Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,072 members, 7,821,678 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? (4803 Views)

How Do I Deal With This Dirty-Playing Competitor Of Mine? / Dangote, Otedola Behind Secret Police Harassment Of Oil Marketers And Competitor / How To Study Your Customers And Serve Them Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by leMuhito(f): 9:11am On Oct 28, 2011
My answer would have been NO if it’s possible to know what’s going on at their end too but since I can’t then my answer is YES!!!

What’s your take?
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by kodewrita(m): 9:34am On Oct 28, 2011
Tres Ethical. Deeply ethical.

There's nothing wrong about studying their strategy but invading their privacy to learn about their detailed company information or any other form of espionage is unethical.

Studying their actions to find out their strategy is ethical. bribing their staff to tell you is not.

talking to their suppliers is ok. compromising their suppliers with promises or gifts is not.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Rgp92: 5:08pm On Oct 28, 2011
No. lol, why would it be?
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Afam4eva(m): 5:16pm On Oct 28, 2011
It's very ethical. Infact that's one of the most important business strategies. If you competitors are using a particular marketing strategy and it's working for them, it's common sense that you also incorporate it into your own business as well.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by NET1(m): 5:18pm On Oct 28, 2011
afam4eva:

It's very ethical. Infact that's one of the most important business strategies. If you competitors are using a particular marketing strategy and it's working for them, it's common sense that you also incorporate it into your own business as well.

perfectly said!
meanwhile, afam4eva, your site looks neater and better than it was the last time I checked on it. kudos!

.NET
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by MarcAnthon(m): 5:28pm On Oct 28, 2011
What else are u supposed to be studying? Why the chicken crossed the road? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by lagcity(m): 5:51pm On Oct 28, 2011
oooh that word! ETHICS. What does it even mean? one of those words that everyone has opinion on and can disagree on. The answer to your question is NO. unless you want to fail in business.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by manny4life(m): 6:00pm On Oct 28, 2011
Is it legal? YES, Is it Ethical, YES and NO. There's a fine line between studying the model and at all means trying to adopt the model. Whatever approach you decide, depends on how ethics apply. It's ok to study it, however, I'm not certain but there are certain antitrust laws that bars such actions.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by tlops(m): 6:00pm On Oct 28, 2011
it is ethical, that is the purpose of ethics, u get that?
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:08pm On Oct 28, 2011
MarcAnthon:

What else are u supposed to be studying? Why the chicken crossed the road? cheesy cheesy cheesy

No what you should be studying is who else among the crowd framed Roger Rabbit. the chicken was just a diversion. the more important question is - who has enough cedis to pay the chicken to cross the road. hmmmn grin grin grin
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Jarus(m): 6:10pm On Oct 28, 2011
Very ethical.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by RexyDon(m): 6:13pm On Oct 28, 2011
It's ethical indeed,
kodewrita:

There's nothing wrong about studying their strategy but invading their privacy to learn about their detailed company information or any other form of espionage is unethical.

Studying their actions to find out their strategy is ethical. bribing their staff to tell you is not.

talking to their suppliers is ok. compromising their suppliers with promises or gifts is not.

Mostly candid!
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by MarcAnthon(m): 6:37pm On Oct 28, 2011
No what you should be studying is who else among the crowd framed Roger Rabbit. the chicken was just a diversion. the more important question is - who has enough cedis to pay the chicken to cross the road. hmmmn.
grin grin grin
No mind the guy. How else do u remain competitive in today's market if u ignore what ur competitors are doing?
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Mcleo007(m): 6:51pm On Oct 28, 2011
@op, provided u apply prudence and caution, its ok.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Olaone1: 6:53pm On Oct 28, 2011
Competitive Intelligence!

And, Competitive Intelligence is the core of Competitive Strategy.

It is important but care must be taken.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 28, 2011
if its not corporate espionage, why not?

thats how businesses grow.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Shola2009(m): 8:00pm On Oct 28, 2011
It's a necessity oo . . . in order to figure out their strengths and weaknesses,while trying to improve your organization's competitive advantage. As most people have already said,any form of espionage or mago-mago . . hehe ,is unethical.That simple.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by marcus1234: 8:23pm On Oct 28, 2011
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by sgabriel: 8:49pm On Oct 28, 2011
There is totally nothing wrong with sturding your competitors strategies, beleive me, bussiness is more like warfare,u should always be able to predict ur competitors next move.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by shadowmay(m): 9:06pm On Oct 28, 2011
not only is it ethical it is very necessary if you want to remain relevant in the industry. In-fact facebook just recently added the ticker box that mimics twitter TL and groups an idea they openly stole from google+
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by iaabc(f): 9:17pm On Oct 28, 2011
i am not even sure ethics come into this. its more like using common sense. if their strategy is legal and its working, you would be an unserious business person if you didn't try to apply the formula to your own biz as long as there's no espionage and corrupting involved.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Ndipe(m): 9:54pm On Oct 28, 2011
Very good question, I used to ask myself this same question on job assignments.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Oct 28, 2011
Yes. It's called Winning.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by makonko(m): 10:44pm On Oct 28, 2011
Art of war
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Ladytemi(f): 11:13pm On Oct 28, 2011
If you don't study the competition how do you know what you're up against. Study away.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by VoodooDoll(m): 11:21pm On Oct 28, 2011
It is ethical and in fact a must.

Can you go into a boxing match blindfolded?
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Gbenge77(m): 1:14am On Oct 29, 2011
affirmative.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by DisGuy: 1:32am On Oct 29, 2011
You think the phrase Case Study was invented by a pastor?
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by blackgucci(m): 2:04am On Oct 29, 2011
Look @ it this way, how can you compete without knowing what you are up against? Its insane not to study you competitors strategy!
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by Nymphnode(m): 6:04am On Oct 29, 2011
Copy and tweak it some more to make them wonder if the idea was originally theirs to start with.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by tollu: 6:24am On Oct 29, 2011
Not only is it ethical, it is VITAL to the growth and survival of your business.
If an organisation doesn't have competitors studying it, then you are really on a long thing.
Re: Is It Ethical To Study Your Competitor’s Strategies? by nku5: 6:32am On Oct 29, 2011
kodewrita:

I have nothing left to say

(1) (2) (Reply)

Paid Into A Wrong Bank Account / How I Made $840 Online With Amazon, Clickbank And Adsense Step-by-step / CBN Mandates IFIS To Increase Agent Network To 150,000 By 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.