Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,021 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” (33235 Views)

Strangest Books Ever Written (photos) / List Your Top Five Greatest Books / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by viyon02: 9:42am On Oct 28, 2023
AareGaa:

Achebe was an ordinary novelist.
He could not have won Nobel laureate.

Those who won laureate are complete writers in drama, poetry, novels
Achebe tried his hands
on poetry and drama and he failed woefully
can you proof this point of yours?
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by sylve11: 9:43am On Oct 28, 2023
Okolo3662:
1[b]. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy[/b]
2. To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee. Hardcover book first published July 11, 1960. Novel won 1961 Pulitzer Prize. Later made into an Academy Award winning film.
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
4. One Hundred Years of Solitude Garcia Marquez, 1982.
5. A Passage to India by E.M. Forster.
6. Things Fall Apart by Chinualumogu Achebe.
7. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.
8. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.
9. Beloved by Toni Morrison
10. Mrs Dalloway by Vagina Wolf.
11. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
12. The purple color by Alice Walker.

They are my favorites. cool
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by AareGaa: 10:17am On Oct 28, 2023
tishbite42:

Igbos are the whole world that have praised the man. From Obama to Godimer to countless number of people.
Thank God Tinubu is in the saddle, representative of all Yorubad worldwide, and we can see how dumb and foolish you people are.
Even the Fulanis are far smarter than you. Look at the mess we now have in less than a year. You should be ashamed to compare Tinubu and Obi. Even his wife and children won't be stupid to do such comparison.

When did Obama praise Achebe? Ibos are the most delusional tribe I have known. Even, an educated ibo talks like an illiterate.
You're comparing Obi that cannot express himself well with smart and intelligent Tinubu?
Mumú biaflans!

The same ibos believed Buhari was cloned.
It is ibos that hype crippled Achebe.

1 Like

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by AareGaa: 10:22am On Oct 28, 2023
tishbite42:

Just 'Things Fall Apart' no be Wole Soyinka mate.
There are levels to this.

It is ibos that hype Achebe.
Achebe was envious of Soyinka throughout his life crippled life. It was the envy and bitterness of Soyinka that eventually killed. Today, Soyinka is still agile at almost 90 .
He was an ordinary novelist.
He was a complete failure in drama and poetry.
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Renman: 10:52am On Oct 28, 2023
AareGaa:

When did Obama praise Achebe? Ibos are the most delusional tribe I have known. Even, an educated ibo talks like an illiterate.
You're comparing Obi that cannot express himself well with smart and intelligent Tinubu?
Mumú biaflans!

You are full of bitterness.... Between soyinka and Achebe, who is more known in international community
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by AareGaa: 10:57am On Oct 28, 2023
Renman:
You are full of bitterness.... Between soyinka and Achebe, who is more known in international community

Soyinka is known worldwide, only ibos hype Achebe.

The same ibos called tribalist like azikiwe, a nationalist.
Azikiwe connived with ibo soldiers to murder his contemporaries.

1 Like

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by tishbite42: 11:14am On Oct 28, 2023
AareGaa:

Mumú biaflans!

Go and check what Barack Obama said about Chinua Achebe
Ignorance is bliss
The works of Achebe are 100x more popular than that of Soyinka
Hope you won't be foolish enough to argue that
grin grin grin
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by AareGaa: 12:41pm On Oct 28, 2023
tishbite42:

Go and check what Barack Obama said about Chinua Achebe
Ignorance is bliss
The works of Achebe are 100x more popular than that of Soyinka
Hope you won't be foolish enough to argue that
grin grin grin

There's nothing popular in his Achebe's book. It's Ibos that like hyping their own, just the way dumb and inarticulate obi is being hyped.

Achebe spent his days envying Soyinka. It was the envy that killed him prematurely

1 Like

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by ukandi1(m): 1:00pm On Oct 28, 2023
Okolo3662:
1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
2. To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee. Hardcover book first published July 11, 1960. Novel won 1961 Pulitzer Prize. Later made into an Academy Award winning film.

Do you really mean the name of the publisher of serial number 10. ?
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Spandau: 1:29pm On Oct 28, 2023
Authoreety:

Seriously!

Is this how u accuse people on this forum?
Seun you have to do something about this false allegation.
Meanwhile, wats the meaning of bots

You don't know what a bot is? You're going to be investigated because you are being economical with the truth.
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Babysho(m): 1:42pm On Oct 28, 2023
ONNYX:

You have done well for yourself. But I bet you don't belong to this generation who do not understand the mystery that lies in words.

That you grew up in Nigeria and you read the books above shows that you are more than an average reader.

Haha thank you. Yep, grew up and still in Nigeria and I'm in my mid 20s actually but if you mean not belonging to the generation psychologically, then yes, I've always been a RETRO PERSON. I know only 2 of my friends that read books.

One of the first good books I read was Sizwe Banzi Is Dead and I've been hooked to novels ever since. I've got this long list of novels I need to read, it's got those nostalgic books like KokuBaboni, Sugar Girl, Chike And The River and other books like Citizen Kane, Black Man Of The Nile...

What are your favourite novels?
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Renman: 2:07pm On Oct 28, 2023
AareGaa:

Soyinka is known worldwide, only ibos hype Achebe.

The same ibos called tribalist like azikiwe, a nationalist.
Azikiwe connived with ibo soldiers to murder his contemporaries.
Who knows soyinka worldwide

Stop typing with bitterness!

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/african-writers#:~:text=1.,on%20literature%20from%20the%20continent.

1 Share

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by tishbite42: 2:35pm On Oct 28, 2023
AareGaa:

There's nothing popular in his Achebe's book. It's Ibos that like hyping their own, just the way dumb and inarticulate obi is being hyped.

Achebe spent his days envying Soyinka. It was the envy that killed him prematurely
Things Fall Apart sold more copies than Soyinka's entire catalog
Deal with that
The truth hurts
Cry no more
grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Jaqenhghar: 2:58pm On Oct 28, 2023
EmperorCaesar:
Shakespeare books no even dey here

Went to quora to read up on this and they are there arguing about mark twain, ralph emerson but for here, even achebe dey ahead of Williams shakespeare cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Shakespeare wrote plays not novels
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by sangresan(m): 3:09pm On Oct 28, 2023
Stop deceiving yourself.

There are several lists of this nature on the internet. You can only rate the books you have read.
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Suunnn(f): 3:52pm On Oct 28, 2023
Okolo3662:
1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Wow 💝
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by udede(m): 4:03pm On Oct 28, 2023
AareGaa:

Nothing dey achebe book. Na ibo people dey hype the crppled man
my comments are for human beings not you
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Neddyogu(m): 7:42pm On Oct 28, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

Do u even know my tribe or am I a citizen of England?

I never talked down on Achebe's works, I only stated what i saw on Quora and what other literary institutions think about Williams works

Not even the Greek could boast of such a great writer that can rival Williams despite their advance years of civilization over England. I would be cool with Achebe ranking by williams side but not above him

Was Shakespeare a novelist or a playwright?
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Neddyogu(m): 7:46pm On Oct 28, 2023
This list no complete oo. Where my Leon Uris and Mario Puzo?
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Atolu01: 10:16pm On Oct 28, 2023
I’ll stay with Sidney Sheldon and the Bronte’s anytime.😊

kiss kiss embarassed.
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by LongEraser: 12:06pm On Oct 29, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

Something shakespeare couldnt do for England

If u believe an Achebe books will ever be rated above that of Williams, omo, u must believe dragons once existed cheesy cheesy

Ain't you illiterate? The headline says "novels". Wetin concern a writer of plays and poetry like Shakespeare with novels? Shakespeare is known for his plays and poetry, not novel.
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by MeaslesMumpsRub: 9:20am On Oct 30, 2023
Couldntfigurean:
Award does not mean one is better than the other
Busta rhymes,nicki Minaj,2pac and snoop dogg don’t have one Grammy award,does that make macklemore better than them because he has Grammy awards?

Your small brain can’t comprehend

You go explain taya
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by djseanjohn77: 11:30am On Oct 31, 2023
Authoreety:
Achebe really did a lot in putting Nigeria 🇳🇬 in the limelight
He did his quota, so were many heroes like him.
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by MrCork: 7:36pm On Feb 07
smartmom:

Exactly my point. We posted thesame point almost simultaneously

How much are it please?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Abdulrazak Gurnah Wins 2021 Nobel Prize In Literature / That Night In My Best Friend’s Bed (18+) / Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.