Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,216 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. (5931 Views)

How The Most Intelligent Student In My Secondary School Days Defrauded A Bank / Fat Joe Defends Curvy Teacher After Parents Asked For Her To Be Sacked / My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Rich4god(m): 9:39am On Oct 14, 2023
I was at my work place when one of my secondary school teacher came in for some inquiries.

I finish secondary school about 15 years back and this teacher was already there before I entered JSS 1 and from my findings, he is still working there.

Now to the main issue... He came for some financial advice and so he provided me with his details. Currently his salary is about 125,000 and I heard he's now the vice principal academics of the school.

I was really heartbroken. How can someone sacrifice more than 20 years of his life building up leaders of tomorrow only to still be earning less than 200k. This is not good at all.

With this type of poor financial payment to teachers, it's obvious we can't be having serious minded individuals to take up the teaching profession.

From what everyone knows, teachers don't have a clear path to career growth. The highest one can get is to be a principal and the package that comes with that position will definitely be less than 300k.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Apcsupport1: 9:41am On Oct 14, 2023
Nawa o
Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Rich4god(m): 9:42am On Oct 14, 2023
Continued...

Now what am thinking is....

Let govt officially create a career path for teachers/lecturers. Even though some of them are already doing it. But let it be official now.

Let govt and teachers council and NUC make it mandatory that lecturers should only be employed from secondary school teachers and secondary school teachers should only be employed from primary and nursery school teachers.

This is how it will work.

Let's say a graduate(BSc, B.Ed, NCE) starts his or her teaching career as a primary or nursery school teacher. From there the teacher aquires more qualification and progress to secondary. Then from secondary, the teacher probably gets a master's or more degree, then during recruitment of lecturer whether private or public, the candidates that will apply are those who are secondary school teachers with the necessary qualifications.

If the university is looking for professionals from industries, let those set of lecturer be visiting lecturers.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Thundafireseun: 9:44am On Oct 14, 2023
Finally school nah scam

1 Like

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Bluntguy: 9:50am On Oct 14, 2023
Rich4god:

Let govt officially create a career path for teachers/lecturers. Even though some of them are already doing it. But let it be official now.

Still typing
I was thinking you were thinking of upgrading him financially only for you to start talking about government. You ended up not saying anything tangible about helping your secondary school teacher.

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Vinnie2000(m): 9:52am On Oct 14, 2023
See this OP!😏

Some PRIVATE Schools Principals receive 35K salary! 😕😒

This Life in Naija, ain't easy @all. 😟

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Rich4god(m): 9:54am On Oct 14, 2023
Continued...

With this in place, teachers can actually have a career and have proper growth education wise and financially.

This will help mitigate the issue where teachers will be teaching in primary and secondary for years without any significant changes in their financial life.

Like I said earlier, some teachers through their own personal efforts moved from secondary school teacher to university lecturer. But it will be better if govt creates a career path for them. This will encourage better hands to enter the teaching profession as the path will be promising for them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Nokio2: 9:55am On Oct 14, 2023
Tp u no roger the man,lunch u no buy for am.. U come here the write vision 2050 ..na 3rd party vendor give u result from d secondary school?

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by DonBenny77(m): 9:55am On Oct 14, 2023
The pay is fair enough for an old school teacher.
It's up to him to advance his career.
Note that he still earns from other gigs like home lesson teacher and others

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by mrvitalis(m): 10:00am On Oct 14, 2023
Rich4god:
Continued...

Let govt and teachers council and NUC make it mandatory that lecturers should only be employed from secondary school teachers and secondary school teachers should only be employed from primary and nursery school teachers.

This is how it will work.

Let's say a graduate(BSc, B.Ed, NCE) starts his or her teaching career as a primary or nursery school teacher. From there the teacher aquires more qualification and progress to secondary. Then from secondary, the teacher probably gets a master's or more degree, then during recruitment of lecturer whether private or public, the candidates that will apply are those who are secondary school teachers with the necessary qualifications.

If the university is looking for professionals from industries, let those set of lecturer be visiting lecturers.
What you are saying has bad long-term implications as so many field would be left empty

Truth is if you want teachers to earn more there is only two solutions

1) higher taxes... Most school all over the world are funded by property tax

2) high school fees this is clear to understand

But for me the best model is what Peter obi did in Anambra... That's the best model for public health and education sector... It's just fantastic

But I would like to add a bit of what ameachi did in rivers state first then apply Obi principles... Once you add this two... Trust me the results would be wonderful

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Rich4god(m): 10:01am On Oct 14, 2023
DonBenny77:
The pay is fair enough for an old school teacher.
It's up to him to advance his career.
Note that he still earns from other gigs like home lesson teacher and others

For someone to have worked for more than 20 years... At least the salary should be like 300k+

If na business him do for that long, him for don blow.

1 Like

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Rich4god(m): 10:02am On Oct 14, 2023
Bluntguy:

I was thinking you were thinking of upgrading him financially only for you to start talking about government. You ended up not saying anything tangible about helping your secondary school teacher.

Our old students association have been in constant touch with the school helping out in the best way we can, but I never for once imagined that the salary of a teacher who have stayed that long will still be at that range.

1 Like

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by dawnomike(m): 10:03am On Oct 14, 2023
Life is a choice... He owed it to himself to have upgraded himself and moved higher.

2 Likes

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Rich4god(m): 10:03am On Oct 14, 2023
mrvitalis:

What you are saying has bad long-term implications as so many field would be left empty

But for me the best model is what Peter obi did in Anambra... That's the best model for public health and education sector... It's just fantastic

But I would like to add a bit of what ameachi did in rivers state first then apply Obi principles... Once you add this two... Trust me the results would be wonderful

What did Peter Obi and Amaechi did?

4 Likes

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by SeunOsewaIsDiot: 10:03am On Oct 14, 2023
Rich4god:
I was at my work place when one of my secondary school teacher came in for some inquiries.

I finish secondary school about 15 years back and this teacher was already there before I entered JSS 1 and from my findings, he is still working there.

Now to the main issue... He came for some financial advice and so he provided me with his details. Currently his salary is about 125,000 and I heard he's now the vice principal academics of the school.

I was really heartbroken. How can someone sacrifice more than 20 years of his life building up leaders of tomorrow only to still be earning less than 200k. This is not good at all.

With this type of poor financial payment to teachers, it's obvious we can't be having serious minded individuals to take up the teaching profession.

From what everyone knows, teachers don't have a clear path to career growth. The highest one can get is to be a principal and the package that comes with that position will definitely be less than 300k.

Kwantinue
Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by EyeCumInPiss: 10:05am On Oct 14, 2023
What do you expect for a country that supports a certificate forger as president.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 14, 2023
Okay
Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by DonBenny77(m): 10:09am On Oct 14, 2023
Rich4god:

For someone to have worked for more than 20 years... At least the salary should be like 300k+

If na business him do for that long, him for don blow.
Na the upgrade, evolving and packaging. Side gigs like tutorials, private lessons and writing books for pay more.
I no fit employ my high school introtech teacher to teach my kids in 2023
Parents go still complain of high school fee by private schools
Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by mrvitalis(m): 10:20am On Oct 14, 2023
Rich4god:

What did Peter Obi and Amaechi did?
That's what google is for... Can come and explain full educational policy of two governors for you here on nairaland na
Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by westlius(m): 10:21am On Oct 14, 2023
Bluntguy:

My dear people prefer to upgrade there class mate
Than teachers.
Teachers were so mean to us then as a student.
Teachers floggings no b here

1 Like

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Rich4god(m): 10:21am On Oct 14, 2023
DonBenny77:

Na the upgrade, evolving and packaging. Side gigs like tutorials, private lessons and writing books for pay more.

Most won't upgrade because they know they aren't going far as a teacher. The once who upgrade are doing so because they are leaving the teaching profession.
Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by henidord3: 10:23am On Oct 14, 2023
Nigeria educational system it's so bleeped up

1 Like

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Rich4god(m): 10:23am On Oct 14, 2023
mrvitalis:

That's what google is for... Can come and explain full educational policy of two governors for you here on nairaland na
snippet...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Blake755: 10:27am On Oct 14, 2023
Teachers rewards dey for heaven
Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by CodeTemplar: 10:30am On Oct 14, 2023
Salary is suppose to be reward for labour, in a situation where the final output of the labour is 1.5-2.5 decades away, it is always harder to get money out of those getting the service. The parents of those children don't get anything in return in the short term from the fees they pay so it is largely a one-way traffic until the child works and earns. Even that period between training and employment is being widened by lack of opportunities and dysfunctional system.
It is well.
Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by CodeTemplar: 10:32am On Oct 14, 2023
Blake755:
Teachers rewards dey for heaven
...if they catch you, especially ASUU.
Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by kereman1: 10:34am On Oct 14, 2023
Rich4god:

Online good sameritan tendency
Off line all man for himself tendency

7 Likes

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Godwin4444: 10:34am On Oct 14, 2023
Rich4god:

teaching should b added to modern slavery, private schools even worse

E pay make person dey ride bike or keke napep pass make e dey teach
Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Godwin4444: 10:40am On Oct 14, 2023
EyeCumInPiss:
What do you expect for a country that supports a certificate forger as president.
but csu came out that he finished from there n many threads here have established d fact u can always get your replacement result from vendor

Please what’s it about all these things?
I don’t understand

We had to open all those things for an igbo boy in my shop before he calm down

Guy read n widen your knowledge n at d same time do away with hate so u can see things straight

There are some things u will say among learned people that will present u as dumb

Play opposition with sense

5 Likes

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Godwin4444: 10:44am On Oct 14, 2023
DonBenny77:

u think it’s that easy

I was once a teacher during my service year, see ehn students will not pay for any tutorial n as per private lesson how much u wan see

U want someone who his money dey finish before 20th of d month to write book?

With which money?

Oga let’s all agree teaching is modern slavery

2 Likes

Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by BreconHills(m): 10:45am On Oct 14, 2023
mrvitalis:

Please tell us what Peter Obi did in Anambra.
Re: I Saw My Secondary School Teacher After 15 Years And Am Thinking About This. by Simdyofficial(f): 11:37am On Oct 14, 2023
I met my government class teacher somewhere in ikeja few months ago.. about 18yrs since I left secondary school.. he was trekking with a bell.. man Neva change. He was a gospel preacher . I called him and he couldn't recognise me.. until I made him remember everything way back. He almost cried.. Thanks to hubby. He's now working as a manager in a factory with good pay. I always smile at life and everything it offers

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do's And Don'ts For Writing An Essay Conclusion - Writing Guide / A Very Tricky Riddle. Let's See Who Gets It First / Abbreviations Many Use On Daily Basis Without Knowing The Full Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.