Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,292 members, 7,829,664 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally (28120 Views)

WACOT To Manage, Operate 32-metric Tons Imota Rice Mill For Lagos State / Two Million Metric Tons Of Rice Smuggled Into Nigeria Annually - Senate Committe / Since When Has Chicken And Rice Become The National Dish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by pendragonbladgo(m): 9:05am On Nov 16, 2023
After Buhari Na Tinubu

After Tinubu na Wike

After Wike na Shetima

After Shetima na Kwakwoso

After Kwakwoso Na Yahaya Bello

Please what is going wrong on my Head?
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by caye(m): 9:09am On Nov 16, 2023
nairalanda1:

Seriously I doubt we can achieve self sufficiency in rice production.

Thailand and Brazil are already producing so much rice, it is even cheaper to import their rice than produce ours.

I hope you know that in nearest future, you will be eating GMO/ Monsanto / Bill_Gates rice; leading to many human diseases, leading to population death .

Then the aim of the WEF ( World Economic Forum); a strong arm of pink -skinned supremacy, will be finally achieved.

But The Most High is stronger than the enslaver and their house nieggers.
God will bring a deliverance to us, from us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by millhouse: 9:23am On Nov 16, 2023
And they want the naira to stabilize. Jokers
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by lexylaw40: 9:54am On Nov 16, 2023
millhouse:
And they want the naira to stabilize. Jokers
it doesn't necessarily affect the value of the Naira
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by luckyz4rea(m): 10:50am On Nov 16, 2023
grandstar:

There is nothing wrong in importation. It is actually good for an economy.

Nigeria imports rice principally because the country lacks competitive advantage in the production of rice. That means rice produced here will be sold higher than the international price. Because of this, government placed high tariff walls to deter importation or for be imported rice more expensive than the locally made one.

Economies flourish when they invest in things they have competitive or comparative advantage in or what I would call their calling.

Nigeria should instead focus on products like cashew nuts, shea butter, avocado and a host of others. Cambodia with a population barely a 10th of Nigeria produces 700,000 mt of cashew annually while Nigeria produces 100,000mt

Shea butter alone can bring the country as much as $2bn annually from its export. This will more than cover all the rice imported into the country.

This is the kind of conversation I like to exchange! You are not out of place at all, but if you look at the percentage of rice consumers with regards to countries, Nigeria is one of the biggest consumers in the world.

We do not necessarily have to export but make it available to Nigerians first for food security before thinking of selling to other countries hence the need to engage in such production.

Countries we are importing from first ensure it’s easy availability to citizens before they start exporting. If we produce it, I do not think it will be as expensive as it is to Nigerians now.
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by wanimo: 10:51am On Nov 16, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:
Tinubu is leading us to the promiseland...
insha allah we thank God we dodged the bullet Peter Obi and landed on the nuclear bomb Tinubu grin
Nigeria becoming the world top importer of rice is what you are celebrating??

It's obvious that Baba druggie's supporters don't have any single sense

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Xxxxtentacion2: 10:57am On Nov 16, 2023
wanimo:
Nigeria becoming the world top importer of rice is what you are celebrating??

It's obvious that Baba druggie's supporters don't have any single sense
read my post very well .... you did not get the sacarsm
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by coputa(m): 11:40am On Nov 16, 2023
The agricultural loans given to farmers for rice cultivation to increase local production, what was it used for
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by PoliteActivist: 12:50pm On Nov 16, 2023
donbrowser:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/farmer-hails-cbn-for-lifting-forex-ban-on-rice-importation/%3famp

Exactly. Nigeria should be striving to be net exporter, instead they are highest importer. Tell me how any sane person can see it's a bad thing, a very bad thing!
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by PoliteActivist: 12:56pm On Nov 16, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:
read my post very well .... you did not get the sacarsm

Your sarcasm is very hard to get. A forum like this is NOT where to use sarcasm. People read in a rush and often only read the first sentence. I have written very obvious sarcasms that people still missed.
You've learnt your lesson - a forum like this is NOT where you use sarcasm
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by millhouse: 1:03pm On Nov 16, 2023
lexylaw40:
it doesn't necessarily affect the value of the Naira
really ? Importation of vehicles - ‘ it doesn’t affect the value of the naira’

Rice importation - “ it doesn’t affect the value of naira “

Importation of steel- “ it doesn’t affect the value of the naira they say”

Import this import that - “ it doesn’t affect the value of the naira ‘
Yet there is constant pressure to buy scarce dollars to import goods .

Oya Oga tell us what affects the value of the naira
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Leo588(m): 1:30pm On Nov 16, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:
Tinubu is leading us to the promiseland...
insha allah we thank God we dodged the bullet Peter Obi and landed on the nuclear bomb Tinubu grin

NEXT TIME USE YOUR BRAIN NOT YOUR FINGERS.

Children section is best for you
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Floky215: 1:42pm On Nov 16, 2023
Zonefree:
So, what happened to Buhari's rice pyramid? undecided

That rice pyramid is the greatest scam in Africa.

Forget bro...nah kpatako/wood dem carry construct the pyramid then, lace am with bag of rice they bought from chinedu shop on the surface...!!! grin
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by grandstar(m): 7:17pm On Nov 16, 2023
lexylaw40:
are you happy with the way the north is dominating food production in Nigeria by using their cows to come destroy every farm in the South plus the brutal killing of the southern farmers. And moreover the little rice they are able to produce is simply not enough for over 250 million Nigerians. Causing food inflation

Also, the North is not promoting or supporting the destruction of agriculture in the South by encouraging Fulani herdsmen to destroy crops.

What caused the rise of Fulani bandits was the killings of the cattle they owned by Hausa farmers angered that they grazed on their crops. The problem in the North is actually worse than in the South. The Fulani bandits arose to fight against at Hausa farmers

Here, our primary problem is fulani herdsmen. Theirs is both herdsmen and heartless bandits.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by basseeafricana: 7:29pm On Nov 16, 2023
HenryWilliams:

What happens to the local rice farmers?
The ones govt banned foreign rice for?
The ones that produce low quality rice that's more expensive than imported rice.
Isn't this a failure of the rice ban?
You banned imported rice to make locally processed ones thrive. They failed to deliver and made rice over 60k per 50kg. Something that was 9k several years back.
Local rich are more than armed robbers. They put Buhari's good plan to dustbin. To me, I like rice import. We did it during Jonathan and Obj and it worked. Local rice farmers are useless
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by TruthinAction: 10:22pm On Nov 16, 2023
victooman:
Go and sit down abeg,, all this while we have not been importing how have the so called naira skyrocketed in value,, that you did not see anything wrong with buhari scam of local rice production shows how some of you sound intelligent but knows nothing in real life

I never supported Buhari for stopping rice importation. I also don't support this government for importing rice. Both Buhari and Tinubu have failed.

What the present government should have done is to consult experts on how we can increase rice production through mechanized farming such that the final cost will reduce.

Our leaders are simply mentally lazy. They just love the easy way out.

Malaysia government came to Nigeria to take our Palm kernel fruit. Right now, they are one of the greatest exporter of palm oil.

We import Keke aka tricycle in millions and make India very rich. Can't we produce them?

I can list hundreds of items we import that we should be able to produce. I hope you get my point.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by lexylaw40: 6:25pm On Nov 17, 2023
Nice one
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by lexylaw40: 9:12am On Nov 18, 2023
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by Thinktwicemybro: 12:22pm On Nov 19, 2023
Eriggs:
dat is for u and all ur family members, so shall it be for u and ur household. Before d end of dis year, so shall ur words be for u, not for nairaland members. U get wat u ask for in life. Mark dis down
Today is Sunday, were you able to afford rice? Am currently eating rice by the way.
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by lexylaw40: 1:04pm On Nov 19, 2023
millhouse:
really ? Importation of vehicles - ‘ it doesn’t affect the value of the naira’

Rice importation - “ it doesn’t affect the value of naira “

Importation of steel- “ it doesn’t affect the value of the naira they say”

Import this import that - “ it doesn’t affect the value of the naira ‘
Yet there is constant pressure to buy scarce dollars to import goods .

Oya Oga tell us what affects the value of the naira
what I'm saying is that we will start to export refined petroleum products very soon which will fetch us more forex and data in turn will mitigate the effect of rice importation on Forex
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by NLPoliceWoman: 4:09pm On Nov 21, 2023
RTR
Re: Nigeria To Import 2.1 Million Metric Tons Of Rice, Become Top Buyer Globally by lexylaw40: 7:59am On Nov 22, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Governors At Presidential Inauguration In Niger Republic (pix) / With Tinubu’s Visit, Wike Has Officially Joined APC, Says PDP PCC / PDP’s $3m Per State Cash-For-Vote Plot Revealed - The Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.