Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,094 members, 7,811,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ (17200 Views)

What CSU Documents Really Say About Tinubu' Studentship, Age, Gender - FIJ / APC Agents Give Lagos Residents N1,500, N2,000 To Vote For Sanwo-Olu - FIJ (Pix) / The Meal That Led To DIG Joseph Egbunike’s Death - FIJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by olisaEze(m): 5:48pm On Nov 23, 2023
Hunger has made the bushmeat turn around to chase the hunters back! Lati the mechanic did not know that he has been a big time Lagos State contractor all the while he was working under car bonnets! grin
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by 3ple9iner: 5:48pm On Nov 23, 2023
obi58:

Let me ask you this question....

If you were building your house and needed tiles for your floors, Would you go and source tiles from a wholesaler or instead get a mechanic who knows nothing about tiles to deliver the tiles to you? Even when engaging him and he tells you he's a mechanic but he can supply you tiles, won't you quietly tell him that you will call him when you car has a fault?

Why then should it be different for government and we expect Nigeria to become better?

Thank you for your reply.

Now I as a person would go with a bricklayer to buy the tiles because it's a personal one and because that may be what I only want to buy.

The procurement agency is one of the most busy agency in of any government, they process different government procurements.

When I did my IT at an FG agency what I noticed is that you just have to show your company is registered, and you have to show you have the ability to undertake the contract. Now if the contract is you buy something, what you buy would be checked and then signed.

Sir, I am sure you are aware that even giving a bricklayer money to go get the tiles for you, he might get you substandard tiles.
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by benardtotti(m): 5:57pm On Nov 23, 2023
obi58:

Let us for a minute ignore the fact that this mechanic was not even aware that his company was used to collect contract. Let's assume that he was aware and executed same.

What business is he into to deserve being awarded contract for the supply of fragrance over tax paying wholesalers or retailers of same who also bid for the contract? How will he compete in terms of pricing with direct suppliers of fragrances? You can see already there must have been compromise in the process!

Ditto the printing contract!!! There are thousands of Lagosians that are printers with the requisite equipment, staffing, skills and experience who would have bid for the contract who were sidetracked to issue same to this mechanic with no knowledge of printing or no evidence of paying tax on a printing business in Lagos state. How is this not corruption?

Let us proceed further to the contract award sum... 8m just for fragrance. Which kind of fragrance is that? Where is it produced? Was it imported or locally sourced? How can you prove otherwise that this contract was not inflated? In a time when the country is in recession and people are going through a lot, do you think spending 8m on fragrance alone is a judicious use of public funds?

Oga are you dumb or an illiterate? Someone hustled to get a contract using his registered business you are upset because others who seem more qualified didn't get it ? It is this self entitlement mentality that has kept Nigerians down, why didn't others also hustle and lobby their links in government or at least apply for the contract, the issue is did he get the job done or not ? Not all these trying to hang him, anybody with a registered business which also contains general services in its registered profile can supply anything ,I once almost got a contract to supply medical equipment to lagos government under fashola ,in the end they gave it to another company but my company has absolutely nothing to do with medical field or pharmacy ,we only proved that we knew what we are doing and we almost got approved. Finally is it not the numerous printing press that the mechanic will still use to d0 the printing so how is it a loss f0r the printers?
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 6:00pm On Nov 23, 2023
3ple9iner:

Now I as a person would go with a bricklayer to buy the tiles because it's a personal one and because that may be what I only want to buy.

The procurement agency is one of the most busy agency in of any government, they process different government procurements.

When I did my IT at an FG agency what I noticed is that you just have to show your company is registered, and you have to show you have the ability to undertake the contract. Now if the contract is you buy something, what you buy would be checked and then signed.

Sir, I am sure you are aware that even giving a bricklayer money to go get the tiles for you, he might get you substandard tiles.

@ bolded is very important. Please tell me what in the article indicates this mechanic has any prior experience or ability in printing or supplies of fragrances to deserve the contract over others who are directly into the fragrance or printing business who were not issued the contract? What due diligence was done by the procurement agency in the award of the contract in this case?

Competence and Pricing are two major factors that must be employed in awarding of contracts. This mechanic has no business bidding for printing job or supply. This is clear corruption.

Inflation of contract sums is also corruption as it is misuse of public funds. We are in an era where struggling Lagosians are overtaxed and government is securing loans left right and centre ostensibly because funds are scarce. Judicious use of public funds is the hallmark of a responsible government. That is why people like Peter Obi will not be allowed to assume public office because such leakages and wastages will be blocked and the people in procurement will have to sit up and do their jobs properly instead of using fronts to siphon scarce public resources.
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by SalamRushdie: 6:07pm On Nov 23, 2023
It's clear they got to the wrong person
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by AbuTwins: 6:19pm On Nov 23, 2023
obi58:

Listen to what you are saying.... Is it compulsory to make a comment when you don't have anything reasonable to say?

Why should a contract for printing of posters or directories be awarded to a mechanic? What ability or expertise in printing has he demonstrated to be deserving of such a contract?

We are crying that corruption is strangling the economy and you on the other hand seem to be justifying corruption on the grouse of public procurement.

What's the mechanic's name?

I live in Bariga in Lagos send me his address to confirm!
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by ImpactBooks: 6:21pm On Nov 23, 2023
Lagos State Appropriation Bill (Budget) for 2023 is as summarized below:

- Capital Expenditure - N1.019 trillion (58%)

- Recurrent Expenditure - N748 Billion (42%). This covers personnel cost, overheards and debt servicing

Although, corruption should not be encouraged in whatever form. If this allegation is true, yet, as an Auditor that I am and with 16 years of working experience, what is the percentage of N2.3m to the N748 Billion Recurrent Expenditure of the LASG? The 'embezzled' should be TOTALLY IMMATERIAL to every right thinking person and as such, should be totally disregarded. More so, even if the issue Is to be thoroughly investigated, the require expenses, time and other resources would probably outweigh the intended benefits.

Case dismissed!
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by udemzyudex(m): 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
Them don chop the money be that. Nigeria shall be great again o

After how many generations?
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2023
benardtotti:

Oga are you dumb or an illiterate? Someone hustled to get a contract using his registered business you are upset because others who seem more qualified didn't get it ? It is this self entitlement mentality that has kept Nigerians down, [/i]why didn't others also hustle and lobby their links in government or at least apply for the contract, [i]

This hustle and lobby mentality is the bastion of corruption in public office and I'm not surprised such comments are coming from you as you're quite clearly misguided. It's people like you who go to bribe officials or use nepotism instead of competence to compromise officials into bypassing procurement guidelines and standards to award contracts instead of professionalism.

the issue is did he get the job done or not ? Not all these trying to hang him, anybody with a registered business which also contains general services in its registered profile can supply anything ,I once almost got a contract to supply medical equipment to lagos government under fashola ,in the end they gave it to another company but my company has absolutely nothing to do with medical field or pharmacy ,we only proved that we knew what we are doing and we almost got approved.

You bid for a contract with no track record or previous experience supplying same and you expected to be awarded the contract? For supply of sensitive items like medical equipment of all things? Based on what criteria? The words of your mouth? No be JuJu be that? Any responsible government would have rejected your bid and the Fashola government rightly did so!

Finally is it not the numerous printing press that the mechanic will still use to d0 the printing so how is it a loss f0r the printers?

When people have nothing upstairs they resort to meaningless insults.

Olodo, Tell us exactly how he hustled for the contract? How did he prove he was worthy of getting the contract over those better qualified to execute same? If your child is sick would you take a chance on an electrician who claims he can treat your child over taking your child to the hospital? Why won't your stupidity extend to your sick child? But if it is government, anything goes?

We are exactly where are in this sorry state of affairs in this country because of unfortunate people like you with this 'end justifies means' mentality which seeks to legitimise illegality because contract was executed. It is people like you who have corrupted government officials into bypassing public standards for momentary pecuniary gains at the expense of the general public.

Part of responsible government is judicious use of public funds. Government has no business subsidizing a mechanic to execute a contract when the direct suppliers are available to do the same job at a discount!!! This mechanic should seek for contract award in his area of competency! That is why where things are done properly to secure a contract, you have to show competency! If the mechanic was into printing business or had a shop selling fragrances then he can bid because he has a knowledge of the business but you don't put a square peg in a round peg. That's why we have so many poorly executed and abandoned projects awarded at inflated sums which after all interests have been settled, there is little or nothing left to execute same so it is either poorly done or abandoned!
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 6:27pm On Nov 23, 2023
AbuTwins:

What's the mechanic's name?

I live in Bariga in Lagos send me his address to confirm!

Did you read the article at all?
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by tollyboy5(m): 6:36pm On Nov 23, 2023
smartr:
freestuffsng
helinues
seunmsg
mannabbqgrillz
leodeking
yarimo
etc
Them don logout
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by bennybuhari: 6:38pm On Nov 23, 2023
Honestly Sanwo-Olu should resign. Silent rogue
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by benardtotti(m): 6:40pm On Nov 23, 2023
obi58:

When people have nothing upstairs they resort to meaningless insults.

Olodo, Tell us exactly how he hustled for the contract? How did he prove he was worthy of getting the contract over those better qualified to execute same? If your child is sick would you take a chance on an electrician who claims he can treat your child over taking your child to the hospital? Why won't your stupidity extend to your sick child? But if it is government, anything goes?

We are exactly where are in this sorry state of affairs in this country because of unfortunate people like you with this 'end justifies means' mentality which seeks to legitimise illegality because contract was executed. It is people like you who have corrupted government officials into bypassing public standards for momentary pecuniary gains at the expense of the general public.

Part of responsible government is judicious use of public funds. Government has no business subsidizing a mechanic to execute a contract when the direct suppliers are available to do the same job at a discount!!! This mechanic should seek for contract award in his area of competency! That is why where things are done properly to secure a contract, you have to show competency! If the mechanic was into printing business or had a shop selling fragrances then he can bid because he has a knowledge of the business but you don't put a square peg in a round peg. That's why we have so many poorly executed and abandoned projects awarded at inflated sums which after all interests have been settled, there is little or nothing left to execute same so it is either poorly done or abandoned!

You are very very dumb ! Even abroad there are professional lobbyists whose job it is to get you favorable look in from government or their agencies , I'm not surprised you dont know ti repeat it here: THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG IN APPLYING OR GETTING A CONTRACT FROM GOVERNMENT, IT CAN ONLY BE A PROBLEM IF YOU DONT DELIVER WHAT YOU WERE PAID TO DO ! STOP BEING STUPID ! A lot of people got rich lobbying and doing govt jobs, but coming out to say a mechanic doesn't deserve a supply contract shows how silly you are !
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by AbuTwins: 6:42pm On Nov 23, 2023
obi58:

Did you read the article at all?

I already did elsewhere.

So answer the questions!
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by Fujiyama: 6:48pm On Nov 23, 2023
EleventhWeirdo:
Is this what the quality of opposition has descended into? We need serious questions to be asked about health sector efficiency, economy, housing issues, out of school kids, public transport mgt, etc. But transfer of #2.3m to a mechanic??

^^^
It is a serious question.

Mechanics are important people...and their job is a serious one.
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by sucess001(m): 6:55pm On Nov 23, 2023
Dittodat:
First, Lati doesn't have to have a printing press to get a printing contract from the govt.
I have secured contracts from the US govt to supply products that I don't produce or even have any idea of how they are made.
What's important is that , I have to source the product and deliver.
Govt contract is crazy in any part of the world. Govt money is the easiest money to make once you get into the circle. To enter na wahala
In the US, the govt will pay you 2 to 10 dollars for a bulb that anyone can buy in a store for less then 50 cent or less.
Everything govt is usually priced way up than in private businesses.
The only thing is that you must supply or provide the services for which you are being paid for.
For example, the US actually gave contracts to people to supply Covid products for millions or billions of dollars to people who have zero experience or knowledge of what is needed and some didn't even supply what they got paid for.
Some are getting prosecuted as we speak. But that doesn't mean that some didn't get away with it.
This is Investigative Journalism and we need more of it. But they cannot lie to expose another lie.
You have to be objective and truthful.

When you try to cover up a crazy story, you sound like a lilunatic
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by oluwaseyi0: 6:58pm On Nov 23, 2023
EleventhWeirdo:
Is this what the quality of opposition has descended into? We need serious questions to be asked about health sector efficiency, economy, housing issues, out of school kids, public transport mgt, etc. But transfer of #2.3m to a mechanic??

If things you called little can't be investigated and come out clean, you think the big one can? This make me question the quality of your brain
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by Dittodat: 6:59pm On Nov 23, 2023
sucess001:

When you try to cover up a crazy story, you sound like a lilunatic

"lilunatic" like your drunkard father in your evil jungle.
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by NavasBit: 7:01pm On Nov 23, 2023
Keep crying. Focus on other states. Leave Lagos alone
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 7:04pm On Nov 23, 2023
benardtotti:

You are very very dumb ! Even abroad there are professional lobbyists whose job it is to get you favorable look in from government or their agencies , I'm not surprised you dont know ti repeat it here: THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG IN APPLYING OR GETTING A CONTRACT FROM GOVERNMENT, IT CAN ONLY BE A PROBLEM IF YOU DONT DELIVER WHAT YOU WERE PAID TO DO ! STOP BEING STUPID ! A lot of people got rich lobbying and doing govt jobs, but coming out to say a mechanic doesn't deserve a supply contract shows how silly you are !

Like I said empty barrels make the loudest noise!!!

I asked you a simple question as to whether you would allow your sick child to be treated by an electrician who claims to have medical knowledge as compared to taking your child to a hospital? Why won't you allow your child to be treated by an electrician who lobbies and hustles to be paid to treat your child? If you won't do that for your child, why should government award contracts to square pegs in round holes especially when other more qualified bids are tabled for execution of same contract? This thing will not make sense to you until one day you become a victim of a poorly executed contract (faulty, substandard medical equipment; collapsed building etc) awarded to an unqualified contractor on the basis of nepotism

Lobbyists abroad try to influence government for their vested interests who in themselves are qualified to execute same! In a field of qualified vendors (emphasis on qualified) they seek to secure an advantage for their vested interest. Whilst this is not illegal, it is certainly not advised as the cost of lobbying is ultimately built into the cost of doing business and passed on to the consumers in higher prices.

This is not the same with a jack of all trade going to bribe government officials or blackmail them on nepolistic grounds in the name of connections to secure contracts over others who are better qualified to execute same and at a better cost too!

PLEASE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!

That mechanic showed absolutely zero basis for being awarded the contract. He didn't even have knowledge that his business name was used to collect contracts with inflated sums. If the procurement officials assessed his proposal on merit he would definitely not have been awarded the contract. That is where unfortunate beings like you go to solicit for undeserved contracts by gifting officials so that your interest would be protected regardless of whether or not you are the best qualified to execute the job. In the end people like you would compromise quality when executing contract to recover your bribes and end up short-changing the people of quality executed public goods and services.

Shame on you for trying to justify what is wrong! You are a very greedy fellow and it's people like you who are why this country is in shambles today!
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by benardtotti(m): 7:23pm On Nov 23, 2023
obi58:

Like I said empty barrels make the loudest noise!!!

I asked you a simple question as to whether you would allow your sick child to be treated by an electrician who claims to have medical knowledge as compared to taking your child to a hospital? Why won't you allow your child to be treated by an electrician who lobbies and hustles to be paid to treat your child? If you won't do that for your child, why should government award contracts to square pegs in round holes especially when other more qualified bids are tabled for execution of same contract? This thing will not make sense to you until one day you become a victim of a poorly executed contract (faulty, substandard medical equipment; collapsed building etc) awarded to an unqualified contractor on the basis of nepotism

Lobbyists abroad try to influence government for their vested interests who in themselves are qualified to execute same! In a field of qualified vendors (emphasis on qualified) they seek to secure an advantage for their vested interest. Whilst this is not illegal, it is certainly not advised as the cost of lobbying is ultimately built into the cost of doing business and passed on to the consumers in higher prices.

This is not the same with a jack of all trade going to bribe government officials or blackmail them on nepolistic grounds in the name of connections to secure contracts over others who are better qualified to execute same and at a better cost too!

PLEASE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!

That mechanic showed absolutely zero basis for being awarded the contract. He didn't even have knowledge that his business name was used to collect contracts with inflated sums. If the procurement officials assessed his proposal on merit he would definitely not have been awarded the contract. That is where unfortunate beings like you go to solicit for undeserved contracts by gifting officials so that your interest would be protected regardless of whether or not you are the best qualified to execute the job. In the end people like you would compromise quality when executing contract to recover your bribes and end up short-changing the people of quality executed public goods and services.

Shame on you for trying to justify what is wrong! You are a very greedy fellow and it's people like you who are why this country is in shambles today!

Like I said you are dumb and you have refused to learn ! What is the correlation between supplying brochure and fragrances and allowing your kid to be treated by a doctor? Do you need any special skill to print fliers or buy specific items to dropship. This is the last time I will respond to you as I have seen this discourse is beyond ýour mental capacity that is why you think a mechanic or even a jobless person can't successfully execute a supply contract for an agency.
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by CAPITALBEE: 7:25pm On Nov 23, 2023
KillahPriest:
Scandal upon financial scandal In the center of excellence. How do they expect to deliver the dividends of democracy to Lagosians

Dividends of democracy has been a very strange word to Lagosians since Sanwo Olu came on board...
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by Fearyourcreator: 7:27pm On Nov 23, 2023
abhosts:
LOL. Governance in most African countries is a mafia-styled criminal enterprise. Roten masses produce roten leaders. Garbage in, garbage out
Very simple
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by cumzle: 7:40pm On Nov 23, 2023
Chairman Doherty is doing the Lord's work in following the Lagos budget money. More grease to his elbow and divine protection to him going forward with his special mission of accountability
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 7:54pm On Nov 23, 2023
benardtotti:

Like I said you are dumb and you have refused to learn ! What is the correlation between supplying brochure and fragrances and allowing your kid to be treated by a doctor? Do you need any special skill to print fliers or buy specific items to dropship. This is the last time I will respond to you as I have seen this discourse is beyond ýour mental capacity that is why you think a mechanic or even a jobless person can't successfully execute a supply contract for an agency.

Like I said you are not just wickedly dull but urgently need mental evaluation. People without conscience have psychopathic tendencies and are a menace to society!!!

You failed to answer what competencies a mechanic would have to execute a printing job over an actual printer who has the needed infrastructure to execute same or why same should be awarded to him to execute a supply over a perfume vendor with the requisite skills and supply network to provide the required items at better pricing which would be cost savings to the government! In what planet will a middleman have a competitive edge over those in the business if meritocracy is employed. That's why numbskulls like you would go and bribe government officials to award contracts to you! This is why the procurement system has been so compromised now that officials awarding the contract are more interested in their kickbacks than in the quality of bids being tabled. Instead of the best bids getting the contract, it is the best kickbacks that get the contract.

What is the basis for awarding a contract to a mechanic to supply items he has no background of over those who have the required competencies and supply chains? It's fellow self-centred narcissists like you in government who will forego vendors where items can be obtained directly at wholesale price to issue contracts to conduits for stealing public funds and justify it in the name of award of general contracts! It's people like you who will abandon meritocracy and issue contracts to cronies, family members and girlfriends in the bane of lobbying. When people like you now enter government why won't you continue to perpetuate corruption?

People like you are the problem of our country! You call soliciting government officials and exploiting connections normal? You have sold your soul to the devil for a plate of porridge!
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by EleventhWeirdo: 8:14pm On Nov 23, 2023
oluwaseyi0:

If things you called little can't be investigated and come out clean, you think the big one can? This make me question the quality of your brain

So we should expend our collective energies on matters below material thresholds, right? Shebi me even have brain; na sawdust dey your own pangolo head cheesy
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 8:55pm On Nov 23, 2023
He pocketed 9 million naira and still live in this kind area and still extremely poor

Yellowbar people are cursed generation of Abraham
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by benardtotti(m): 9:01pm On Nov 23, 2023
3ple9iner:

Leave him let him keep fooling himself doing comparisons that are not similar ! Anyone who has done procurement before knows that you must have a business registered that also shows that you have general services in its profile , the most important thing is to get the job done and get it done to specification.

The foolish dude was trying to shame me cos i said I lost a contract during fasholas period without even knowing the full details of how and why I lost the contract which had absolutely nothing to do with our ability to deliver .
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by 3ple9iner: 9:17pm On Nov 23, 2023
obi58:

@ bolded is very important. Please tell me what in the article indicates this mechanic has any prior experience or ability in printing or supplies of fragrances to deserve the contract over others who are directly into the fragrance or printing business who were not issued the contract? What due diligence was done by the procurement agency in the award of the contract in this case?

Competence and Pricing are two major factors that must be employed in awarding of contracts. This mechanic has no business bidding for printing job or supply. This is clear corruption.

Inflation of contract sums is also corruption as it is misuse of public funds. We are in an era where struggling Lagosians are overtaxed and government is securing loans left right and centre ostensibly because funds are scarce. Judicious use of public funds is the hallmark of a responsible government. That is why people like Peter Obi will not be allowed to assume public office because such leakages and wastages will be blocked and the people in procurement will have to sit up and do their jobs properly instead of using fronts to siphon scarce public resources.

Thank you.

I would like to first let you know that we are not discuss the article but discussing whether or not it is legal to give a mechanic the contract to purchase fragrance and to print.

Secondly, looking at the article the bidding process wasn't stated but I learned that the major requirement is for you to have a registered company and proof that you can deliver. In the bidding process, it might be that the perfume he put smelt nice and they liked it, it might also be that out of all the fragrance brought by bidders his was cheaper, there could have been several issues for them to choose his.

Concerning due process, I wasn't there and the article also didn't state anything about it.

I think you should state where the corruption comes in because If I tell you to buy me a blue camry car and you a carpenter bought me a blue camry car is that corruption?

Where I did my IT, a contractor supplied a product, for him to go someone had to sign that the product has been received in good shape and what was ordered was what was supplied.

Fortunately for the supplier the person around was his friend and tribes man (who has not gotten to the level of signing) he signed receiving the product (substandard) collected his share and looked away. Months later, he was in another state on DTA but people in Lagos where looking for who signed for the product, the supplier claimed the product he supply was good and there was alot of back and forth but the signature was traced to the staff

Now who is to blame here the supplier or the staff that performed duties he was not supposed to perform?

Inflation of the contract wasn't stated in the article but let me ask you a question.

The price to get a bag of pure water is 200 from the company and 250 from retailers. The government is looking for people to supply the 200 bags I as a person peg my price at 230 per bag. I got the contract go to a pure water company then tell them to sell it for 199 per bag since I am buying 200 (200*199= 39800) instead of (200*200=40,000) now my gain (200*230=46000) would you call this budget inflation? You see ehn government does not behave like normal people where you walk round the market and start pricing rather people are to bid and the best deal is chosen.

The peter obi you are calling has his own, would you tell me it is ethical for a contractor that should walk in Lagos is being paid in cash in Anambra? Has he come out with is full chest to explain the funds he invested in his business, isn't that also corruption?

The fact you added him actually shows you problem is not corruption but the state it happened is your problem because you should have used a clean person as example.

I'm sorry for replying late thank you.
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by sucess001(m): 11:19pm On Nov 23, 2023
Dittodat:

"lilunatic" like your drunkard father in your evil jungle.

I could be flagged for using the correct spelling . But as a loonatic, your brain can't process this
Re: Lagos Government ‘Paid ₦2.3M To Mechanic To Supply DPO Pamphlets' - FIJ by obi58: 12:07am On Nov 24, 2023
3ple9iner:

Thank you.

I would like to first let you know that we are not discuss the article but discussing whether or not it is legal to give a mechanic the contract to purchase fragrance and to print.

Secondly, looking at the article the bidding process wasn't stated but I learned that the major requirement is for you to have a registered company and proof that you can deliver. In the bidding process, it might be that the perfume he put smelt nice and they liked it, it might also be that out of all the fragrance brought by bidders his was cheaper, there could have been several issues for them to choose his.

Concerning due process, I wasn't there and the article also didn't state anything about it.

I think you should state where the corruption comes in because If I tell you to buy me a blue camry car and you a carpenter bought me a blue camry car is that corruption?

Where I did my IT, a contractor supplied a product, for him to go someone had to sign that the product has been received in good shape and what was ordered was what was supplied.

Fortunately for the supplier the person around was his friend and tribes man (who has not gotten to the level of signing) he signed receiving the product (substandard) collected his share and looked away. Months later, he was in another state on DTA but people in Lagos where looking for who signed for the product, the supplier claimed the product he supply was good and there was alot of back and forth but the signature was traced to the staff

Now who is to blame here the supplier or the staff that performed duties he was not supposed to perform?

Inflation of the contract wasn't stated in the article but let me ask you a question.

The price to get a bag of pure water is 200 from the company and 250 from retailers. The government is looking for people to supply the 200 bags I as a person peg my price at 230 per bag. I got the contract go to a pure water company then tell them to sell it for 199 per bag since I am buying 200 (200*199= 39800) instead of (200*200=40,000) now my gain (200*230=46000) would you call this budget inflation? You see ehn government does not behave like normal people where you walk round the market and start pricing rather people are to bid and the best deal is chosen.

The peter obi you are calling has his own, would you tell me it is ethical for a contractor that should walk in Lagos is being paid in cash in Anambra? Has he come out with is full chest to explain the funds he invested in his business, isn't that also corruption?

The fact you added him actually shows you problem is not corruption but the state it happened is your problem because you should have used a clean person as example.

I'm sorry for replying late thank you.

Thank you for response.

I advise you read the initial article again and slowly to get the key facts of the issue at hand.

First of all, the locus standi of this discussion is based on this mechanic who was awarded two contracts almost totalling 10m and who showed no knowledge/competency of same upon being engaged by investigative reporters. This throws into doubt his competency to execute the contract in the first place talk less the so called competitive edge he is supposed to have had to win not just 1 but 2 contracts to government. Again I ask, if government seeks to award a contract for the supply of 50 bags of rice and we have bids from a mechanic, a carpenter and a rice wholesaler, who do you think government should award the contract to? The answer is quite obvious. Similarly if the government seeks to open a workshop for the repair of government pool cars and a mechanic, a rice wholesaler and a carpenter tender bids, without even thinking the mechanic should get the contract.

You made mention of the practice where you did IT where accountability was assigned to the officer who received the final goods who is expected to attest to the quality. The same you made mention of instances where compromise due to nepotism almost led to failure to deliver or compromised product delivery for awarded contracts.

This is why policy guidelines are put in place to ensure that standards are adhered to not just in job confirmation but in the entire contract award process starting from a public notice inviting suitably qualified vendors/contractors to tender their bids for the execution of subject contracts, evaluation of tendered bids, selection of the best bids, award of contract, supervision to ensure proper execution is done and within stipulated timeframes. If public procurement officers adhered to these stipulated guidelines we won't be having the quantum of corruption in the system where vendors with the highest kickbacks get the juiciest contracts and where meritocracy is not the priority.

Corruption comes in because when contract sums are inflated, prospective vendors are enticed by the juicy profit margin to solicit by way of offering bribes to secure contracts i.e. inflated contracts encourage bribery and corruption of public officials who overtime abandon their professionalism in the assessment of vendors and instead focus on what gratifications they can get from prospective bidders. This makes for larger kickbacks as contractors compete with bribes instead of competing with quality or price effectiveness. Public officials become so compromised that they abandon or connive with their favourite bribing contractors to short-change the system in terms of quality compromise in the execution of contracts. Some even bribe government officials to approve contract payments for awarded jobs which are shoddily done or not done at all. This is the issue now with the anchor borrowers programme which was heavily compromised in the previous administration that this administration is trying to sanitise and get people who collected loans for agricultural projects under fall pretense with connivance of government officials then to refund same to the government.

As long as there is no transparency in the bidding, evaluation and award of contracts we will continue to see such embarrassing instances like this story.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anambra: ACTDA Destroys The Nation, Vanguard, Sun Newspapers / Bailout: APC Tells Fayose Not To Be Ungrateful / Amosun, Shettima At The Swearing-In Of Amina Mohammed As Deputy UN Sec. General

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.