Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,630 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Pain In The Name Of Beauty - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Pain In The Name Of Beauty (8258 Views)

What Women Pass Through All Because Of Beauty (photo) / Evolution of Beauty Pageants in Nigeria [photos] / Regina Askia On The Cover Of Beauty Overdose Magazine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Dextra(f): 8:18pm On Oct 22, 2011
ok
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by weaseloo: 8:42pm On Oct 22, 2011
I am not a weave on person at all. My last fixing was hell, could not stand it. I felt pain in the spots where the thread held the weave unto my hair. I also hate it when I can see parts of my hair sticking out where they should be hidden. I find it really untidy.

I do braid like 5-6 times a year. I prefer my natural hair any time any day. I cannot stand being under the drier as well, blow drying all the way. Thank God for wigs!

Even the 6-inches heels, not for me, comfort is key!
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by ArQueBusieR(m): 8:46pm On Oct 22, 2011
Awwww cry
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Outstrip(f): 9:21pm On Oct 22, 2011
weaseloo:

I am not a weave on person at all. My last fixing was hell, could not stand it. I felt pain in the spots where the thread held the weave unto my hair. I also hate it when I can see parts of my hair sticking out where they should be hidden. I find it really untidy.

I do braid like 5-6 times a year. I prefer my natural hair any time any day. I cannot stand being under the drier as well, blow drying all the way. Thank God for wigs!

Even the 6-inches heels, not for me, comfort is key!

Stop letting africans do your hair then you will not have bad hair.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Freesia(f): 10:52pm On Oct 22, 2011
Princek12:

Unlike, for example, Black American or Brazilian girls, no wonder many (if not most) Naija girls lack sex appeal when they dress. I guess you all are thinking about impressing or competing with other women when you dress up. If you had men in mind, maybe many of y'all will know how to dress sexy. An average Black American girl knows how to wear them "get em girl" type dresses. Naija girl will be wearing kwashiokor dresses trying to impress her girl, as if it is girls that will sleep with you.

As to those men who are trying to holla at you while you are not all dressed up and with your plain harir, maybe they are desperados or maybe you are still looking good despite not all that make up and with your plain hair. It goes to show that all that weave and Indonesian hair is unnecessary sometimes. Anyway, you all Naija girls are living in a whole nother planet.

Princek12 Please keep it mellow we just want to talk about what we do in the name of beauty  smiley Come on tell us a little bit of what you have seen your sisters or female cousins do to look pweety

Outstrip:

I wore this pair of almost 6 inch heels the other day. I am not sure what possesed me since I knew that I would bein and out of the car all day. I figured with the 2 inch platform in front I will be fine. Chai. I suffered that day o. It was worthit sha. I had a belt that matched it perfectly and I said nothing will stop me from making shakara today

I know that feeling Sis,Lawd knows what I was thinking with my 5 inch heels walking all over the place the other day!! 6 inch heels another story once in a blue moon I wear them!! My fav line  when wearing them is me telling whomever I'm with " Can I borrow your hand I need support"

Miss_cherrybaby:

I remember back wen i was in JS 2, then my hair was still natural and very strong. Nobody wanted to make my hair, it was so tough combs wud break in it. So then, i only could plait thread. And even at that, i'll go to d woman making my hair, sit down b4 we start loosing d old hair i'm carrying. D point being, minimal breeze shud touch my hair, or hmmmm,  LOL.

Well, one fateful day, my senior sis told me to go to her friends place to make my hair. Her idoma friend is an expert in making hair, especially 'rubber thread'.

That's how i and our last born trekked all d way to their house. As soon as she held d first one, i realised i cudn't bend my head forward again. By d time she finished d hair, i was dragging my neck like tolotolo.

Suffice it to say that i and my little were walking home crying. She was crying becos i was crying. Lol. When we got home, my dad (of blessed memory) alarmed asked wat was going on. I now pointed to my hair, dt it was seriously hurting me. My dad ordered me to loose everything, him and my lil sis helping me. My scalp was hurting so bad dt i cudnt comb d hair afterwards, neither cud i make another one. I had to skip school 4 lyk 3 days, cos my scalp was still tender, hair uncombed and afro. Hehehe. 

So dt's my pain for beauty story!

Awwww Cherry baby I can only imagine what was going through your daddy's head when he realised you were crying because of rubber thread and I thought I have tough hair!!
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by AmakaG29(f): 12:14am On Oct 23, 2011
@ Prince: Those black girls who wear "go get'ems" get gotten and played by men all the time. It may be appealing but the price they pay is a lot of vulgarity and disrespect. I'd rather be pretty, presentable, and tasteful. Save the sexy for my future husband, thank you.

Another pain: Squeezing in to things that don't fit, but thy look so nice. I've had my share of dressing room blues.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Nobody: 2:31am On Oct 23, 2011
Relax101:

Is that your mom in your profile pix?
I know right? After reading her comment, my first reaction was to look at her default picture, lol.

Just as the adage goes, "Nothing good comes easy.", the same applies to beauty. One must endure o, to fine no easy. I have done braiding countless times. It is needless to say it hurts as most people here have made that fact clear. But recently, I had yarn braids done. Man, that thing na hell on top of person head. I was on the verge of tears when she was doing it. The braids felt like rubber tied to my hair X 10. The good thing is I've carrying it for close to 3 months now and it still looks good.
I'm a die hard fan of boot heels (4 inches and up) but that thing hard o. To stand and walk on that thing for more than one hour can sometimes leave me almost paralyzed. I always make sure to have a pair of flats with me each time I'm on them.
Or losing almost half of shoulder length hair in the name of perming a year ago. I went strictly natural afterwards.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by BABE3: 2:38am On Oct 23, 2011
My ultimate pain inflicting method is wearing 6 inches (and above) heels, and acting like it's "nothing".
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by onyebaba(m): 10:16am On Oct 23, 2011
Look @ dis pics, is dis beauty or wat?

Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by moHot(f): 12:59pm On Oct 23, 2011
aww, thank God am not the only one grin grin , i used to think am the only that wear the 6 inch killer/painful heel and still pretend evrything is cool and calm, lol
i remember vividly when i was in primary school, i used to have this very thick hair, oh i used to pity my mama who have always dreamt of giving me the best of hairstyles being the only girl, but my soft scalp/very thick hair will not allow me the luxury; despite the application of different relaxers,whenever i visit the salon i will tell my mum to let me press the hand of the stylist because i used to think its the hardness of there hand that causes me so much pain whenever am making my hair(now i know better). I was set for school tha day and i was finding it hard to comb my olumorock hair as usual then i sighted the hair cream being a little girl i thought it will soften my hair then i started applying it till, i almost finished the whole cream, then my mum came in and saw my hair all whitish,glossy/ororoish with hair cream OMG! i couldnt describe the look on her face. The best decision was made i barbed my hair and save my self every weekend cry ,cry/stretching my neck like ogongo but then revealing my ogo scopido head grin grin, mehn tis not easy being a girl o
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Relax101(m): 1:36pm On Oct 23, 2011
Amaka G29:

@ Prince: Those black girls who wear "go get'ems" get gotten and played by men all the time. It may be appealing but the price they pay is a lot of vulgarity and disrespect. I'd rather be pretty, presentable, and tasteful. Save the sexy for my future husband, thank you.

Another pain: Squeezing in to things that don't fit, but thy look so nice. I've had my share of dressing room blues.

Hey Amaka G29, did u see my last msg?
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by zignor(m): 1:42pm On Oct 23, 2011
I heard this loud yell or was it a scream from a lady in one of the rooms

lol . . .are you sure they are not having sex there cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Freesia(f): 3:01pm On Oct 23, 2011
zignor:

lol . . .are you sure they are not Being Intimate there cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin    

Zignor don't be naughty you just had to think in that direction eh? I believe I can always differentiate the cries of pain and pleasure and that was a woman who was in pain.
Imagine someone plucking your hairs from their roots! try with one or two hairs on your beard/sideburns and then imagine hot wax
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Outstrip(f): 7:50pm On Oct 23, 2011
LOL. I remember the first time I got waxed down there. I was thinking she will kill me today. Imagine yanking off a large section of hair from your vagina. She told me not to worry that after a few strips that the nerves will be dead and I will not feel it anymore. As if that would make it less painful. My dear each and every time I go it still feels like cruel and unusual punishment. On top of it I am so used to it now that I just spread my legs and let the woman go to work killing my nerves down there. All in the name of beauty.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by AmakaG29(f): 8:11pm On Oct 23, 2011
Hey relax,

Send me your e-mail. How unlady-like to post my email on Nairaland,

kiss
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Freesia(f): 9:11pm On Oct 23, 2011
Outstrip:

LOL. I remember the first time I got waxed down there.She told me not to worry that after a few strips that the nerves will be dead and I will not feel it anymore. As if that would make it less painful. My dear each and every time I go it still feels like cruel and unusual punishment.

Rotfl,these beauticians and their persuasive talk, every time I get the underarms done it feels like the very first time!
It must be an extremely painful process for those men who wax their chests especially if they have a big broad chest  Arrrrrrghhhh !!
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Relax101(m): 10:00pm On Oct 23, 2011
Amaka G29:

Hey relax,

Send me your e-mail. How unlady-like to post my email on Nairaland,

kiss

Check my profile. Send me a mail.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by bonysmile: 9:38am On Oct 24, 2011
Hmm, But u still won't give up, will u? lipsrsealed
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by splitnaija(m): 10:48am On Oct 24, 2011
High-heels, painful braids, contact lens, skin toning, ear-piercing, etc, etc.

If you're not naturally endowed as in being bursty and big-a$$ed, you're just wasting your time with guys like me -no matter the pains undecided
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by blabber15(f): 12:06pm On Oct 24, 2011
I remember the last time i relaxed my hair, my hair is pretty stubborn and my scalp is soft, i bought the SUPER Version of my relaxer. Needless to say lile 5 minutes after my hairdresser started applying the relaxer my scalp started to hurt. I decided to wait it out, like 15 minutes later i washed it out and my hair was stuck to my scalp (burnt) i could'nt go out for a week! I have not relaxed my hair since then, i'm thinking of growing dredlocks
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 24, 2011
LOLs at all the experience posted
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by chinedumo(m): 2:29pm On Oct 24, 2011
Princek12:

Unlike, for example, Black American or Brazilian girls, no wonder many (if not most) Naija girls lack sex appeal when they dress. I guess you all are thinking about impressing or competing with other women when you dress up. If you had men in mind, maybe many of y'all will know how to dress sexy. An average Black American girl knows how to wear them "get em girl" type dresses. Naija girl will be wearing kwashiokor dresses trying to impress her girl, as if it is girls that will sleep with you.

As to those men who are trying to holla at you while you are not all dressed up and with your plain harir, maybe they are desperados or maybe you are still looking good despite not all that make up and with your plain hair. It goes to show that all that weave and Indonesian hair is unnecessary sometimes. Anyway, you all Naija girls are living in a whole nother planet.

what a word
a point though
it explains the madness!

I more reason to ignore most women
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by Lynaminaj(f): 10:31pm On Oct 24, 2011
Gurlz! We dey suffer o, Al n d name of fashion.
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by HISchild: 7:28am On Oct 26, 2011
"Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised." - Prob 31:30
Re: Pain In The Name Of Beauty by godash(m): 6:01pm On Dec 14, 2011

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aso Ebi Styles 2019 - Latest Aso Ebi Picture Design In Nigeria / Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" / 10 Latest And Stunning Ghana Braids With Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.