Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,602 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs (26033 Views)

Peter Obi Defends Purchase Of ₦‎160 Million SUV For LP Lawmakers / Apapa’s Camp Asked Court To Sack All LP Lawmakers-elect – Obi’s Faction Reveals / ‘it’s Deceitful’ – Soludo Replies Obi’s Call For Anambra To Vote LP Lawmakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by dre11(m): 2:24pm On Oct 20, 2023
Labour Party lawmakers in the National Assembly have ignored the advice of the party’s National Chairman, Julius Abure, not to be a part of the luxury official vehicles being planned for legislators.

Abure had, in a statement on Monday, said the National Assembly leadership was planning to buy a Sport Utility Vehicle worth N160m for each lawmaker.

Abure, who described the alleged plan as insensitive and condemnable given the dire economic situation in the country, urged lawmakers elected on the platform of the Labour Party not to be a part of the profligate spending.

But when asked on Thursday whether LP lawmakers would do as Abure said, the lawmaker representing Delta Aniocha North and South, Ngozi Okolie, said Abure’s demands were unrealistic particularly because he had yet to provide them with alternatives to carry out their jobs.

The LP lawmaker said, The SUVs are meant to aid our jobs as lawmakers, particularly as it relates to our oversight functions.

“Yes, he can say that the economy is struggling but having one official vehicle as federal lawmakers isn’t frivolous; it’s a necessity.”

Okolie noted that Nigerians were quick to attack lawmakers over things like this whereas politicians at the state level get more benefits than federal lawmakers.

He said, “Commissioners and House of Assembly members get up to two to three of such cars whereas National Assembly members are only getting one car each, yet he (Abure) is complaining and telling us not to collect it. Does he have any to give to us?

“Is he going to give us work tools to carry out our jobs or does he have an alternative for us? Has Abure told the members in his state in Edo, not to take the official vehicles given to them?”

The lawmaker further argued that it was cheaper to buy those vehicles than hire one every time they needed to go on an oversight.

Similarly, the lawmaker representing Igbo Etiti and Uzo-Uwani constituencies in Enugu State, Stainless Nwodo, said President Bola Tinubu deserved commendation for approving such vehicles for lawmakers.

Nwodo said, National Assembly members should pray for the President and give him three ‘Gbosas’ for his magnanimity to the lawmakers.

“Nobody in the National Assembly is against the SUV, when the SUV comes, we will collect it and use it to bring more benefits to our constituencies; because in the real sense, it is for the constituents.”

The lawmaker added, I don’t want to believe the chairman of the party said so, because did he give us any vehicle to do our jobs?

“Attributing his reason to economic hardship is pure blackmail. In the first instance, the vehicle is for each constituency, not the personal vehicle for the members.

Also, we need these SUVs to ply the bad roads in our constituencies when we need to visit them and deliver goodies to them. This is why the Speaker and the Senate President decided that SUVs are better to visit our constituencies.

“My own stance is that I will take the SUV and use it to deliver dividends to my constituents
.”

On his part, the lawmaker representing Edo South Senatorial District, Neda Imasuen, said he would wait for the vehicles to arrive before making a decision.

Senator Imasuen said, “I’d urge you to wait until that happens, then we will revisit the issue. I wouldn’t want to count my chickens before they hatch.

“Labour Party has eight senators out of 109 and about 35 in the House of Representatives out of 360. So, I don’t know if it would make any difference if the lawmakers in the party take it or not.

“I don’t think telling them to take or reject would make any difference, I don’t think it would affect anything.

“Having said that, we haven’t been given any vehicle yet, but they said they would give.”

https://punchng.com/lp-lawmakers-shun-abure-set-to-collect-suvs/

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Urheadmaster(m): 2:26pm On Oct 20, 2023
cheesy

The Labour Party lawmakers must've been induced by Bola Ahmed Tinubu not to listen to Abure.

Even Obi would love to ride in an SUVs worth N160m tongue.

97 Likes 5 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by muykem: 2:26pm On Oct 20, 2023
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

105 Likes 4 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by OneCandleAway(f): 2:27pm On Oct 20, 2023
Everyone is taking so they should also take. Its dumb if they don't take.

Important thing is deliver to your people. We saw one LP house of reps man help his community just 3 weeks after resumption. That's the kind of news we want to hear. Make your constituency feel your impact, change their lives especially in important projects that will benefit them.

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Urheadmaster(m): 2:29pm On Oct 20, 2023
Seconded cool
OneCandleAway:
Everyone is taking so they should also take. Its dumb if they don't take.

Important thing is deliver to your people. We saw one LP house of reps man help his community just 3 weeks after resumption. That's the kind of news we want to hear. Make your constituency feel your impact, change their lives especially in important projects that will benefit them.

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Ikaeniyan0: 2:34pm On Oct 20, 2023
The lawmakers are not scared of abure because they know he's not the labour party chairman

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by alizma: 2:36pm On Oct 20, 2023
Urheadmaster:
cheesy

Labour Party lawmakers are already induced by Bola Ahmed Tinubu the cocaine sniffing vagabond tongue
Are you saying they are not as upright as you made us to believe? Probably their master, Obi is also dragging baba because baba hasn't tell him to name his price too

78 Likes 7 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Depriest2020: 2:39pm On Oct 20, 2023
Nothing bad about it, it is their entitlement.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Raskimonojendor: 2:40pm On Oct 20, 2023
PDPLPC. They are all one and the same..

Afterall, alot of these LP politicians defected from APC or PDP.

grin grin grin

102 Likes 9 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by ThatFairGuy1: 2:41pm On Oct 20, 2023
grin
Even Obi would take it if he were to be among and the OBIdient criminals will defend him

The supreme monkey only disguise. He's gbajue original

107 Likes 5 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by ThatFairGuy1: 2:49pm On Oct 20, 2023
It's a great insult to adulthood to say you're an adult.

I'm very sure you know NOTHING about separation of power

Urheadmaster:
cheesy

Labour Party lawmakers are already induced by Bola Ahmed Tinubu the cocaine sniffing vagabond tongue

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by FreeStuffsNG: 2:50pm On Oct 20, 2023
dre11:

Nlfpmod
Mr Abure, ex-LP Chairman, was too hasty in his response.

When I first read about the cars, my first reaction is what is the alternative and is the alternative cheaper?
A Senator/HOR is not a cheap office in the level of governance and it's a demotivation if you don't give them a car and can't proffer alternative to how they can meet such need. Should they trek or take bolt or uber? If they use their private cars, who pays for their official visits on oversight?

I don't believe in profligacy but this one requires intelligent suggestions. Perhaps we should revisit the monetization of such needs as done during Pa Obj tenure. Check my signature for free stuffs!

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by abhosts(m): 2:50pm On Oct 20, 2023
I no blame them. Nigerians always hate waste and corruption till it is their turn to benefit from it.

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by seanfer(m): 2:55pm On Oct 20, 2023
DMerciful grin grin grin grin Come and call them out on social media, they will read your comment inside a 2023 Toyota Landcruiser worth 130,000,000....

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by DMerciful(m): 3:14pm On Oct 20, 2023
Why are you happy that the politicians are shortchanging Nigerians?
seanfer:
DMerciful grin grin grin grin Come and call them out on social media, they will read your comment inside a 2023 Toyota Landcruiser worth 130,000,000....

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by EmperorCaesar(m): 3:23pm On Oct 20, 2023
cheesy
Shey na those wey wan change Nigeria be this

Bunch of Clowns

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Obiedun(m): 3:36pm On Oct 20, 2023
Before nko? They are hungry set of people

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Sangoamadioha1: 3:37pm On Oct 20, 2023
Urheadmaster:
Seconded cool

Whatever happened to principles. They should take it because others are taking it. It also means they should steal because others are stealing too.
Labour party, PDP, APC are all different faces of the same thing like we have always maintained.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Beremx(f): 3:39pm On Oct 20, 2023
They should collect the SUVs abeg. After all it's part of the national cake. Who no like better thing?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Racoon(m): 3:44pm On Oct 20, 2023
Any of the Labour Party NASS member who collected that SUV must be a bastards and may those Greek gift be the begining of their unending miseries while this nation is in a sorry state of economic mess. It will never be well with them.

They must not be rewarded with another opportunity
to go to the NASS. Legislators in other climes are not fitted with money-buy overs or undeserving allowing or "money prayer messages"

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by AImiron: 3:44pm On Oct 20, 2023
If you think they gonna reject SUV, you don Jonze 😂

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Curious345: 3:45pm On Oct 20, 2023
Good

.dollar is getting to ₦2000 by December .

Yoruba Ronu people .. share this post if you have received your senses yet

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by obembet(f): 3:45pm On Oct 20, 2023
When I said LP is not different from APC or PDP, they will cry insult me. Obidient will turn a blind eye on this now cos their eyes is clear. I really want to see LP senators and Rep project at the end of 4yrs.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by ogododo: 3:46pm On Oct 20, 2023

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Slydan204: 3:46pm On Oct 20, 2023
All these politicians sef. Bunch of Jobestinas and lienuses. Spits

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Mosba: 3:46pm On Oct 20, 2023
That joke call LP

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 20, 2023
Shebi they will look for votes later

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by iwaeda: 3:46pm On Oct 20, 2023
dre11:

Who will not want to enjoy SUV. LP is not saint. grin grin grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Peacemaker5128: 3:46pm On Oct 20, 2023
they dont labour in vain

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: LP Lawmakers Shun Abure, Set To Collect Suvs by Freedom4us: 3:46pm On Oct 20, 2023
Are LP the people who allocated
Money for such?

The govt being led by a drug lord is spend thrift

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lessons From The Second Niger Bridge - Thisday / Emir Of Kano Sanusi Lamido To Rebuild Burnt Baptist Church In Kano. Pix / Video: Cameroonian TV Hails Buhari Impeccable Timing Of Arrival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.