Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,479 members, 7,816,132 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” (33261 Views)

Strangest Books Ever Written (photos) / List Your Top Five Greatest Books / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Fgwa: 7:25pm On Oct 27, 2023
EmperorCaesar:
Shakespeare books no even dey here

Went to quora to read up on this and they are there arguing about mark twain, ralph emerson but for here, even achebe dey ahead of Williams shakespeare cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Don't mind the Op,
nah only him know where him get him rating from.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by coputa(m): 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2023
Okolo3662:
1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
2. To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee. Hardcover book first published July 11, 1960. Novel won 1961 Pulitzer Prize. Later made into an Academy Award winning film.
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
4. One Hundred Years of Solitude Garcia Marquez, 1982.
5. A Passage to India by E.M. Forster.
6. Things Fall Apart by Chinualumogu Achebe.
7. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.
8. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.
9. Beloved by Toni Morrison
10. Mrs Dalloway by Vagina Wolf.
11. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
12. The purple color by Alice Walker.
13. Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer

1 Like

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Renman: 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2023
Airlord2030:
you suppose know this inferior tribe by now na.

nobel prize really pain them pass biafra war no be small grin grin
https://www.britannica.com/list/12-novels-considered-the-greatest-book-ever-written

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by MirrorofChrist: 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2023
There are novels by Opeyemi Ojerinde,
Life in the Veneha,
Teacher chuk,
Room 401,
Once upon a time,
My father farmland,
Etc
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by pek(m): 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2023
brain54:
I have only read about 6 from this list…

But who made them the greatest?

What was were the criteria used for selecting them and making them the greatest?

Personally I have read some really good books… some by relatively “unknown “ authors.

There are Books I would pick anytime and any day over the ones listed here as greatest…

… at least the 6 I have read from the list!

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Ewedegubbler: 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2023
Where’s uncle wole pirateyinka?

3 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by philipobiz: 7:27pm On Oct 27, 2023
I will go with The Godfather by Mario Puzo

2 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Renman: 7:27pm On Oct 27, 2023

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by rash47(m): 7:27pm On Oct 27, 2023
Can't find kola onadipe...
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by BoldBrainz(m): 7:28pm On Oct 27, 2023
ahnie:
James hardly chase no smell the list.

Lol.

James Hardley Chase? Seriously? He'll struggle to make the top 20 list of the best and most dynamic writers to have ever lived.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by enoch273: 7:28pm On Oct 27, 2023
Things fall apart was an interesting read and has earned it's spot. Meanwhile experience unrivaled sound quality with oraimo spacepods

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by ppogba: 7:28pm On Oct 27, 2023
Zeus123:
Lol......Achebe on that list is just funny.
A nigerian must have compiled that list.

Shakespeare, dostoevsky, hemminway, twain, Virginia Wolfe, Jane austen, George orwell and so many not on that list.

No shades on Achebe but come on man. For fuxk sake be serious

Your head dey there.
Hemingway' s " The old man and the sea"" amongst many of his works.

1 Like

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by bhella10: 7:29pm On Oct 27, 2023
Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer
The Charm school by NELSON DEMILLE
UP COUNTRY NELSON DEMILLE
My top 3
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by GreatAchiever1: 7:29pm On Oct 27, 2023
When it comes to reading fiction novel, I suddenly lose interest in reading.

1 Like

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by flexispy: 7:29pm On Oct 27, 2023
Tolstoy
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by seguno2: 7:29pm On Oct 27, 2023
NuCypher:
Your American and western people told you these are the greatest books every written and also made sure that the selection were nearly all their kinsmen and you too you are pushing it out there and sharing it on a Nigerian website. You should be ashamed of yourself!!

Are you not ashamed that the Nigerian website runs on technology researched, designed and continually developed by oyinbo people

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by senteugene: 7:30pm On Oct 27, 2023
That number 10 author's name get as e be
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Babysho(m): 7:30pm On Oct 27, 2023
Mustiboy:
For me, it's gotta be Native Son by Richard Wright

Native Son is a good thriller that also tackles some racial struggles in our society. The movie didn't do the book justice. It was my favourite book throughout that year that I read it despite reading Kazuo Ichiguro's Never Let Me Go.
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:30pm On Oct 27, 2023
Okolo3662:
1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
2. To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee. Hardcover book first published July 11, 1960. Novel won 1961 Pulitzer Prize. Later made into an Academy Award winning film.
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
4. One Hundred Years of Solitude Garcia Marquez, 1982.
5. A Passage to India by E.M. Forster.
6. Things Fall Apart by Chinualumogu Achebe.
7. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.
8. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.
9. Beloved by Toni Morrison
10. Mrs Dalloway by Vagina Wolf.
11. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
12. The purple color by Alice Walker.

Almost any book by Glen E. Cook beats all these books hands down!
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by 1972xy: 7:31pm On Oct 27, 2023
I give it to Things fall Apart. Any time any day.
But one thing I don't like about the book is that it transformed one of the cast into something else till today, the actor has never being himself.
The era the book depicts was pre colonial era . It is true the book gave him a recognition . But, must he has to keep on behaving as the character given him to act in the book.
Indeed the center can no longer be hold.
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by ppogba: 7:32pm On Oct 27, 2023
Ewedegubbler:
Where’s uncle wole pirateyinka?

Chukwudi, you don close for shed abi?
This argument wey you wan start pass your level oo.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by flexispy: 7:32pm On Oct 27, 2023
No dostoevsky, orwell and shakespeare he's really not a serious man I agree
Zeus123:
Lol......Achebe on that list is just funny.
A nigerian must have compiled that list.

Shakespeare, dostoevsky, hemminway, twain, Virginia Wolfe, Jane austen, George orwell and so many not on that list.

No shades on Achebe but come on man. For fuxk sake be serious

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Renman: 7:32pm On Oct 27, 2023
ppogba:

Chukwudi, you don close for shed abi?
This argument wey you wan start pass your level oo.
https://www.britannica.com/list/12-novels-considered-the-greatest-book-ever-written
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Temiii69(f): 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2023
Animal farm.

1 Like

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by kunleiky(m): 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2023
Gone with the Wind and Wuthering Heights are conspicuously missing from the list.
Also check out these works:

Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer
Chasing Tomorrow by Sidney Sheldon
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet
Origin by Dan Brown
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
She stooped to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith

Updated:
The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsythe
Angels and Demon by Dan Brown
The Godfather by Mario Puzzo
Tell me your Dreams by Sidney Sheldon

Again, Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer is an unputdownable!

Currently reading A History of Knowledge by Charles Van Doren. I think we should all drink from the wealth of knowledge of history from the book
I have collection of Carl Sagan and Isaac Asimov's works that I have not opened.
So many great literature.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Airlord2030: 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2023
Couldntfigurean:
you be cultist,na cultist you go support before na
He is your father in cultusm
achebe was so jealous of soyinka that he died of heart attack grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Theescrowguy(m): 7:34pm On Oct 27, 2023
LordIsaac:
I’ll stay with Sidney Sheldon and the Bronte’s anytime.😊

Tell me your dreams by Sydney Sheldon is a classic any day anytime

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by 1MILLIONLiGHTS(m): 7:34pm On Oct 27, 2023
1984 by George Orwell, where E dey?
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Jamieb(m): 7:34pm On Oct 27, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

Something shakespeare couldnt do for England

If u believe an Achebe books will ever be rated above that of Williams, omo, u must believe dragons once existed cheesy cheesy
Reading to reply devoid of understanding. The title clearly specified "Novels" . Mention any novel written by Shakespeare since Achebe being there is your problem. Why isn't any of the other novels a problem for ranking above "Shakespeare" even though the list isn't one Shakespeare fits in.

You all see the problem now with all these Pseudo-intellectuals

6 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by smartmom(f): 7:35pm On Oct 27, 2023
The topic reads *novels* not plays. Shakespeare and Wole Soyinka are best known as playwrights a completely different genre so let us be guided

5 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Angelfrost(m): 7:35pm On Oct 27, 2023
My personal favorites:

Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe)

Beloved (Toni Morrison)

To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee Harper)

The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

The movie adaptations for most of those books didn't do much justice to them.

1 Like

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by cktheluckyman: 7:36pm On Oct 27, 2023

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Abdulrazak Gurnah Wins 2021 Nobel Prize In Literature / That Night In My Best Friend’s Bed (18+) / Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.