questioning of religion. This is different from claiming that questioning religion caused the development, as you seem to do. It would be even more apt to say that something such as liberty and democracy which came post enlightenment, played a bigger role.

This statement has too small a sample in terms of time to be taken seriously for the simple reason that we have only had atheistic societies for less than 100 or so years in all of the recorded human history of some six thousand years.

So am still not sure
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Nteogwuija(m): 12:04pm On Oct 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Again
Religion plays a role to help adherents for godly fear and bring about peace with others
For one thing, yiu have failed to address the OP
Atheists too have their own personal philosophies as well
That's why I said there'll be increase in lawlessness in the land
Nigeria is lawless already... Atheistic Nigeria will take it to the climax

If you're claiming that a Nigeria without religion would be catastrophic, you're only adding credence to the statement that the black race are subhumans.

Because even animals don't need religion to know that they ought to love and care for their offsprings.

Secular countries abound that live normal lives and practice basic humanism without waiting to be told or be threatened.

3 Likes

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Aemmyjah(m): 12:10pm On Oct 05, 2023
Nteogwuija:

If you're claiming that a Nigeria without religion would be catastrophic, you're only adding credence to the statement that the black race are subhumans.

Because even animals don't need religion to know that they ought to love and care for their offsprings.

Secular countries abound that live normal lives and practice basic humanism without waiting to be told or be threatened.

Poor comparisons and illustrations sir
Do better
Humans have need for food, animals too do
Same with water, etc

Religion solves our spiritual needs
Do animals have such

Animals act by instinct and some show parental care
Which animals show love?
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Nteogwuija(m): 12:25pm On Oct 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Poor comparisons and illustrations sir
Do better
Humans have need for food, animals too do
Same with water, etc

Religion solves our spiritual needs
Do animals have such

Animals act by instinct and some show parental care
Which animals show love?

LoL, nice how you avoided the part where I talked about secular countries. It's also funny how you separate care from love.

And please what are spiritual needs and what are the essence of spiritual needs?

And how do you know animals don't have spiritual needs?

Because you can't be associating certainty with something you're not sure of.

3 Likes

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Abigailzino(f): 12:34pm On Oct 05, 2023
I think things might get really ugly because more people who's only restriction from doing bad is because of religion not necessarily because they're good humans would outrightly join the host of others who do evil/wrong regardless of their religions.
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Aemmyjah(m): 12:36pm On Oct 05, 2023
Abigailzino:
I think things might get really ugly because more people who's only restriction from doing bad is because of religion not necessarily because they're good humans would outrightly join the host of others who do evil/wrong regardless of their religions.

When the fear of God is not there
They think there will be peace
Will they fear humans?

1 Like

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Abigailzino(f): 12:49pm On Oct 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

When the fear of God is not there
They think there will be peace
Will they fear humans?

My thoughts exactly. Religion plays a vital role in curbing the rate of evil.

Imagine how things are at present compared to when there's no fear of God anymore.
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Aemmyjah(m): 12:59pm On Oct 05, 2023
Abigailzino:

My thoughts exactly. Religion plays a vital role in curbing the rate of evil.

Imagine how things are at present compared to when there's no fear of God anymore.

There are times when we want to do or not do things but something compels us to do so for the good of others amd our conscience. That's why people say, if not for God? I for no do am OR, if not for God, I for do am
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Nteogwuija(m): 6:34pm On Oct 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

There are times when we want to do or not do things but something compels us to do so for the good of others amd our conscience. That's why people say, if not for God? I for no do am OR, if not for God, I for do am

That's the human in u, even the worst amongst us have some good in them. Your pastors have indoctrinated you into thinking that any good or humanity in you is influenced by God, and then evil is that of Satan.

It's a lazy way to live.

1 Like

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Aemmyjah(m): 6:41pm On Oct 05, 2023
Nteogwuija:

That's the human in u, even the worst amongst us have some good in them. Your pastors have indoctrinated you into thinking that any good or humanity in you is influenced by God, and then evil is that of Satan.

It's a lazy way to live.

Evil is influenced by who?
Is it a normal?
Why do we react negatively to evil?
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by HellVictorinho6(m): 8:35pm On Oct 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Is it a normal?

Is it not pathetic that u cant walk without spitting on my face or pushing me away if not 4 God or what am i hearing like this undecided
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by HellVictorinho6(m): 8:43pm On Oct 05, 2023
Nteogwuija:

It's a lazy way to live.

Unfortunately, itz so WETIN I WAN TALK NOW that i find it so hard to compute what will happen without it.

I mean itz as if we cant have a Nigeria without it.

But look at where Nigeria is going with it.

look cry
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Nteogwuija(m): 9:06pm On Oct 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Is it a normal?

There are things that motivate us to do certain things. That motivation is the influence and not any supernatural cajoling.

Someone goes to rub a bank is doing so for some material reasons. He/she knows the action is bad and damned the consequences. You don't say it was the devil that influenced that.

We react negatively to evil because we are humans by default, we have morals, and we know what's good and what's bad.

You should know that we coexisted as humans first before some of us decided to invent religion for whatever reason.

1 Like

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Aemmyjah(m): 9:07pm On Oct 05, 2023
Nteogwuija:

There are things that motivate us to do certain things. That motivation is the influence and not any supernatural cajoling.

Someone goes to rub a bank is doing so for some material reasons. He/she knows the action is bad and damned the consequences. You don't say it was the devil that influenced that.

We react negatively to evil because we are humans by default, we have morals, and we know what's good and what's bad.

You should know that we coexisted as humans first before some of us decided to invent religion for whatever reason.

Where does our sense of morals and altruism come from?
By accident?

1 Like

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by cornelboy(f): 10:23pm On Oct 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

By accident?
Hahahaha. I like your question.
If it's by accident or chance, then why don't we have animals or other beings like humans that have the same qualities and abilities like us? cheesy cheesy
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Aemmyjah(m): 10:26pm On Oct 05, 2023
cornelboy:

Hahahaha. I like your question.
If it's by accident or chance, then why don't we have animals or other beings like humans that have the same qualities and abilities like us? cheesy cheesy

Especially as they say we evolved from them
They suppose get morals pass us
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by cornelboy(f): 10:32pm On Oct 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Especially as they say we evolved from them
They suppose get morals pass us
Ehn na. Fish and ape suppose get morals, intelligence and technology pass us. If not pass us at least like us cheesy cheesy

I'll never be dumb in this life
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Aemmyjah(m): 10:40pm On Oct 05, 2023
cornelboy:

Ehn na. Fish and ape suppose get morals, intelligence and technology pass us. If not pass us at least like us cheesy cheesy

Atheists are foolish people
When interacting with other religions, they seem to be smart until dem jam JWs
They are in pains

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Botragelad: 2:49am On Oct 06, 2023
Aemmyjah:

They are in pains
You ran away from our conversation, are you that scared? Lol
Why are you here insulting atheist when you can't even refute my statement. Be a man!

3 Likes

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Nteogwuija(m): 7:46am On Oct 06, 2023
Aemmyjah:

By accident?

The same way you don't need to be told to eat food when you're hungry. Or perhaps it's the holy spirit or whatever divination that directs us to cry whenever we feel pain.

3 Likes

Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Nteogwuija(m): 7:50am On Oct 06, 2023
Aemmyjah:

They are in pains

You're a wise man, that's y u think anyone who doesn't subscribe to religion is an atheist.
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by HellVictorinho6(m): 7:59am On Oct 06, 2023
Nteogwuija:

You're a wise man, that's y u think anyone who doesn't subscribe to religion is an atheist.

Which god is urs then?

Do u revere the galaxies like einstein?
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by tctrills: 9:52am On Oct 06, 2023
Mhizzard:
There will be lack of thinking before one's take ungodly action
It's not as if Nigerians are not already taking ungodly actions.
Even the most religious Nigerian is open to give and take bribes.
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Mhizzard(m): 10:20am On Oct 06, 2023
tctrills:
It's not as if Nigerians are not already taking ungodly actions. Even the most religious Nigerian is open to give and take bribes.
that is the world we found ourselves
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Aemmyjah(m): 11:16am On Oct 06, 2023
Nteogwuija:

The same way you don't need to be told to eat food when you're hungry. Or perhaps it's the holy spirit or whatever divination that directs us to cry whenever we feel pain.

You've not answered my question sir/ma
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by Aemmyjah(m): 6:18am On Oct 07, 2023
cornelboy:

Send an email to me
incredible1emg@gmail.com
Re: If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? by cornelboy(f): 12:23pm On Oct 07, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Send an email to me
incredible1emg@gmail.com
Sent my WhatsApp number

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Justice Of God Of The Bible / Wind And Fire Camp Meeting / Jesus Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.