Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,992 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. (30216 Views)

Vegas Is Open! Cypaid Traveled To las Vegas Despite Covid 19 Restrictions / My Two Sons Traveled To Europe By Desert - Nigerian Benin Woman / How People Traveled To Onitsha Before The Construction Of The Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by BornAgainCow: 7:29pm On Oct 10, 2023
BurntDodo:

This your post dey smell of cow poo, bribery and corruption, Mr Born Again Cow.

Read into it what you like. I don’t care. I’m just telling you the hard truth. You can choose to go be a slave in a foreign land that will never appreciate you and treat you as second class human or be a king in your own land and play the game as it is here. The choice is yours.
Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by IbeOkehie: 7:30pm On Oct 10, 2023
obaidan:

Well High taxes is not a problem at all because the income is high too. And ofcourse the high taxes benefits the payer of the tax....so it is not even an issue at all.

Generally speaking you're right but it's becoming a very big issue with negative impacts in the USA. Anyone interested should go check out what's happening in Illinois and NY State for instance. There's no question the country is heading in the direction of Nigeria if there's no radical changes in the near future.

Good Luck to USA grin

2 Likes

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by K33fK0zaRt: 7:33pm On Oct 10, 2023
Oga scammer. Well done oh. Waves
Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by Swiftgrp: 7:39pm On Oct 10, 2023
Meddymeddy:
I have a question I want to ask.

When I was born in Nigeria, I met the economy at a certain stage, and what I observed is that when the economy rises, it never drops. I've heard stories from the past about how the economy was. Going back to the 1960s and 1970s, the standard of living was very low, to the extent that a double salary was paid during the Gowon regime.

Those who have traveled out of Nigeria to countries that have a better economy than Nigeria How does it feel, and how did it impact your life?
To put this in better context.

There was oil boom in Nigeria back in the 1970s till 1981 which created a false image of grand prosperity.

There was also a lot of importation of finished goods from Europe and America being sold at trendy
department stores such as the iconic Kingsway Stores, Leventis, UTC, and the local production of some items in the automobile and textile industries.

The increase in interest rates by the
U.S. to curb domestic hyperinflation and strenghten the USD in the early 1980s led to a destabilisation of the global economy just like what happened in 2022 when the
U.S. Feds increased interest rates back-to-back and Sri Lanka and many developing countries defaulted in their debt payments to international finance organizations, leading to a weakening of local currencies and spikes in domestic hyperinflation mass protests by citizens and more.

Point is:
A lot of economic headwinds affecting many countries globally
are caused by localised
maladministration and unforseen international economic contagions or global recessions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by mercysamuelson(m): 7:45pm On Oct 10, 2023
Bakrabas

It's well ....

I didn't know the period that op was talking about but from what I heard from my parents and lecturers, Nigeria was once a great nation.

Bad leaders, insecurity and poor economy are the major problems.

I've $40 dollars now I don't want to spend it cheaply because it's almost ₦40,000 to tell you how poor is our economy. Who knows maybe be in few weeks to come $40 might be #80,000 I didn't pray for such though.

Na prayers una need for Naija o. That $40 no be anything for some countries. My lift ride for 13 mins alone back home from work here is $20-$25. May God help us all o.

1 Like

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by oakenfold: 7:45pm On Oct 10, 2023
clinician2x:

You are very stupld.

It's one thing to be a catholic and another to be pentecostal type of Christian.

The ones that practiced catholicism right from the time of Galileo Galilee in Italy Europe, did thry not build their society with science? Fo0l. Did you see where they contributed money to litter everywhere with nonsense churches them stay in there to pray for jobs like poor people do in Nigeria?

I posted the exchange rate between Nigeria and Venezuela against the dollar, while there own is 2 figures, our own is 4 figures instead of this anlmal to start by telling me which economy should be more stable using that metric you're talking nonsense.

You black monkeys are used to suffering that is why Nigeria has not bcom like Venezuela or sri Lanka. Right from the days of slavery for 400 years, the genes of surviving hardship developed in ur ancestors was passed down to you.

While you're observing austerity measures with increased pump price, stagnant low wages and severe inflation, 2m naira was given to lawmakers for their holiday in addition to their bogus salaries and allowances and everybody is calm because just like their ancestors, they can survive anything and they can survive hardship till death.

Venezuela's currency? They keep releasing new currencies to reduce the zeros. Abeg. My guy, you are still digging yourself into more embarrassment.
Sri Lanka? What kind of stupidity is this.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by Whytelyon(m): 7:47pm On Oct 10, 2023
Tayorshd87:
Are you directly telling us that even Tinubu increasing minimum won't still solve the problems of the masses ??

In what way? Do you understand the power of inflation?
Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by Hpesoj: 7:48pm On Oct 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Abeg go do your own research to learn facts from fiction in this case. lipsrsealed

Learn to read between the lines.

1 Like

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by xukwaa: 7:54pm On Oct 10, 2023
Nigeria is a big village.
Just like the way you visit your village and return to Lagos. There are places that are heaven on earth in this world!
Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by clinician2x: 7:55pm On Oct 10, 2023
oakenfold:

Venezuela's currency? They keep release new currency to reduce the zeros. Abeg. My guy, you are still digging yourself into more embarrassment.
Sri Lanka? What kind of stupidity is this.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

This fuul can't even read. Pls dear ldiot. My comment recognizes sri Lanka, Nigeria and Venezuela as economically failed states. However, While Nigeria is yet to erupt into a full scare insurrection and chaos is because Nigerians have a we go survive till death mentality which obviously lacks in the other two states, hence they've taken laws into their own hands.

Pls dear idi0t, read to understand, line by line, not to engage. Stop embarrassing yourself
Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by Kobojunkie: 7:55pm On Oct 10, 2023
Hpesoj:
■ Learn to read between the lines.
I don't want to do that cause I fear I will end up like the average Nigerian, always chasing delusions. undecided
Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by Bakrabas: 8:03pm On Oct 10, 2023
mercysamuelson:
Bakrabas

It's well ....

I didn't know the period that op was talking about but from what I heard from my parents and lecturers, Nigeria was once a great nation.

I've $40 dollars now I don't want to spend it cheaply because it's almost ₦40,000 to tell you how poor is our economy. Who knows maybe be in few weeks to come $40 might be #80,000 I didn't pray for such though.

Na prayers una need for Naija o. That $40 no be anything for some countries. My lift ride for 13 mins alone back home from work here is $20-$25. May God help us all o.

Amiin...may God bless your hustling ooo

I do care for it o if you can send to me $50 as you can see how I've been pampering $40 since

mercysamuelson

3 Likes

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by nedekid: 8:12pm On Oct 10, 2023
Bakrabas:
It's well ....

I've $40 dollars now I don't want to spend it cheaply because it's almost ₦40,000 to tell you how poor is our economy. Who knows maybe be in few weeks to come $40 might be #80,000 I didn't pray for such though
This country was good. Very good compared to now. In the 60, 70s lots of people that went to school abroad returned, had good jobs. That is why you see alot of people born in the 70 having foreign passports. When the country started nose diving in the 90s, those kids relocated.
We even thought it was bad during Obj til Jonathans time, but you know what? The 16years PDP was there, dollar and pounds remained relatively stable! It was between 100 to 140 to the $. 180 to 240 to 1 pound. It was only during the election period $ went up to 180 due to politicians stacking it if which it wound have returned to the former range.
This 9 years of apc, the destroyers has completely devastated Nigerians and their purchasing power. They have turned Nigerians to paupers!
About 3 years or so ago, I complained of how naira was loosing value. I had 2m in an account I had not touched for years, infact it was dormant. I decided to change it and put in my dom account. That 2m got me $3k+2k pounds. I was upset at how naira had spoilt, not knowing it Will get worse.
Today, that same 2m can only barely get me $2k! No be juju be that?
One will assume when people hear "apc" or "T" not even "nubu", they will pick race. For where? For tribal or party reasons they still worship who had impoverished them even defend their offsprings flying presidential private jets to play polo or buying $11m homes.

5 Likes

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by tnerro1(m): 8:33pm On Oct 10, 2023
When I traveled, I saw shopkeepers locking their glass doors without any iron protection, I just shake my head and say Nigeria still has a long way to go😔😔😔

4 Likes

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by IbeOkehie: 8:51pm On Oct 10, 2023
tnerro1:
When I traveled, I saw shopkeepers locking their glass doors without any iron protection, I just shake my head and say Nigeria still has a long way to go😔😔😔

Unfortunately the USA is getting that way. These days a certain kind of people can freely walk into stores, grab whatever they want and walkout without paying. And the government actually refuses to prosecute them. Look up what's going on in California, Illinois and Washington State.

BornAgainCow:

Read into it what you like. I don’t care. I’m just telling you the hard truth. You can choose to go be a slave in a foreign land that will never appreciate you and treat you as second class human or be a king in your own land and play the game as it is here. The choice is yours.

I've lived in the USA for over 30 years. I even moved back to Nigeria for a short while. I now know I have more rights and privileges and also duties as a USA citizen than I will ever have in Nigeria.

For an honest person with no connections, the USA is far and away better than Nigeria in all respects EXCEPT the availability of cheap sex.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by Bakrabas: 8:59pm On Oct 10, 2023
nedekid:

This country was good. Very good compared to now. In the 60, 70s lots of people that went to school abroad returned, had good jobs. That is why you see alot of people born in the 70 having foreign passports. When the country started nose diving in the 90s, those kids relocated.
We even thought it was bad during Obj til Jonathans time, but you know what? The 16years PDP was there, dollar and pounds remained relatively stable! It was between 100 to 140 to the $. 180 to 240 to 1 pound. It was only during the election period $ went up to 180 due to politicians stacking it if which it wound have returned to the former range.
This 9 years of apc, the destroyers has completely devastated Nigerians and their purchasing power. They have turned Nigerians to paupers!
About 3 years or so ago, I complained of how naira was loosing value. I had 2m in an account I had not touched for years, infact it was dormant. I decided to change it and put in my dom account. That 2m got me $3k+2k pounds. I was upset at how naira had spoilt, not knowing it Will get worse.
Today, that same 2m can only barely get me $2k! No be juju be that?
One will assume when people hear "apc" or "T" not even "nubu", they will pick race. For where? For tribal or party reasons they still worship who had impoverished them even defend their offsprings flying presidential private jets to play polo or buying $11m homes.

You're very correct.l Sir, 16yrs of PDP ruined the nation to bearable level but you that 8yrs+ of APC soaked the nation in total economic mess .

In short both APC, PDP and others plundered the nation to this apogee

3 Likes

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by odimbannamdi(m): 9:01pm On Oct 10, 2023
Meddymeddy:
I have a question I want to ask.

When I was born in Nigeria, I met the economy at a certain stage, and what I observed is that when the economy rises, it never drops. I've heard stories from the past about how the economy was. Going back to the 1960s and 1970s, the standard of living was very low, to the extent that a double salary was paid during the Gowon regime.

Those who have traveled out of Nigeria to countries that have a better economy than Nigeria How does it feel, and how did it impact your life?

Op, you confused the emboldened with Cost of living. Cost of living is different from Standard of living.

We currently pay a lot for the basic necessities of life now (high cost of living), and we don't get to live quality lives due to inadequate infrastructures, healthcare, security, education, etc (Standard of living).

Summarily, the cost of living in the days of our parents was low and the standard of living was high. Those were days when 100naira could get you a really good meal. The reverse is the case now.

Really sad

1 Like

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by Kendrick80(m): 9:03pm On Oct 10, 2023
Does Benin republic count
Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by drololaaof: 9:06pm On Oct 10, 2023
How come the CBN decided to leave our destiny to the hand of black marketers, aboki etc this is one the genesis of our predicament.
Somebody somewhere outside the banking hall to determine our exchange rate that's too bad.
That did not happen in overseas.

1 Like

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by YorubaPrince: 9:12pm On Oct 10, 2023
Of course, way better than Nigeria, but Nigerians are simply bad pple. angry

1 Like

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by IjeBos(m): 9:12pm On Oct 10, 2023
BornAgainCow:
Depends on what you went there for. But I can tell you no place like home (Nigeria) at the end of the day.

These advanced countries can turn you into a slave working the rest of your life to pay taxes and service debt without ever experiencing true wealth.

In few short years since I’ve been back to Nigeria I have experienced progress at a rate that would have been almost impossible over there. You see the advantage Nigeria has over those counties is that it’s easier to cut corners here. As long as you have the right connects 😉

Lol. I would disregard whatever this guy has to say. He's a known compulsive liar here. He'll tell you he did Undergrad at Cambridge in the UK and Penn in the US at the same time. He has both been to the US and has never been to the US.
He has close to 100 usernames here. Check out his previous monikers Slyfoxx,SlyfoxxJoe,Slyfoxx911(and all his variations) and Timesup234(and all his variations). Same themes.
He's quite active in the US politics thread, beggars Den and gambling threads. A few years ago he was begging on this forum for 1.5k for transport money, now he's a Big Boy. Not sure why he has a need to compulsively lie.

2 Likes

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by YorubaPrince: 9:13pm On Oct 10, 2023
Kendrick80:
Does Benin republic count

Abroad na abroad, abeg! grin

3 Likes

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by YorubaPrince: 9:15pm On Oct 10, 2023
BornAgainCow:
Depends on what you went there for. But I can tell you no place like home (Nigeria) at the end of the day.

These advanced countries can turn you into a slave working the rest of your life to pay taxes and service debt without ever experiencing true wealth.

In few short years since I’ve been back to Nigeria I have experienced progress at a rate that would have been almost impossible over there. You see the advantage Nigeria has over those counties is that it’s easier to cut corners here. As long as you have the right connects 😉

You wey nvr reach airport dey brag abt abroad. grin

Werey, kontinu.. grin

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by simongonner: 9:15pm On Oct 10, 2023
UK is sweet to me, far better than Nigeria, Stable power , portable water , security, fast internet,food is cheap, sane environment. They over tax me and refunded me my money back. I am into crypto as well, am not touching my coins, rather am buying more dip cause I get paid weekly . If na Nigeria I still dey I for don chop all my portfolio as usual due to sapa. Anyway no place like home. I hope Nigeria gets better some day

3 Likes

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by hegelian: 9:24pm On Oct 10, 2023
BornAgainCow:

Meaning you would never have achieved what you claimed to achieve without being duiiusand cutting corners.. Which means you are one of those destroying the countries.. You came back to the country because you couldn't be fraudulent and cutting corners I those country u were and run back to where your devilish behaviour will not be checkmated..

1 Like

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by Fame1309(f): 9:28pm On Oct 10, 2023
I may not know the value of 34 ves,but I know the value of 1000 naira can not buy u a big load of bread herein Nigeria
clinician2x:

1$ is equal to 1000 naira

1$ is equal to 34 VES

Pls make of it what you wish.
Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by oakenfold: 9:43pm On Oct 10, 2023
Fame1309:
I may not know the value of 34 ves,but I know the value of 1000 naira can not buy u a big load of bread herein Nigeria

The real story of the currency of Venezuela.

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by tosinhtml: 9:44pm On Oct 10, 2023
yemmit90:

Ideally, an average human need absolutely nothing in this life but good foods, shelter and sex, which their systems has already taken care of irrespective of your social status. You cant promote the culture of wealth accumulation and build egalitarian society that is free of needless crimes, this is where Africans failed totally.

The reason you think paycheck is bad, is because you are looking forward to build wealth or living above your means. The reason you think accumulation of wealth is very important is merely because of fear of future, which is very understandable in this part of the world. Their societies are designed in such a way that you don't have any reason to accumulate wealth because you will be taking care of when you retire, and your children too would be well taking care of.

The rich among them also prioritise their societies because luxury comes with heavy taxes.

Finally, if their way of living by paycheck is not that good, then why are we living in poverty in Africa where there is no such opportunity? If their system is not that good, why are they progressing, while we that aften sees fault in them retrogressing? Why are we rushing to the same countries but fail to learn anything good from them?

I don't know why you folks in Nigeria get brainwashed that you don't need money once you "Travel Abroad" & all you need is "Better life".

Every part of the world you live, whether ABROAD or Nigeria you need money to survive therefore to accumulate wealth/have liquid - You want to know why? Read on;

1. Kids education: Student loans are required for your kids University & your kids will have to go through it if your parents cannot pay outrightly. Except maybe you live in Germany or those European schools that give free tertiary education to their citizens.

- This means your kids will be stuck in the future with student loans. Most African parents pay of their kids tuition immediately.

2. Home ownership: To purchase a property you require at least 10% down payment for your house, you need at least save that money. Let's say you want to buy a house of $300k (Basic Price of House), you require around $30k USD.

- Where will you get that $30k USD from if you don't accumulate wealth?
- Will you steal it from the market?
- Do you think they pluck money from trees abroad?

3. Loss of job: many people faced the risk of eviction or foreclosure, particularly if they were unable to pay their rent or mortgage.

- This happened during the COVID19 pandemic, people living paycheck to paycheck were stuck with homelessness.
- Many individuals turned to credit cards, loans, or borrowed money from friends and family, leading to increased debt and financial stress.

4. The inflation: in the UK & Canada has moved up exponentially & a basic housing that cost $500 in 2002, now cost $1400 per month. The cost of living has risen crazily above what salaries can cover. This means you have to work twice as much as you worked in 2002.

- When inflation occurs, the cost of living rises, which means that the same amount of money buys fewer goods and services. For individuals already struggling to cover their basic expenses on each paycheck, inflation effectively reduces their real income, making it even harder to make ends meet.

2 Likes

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by tosinhtml: 9:49pm On Oct 10, 2023
DaddyGngeess:

I know about Canada housing issues at the moment but what i am telling is the fact about European countries, i have alot of guys leaving in every parts of European countries because i have traveled leaved to almost all them in the past both the poorest ones

Our currency is 1000/$1, wouldn't you leave Nigeria if you were the one? It means you can make more money & save more if you leave.

Why is it so hard to understand why people are leaving?

3 Likes

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by DaddyGngeess(m): 10:08pm On Oct 10, 2023
tosinhtml:

Our currency is 1000/$1, wouldn't you leave Nigeria if you were the one? It means you can make more money & save more if you leave.

Why is it so hard to understand why people are leaving?

You don't know me that is the reason for this your comment, the only kolanut i can give to anyone that is close to me or anybody i want to help is visa because that was how i was made today so i always tell people around me if your papa no get money ur mama no get money and you no get future for this country japa if you have the means because it will surely favor you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. by BornAgainCow: 10:19pm On Oct 10, 2023
IjeBos:

Lol. I would disregard whatever this guy has to say. He's a known compulsive liar here. He'll tell you he did Undergrad at Cambridge in the UK and Penn in the US at the same time. He has both been to the US and has never been to the US.
He has close to 100 usernames here. Check out his previous monikers Slyfoxx,SlyfoxxJoe,Slyfoxx911(and all his variations) and Timesup234(and all his variations). Same themes.
He's quite active in the US politics thread, beggars Den and gambling threads. A few years ago he was begging on this forum for 1.5k for transport money, now he's a Big Boy. Not sure why he has a need to compulsively lie.

Ketchup or mayonnaise bro? You working real hard for it now. Following me everywhere 😂😂

You have no life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Volkswagen Falls Into Gutter At Dopemu Lagos Due To Bad Tyre (Photos) / Japa Propaganda And The Mindset Of The Nigerian Youths / See Moment A Woman Was Dragged By A Moving Train After Her Sari Got Stuck

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.