Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,178 members, 7,811,438 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ (17204 Views)

What CSU Documents Really Say About Tinubu' Studentship, Age, Gender - FIJ / APC Agents Give Lagos Residents N1,500, N2,000 To Vote For Sanwo-Olu - FIJ (Pix) / The Meal That Led To DIG Joseph Egbunike’s Death - FIJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by money121(m): 3:56pm On Nov 23, 2023
You see
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by AbuTwins: 4:00pm On Nov 23, 2023
OKUCHI11:
let The tribal war begin...

Igbo Vs Yoruba!
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by slowice(m): 4:05pm On Nov 23, 2023
Lol center of selense built by jagabandit... The builder of all things grin
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by Gboom: 4:09pm On Nov 23, 2023
Dittodat:
First, Lati doesn't have to have a printing press to get a printing contract from the govt.
I have secured contracts from the US govt to supply products that I don't produce or even have any idea of how they are made.
What's important is that , I have to source the product and deliver.
Govt contract is crazy in any part of the world. Govt money is the easiest money to make once you get into the circle. To enter na wahala
In the US, the govt will pay you 2 to 10 dollars for a bulb that anyone can but in a store for less then 50 cent.
Everything govt is usually priced way up than in private businesses.
The only thing is that you must supply or provide the services for which you are being paid for.
For example, the US actually gave contracts to people to supply Covid products for millions or billions of dollars to people who have zero experience or knowledge of what is needed and some didn't even supply what they got paid for.
Some are getting prosecuted as we speak. But that doesn't mean that some didn't get away with it.
This is Investigative Journalism and we need more of it. But they cannot lie to expose another lie.
You have to be objective and truthful.
The bolded is the opposite of what of make likely happen in Nigeria settings, they will exaggerate to draw masses attention quickly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by HRMK: 4:11pm On Nov 23, 2023
TIME WILL TELL!!
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by Splashme: 4:11pm On Nov 23, 2023
Thieves, criminals in govt
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by Menclothing: 4:14pm On Nov 23, 2023
Good to see this
Let’s be seeing all our government book of records in all state

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by adrusa: 4:17pm On Nov 23, 2023
Dittodat:
First, Lati doesn't have to have a printing press to get a printing contract from the govt.
I have secured contracts from the US govt to supply products that I don't produce or even have any idea of how they are made.
Govt contract is crazy in any part of the world. Govt money is the easiest money to make once you get into the circle. To enter na wahala
In the US, the govt will pay you 2 to 10 dollars for a bulb that anyone can but in a store for less then 50 cent.
The only thing is that you must supply or provide the services for which you are being paid for.
For example, the US actually gave contracts to people to supply Covid products for millions or billions of dollars to people who have zero experience or knowledge of what is needed and some didn't even supply what they got paid for.
Some are getting prosecuted as we speak. But that doesn't mean that some didn't get away with it.
This is Investigative Journalism and we need more of it. But they cannot lie to expose another lie.

Thank you. This is the kind of lazy journalism that our hacktivists are using to try to turn people against government. It doesn't matter whether "Lati" is an area boy or mechanic, if he registers a company, bids for a contract and wins, all that is required is to find out IF HE DELIVERS. Most petty contractors who do supplies are basically middle men. The most important and relevant question is performance, not qualifications or offices.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by Mitsurugi(m): 4:24pm On Nov 23, 2023
EleventhWeirdo:
Is this what the quality of opposition has descended into? We need serious questions to be asked about health sector efficiency, economy, housing issues, out of school kids, public transport mgt, etc. But transfer of #2.3m to a mechanic??

Shut up!
Oga let me steal just 50k from you as if you won't die
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by RepoMan007: 4:30pm On Nov 23, 2023
Lagos is a classic case of mafia politics.
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by aydotpretty: 4:31pm On Nov 23, 2023
The funny thing is that Lati might not even be the direct beneficiary of the money as it must have exchanged hands in some quarters before it finally gets to him
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by benardtotti(m): 4:31pm On Nov 23, 2023
Dittodat:
In the US, the govt will pay you 2 to 10 dollars for a bulb that anyone can buy in a store for less then 50 cent or less.

God bless you! So because he's a mechanic he can't aspire to do more and better business? Even if we assume he was used as a conduit , I can assure you that contract didn't go to any lagos politician, 13m is chicken change to politicians, it must be a civil servant that got the contract and used the mechanic to do the job, the main question is did he deliver the items ? Lasg confirmed they were supplied so he has no case .
Finally any business registered with cac and having general contractor or services in its profile is acceptable to do business with government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by lexy2014: 4:32pm On Nov 23, 2023
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by rukyboy(m): 4:37pm On Nov 23, 2023
In saner climes. This would be enough to force the governor to resign
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 4:45pm On Nov 23, 2023
Dittodat:
In the US, the govt will pay you 2 to 10 dollars for a bulb that anyone can buy in a store for less then 50 cent or less.

Are you justifying 8m contract for liquid fragrance or 2.3m for printing of pamphlets issued to a person who had no idea what the journalists were talking about? It's quite evident that this mechanic was serving as a front for someone in government who is mismanaging public funds possibly a family member or a friend in government.

How was the contracted awarded to this mechanic? What qualifying criterion was used to justify this award? Or perhaps is this some form of empowerment scheme?

Inflated contracts is corruption and misuse of public funds whether in Nigeria or the US.

EFCC should not hesitate to investigate this issue and shed light on these grey areas highlighted. Last last the funds may have not been stolen but insofar as there is some suspicion of misuse of public funds there is need for clarification for avoidance of doubt. In a democracy government has to be accountable to the people.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by Svoboda(m): 4:46pm On Nov 23, 2023
malton:
The truth is that democracy has failed Nigerians. It's surprising that much of our important infrastructure was built during the military era, not during democratic rule.

This set of government is only out to eat and eat.

Government siphoning money in the name of phony contracts isn't new. It's just that this particular one got found out. It's sad and honestly disturbing. And you can understand why there's hopelessness in the land, with many now seeing japa as the only way out.

Sanwo-Olu hasn't had a good start to his second tenure so far. He's been going from one controversy to another. And I honestly don't think he cares at this point. Once they get that second term, they don't seem to be concerned about public opinion anymore. This behavior is not unique to Sanwo-Olu alone; it is seen in many other governors as well.

Theres no conttoversy at all. This is govts procurement system. Govt contractors arent manufactured from heaven, they are also nigerians. They dont have 2 heads. What is it that makes lati less qualified? Because he is a mechanic?
We have a lot of freelancers out there on the streets who can even sell you zuma rock in abuja if you need it and yet are medical doctors or civil ebgineers.

Even Peter Obi cant change govts procurement system because it is a kind of economic engine room that is used to settle the boys.
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 4:49pm On Nov 23, 2023
AbuTwins:
Team Naysayers go feed on this like ants on sugar!

Lagos would respond soon!
Listen to what you are saying.... Is it compulsory to make a comment when you don't have anything reasonable to say?

Why should a contract for printing of posters or directories be awarded to a mechanic? What ability or expertise in printing has he demonstrated to be deserving of such a contract?

We are crying that corruption is strangling the economy and you on the other hand seem to be justifying corruption on the grouse of public procurement.
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by Alvin212(m): 4:51pm On Nov 23, 2023
Sanwoh olu Issa criminal

OmolabiPIG
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 4:58pm On Nov 23, 2023
benardtotti:

God bless you! So because he's a mechanic he can't aspire to do more and better business? Even if we assume he was used as a conduit , I can assure you that contract didn't go to any lagos politician, 13m is chicken change to politicians, it must be a civil servant that got the contract and used the mechanic to do the job, the main question is did he deliver the items ? Lasg confirmed they were supplied so he has no case .
Finally any business registered with cac and having general contractor or services in its profile is acceptable to do business with government.

Your response shows you justify such condemnable actions!

If there is no case to answer, why was he used as a conduit?

Does that not already indicate that the selection process for the award of the contracts was biased?

If the civil servant in question knew what he was doing was right there would be no need for a conduit.

These contracts that should have gone to deserving Lagosians were instead diverted for selfish gains.

As a mechanic, he should and could package himself and his business well, get it registered and apply for a contract to service government vehicles which is his area of expertise. Or he can setup a printing press and solicit for printing business from the government. That's the proper thing.

Unfortunately, many Lagosians are so used to corruption that they see nothing wrong here or perhaps choose to pretend to see nothing wrong for political or tribal reasons which is unfortunate because these diverted contracts are empowerment opportunities denied to deserving Lagosians.
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by 3ple9iner: 4:59pm On Nov 23, 2023
There is nothing wrong with what they did.

look at this scenario
I got information that the government is looking to give contract for the purchase of table and desk for schools in Lagos state. I a barber saw it has an opportunity to make side money, I registered a company, submitted my bids with samples gotten from a nearby carpenter shop, got the contract, paid the carpenter to make the chairs, delivered it to Lagos state government and keep the profits.

Now how is this illegal?
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by benardtotti(m): 5:02pm On Nov 23, 2023
obi58:

Your response shows you justify such condemnable actions!

If there is no case to answer, why was he used as a conduit?

Does that not already indicate that the selection process for the award of the contracts was biased?

If the civil servant in question knew what he was doing was right there would be no need for a conduit.

These contracts that should have gone to deserving Lagosians were instead diverted for selfish gains.

As a mechanic, he should and could package himself and his business well, get it registered and apply for a contract to service government vehicles which is his area of expertise. Or he can setup a printing press and solicit for printing business from the government. That's the proper thing.

Unfortunately, many Lagosians are so used to corruption that they see nothing wrong here or perhaps choose to pretend to see nothing wrong for political or tribal reasons which is unfortunate because these diverted contracts are empowerment opportunities denied to deserving Lagosians.

So the mechanic who pays his taxes and does legit business is not a deserving lagosian?
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by VULCAN(m): 5:06pm On Nov 23, 2023
You don't go into additional maths when you haven't understood basic Maths.

Let's start from somewhere

EleventhWeirdo:
Is this what the quality of opposition has descended into? We need serious questions to be asked about health sector efficiency, economy, housing issues, out of school kids, public transport mgt, etc. But transfer of #2.3m to a mechanic??
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 5:06pm On Nov 23, 2023
adrusa:

Thank you. This is the kind of lazy journalism that our hacktivists are using to try to turn people against government. It doesn't matter whether "Lati" is an area boy or mechanic, if he registers a company, bids for a contract and wins, all that is required is to find out IF HE DELIVERS. Most petty contractors who do supplies are basically middle men. The most important and relevant question is performance, not qualifications or offices.

This is how corruption started in government and this is why government contracts are inflated because of Middlemen. Contracts are supposed to be awarded on the basis of both competence and pricing. Otherwise middlemen seeking to maximise profit would compromise quality and grease whatever palms necessary to secure same and maximise profit. That's why many public projects are not constructed to last. Government officials who have been compromised to secure the contract will definitely not enforce quality control in the execution of same.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 5:15pm On Nov 23, 2023
benardtotti:

So the mechanic who pays his taxes and does legit business is not a deserving lagosian?

Let us for a minute ignore the fact that this mechanic was not even aware that his company was used to collect contract. Let's assume that he was aware and executed same.

What business is he into to deserve being awarded contract for the supply of fragrance over tax paying wholesalers or retailers of same who also bid for the contract? How will he compete in terms of pricing with direct suppliers of fragrances? You can see already there must have been compromise in the process!

Ditto the printing contract!!! There are thousands of Lagosians that are printers with the requisite equipment, staffing, skills and experience who would have bid for the contract who were sidetracked to issue same to this mechanic with no knowledge of printing or no evidence of paying tax on a printing business in Lagos state. How is this not corruption?

Let us proceed further to the contract award sum... 8m just for fragrance. Which kind of fragrance is that? Where is it produced? Was it imported or locally sourced? How can you prove otherwise that this contract was not inflated? In a time when the country is in recession and people are going through a lot, do you think spending 8m on fragrance alone is a judicious use of public funds?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 5:22pm On Nov 23, 2023
3ple9iner:
There is nothing wrong with what they did.

look at this scenario
I got information that the government is looking to give contract for the purchase of table and desk for schools in Lagos state. I a barber saw it has an opportunity to make side money, I registered a company, submitted my bids with samples gotten from a nearby carpenter shop, got the contract, paid the carpenter to make the chairs, delivered it to Lagos state government and keep the profits.

Now how is this illegal?

Let me ask you this question....

If you were building your house and needed tiles for your floors, Would you go and source tiles from a wholesaler or instead get a mechanic who knows nothing about tiles to deliver the tiles to you? Even when engaging him and he tells you he's a mechanic but he can supply you tiles, won't you quietly tell him that you will call him when you car has a fault?

Why then should it be different for government and we expect Nigeria to become better?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by KayB: 5:33pm On Nov 23, 2023
That the business entity is no more at the registered address is not a big deal they can move to another office and secondly your investigation is inconclusive if you cannot ascertain that the Lati guy is the same as the contractor. Let's be professional and fair with our reportage.
Lagos State government is extremely shoddy with expenditures.
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by KayB: 5:34pm On Nov 23, 2023
That the business entity is no more at the registered address is not a big deal they can move to another office and secondly your investigation is inconclusive if you cannot ascertain that the Lati guy is the same as the contractor. Let's be professional and fair with our reportage.
Lagos State government is extremely shoddy with expenditures
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by Programmer47: 5:35pm On Nov 23, 2023
Professional defenders of evil. See as they sound reasonable , you'll not know that they are demons from Apc.

They conveniently skipped where it was stated that - He did not deliver on the contract
Keep deceiving yourselves. Clowns

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by ivandragon: 5:42pm On Nov 23, 2023
Look at how some marauders are defending what they don't know.

FIJ has put boots to ground to find out facts but some sh!t eating marauders & lovers of all things evil are defending, an obviously questionable contract, based on 'ifs' and 'maybes'...
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by blowjohn(m): 5:44pm On Nov 23, 2023
So if am a mechanic that means I cannot have another business that involves printing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Benue-South Rerun: APC Members Defect To PDP / FG Shielding Chibok Girls From Their Parents – Al Jazeera / 9th NASS: APC May Regret Imposing Lawan As Senate President – Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.