Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,173 members, 7,815,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad (29769 Views)

Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad / Top Mistakes To Avoid During A Visa Interview / Man Wears All His Clothes At The Airport To Avoid British Airways Luggage Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by uche87(m): 4:26am On Nov 19, 2023
As President Tinubu continues the full experimentation of his ‘weight loss programme’ on Nigerians, those abroad are also feeling the heat. In the past couple of months, the practice of begging people for financial favours known by the local parlance as ‘billing’ has increased astronomically. While there are no official statistics to back the level of increase, I have decided to explain how to stay safe amid billing darts flying in the sky like Israeli missiles.

Sit down, grab a bottle of coke and some popcorn, let’s roll!

(1) Controlled usage of social media:

When you are new abroad, the initial fever of taking pictures, making videos, and sharing them on social media hits you. It is a normal feeling but you need to control it. These contents are usually misleading in the sense that they give people the impression that you are ‘balling’. As soon as they become broke, they will put your phone number on speed dial because they believe you now have the financial muscle to shoulder it. The less information they have about your progress, the lesser their faith in you to support them financially.

(2) First Attack:

Attack is the best form of defense, they say. When you sense someone is trying to ask you for money, you could go into protective mode. You do this by either complaining bitterly to the person about your financial challenges or even asking the person directly for help. This is like when you throw a good jab to distort the rhythm of your opponent in boxing. This strategy was in vogue during my first-degree days in O.A.U.

(3) Be Truthful:

Life abroad isn’t easy. Like I always say, “the pictures don’t tell the full story”. Don’t let your family and friends get lost in the beautiful pictures you share on social media about your life outside Nigeria. Fully orientate them about the financial pressure that living abroad entails. This prevents the reasonable ones from over-relying on you.

(4) Personal Information Management:

Learn to keep your big news to yourself. You bought a house, stay quiet; you bought a car, moved house, went on holiday, got promoted, bought designer shoes & clothes - keep them secret. Always control the excitement to share the news with the outside world because, in the real sense, nobody really cares. Remember there is always a price to pay for any information you share about yourself, be it good or bad. China knows this and this is why they are ever gathering information and restricting what people know.

(5) Measured Conversations:

When you are conversing with someone who could potentially ask you for money, even when they are not in actual need of it, it is better to keep the conversation short and structured. This gives the conversation direction and purpose. It also gives you the room to control it, before the other party sneaks in a cheeky demand.

(6) Total Blackout:

When all the above strategies fail, the inevitable is the ‘total blackout’ technique. Some people will never stop making demands regardless of how often you support them. The Total Blackout approach might entail you blocking the regular ‘biller’, deleting their phone numbers, deactivating your social media accounts, or changing your phone numbers.

I know God blesses a cheerful giver. But if you decide to initiate a transfer of money for every ‘touching’ story you hear from Nigeria, your life might end up being the next touching story.

If one of the richest rappers in the world - Jay-Z (worth S2.5 billion) could purportedly rebuff the loan request of his cousin who asked him for S4800, then who are you to attempt to meet all demands?

Written by Osahon George Osayimwen

122 Likes 14 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by adesegun121(m): 4:46am On Nov 19, 2023
Dey play

If Those In Abroad Are Scared To Send Fund (Show Them this ) >> https://www.nairaland.com/6951470/those-abroad-scared-send-fund

1 Like

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by Tjra: 5:44am On Nov 19, 2023
Abroad don cast.

When we were little, those abroad build Duplexes and send cars back home like it's nothing.

Make your Uncle enter Yankee or Germany, before 2 years dollars and Deutsche mark (before they adopted Euro) respectively don dey flow.

Nowadays, na abroad people dey tax those at home.

127 Likes 18 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by Onyeka90210(m): 5:45am On Nov 19, 2023
Hmmm
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by wanimo: 5:45am On Nov 19, 2023
I know someone who spends 90% of his online time defending the Aso Rock Baba druggie on Nairaland, and uses the remaining 10% online time to beg people for financial support citing hunger and deprivation.

Agbado miscreants won't be happy about this thread.

109 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by ecolime(m): 5:46am On Nov 19, 2023
Bill who?

Those wey still dey find school fees?

62 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by TheFreshVanilla: 5:46am On Nov 19, 2023
You can only reduce it. If you completely avoid billing from your brothers and sisters, you're a useless fellow.

141 Likes 14 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by Emmacolinho(m): 5:47am On Nov 19, 2023
If u like no use phone Dem go still find way bill you

9 Likes

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by owolabi5: 5:47am On Nov 19, 2023
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by silifat11(m): 5:47am On Nov 19, 2023
Hmmn.. that's the truth. Moreover, it's not even reasonable seeking for assistance often from someone in abroad, even back here at home... People will keep avoiding you, even when you have some thing important to say that's not financial

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by Newborn27(f): 5:47am On Nov 19, 2023
When your lots become wealthy you look down on others as if you own tomorrow.

It takes total humility to beg for anything... should everyone has...no one would ever ask others for help cos it's shameful thing to be begging and we all have ego in us.

The best thing is to do your best and leave the rest.

It you eventually close your eyes till eternity today...all that you try hard to conceal and not share would belong to others that never laboured for it.

Oun ti ko to si ma po.

114 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by Untainted007: 5:47am On Nov 19, 2023
What works for Mr A may not work for Mr B. What matters most is use your brain the way the situation at hand requires. But remember it’s not all assistance that you rendered that are vain. In some cases, you are the saving grace and such person may never forget you. All you need is use your instinct. Dnt over do and don’t do if your mind is not supporting the billing.

48 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by Okiemute101: 5:50am On Nov 19, 2023
Where is the lie?
9ja has become so bad that everyone over there will always think we will forever be at their mercy. God abeg lift me & my family amidst this hyper inflation for 9ja. I know say one day the table will turn! Na dem go dey beg us to send something. 9ja is a beautiful place but our leaders don maya

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by hardcore007: 5:50am On Nov 19, 2023
Lol. No be lie.

Them don marry, buy landed properties, build house yet still dey task you 50k, while you never even start your own foundation.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by BigBlackPreek(m): 5:50am On Nov 19, 2023
Just change your line and avoid unnecessary stress

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by ceejay80s(m): 5:50am On Nov 19, 2023
B
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by dadebayo1(m): 5:51am On Nov 19, 2023
Abroad people sad
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by ELgordo(m): 5:54am On Nov 19, 2023
Good write up I have been off what's app for almost 7years my mind rest abeg I no wan here story that touch.....abeg send me....bros help me.... I don't want nobody know my business I don't care about yours ....stay in my lane stay in yours....

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by MayowaTallguy: 5:56am On Nov 19, 2023
Bastards
Dem go beg for help for area,family and friends go render assistance
Dem go reach obodoyibo turn to motivational speaker.
U no know wetin be Family?
Why u no fall from heaven or germinate like crop since u fit do am on your own.

58 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by emkz: 5:56am On Nov 19, 2023
When I was abroad, the billings didn't make sense. What did they need money for?

(1) Brand new phone (90% of requests).

(2) New clothes

(3) Transport

(4) Flexing (club, pamper women or their side men)

(5) Affiliate marketing (what does that even mean).

(6) Brazilian hair. No future ambition.

I realized these people didn't have any problems and decided they had no more value to add. I left them.

The big problem is that loneliness can push the abroadians to talk to people they should ordinarily not talk to. According to verydarkblackman, you gonna learn and you gonna learn the hard way.

Why I left is that the abroad system is rigged to make people "poor". You earn a lot and pay heavy taxes. If you could be taxed for the air you breath, you'd be taxed for it. Then you go through the grind and one silly fellow would send a message to ask you for money to buy fuel inside generator.

52 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by ufotunang: 5:57am On Nov 19, 2023
Do not blame them.....na renewed shege government cause am 🙄

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by NokiaN8(m): 5:58am On Nov 19, 2023
The best way is to assist with what ever little.. the economy is hard.. some days those abroad would want to come home,only those u assisted would welcome you . Be wise, there is an unseen reward which would be repaid some time in the future.

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by wiseone28: 6:00am On Nov 19, 2023
We wey no get money to travel nko?

6 Likes

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by Eniolohunda: 6:01am On Nov 19, 2023
Op is right the begging is becoming irritating. In fact, to avoid it. You will need to hide from Facebook completely. Its funny staying on your lane just on Facebook even though you don't post. Some people will creep into your messenger and beg. The most stupid is when you don't even know somebody in person, and they will send you a friend request and the next thing is begging as if you don't have your family to Carter for.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by bouncin04(m): 6:02am On Nov 19, 2023
grin
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by Oburu202: 6:04am On Nov 19, 2023
Good point bro. I calculated how much I have sent to Nigeria in 10 years. Over 400k U.S dollars.

I wept.

I have adopted no billing mode. No more!! It doesn't matter who is dying. I'm not sending money to Nigeria anymore.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by ednut1(m): 6:04am On Nov 19, 2023
NokiaN8:
The best way is to assist with what ever little.. the economy is hard.. some days those abroad would want to come home,only those u assisted would welcome you . Be wise, there is an unseen reward which would be repaid some time in the future.
cho cho cho. Assist till you go broke yourself . Is economy not hard abroad too

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Avoid ‘Billing’ When Abroad by emkz: 6:05am On Nov 19, 2023
Newborn27:
When your lots become wealthy you look down on others as if you own tomorrow.

It takes total humility to beg for anything... should everyone has...no one would ever ask others for help cos it's shameful thing to be begging and we all have ego in us.

The best thing is to do your best and leave the rest.

It you eventually close your eyes till eternity today...all that you try hard to conceal and not share would belong to others that never laboured for it.

Oun ti ko to si ma po.

Madam, some see begging as a way of life. There is no humility there. They call the beggee a fool by asking for things that are simply ridiculous. Do you know what it means that someone who doesn't care about you suddenly sends you a message to beg for something ridiculous he can afford? Do you know what it means that you send some people and they totally blackout without even saying "thank you"?

There was a story here on nairaland about a guy in the US who laboured and was sending money home. He couldn't marry because he was carrying responsibilities. He died and none of those he helped attended his funeral even when his body was brought home. Someone there lamented that the guy had done a lot for people than himself and they didn't even regard him as anything.

My observation is that majority of those who see billing as a way of life actually do not need the money. Without you, they had been surviving. You'd be a fool to think they still won't survive without you.

Focus on yourself and render help ONLY when it is absolutely necessary and ONLY to those who genuinely need help.

56 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mass Deportation Of Nigerians From India / Lagos Helicopter Crash: Three Dead Bodies, Three Injured Persons Recovered / Gridlock: Sanwo-olu Looks On As Trucks Take Over Apapa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.