Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,943 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport (31500 Views)

Can You Still Travel Back To Nigeria With An Expired Passport? / The Official Cost Of Obtaining A Nigerian Passport And Other Related Issues / Countries Your Nigerian Passport Can Get You Into Visa-free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by studycenter: 3:24pm On Nov 25, 2023
This is allowed for Nigerian citizens only coming in to Nigeria. Going back, you're on your own

3 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Bossman(m): 3:29pm On Nov 25, 2023
People are just rehearsing the same thing. We all know that one cannot be denied entry in Nigeria with an expired passport. However, it's up to the airline to allow you to board. And the OP is asking for those that have successfully boarded with an expired passport to state the airline they used and any issues encountered.

6 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Abbeyme: 3:29pm On Nov 25, 2023
OK
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by julybaba(m): 3:34pm On Nov 25, 2023
Should a passport expires in the first place ?

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by APOPTOSIS: 3:36pm On Nov 25, 2023
christejames:
Is the country not yet expired? undecided
Abeg, do as you please... Nothing works here.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Although, Lufthansa, Qatar, Ethiopian and Delta permits such from the United States but you need to call their customer care rep. to ascertain before being airlifted. Recently flew Qatar and they approved of it.

Meanwhile getting Nigerian Visa is one of the most unbelievable Herculean and expensive tasks

3 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by ipobarecriminals: 3:36pm On Nov 25, 2023
Go get emergency. Simple

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by sukkot: 3:36pm On Nov 25, 2023
they will black tax you at airport. best to get travel certificate so as to eliminate parasitic airport interaction

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Laple0541(m): 3:39pm On Nov 25, 2023
Just get some naira or foreign currency with you. You can as well do transfer.

On your arrival, where you see people queuing up for Nigeria immigration check at the Nigerian airport, don’t queue, just search for one of the staff and explain your situation to him or her.

The rest is story.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by XAUBulls: 3:41pm On Nov 25, 2023
Obinoscopy:
Hi Guys,

Getting an expired Nigerian passport renewed is a hassle especially in Nigerian Embassies in foreign countries. This has left too many Nigerians in Diaspora with expired Nigerian Passport.

I'm aware of an an existing law that prohibits the prevention of a Nigerian citizen from entry simply because he/she has an expired Passport. Once the airline drops you in Nigeria, nobody, i repeat, no nobody can send you back as long as you are a Nigerian. Infact I know a lot of Nigerians with dual citizenship who has traveled to Nigeria and back with their valid Foreign Passport and an expired Nigerian Passport.

However I'm told that certain airlines might have their own policy regarding the use of expired passport. This thread is for people who have traveled with expired Nigerian Passport to share their experience.

Please tell us the airline you used and the country you flew in from. Tell us which airport you used and the difficulties or ease you experienced throughout the flight.

This information might be invaluable to people who intend traveling back to Nigeria during this yuletide season.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Passionate1(m): 3:42pm On Nov 25, 2023
julybaba:
Should a passport expires in the first place ?

Good ?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by XAUBulls: 3:42pm On Nov 25, 2023
Resetinc:
Go to Nigeria consulate in your country of residence, obtain an ETC emergency travel certificate, present it to airline alongside your expired passport, they will issue you ticket…
Na our immigration guys here go wan chop u on arrival… but the key is speak mixed pigin & native language with them make dem know say u be area oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by dayooye(m): 3:44pm On Nov 25, 2023
Flew with an expired passport in August, from BWI- ATL-LOS via Delta airline , I didn’t experience any problem over here until I got to Nigeria, immigration officials trying to get money from me asking why I would fly with an expired passports, showed them evidence of passport renewal payment and they let me go 😄

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by busomma: 3:47pm On Nov 25, 2023
Traveled from Baltimore,Maryland to Lagos with Nigerian expired passport but with valid American passport in May 2023 . It was hassle free with Delta airline as well as going through customs in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by okenze007: 3:47pm On Nov 25, 2023
yes, it is possible to return back to Nigeria with an expired passport.
No airline will refuse since you are returning to your country of origin, but you can not travel back with the expired passport.
while at Nigeria you have to renew it.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by dayooye(m): 3:48pm On Nov 25, 2023
Passionate1:

Good ?

Renewal wait time is crazy, in Washington DC office the earliest appointment date was around May 2024 the last time I checked.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by BeigJawnson(m): 3:55pm On Nov 25, 2023
YeyeGbami:
Ire akari airline allows it
Lol
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by rummmy: 3:55pm On Nov 25, 2023
We know the people that travel alot during Christmas so it's not a problem to the FG...
Anyways,let me ask Edo people if EDO AIRLINE DOES....
Edo people how far? grin
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by stkingz89(m): 3:56pm On Nov 25, 2023
I flew KLM from Amsterdam to Abuja last year on an expired passport.

The process was pretty smooth: I arrived Schiphol Airport, told the attendant that I had an expired Nigerian passport and requested to know if I'm allowed to travel with it, she ran a check with her line manager and gave me green light.

I arrived Nigeria and was only prompted to it by an Immigrations personnel, told him I'm aware and know of the law permitting it too. I checked out smoothly.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Truth234(m): 3:56pm On Nov 25, 2023
dayooye:
Flew with an expired passport in August, from BWI- ATL-LOS via Delta airline , I didn’t experience any problem over here until I got to Nigeria, immigration officials trying to get money from me asking why I would fly with an expired passports, showed them evidence of passport renewal payment and they let me go 😄

They did the same thing to me in 2020 but I had ETC. He turned it to "You should have shown me the ETC before nah" I said why should you even attempt to stop a Nigerian from entering his country? He just let me go.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Pythagoras001: 4:07pm On Nov 25, 2023
That your passport expires does not in anyway mean Citizenship has expired. I can understand the fears of the airline because of the heavy corruption in Nigeria. E.g. Igp says no searching of phones but tell that to the regular police man. Airlines can be fined, even their license to land in the country revoked if they carry someone without valid papers.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Chetas81(m): 4:09pm On Nov 25, 2023
Resetinc:
Go to Nigeria consulate in your country of residence, obtain an ETC emergency travel certificate, present it to airline alongside your expired passport, they will issue you ticket…
Na our immigration guys here go wan chop u on arrival… but the key is speak mixed pigin & native language with them make dem know say u be area oo
because they were born to take bribery on arrival

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Chetas81(m): 4:10pm On Nov 25, 2023
christejames:
Is the country not yet expired? undecided

Abeg, do as you please... Nothing works here.
Our fault

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by MemoriesAndMe: 4:10pm On Nov 25, 2023
I still traveled to Nigeria with an expired passport last September and renewed my passport when I got there.

I actually wasted money because I had applied for an emergency travel certificate at the Nigerian embassy in Atlanta which costs about $150, which I got same day.

Upon getting to Murtala International Airport in Lagos, no one even looked at the Emergency Travel Certificate I wasted money on, rather they just stamped the expired passport and allowed me entry.

However, while I was in Nigeria, I renewed my Nigerian passport for the 10 year version so I don't have to deal with the 5 year one that expires all the time.

3 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by PoliteActivist: 4:11pm On Nov 25, 2023
Naijagoodman:
I flew with an expired Nigerian passport into Nigeria but I obtained an electronic travel certificate eTC from the Nigerian high commission in Canada for about $cad100. I used Ethiopian airline. But I had to renew my Nigeria passport before I could travel back.

You obtained ETC but you don't know it means Emergency Travel Certifivate
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Dopeluiz(m): 4:12pm On Nov 25, 2023
inoki247:
Lol when you can easily reach out to the consulate or the airline you wants to fly nd confirm buh u choose NL....
its for educational purpose.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by PoliteActivist: 4:14pm On Nov 25, 2023
Dialpad:
You will enter no issues, so long as you have that passport, you will be allowed to fly.

You just can't leave Nigeria with an expired passport UNLESS you have another passport like US

Not true. So much misinformation. Airlines I know won't let you board. That's what ETC is for (Emergency Travel Certificate)
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Empredboy(m): 4:15pm On Nov 25, 2023
aieromon:

My friend flew Lufthansa from London into Abuja on an expired passport in September 2023.
how will he then go back? Can he still go back if he has applied for a renewal passport in the country of residence?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by signature2012(m): 4:23pm On Nov 25, 2023
Obinoscopy:
I've heard Delta Airline, KLM Airline accept Nigerians with expired Nigerian Passport. However, I don't know about Lufthansa, British Airway etc

I travelled to Nigerian with an expired Passport last year via Ethiopian Airline.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by PoliteActivist: 4:24pm On Nov 25, 2023
okenze007:
yes, it is possible to return back to Nigeria with an expired passport.
No airline will refuse since you are returning to your country of origin, but you can not travel back with the expired passport.
while at Nigeria you have to renew it.

Misinformation. Airlines I know won't let you board with an expired passport.
You can travel back with expired Nigerian passport - if you have passport of the country you're traveling to
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by PoliteActivist: 4:25pm On Nov 25, 2023
signature2012:

I travelled to Nigerian with an expired Passport last year via Ethiopian Airline.

From where?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by IjeBos(m): 4:41pm On Nov 25, 2023
As all things Naija, I was also concerned. I'm flying back to Naija for xmas with an expired passport. So, I stopped by the British Airways check-in while at the airport just to make sure I would have no issues. The agent seemed aware and said that there was an advisory in there system that said "Nigerian Nationals could return with an expired passport". And that all airlines should be able to see the advisory. She found it when searching the system for flights from London to Nigeria, London being my stopover.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3 Die In Accident On Port Harcourt-Ebonyi Road (Graphic Photos) / Bola Tinubu International Airport: Gov Bago Renames Minna Airport / My Zuma Rock Tour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.