Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Pain In The Name Of Beauty - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Pain In The Name Of Beauty (8259 Views)

What Women Pass Through All Because Of Beauty (photo) / Evolution of Beauty Pageants in Nigeria [photos] / Regina Askia On The Cover Of Beauty Overdose Magazine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Freesia(f): 9:03pm On Oct 21, 2011
I was recently thinking to my self about how ladies go through a whole lot in the name of beauty,and I'm not saying this because of my last situation when I had my braids done, the things were so tight that I could hardly feel my forehead  smiley

I mean from a tender age we're having stuff done to our bodies,did I hear somebody say ear piercing,some of us might have been too young to remember but when I got my second piercing on my ears at about 20 years lipsrsealed

As we grow older we're trying to grow hair on our heads but trying very hard to get rid of the hair in other places.My first eyebrow threading experience yeeeeeeee !! then I attempted waxing the underarms and the legs,Kai !! I don't know who send me there  sef ??  not sure which one is more painful??,threading or waxing  undecided

After many years of contemplating,I recently had the courage to go for a Brazilian,I called this place and booked an appointment.I had only been at this beauty parlour for about 5 minutes when I heard this loud yell or was it a scream from  a lady in one of the rooms  I looked at my surroundings to confirm I was not in the hospital emergency and  I decided to slowly walk out!! fear dey catch me o

Anyway ladies, let's have a laugh and share our funny/self inflicted beauty experiences,those of you who have had those Asians torturing your body in the name of  Thai massage or even had the fish chiropody done,let's hear you too
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by denzel2009: 9:09pm On Oct 21, 2011
We can conclude that you are a walking epping forest!
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Freesia(f): 10:06pm On Oct 21, 2011
^^^ why lol
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by denzel2009: 10:11pm On Oct 21, 2011
Freesia:

^^^ why lol
You haven't waxed cheesy
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Freesia(f): 10:48pm On Oct 21, 2011
^^^ There are other pain free methods of getting rid of unwanted hair,I just thought twice about needing proper hair removal, like getting rid of my hair follicle for a longer period of time  which comes at a price !! Pain  smiley
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by AmakaG29(f): 1:11am On Oct 22, 2011
Things I've done: waxing, relaxing, braiding, weaving, high heels, pants that never fit

Things I won't do: piercing, tattooing, lazer treatment, plastic surgery, bone removal of any kind

Things I current do: low tension braiding, no relaxers, shaving, eyebrow threading (still hurts), lower heels

Beauty can be painful and expensive, but I think we are collectively moving towards safer and better options. Natural looking beauty is all the rage, so women have more minimalist options (this does not mean to let all of your regimens go). Yay for ladies!
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Relax101(m): 1:28am On Oct 22, 2011
Amaka G29:

Things I've done: waxing, relaxing, braiding, weaving, high heels, pants that never fit

Things I won't do: piercing, tattooing, lazer treatment, plastic surgery, bone removal of any kind

Things I current do: low tension braiding, no relaxers, shaving, eyebrow threading (still hurts), lower heels

Beauty can be painful and expensive, but I think we are collectively moving towards safer and better options. Natural looking beauty is all the rage, so women have more minimalist options (this does not mean to let all of your regimens go). Yay for ladies!

Is that your mom in your profile pix?
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by AmakaG29(f): 6:31am On Oct 22, 2011
Lol, is that your dad in your pic?
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Relax101(m): 7:55am On Oct 22, 2011
Amaka G29:

Lol, is that your dad in your pic?

Nah, Thats a movie.
I asked cos I imagine how you gonna look like.
That pose is worth 100 million dollars. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by iice(f): 10:48am On Oct 22, 2011
Sitting for hours till my bum is numb just to do my hair. But for me it's worth it because my purpose is not to have stress over combing or styling it for months.

Heels grin My most terrible experience had to do with my soles getting swollen.

I have a high resistance to pain. So there are somethings i don't bat an eyelash to doing.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Progreen: 10:52am On Oct 22, 2011
beauty can be painful sometimes but we just have to do it.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Blazing88(f): 10:58am On Oct 22, 2011
it sure isnt easy been a lady.
I remember when i was growing my hair in secondary school, i had to do rubber thread.(pulling of the hair,dragging n all)
kai! Torture.
waxing? Yikeees!!! dont even wanna talk abt dat
braiding? Jeez. A killa! Straight headacne for hourssss.
Ear piercing? Goosebumps @ d tot of it.
Killa heels? Well diz i can work wif.
Funny but i cant get tired of killa heels.

smiley
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Misscherrybaby(f): 11:45am On Oct 22, 2011
I remember back wen i was in JS 2, then my hair was still natural and very strong. Nobody wanted to make my hair, it was so tough combs wud break in it. So then, i only could plait thread. And even at that, i'll go to d woman making my hair, sit down b4 we start loosing d old hair i'm carrying. D point being, minimal breeze shud touch my hair, or hmmmm, LOL.

Well, one fateful day, my senior sis told me to go to her friends place to make my hair. Her idoma friend is an expert in making hair, especially 'rubber thread'.

That's how i and our last born trekked all d way to their house. As soon as she held d first one, i realised i cudn't bend my head forward again. By d time she finished d hair, i was dragging my neck like tolotolo.

Suffice it to say that i and my little were walking home crying. She was crying becos i was crying. Lol. When we got home, my dad (of blessed memory) alarmed asked wat was going on. I now pointed to my hair, dt it was seriously hurting me. My dad ordered me to loose everything, him and my lil sis helping me. My scalp was hurting so bad dt i cudnt comb d hair afterwards, neither cud i make another one. I had to skip school 4 lyk 3 days, cos my scalp was still tender, hair uncombed and afro. Hehehe.

So dt's my pain for beauty story!
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by ikechukz(m): 11:55am On Oct 22, 2011
all these because of guys.thank God i'm not a girl.highest i can do is cut my hair with 200 bucks.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by dammizz(m): 1:13pm On Oct 22, 2011
It tickles my fancy seeing stilletos on ladies, wish they'll make some heel for men someday
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Princek12(m): 1:19pm On Oct 22, 2011
I commend you ladies for undergoing all these pains all in the name of beauty. We guys must be the shiznit for you ladies to go through all those pains for us. Thank you. I, on behalf of men, appreciate it.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 22, 2011
ikechukz:

all these because of guys.thank God i'm not a girl.highest i can do is cut my hair with 200 bucks.
Get it right, we do it for ourselves, and then other females. Women luv to compete with each other. Then lastly, guys. lol

If you have noticed, girls do not usually take compliments that guys give them to heart. But when their fellow female compliment them, they feel really special.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by AmakaG29(f): 1:23pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ Relax: I suppose if you would like to converse beyond the pain of beauty then we should take it elsewhere out of the respect of the purpose of the OP.

Back to the topic at hand: I was a tender-headed child, so I hid the combs and brushes under the mattresses where my mom and aunties couldn't find them. "Amaka. . .Where's the combs? I know you hid them"

I never got free of painful hair experiences until I started doing my own hair, then I began to understand how it all works.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Princek12(m): 1:33pm On Oct 22, 2011
rokiatu:

Get it right, we do it for ourselves, and then other females. Women luv to compete with each other. Then lastly, guys. lol

If you have noticed, girls do not usually take compliments that guys give them to heart. But when their fellow female compliment them, they feel really special.

whatever. so you show your nyansh and smell good and wax your eye brows primarily for other girls. you be lesbo?
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by ARareGem(f): 1:39pm On Oct 22, 2011
Me and stiletto heels do not agree oh. Comfort is important for my feet. As for my head, that's another story entirely. Braids have definately dealt with mi poor scalp sha. As I write, I can almost feel that pain. But thanks to Mama for my natural long hair, I don't have to stress myself with braids or weave on attachments most times.

But relaxing my natural hair nko? Sitting under that 'oven' when I want to roll the hair nko?  Chai! I almost envy those on low cuts. But no qualms, it's all part of being a girl.

Undoubtedly, the compliments soothe the pain. wink
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 22, 2011
Princek12:

whatever. so you show your nyansh and smell good and wax your eye brows primarily for other girls. you be lesbo?
For myself first and foremost.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Princek12(m): 2:02pm On Oct 22, 2011
rokiatu:

For myself first and foremost.

no problem with doing it for yourself, first.  After yourself, so na girls come be next, and guys come be last. Na wa oooo.

My point is that it does not make you less of a woman if you publicly admit that, after you, you look good for guys/your man/husband. Quit worrying about pleasing all these females who will not give a damn about you once they find a man.  Look good for you first and, next, your man or your husband.  I was just honing on your point that guys are on the bottom of your list of the persons you look good for.

It just sounds lesbianish to me. that's all.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by AmakaG29(f): 2:08pm On Oct 22, 2011
It's a competition. We don't want to attract other women, we want to out do them (sometimes). Yes, the attention of men is nice, bu my standards would be so much lower if I based on what guys really care about. I've had men try me while I was in sweats, no make up, plain hair, walking to the market . . . Some women like dressing up: the colors, the patterns, the "Ahh" moments when every person in the room looks at you with wonder.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 22, 2011
Amaka G29:

It's a competition. We don't want to attract other women, we want to out do them (sometimes). Yes, the attention of men is nice, bu my standards would be so much lower if I based on what guys really care about. I've had men try me while I was in sweats, no make up, plain hair, walking to the market . . . Some women like dressing up: the colors, the patterns, the "Ahh" moments when every person in the room looks at you with wonder.
Thank you.

That is where I am coming from.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by HotieTima(f): 3:13pm On Oct 22, 2011
well i do what i do to make me happy

but the pain  it"s only there for a short amount of time but the smile on our face last longer kiss kiss kiss

so who care what the boys think< if any man think we do all this to make them happy ur dead wrong
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Relax101(m): 3:38pm On Oct 22, 2011
Amaka G29:

@ Relax: I suppose if you would like to converse beyond the pain of beauty then we should take it elsewhere out of the respect of the purpose of the OP.

Back to the topic at hand: I was a tender-headed child, so I hid the combs and brushes under the mattresses where my mom and aunties couldn't find them. "Amaka. . .Where's the combs? I know you hid them"

I never got free of painful hair experiences until I started doing my own hair, then I began to understand how it all works.

Alright we can converse beyond the pain of beauty. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Can I have your email address?
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by jawjaw1: 3:51pm On Oct 22, 2011
i remember my elder sister's hair been prepared for christmas when we were little. Goodness me, the rubbed oil on her hair while this long local metal comb was being heated. You can imagine the screams when the comb finally had to go thru the hair. All I could do then was to stare in complete amazement. It was sheer horror while it lasted.
Whenever I remember it, I just thank God I was born a guy. Woman wahala too much I tell you (hopes he doesnt sound like a chauvinist)
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by chinedumo(m): 4:16pm On Oct 22, 2011
Freesia:

I was recently thinking to my self about how ladies go through a whole lot in the name of beauty,and I'm not saying this because of my last situation when I had my braids done, the things were so tight that I could hardly feel my forehead  smiley

I mean from a tender age we're having stuff done to our bodies,did I hear somebody say ear piercing,some of us might have been too young to remember but when I got my second piercing on my ears at about 20 years lipsrsealed

As we grow older we're trying to grow hair on our heads but trying very hard to get rid of the hair in other places.My first eyebrow threading experience yeeeeeeee !! then I attempted waxing the underarms and the legs,Kai !! I don't know who send me there  sef ??  not sure which one is more painful??,threading or waxing  undecided

After many years of contemplating,I recently had the courage to go for a Brazilian,I called this place and booked an appointment.I had only been at this beauty parlour for about 5 minutes when I heard this loud yell or was it a scream from  a lady in one of the rooms  I looked at my surroundings to confirm I was not in the hospital emergency and  I decided to slowly walk out!! fear dey catch me o

Anyway ladies, let's have a laugh and share our funny/self inflicted beauty experiences,those of you who have had those Asians torturing your body in the name of  Thai massage or even had the fish chiropody done,let's hear you too

finally a thinking lady

if u are christian

add this to ur train of thoughts

what would God be thinking about all these we do to our body

especially when we cant sacrifice as much as this for him
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by chinedumo(m): 4:22pm On Oct 22, 2011
I will like to know something from the ladies

all this pain and patience

when it pays off by getting the guys

do u ladies believe it is worth it?
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Outstrip(f): 4:33pm On Oct 22, 2011
I wore this pair of almost 6 inch heels the other day. I am not sure what possesed me since I knew that I would bein and out of the car all day. I figured with the 2 inch platform in front I will be fine. Chai. I suffered that day o. It was worthit sha. I had a belt that matched it perfectly and I said nothing will stop me from making shakara today
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by iice(f): 4:36pm On Oct 22, 2011
Outstrip:

I wore this pair of almost 6 inch heels the other day. I am not sure what possesed me since I knew that I would bein and out of the car all day. I figured with the 2 inch platform in front I will be fine. Chai. I suffered that day o. It was worthit sha. I had a belt that matched it perfectly and I said nothing will stop me from making shakara today
grin
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Princek12(m): 7:54pm On Oct 22, 2011
Amaka G29:

Unlike, for example, Black American or Brazilian girls, no wonder many (if not most) Naija girls lack sex appeal when they dress. I guess you all are thinking about impressing or competing with other women when you dress up. If you had men in mind, maybe many of y'all will know how to dress sexy. An average Black American girl knows how to wear them "get em girl" type dresses. Naija girl will be wearing kwashiokor dresses trying to impress her girl, as if it is girls that will sleep with you.

As to those men who are trying to holla at you while you are not all dressed up and with your plain harir, maybe they are desperados or maybe you are still looking good despite not all that make up and with your plain hair. It goes to show that all that weave and Indonesian hair is unnecessary sometimes. Anyway, you all Naija girls are living in a whole nother planet.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aso Ebi Styles 2019 - Latest Aso Ebi Picture Design In Nigeria / Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" / 10 Latest And Stunning Ghana Braids With Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.