Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,566 members, 7,812,836 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally (28075 Views)

WACOT To Manage, Operate 32-metric Tons Imota Rice Mill For Lagos State / Two Million Metric Tons Of Rice Smuggled Into Nigeria Annually - Senate Committe / Since When Has Chicken And Rice Become The National Dish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by me69: 9:33pm On Nov 15, 2023
They will make farmers bankrupt and collapse agriculture in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Tayorshd87: 9:34pm On Nov 15, 2023
Bobloco:
What happened to our “world's largest rice pyramids,” made with a million bags of rice, by the last Administration

What happened to the CBN anchor borrowers programme

Our population is causing or making those things not enough for us. That's why they want to do another census to know.how to plan ahead again....

What we have is not enough for our population I guess that's d simplest explanation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Zeebuy: 9:42pm On Nov 15, 2023
DeLaRue:

So it's the leaders that are to blame again for the obsessive consumption of rice in this country.

The last government through the CBN spent billions trying to improve rice cultivation, but to no avail.

Many of the challenges the country face are because of us, the people.

Yes, blame the people for eating rice. Very soon you'll blame us for breathing instead of just dying

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Kukutente23: 9:44pm On Nov 15, 2023
pobosky20:
Shame on our local rice producers,they failed everyone. An opportunity presented itself and they couldn't take advantage of it to remain top. Nonsense!
The problem is always our politicians who are only interested in splashing money without results.
How many of those who claimed to be rice farmers were really farmers? The few they captured only got 2 sacks of fertiliser and knapsack. The rest of the money was looted

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Mrbenny001: 9:45pm On Nov 15, 2023
post=126988457:
Let us plant our own rice.

But wait o,
The last time we did that, did Nigerians buy it?

Charity begins at home
Did So people should start eating stones in the name of local rice.. even d stone rice do you know how much it's cost
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Boldideas: 9:46pm On Nov 15, 2023
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by ican2020: 9:46pm On Nov 15, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:
Tinubu is leading us to the promiseland...
insha allah we thank God we dodged the bullet Peter Obi and landed on the nuclear bomb Tinubu grin
Are you sure you understood the topic

Dundy everywhere
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by BreakingNews21: 9:48pm On Nov 15, 2023
Good riddens Emefiele.

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by goaldynboy: 9:53pm On Nov 15, 2023
Where is the rice pyramid Buhari and APC were deceiving Nigeria with?
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Karleb(m): 10:04pm On Nov 15, 2023
rickleye:

How is it cheaper ? Don’t we have the land, climate and even population that eat rice as staple food ?

Since Buhari, a buck of the rice Nigerian has been consuming has been the local rice. We can all testify to how expensive the are compared to Thai rice we were used to.

The local rice are produced in the north and the rice mills do not have adequate resources to produce en mass like in Thailand. If you check the internet, you'd see videos of northerners beating rice to shell it. cheesy

Also, they are affected by the Fulani herdsmen and the terrible economy. For example, they need fuel to run, some other materials are also needed in rice production that are now expensive and these has to be included in the cost of production.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Eriggs: 10:11pm On Nov 15, 2023
November24:

Don't be foolish sir.
Everything isn't politics
Have some respect
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by naturefellow(m): 10:23pm On Nov 15, 2023
Top buyer. Or top producer? Is this a typo? I'm confused.
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 15, 2023
HenryWilliams:

What happens to the local rice farmers?
The ones govt banned foreign rice for?
The ones that produce low quality rice that's more expensive than imported rice.
Isn't this a failure of the rice ban?
You banned imported rice to make locally processed ones thrive. They failed to deliver and made rice over 60k per 50kg. Something that was 9k several years back.
local farmers formed a cabal and extorted Nigerians mercilessly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by nonhuman(m): 10:46pm On Nov 15, 2023
post=126988457:

But wait o,

Charity begins at home
so you have been eating rice all these while
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by loswhite(m): 10:48pm On Nov 15, 2023
HenryWilliams:

What happens to the local rice farmers?
The ones govt banned foreign rice for?
The ones that produce low quality rice that's more expensive than imported rice.
Isn't this a failure of the rice ban?
You banned imported rice to make locally processed ones thrive. They failed to deliver and made rice over 60k per 50kg. Something that was 9k several years back.
They were interested in destroying and starving the country just to benefit Buharis family members
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Sirianese: 11:00pm On Nov 15, 2023

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by truthhurtsnaira: 11:03pm On Nov 15, 2023
NIGGER Area
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Sirianese: 11:05pm On Nov 15, 2023
MANNABBQGRlLLS:

But wait o,

Charity begins at home

You even got seun to create a special script for your own mentions..

It shall never be well with you, mark my words

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by emorse(m): 11:30pm On Nov 15, 2023
nairalanda1:

cheesy

Here is the honest truth, we can never be the largest producer of rice, unless

1. We have the climate and weather of a Brazil or Thailand

Or

2. We do massive irrigation and irrigation

No matter how much we try we can't compete with Brazil and Thailand in rice production
But do we need to compete with those countries? I think we only need to produce enough to feed ourselves.
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Bluntemperor: 11:44pm On Nov 15, 2023
Bobloco:
What happened to our “world's largest rice pyramids,” made with a million bags of rice, by the last Administration
What happened to the CBN anchor borrowers programme

What Nigerians wants is Food, Supplies of Foods,at reduced Prices that Inflation is eating into the Masses -Money and Savings!
We are not Producing Enough Rice and other Foodstuffs because of activities of Criminals like Bokoharam, Kidnappers, Terrorists, Herdsmen, across Nigeria, especially in the Northern parts, and across the Borders.
Most of these Wicked Activities are self inflicted by the Citizens,who compromises their Father's Land because of Political affiliations, Corruption and Money!
Many Farmers can not go to their Farmlands in peace and the end results is Food-shortages!
Solutions:
- Temporarily,say the next 2 to 3-yrs,we should allow Importations to fill in the Gap of the Shortfalls!
- Long term Approaches-
•Govt should Restore the Security to ALL the nooks and crannies of Nigeria and we shall all have more than enough Food , even for Exports!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by rickleye: 11:46pm On Nov 15, 2023
Karleb:

Since Buhari, a buck of the rice Nigerian has been consuming has been the local rice. We can all testify to how expensive the are compared to Thai rice we were used to.

The local rice are produced in the north and the rice mills do not have adequate resources to produce en mass like in Thailand. If you check the internet, you'd see videos of northerners beating rice to shell it. cheesy

Also, they are affected by the Fulani herdsmen and the terrible economy. For example, they need fuel to run, some other materials are also needed in rice production that are now expensive and these has to be included in the cost of production.

I agree rice from poorer countries like Thailand might be competitive but for us to import that amount . What happened from this policy

https://www.globaltradealert.org/intervention/102340/import-ban/nigeria-government-bans-the-import-of-rice-through-sea-ports#:~:text=On%2020%20January%202022%2C%20the,through%20land%20borders%20in%202016.
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by victooman: 12:13am On Nov 16, 2023
TruthinAction:
Nigeria is a joke. The more we keep importing virtually everything, the more our Naira looses its value.
Go and sit down abeg,, all this while we have not been importing how have the so called naira skyrocketed in value,, that you did not see anything wrong with buhari scam of local rice production shows how some of you sound intelligent but knows nothing in real life

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by nedekid: 12:13am On Nov 16, 2023
Haba, how come? What about the pyramid of rice we saw under Apcs buhari?
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by nedekid: 12:16am On Nov 16, 2023
post=126988457:

But wait o,

Charity begins at home
You ought to chew your tie.
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by victooman: 12:25am On Nov 16, 2023
Yankee101:
And kill the business of all those that invested locally in rice production

To think someone will be worse than buhari in leading Nigeria is unimaginable
let those business die,, greedy fellows,, for almost 10yrs Nigerians starve and suffer to let local farmers grow and feed the nation , what did we get in return? exploitation with silly excuses,, if the so called business investors can not handle competition they should fold up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by victooman: 12:27am On Nov 16, 2023
BenuePolitician:
Meanwhile the previous administration Led by President Buhari, banned the importation of rice in order to develop Local rice production. Why in God's name is the present administration making a mockery of Governmental powers when we have states with proven agricultural prowess (Benue ) capable of producing all the rice necessary to feed all Nigerians and also export angry
why didn't they do it in the past 9yrs?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Karleb(m): 12:29am On Nov 16, 2023
rickleye:

I agree rice from poorer countries like Thailand might be competitive but for us to import that amount . What happened from this policy

https://www.globaltradealert.org/intervention/102340/import-ban/nigeria-government-bans-the-import-of-rice-through-sea-ports#:~:text=On%2020%20January%202022%2C%20the,through%20land%20borders%20in%202016.

It was made by Buhari. Tinubu has the power now.

Try to take whatever news you get from this administration with a pinch of salt. They might eventually not import any rice.
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by sulaak(m): 12:54am On Nov 16, 2023
Karleb:
It is honestly better and cheaper than producing.

Don't even say it will affect forex because when we were importing our rice jejely before buhari, the naira was stronger.

That is because the country was selling 2 million barrels at $100. A country that can't feed its people is doom to failure
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by seguno2: 1:11am On Nov 16, 2023
Jking20:
It's a pity, shame on our brainless leaders.

Are they allowed to emerge from among us, who are also brainless masses
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by seguno2: 1:18am On Nov 16, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:
Tinubu is leading us to the promiseland...
insha allah we thank God we dodged the bullet Peter Obi and landed on the nuclear bomb Tinubu grin

Peter Obi’s desperate abandonment of capitalist PDP for the communist labourers of LP, when he had no path to victory, helped Tinubu win the election.

Soludo: Peter Obi Knows That He Can’t And Won’t Win

Chukwuma Soludo, governor of Anambra, says Peter Obi, presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), will not win in the 2023 general election.

Soludo said this on Monday in an article titled ‘History Beckons and I Will Not Be Silent (Part 1)’.

“Let’s be clear: Peter Obi knows that he can’t and won’t win. He knows the game he is playing, and we know too; and he knows that we know,” the article reads in part.

“The game he is playing is the main reason he didn’t return to APGA. The brutal truth (and some will say, God forbid) is that there are two persons/parties seriously contesting for president: the rest is exciting drama!

“That many Americans may not like the fact that Joe Biden (79 years) and Donald Trump (76 years) are two frontrunners for president in their parties does not remove the fact that if both of them emerge as candidates, definitely one of them will be president in 2024.

“As my brother, I wish him well and even pray for him. I told him during his courtesy call that my prayer is that himself or Prof Umeadi of APGA would win, why not?

“That is from my heart, but I also told him that my head and facts on the ground led me to know that it’s probability is next to zero (what I cannot say before you, I won’t say behind you).

“So I already told him my opinion. Indeed, there is no credible pathway for him near the first two positions, and if care is not taken, he won’t even near the third position.”

https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-peter-obi-knows-that-he-cant-and-wont-win-says-soludo/
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Juju70(m): 1:28am On Nov 16, 2023
Hehehehe nonsense and APC. abeg make I go dust my import license

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Saraki Fails To Stop Trial: Set To Be Arraigned Today / Ibom Deep Sea Port: Udom Emmanuel To Sign Deal With China (Pics) / Catholic Bishops Of South Africa Respond To Xenophobic Attacks In Honest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.