Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? (9609 Views)

How Marketable Is Pharmacology In Nigeria And Abroad / Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! / My Mum Insists "Medicine Or Nothing" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Odidigboigbo(m): 2:01pm On Jan 29
Jman06:
Only Pharmacists are licensed to dispense(sell) drugs and also counsel patients on how to safely use their drugs.

A doctor can prescribe but only Pharmacists sell. This is because Pharmacists are the only ones with requisite training on drugs from storage, to drug interactions to drug therapy problems etc.
To best of my knowledge, 80% of pharmacy in Nigeria are own by purely businessmen that are not Pharmacist

1 Like

Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 2:06pm On Jan 29
marenx:
Must I study medicine or pharmacology in order to sell drugs in Nigeria?

No. But you need a licence from PCN to operate a pharmacy. That is only issued if the "head" of the pharmacy is a registered and qualified pharmacist. Nothing concerns medicine with selling drugs as a pharmacy. PCN not NMA regulates the industry.
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Jman06(m): 2:07pm On Jan 29
Odidigboigbo:
To best of my knowledge, 80% of pharmacy in Nigeria are own by purely businessmen that are not Pharmacist
80% is an exaggeration. And those non-pharmacists owning Pharmacy premises have a Pharmacist who registered the business and are supposed to be there to supervise activities in the premises.

So yes, a non-pharmacist can own a pharmacy business but the business must be run by a Pharmacist. That is how it works.

2 Likes

Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 2:08pm On Jan 29
Odidigboigbo:

They got the qualifications of a registered pharmacist to obtain a licence from PCN to operate it. Without the licence, they cannot operate the store. It is why at a point, most Igbo men who owned big pharmacies married ladies who studied Pharmacy.

"To the best of your knowledge, 80% of pharamcies in Nigeria...." Where did you get the figure from?

1 Like

Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Odidigboigbo(m): 2:12pm On Jan 29
Jman06:
80% is an exaggeration. And those non-pharmacists owning Pharmacy premises have a Pharmacist who registered the business and are supposed to be there to supervise activities in the premises.

So yes, a non-pharmacist can own a pharmacy business but the business must be run by a Pharmacist. That is how it works.
So OP doesn't need to study pharmacy before he can operate, if he has the required capital.
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Machinegun91(m): 2:18pm On Jan 29
If you are Igbo ......No

other tribes .... Yes
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Jman06(m): 2:20pm On Jan 29
Odidigboigbo:
So OP doesn't need to study pharmacy before he can operate, if he has the required capital.
Yeah...if he has the capital, he can approach a Pharmacist for business
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Theoarhics: 2:22pm On Jan 29
To sell drugs ... Nope.

Those people selling drugs in Onitsha and Dumota didn't even go to school . But you need to go to school to prescribe, practice and administer medicine.

1 Like

Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Cassandraloius: 2:24pm On Jan 29
Perhaps.
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Bluntemperor: 2:36pm On Jan 29
realmindz:

You don’t need higher education before you can sell drugs.
Just study the streets. You are good

ehhh,you de whinne us ni? Or what is going on here?
Don't you know is about life the OP is discussing no?
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by geunik(m): 2:37pm On Jan 29
A school certificate holder can sell over the counter drugs as a chemist. A pharmacist can sell any registered drug
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by pikechukwu6(m): 2:40pm On Jan 29
grin Ask Abubakar our street Security
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Slurity(m): 2:40pm On Jan 29
garriAndsugar:
Chicago University can get you a certificate within seconds just like they gave tinubu.
You have to choose between pharmacy or medicine. Or you can mix it Pharmacy in Medicine
Are you still in this pain since last year? Chikago university told us that Tinubu got his certificate with 4 years study but you claim sec here as if you dont use your brain before talking.

3 Likes

Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Jman06(m): 2:40pm On Jan 29
Theoarhics:
To sell drugs ... Nope.

Those people selling drugs in Onitsha and Dumota didn't even go to school . But you need to go to school to prescribe, practice and administer medicine.
Those people are operating illegally and I am sure that sooner than later they'll not be there anymore.

Drugs not like other commodities that you just trade on anyhow. They are strictly regulated by laws because much as they can be used to cure illnesses, they can also cause injury or even death. Many people are mad and roaming the streets today because of abuse of certain prescription drugs.
Rapists And other criminals also use some of these drugs for their activities.

Disease burdens have been created in Nigeria due to indiscriminate use of drugs such as antibiotics and other antimicrobial agents. We're complaining that Nigeria doesn't produce these drugs, yet we keep making disease-causing organisms resistant to the drugs we manage to import due to indiscriminate use.

Our healthcare index and life expectancy is one of the poorest in the world and indiscriminate use of drugs is one of the contributing factors.

So, those people at bridgehead market and other open drugs markets are rather making money at the detriment of Nigerians. They're illegal because the law does not recognize them. They're only taking advantage of corruption in the country! A law has been put in place to relocate them to a better environment where they'll be better supervised by Pharmacists and other agencies of government involved in drug regulation, but they connive with corrupt government officials to frustrate the efforts.

However, I'm sure that their days are numbered because evil never triumphs over good.
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by FireUpNow(m): 2:41pm On Jan 29
Yourprick:
Lol this your question ehnn,it's a must but it's not a must in Nigeria,cause even Musa way no go sch day sell swipha

Emekus who dey go India dey import medicine come nor near the walls of university. If you have the money you even open an hospital and hire qualified medical doctors, nurses, midwives, lab scientists and pharmacists. Just know how to play the card.

Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by FatherLord: 2:41pm On Jan 29
Come to ojota and lagos island you will small boys brought from the village In pharmacy shops selling prescription drugs .
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by onuman: 2:44pm On Jan 29
Neither Medicine nor Pharmacology entitles you to sell drugs in Nigeria.
Only Pharmacists sell drugs.

2 Likes

Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by DoctorAyukebot(m): 2:53pm On Jan 29
When you say study medicine you are referring to medical doctors who are licensed to prescribe drugs, simply put. Pharmacologist on the other hand could be medical doctors with advanced speciality knowledge on how to produce drugs. To be permitted to sell drugs you need to be a registered Pharmacist. However since regulations aren't followed to the letter in many developing countries, chains of medicine sales point otherwise known as Chemist shop, dispense and sell medications they are not required to.
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Voiceofthestree: 3:08pm On Jan 29
[quote author=CHRISTFUCKER post=128183503] I beg I inbox you chck make we talk
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Lovelyn451(f): 3:08pm On Jan 29
NO..they can even produce with your name if u want, e.g all these anti malaria with different names na one rich olodo name o, lumefantrine and arthemeter is the medicine....
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by drimzsmoke(m): 3:15pm On Jan 29
Nemesis0147:
a pharmacist can sell any kind of drugs in this country,,including tramadol..abortion pills….codine and it likes.
….I’m not talking about cocain and it likes.

Someone who studied pharmacy is called a pharmacist
Someone who studied pharmacology is called a pharmacologist!!!
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by wunmi590(m): 3:16pm On Jan 29

Yes, it is a must you have the certificate before you can sell drug...

Medical doctor is not licenced to sell drug, but to prescribed based on his medical diagnosis..

It is the work of the pharmacist to dispense and sell drugs, so that's why they don't play with their certifications...

If you feel you have the money to establish such company, you can simply employ somebody who has the certificate and work together and establish the company together....

Some people do it alot
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Nemesis0147(m): 3:17pm On Jan 29
drimzsmoke:

Someone who studied pharmacy is called a pharmacist
Someone who studied pharmacology is called a pharmacologist!!!
yes
Na me do mistake
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by drimzsmoke(m): 3:19pm On Jan 29
Nemesis0147:
yes
Na me do mistake

A pharmacologist is not even licenced to sell anything....a pharmacy technician, on the other hand can sell drugs!!!
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Johilo(m): 3:27pm On Jan 29
You wan go learn how to sale drugs too... No go give person vitamin c for malaria o
Una dey always find easy way to something

1 Like

Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by RxCatalyst: 3:32pm On Jan 29
garriAndsugar:
Chicago University can get you a certificate within seconds just like they gave tinubu.
You have to choose between pharmacy or medicine. Or you can mix it Pharmacy in Medicine

Atimes it is better if you are quiet than to spew rubbish.

See the person mocking Tinubu, doesn't even know the differences.

At OP, you only need pharmacy degree to manufacture, sell, import, export or store a drug.

1 Like

Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Newton1045: 3:36pm On Jan 29
tuoyoojo:
Doctors are not licensed to sell drugs. They may prescribe medications but its the work of Pharmacist to sell prescribed drugs

Sorry please, so if doctors open hospital, they can't keep drugs and sell to their patients?
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by RealIgboboy: 3:53pm On Jan 29
[quote author=marenx post=126324027]Must I study medicine or pharmacology in order to sell drugs in Nigeria

Not really but you employ the service or have a license pharmacist to work with as a cover up. Nothing is impossible in Nigeria.
I have seen many without medical background but are selling drugs in Nigeria.
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by Seunpapa65: 3:57pm On Jan 29
SirLakes:
What type of drugs grin
Drugs for developing or for medical treatment grin
You dropped this

Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by SirLakes: 4:05pm On Jan 29
Seunpapa65:

You dropped this
na your papa own be that grin

Sorry cheesy
Re: Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? by garriAndsugar: 4:21pm On Jan 29
Eriggs:
Why not keep shut if you have nothing reasonable to contribute?
Why not wait for responsible and mature members to comment?

Do you think they are talking about garri and sugar here as your moniker implies?
Better BeCareful , I hate nonsense

Lol 😂, did nairaland sef grin cheesy
Wetin Adamu no go sell for gate...
Come and keep me shut

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What To Do If Your Boss Is Incompetent / Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage / Is It True That Ladies Are Limited To Tailor And Hairdresser As Handwork?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.