Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,031 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? (15204 Views)

Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price / What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? / Mixture Of Perceptions Among Igbo, Hausa & Yoruba Tribes Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by sadiq88: 10:18am On Oct 27, 2011
What is reason behind bearing names with igbo suffixes and prefixes among igbo people?

It is generally common among the igbo people of Nigeria to bear surnames/family names that are prefixed or suffixed with the word “igbo”. Curious minds have often wondered the reasons behind this age-long culture among the igbo people of Nigeria with the population of 25 -30 million. It is interesting to note that there are 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria of which Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo are the major groups. Among other Nigerians it is rare or non-existent to see people bearing “Yoruba”, “Hausa” “Ijaw” “Ibibio” “Nupe” “kanuri” “Tiv” “Itsekri” “Anang” or words that are prefixed or suffixed with them.
Some school of thought have argued that the pattern of name may be due to PRIDE/PROUDNES or act of “patriotism” to Igbo nation or show of sense of belonging or to give the impression that they are “more Igbo” than other Igbo people.
From research (facebook) there are several thousands of people bearing the “Igbo”
The most popular Igbo-prefixed world is “Igbokwe”, according to research, there are about ten thousand or more people bearing the name.
All the name have meanings, some describing the nature Igbo people, culture, praises, allegiance, experiences. It is worthy to note that this pattern of naming became popular after the Igbo experience in Nigeria civil war. Names that came out after the war includes:

Names Meaning
Aghaerigbo Igbo people would not be consumed by war
Onwuerigbo igbo people would not be exterminated
Igboamalu igbo have learnt (may be lessons)
Igbonwelundu Igbo have a life to live
Igboanugo igbo have heard etc
Igboegbunam let my identity (Igbo) not bring persecution onto me

Even names of towns/communities are not left out in the pattern
Igbo are found predominantly in 7 states of the federation,
The names of Some of Towns/ communities in these states have Igbo prefixes or suffixes e

States Towns/communities

Anambra Igbo-Ukwu, IsiamaIgbo, Nibo

Imo AmaIgbo

Enugu OdenIgbo

Abia AmaIgbo ( a rural community about 35 minutes drive from the Town of Umuahia

Rivers ObIgbo(OyIgbo), UmuIgbo(Rumigbo), IgboEkhe, UmuecheIgbo, Iboa.

Delta IgboUzo (Ugbuzo, Ibusa), Akwukwu-Igbo.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 27, 2011
sadiq88:

What is reason behind bearing names with igbo suffixes and prefixes among igbo people?

It's just a strong sense of identity and solidarity as a people

Some school of thought have argued that the pattern of name may be due to PRIDE/PROUDNES or act of “patriotism” to Igbo nation or show of sense of belonging or to give the impression that they are “more Igbo” than other Igbo people.

Who are these Igbos that are more Igbo than others? Weak argument!
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 3:08pm On Oct 27, 2011
This is bullsh*t.What of Ijebu-Igbo,Igbomina,Igbotako and other non-Igbo towns?I even know there is Oyigbo in Lagos.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by sadiq88: 3:33pm On Oct 27, 2011
Other surnames/family names that have igbo prefixes or suffixes includes
Igboabuchi
Igbokwe
Igboanua
Igboanugo
Igboeli/ Igboeri
Igboleme/ Igboneme
Igbonekwu
Igbom
Igboka
Igbozurike/ Igbozulike
Igbodo
Igboji
Igboko
Igbojionu
Igbouanya
Igboekwe
Igbolezim
Igbomalu
Igbonaju
Igbonwa
Igbosonu
Igboabuchi
Igbogidi
Igboechi
Igboerika
IsIgbo
OluIgbo
OnuIgbo
OdenIgbo
Igbobili
Igboke
Igbojekwe
Igbonoba
Igbodu
Igboasokwu
Igbonwendu
Igbomoji
Igboamaeze
Igbobuche
Igbodika
Igbonuzue
IfeIgbo
IheIgbo
NjuIgbo
NwaIgbo
Igbonagwam
AguIgbo
ZurIgbo
Igbolike
Igboayaka
Igbokweze
Igbonu
Igboachu
Igboanugwo
Igboamalu
Igboafa
Igboabalu
Igbonla
Igboebisi
Igbosua
Igboasoiyi
Igbochuba
Igboanusi
Igboegbunam
Igboenyesi
Igbonacho
Igboaka
Igboamaekwu
Igbonaeme
Igbojiofor
Igboegwu
IherIgbo
ObidiIgbo
EzeIgbo
AghaIgbo
NjubIgbo etc ( these names and many more others can be seen on facebook)

Culled from facebook

Interesting, pls Igbo guys on this forum, can u please shade more light on this especially the meaning of the names listed above.
Thanks.
Sadiq, the historian

[quote][/quote]
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 27, 2011
^

The names are too much.

Why do you want to know the meanings of over 40 names?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by sadiq88: 4:12pm On Oct 27, 2011
mbatuku2:

^

The names are too much.

Why do you want to know the meanings of over 40 names?

i am just curious, i saw the article on facebook and culled it.

i will appreciate if can tell us the meaninings.
i am a historian, thanks
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:45pm On Oct 27, 2011
The bearing of "Igbo" names is exclusive to the Northern/Central cultural axis and groups originating from that axis. Southern groups do not bear "Igbo" in their names.

sadiq88:

Abia AmaIgbo ( a rural community about 35 minutes drive from the Town of Umuahia

Isuikwuato people. They belong to the central cultural axis.

sadiq88:

Rivers ObIgbo(OyIgbo), UmuIgbo(Rumigbo), IgboEkhe, UmuecheIgbo, Iboa.

Obigbo (Oyigbo) - A 20th century establishment by people from the North/Central cultural axis.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 27, 2011
sadiq88:

i am just curious, i saw the article on facebook and culled it.

i will appreciate if can tell us the meaninings.
i am a historian, thanks

Let me just give you the first 5. Make sure you send the cheque for them. grin

Igboabuchi- Igbo(or the community) is not greater than God

Igbokwe- Igbo has agreed on this

Igboanua- Igbo has heard

Igboanugo= Igboanua

Igboeli/ Igboeri- Igbo is enjoying life

Igboleme/ Igboneme- Igbo is making great strides
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:03pm On Oct 27, 2011
Igboekhe is actually Igbo-Etche. Also, people should avoid making the mistake of connecting Umuigbo (Rumuigbo), Igbo-Etche (low high tone) with "Igbo" (low low tone).
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 6:31pm On Oct 27, 2011
ChinenyeN:

The bearing of "Igbo" names is exclusive to the Northern/Central cultural axis and groups originating from that axis. Southern groups do not bear "Igbo" in their names.

Obigbo (Oyigbo) - A 20th century establishment by people from the North/Central cultural axis.

It is not exclusive to only one part of Igboland.There is Igbokwe in Etche and Ikwerre that I know of.There is also Osuigbo in Ikwerre as well as Oluigbo.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by sadiq88: 6:33pm On Oct 27, 2011
thank u chineye and mbatuku for ur imput

pls mbatiuku, could shed more light on the reasons why people bear names prifixed or suffixed with the word "-igbo-"?

thanks
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:34pm On Oct 27, 2011
That word Igbo is a very strong word that shows allegiance and solidarity. I trully believe that Igbo is a race rather than a mere tribe. Igbo language has numerious dialects within it. I can barely understand an mbaise man properly,yet we are  Igbos and he can understand my Idemmili dialect very well without difficulties. Back to topic. OP, Igbos hold that word "IGBO" in high esteem,hence the constant need to associate oneself with the GREATNESS of its name. I think thats one of the reasons why alots of Igbo names and town has Igbo preffix and suffix.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:39pm On Oct 27, 2011
Abagworo:

It is not exclusive to only one part of Igboland.There is Igbokwe in Etche and Ikwerre that I know of.There is also Osuigbo in Ikwerre as well as Oluigbo.
Maybe I should have been more explicit and said, "Traditionally, southern groups do not bear 'Igbo'".
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 6:40pm On Oct 27, 2011
@chinenye.This man from Etche contested for an election in Rivers State.

http://candidates.nigeriaelections.org/candidate/profile/candidate/3764/me/nwuzi-chief-ambrose-igbokwe/
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 6:45pm On Oct 27, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Maybe I should have been more explicit and said, "Traditionally, southern groups do not bear 'Igbo'".

No.Those surnames are more than 100 years old.Infact I know an Ikwerre that changed their Igbokwe family name to Wali in 1970.So what we have is more of retaining an ancient surname.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by marcus1234: 6:53pm On Oct 27, 2011
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:55pm On Oct 27, 2011
I've actually had this "Igbo" name discussion with my father, uncles, and elders in our cultural association (which includes people from Mbaise, Asa, Ngwa, Ndoki, and Etche) and they were explicit in what they said about those names not being traditional names in these areas.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by eghost247(m): 6:57pm On Oct 27, 2011
like one poster said sense of identity perhaps
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by http(m): 7:12pm On Oct 27, 2011
Igbo Kwenu! Hee!
Igbo Kwenu Heee!!
Igbo Kwezuenu Heeeeeee!!!

Nigeria Kwenu! Heee!
Biafra Kwenu! Heeeee!! grin grin grin
Yoruba Kwenu ,  angry angry angry

I know say Una hate u, but wetin una fit do na undecided
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by freecocoa(f): 7:44pm On Oct 27, 2011
[quote author=htt

[quote][/quote] Who hate you?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 27, 2011
Talk about derailing thread. Not even more than two persons have elaborated on the OP's question so please let us keep the topic of who bears which name for later.

OP, you partially answered your question.Even though such names have existed for centuries before the war, after the war, many Igbos went underground and some like the southern Igbos were even rejecting their heritage. The addition of Igbo to names then all of a sudden started becoming popular partially because, Igbos needed to bind together again to reassure themselves of their existence as one great Igbo nation since the war was threatening to divide Igbos. Along the road as the years went by and Igbos started regaining their strenght both economically and as a people, this sense of reassurance became sense of pride to the extent that Igbos would want to flaunt their igboness at any given opportunity. It is also more like a way to tell Nigeria ''in your face'',  ''your plan never materialised'' and ''you failed woefully'' Get me.

N.B. Igbos are more than 40 million in population.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by tpia5: 7:49pm On Oct 27, 2011
suffixes and prefixes are generally used to "place" people ie based on familial ties and cultural/occupational/deity affiliation, but nowadays many of the actual contexts arent known.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by sadiq88: 8:04pm On Oct 27, 2011
thanks to those that have contributed so far.

can some of these names mean negative things with regard to igbo people?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by http(m): 8:08pm On Oct 27, 2011
freecocoa:

[quote author=htt

Who hate you?

you grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ak47mann(m): 8:10pm On Oct 27, 2011
freecocoa:

[quote author=htt

I know say Una hate u,  but wetin una fit do na undecided
Who hate you?

nne amaghim na ibu Chelsea fan  cheesy cheesy cheesy

bandit you hit a very good point there cool cool
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by sadiq88: 8:21pm On Oct 27, 2011
can someone translate these names i saw in facebook
igbokibe
igbozurukeme
igboasoanya
igbojiuba
igbojekwe

thanks
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Librate(m): 8:27pm On Oct 27, 2011
even my name is igboemekaigboumunna ;d
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ak47mann(m): 8:33pm On Oct 27, 2011
sadiq88:

can someone translate these names i saw in facebook
igbokibe
igbozurukeme
igboasoanya
igbojiuba
igbojekwe

thanks
igbobuike=igbo is my strength
igbozurukaeme= igbo s are up to task
igboasonaya= igbo s with no fear
igbojiuba= igbo s have wealth
igbojekwe=igbos move forward
cool cool
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by chmod777: 8:38pm On Oct 27, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Please Chinenye, and other Igbo people in this house , I am curious to know
1. The meaning of Chinenye
2. What language do Etche,Oyigbo, Ikwere people speak

3. Is Ikwere the name of a community or a tribe. I am sure there is no community in Nigeria called Housa, Yoruba, Ijaw, Igbo Idoma, but I want to clearly understand that of Ikwere

Be sincere and objective with sound analytical and sincere mind cos I am taken it somewhere.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by noiseless: 8:41pm On Oct 27, 2011
And what exactly could that be?
sadiq88:

thanks to those that have contributed so far.

can some of these names mean negative things with regard to igbo people?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by sadiq88: 8:56pm On Oct 27, 2011
thanks fo the contributions

noiseless:

And what exactly could that be?

u know most of the names means praising igbo people

i am just asking whether it is possible to see people bearing names preffixed or suffixed with igbo whose manings may not be favourable? just curious
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ak47mann(m): 9:01pm On Oct 27, 2011
sadiq88:

thanks fo the contributions

u know most of the names means praising igbo people

i am just asking whether it is possible to see people bearing names preffixed or suffixed with igbo whose manings may not be favourable? just curious
not praising igbo people undecided most igbos have chukwu in their names, and that means GOD

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ijaws: Nigeria's Largest Ethnic Group - Wikipedia / Can Any Nigerian Man Look Like This Man (Pics Included) / Igbira Women, What About Them?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.