Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,765 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport (31485 Views)

Can You Still Travel Back To Nigeria With An Expired Passport? / The Official Cost Of Obtaining A Nigerian Passport And Other Related Issues / Countries Your Nigerian Passport Can Get You Into Visa-free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 2:04pm On Feb 02
erico2k2:

I think you forgot the part where I said I have a British passport.
I did not forget...lol. Going to Nigeria with an expired passport isn't the issue, it's when you want to leave.

The immigration guys will need to stamp your Nigerian Passport before they can allow you leave the country. They cannot stamp your British Passport because there is no visa on it. So you will have to explain to the immigration officers why you still have an expired Nigerian Passport.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 2:17pm On Feb 02
Obinoscopy:
I did not forget...lol. Going to Nigeria with an expired passport isn't the issue, it's when you want to leave.

The immigration guys will need to stamp your Nigerian Passport before they can allow you leave the country. They cannot stamp your British Passport because there is no visa on it. So you will have to explain to the immigration officers why you still have an expired Nigerian Passport.
well simple I had not enough time to renew it and its not top of my agenda.No visa in a passport is not a requirement for Immigration stamp as I have been to other countries b4 where my British passport had been stamped. For argument sake I can say I just lost my Nigerian passport 2 hours ago. What do you think they will say? I dont even need my Nigerian passport for boarding pass.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 2:21pm On Feb 02
Badgers14:

Oga sir, my suggestion is to follow what obinoscopy said earlier.. if you are able to renew your passport while in Nigeria, please do it even if you don't have the renewed passport, have documentation that proved that you have initiated the process.

That I saw oga at the top doesn't mean anything exchanged hands.. after much preaching from the oga how they are trying to make Nigeria better etc.. he said he will let this slide because I was not doing ' big man, do you know who I am" that I was conversing with him in a calm voice and explaining my situation.. they know there was passport scarcity at the time but they still want people to make an effort to do the right thing that's why the paperwork that proves the process was done will suffice.

Abeg, let's leave big grammar aside.. please if you are able to renew it in Nigeria, do it otherwise they could frustrate your movement and you might miss your return flight.

See screenshot from U S department of state website..
and if one lost his/her passport 2 hours ago in a taxi?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 5:34pm On Feb 02
erico2k2:

well simple I had not enough time to renew it and its not top of my agenda. No visa in a passport is not a requirement for Immigration stamp as I have been to other countries b4 where my British passport had been stamped. For argument sake I can say I just lost my Nigerian passport 2 hours ago. What do you think they will say? I dont even need my Nigerian passport for boarding pass.
It is even worse if you say you lost your Nigerian Passport. First, you are lying and that's a serious offense. Two, they will request you get a police report and then get an emergency travel document from the immigration office.

Also saying it's not top of your agenda is concerning. Your travel documents should always be top of your agenda if you really want to travel without issues. I advice you start the process. Schedule an appointment, and go for the data capture. Even if you can't capture due to time at least you have evidence that you started the process.

Perhaps the reason why your British Passport was stamped without visa in other countries is because visa is exempt in those countries. Unfortunately, in Nigeria you need a visa if you are claiming British or US Citizen.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 6:55pm On Feb 02
Obinoscopy:
It is even worse if you say you lost your Nigerian Passport. First, you are lying and that's a serious offense. Two, they will request you get a police report and then get an emergency travel document from the immigration office.

Also saying it's not top of your agenda is concerning. Your travel documents should always be top of your agenda if you really want to travel without issues. I advice you start the process. Schedule an appointment, and go for the data capture. Even if you can't capture due to time at least you have evidence that you started the process.

Perhaps the reason why your British Passport was stamped without visa in other countries is because visa is exempt in those countries. Unfortunately, in Nigeria you need a visa if you are claiming British or US Citizen.

its stil not top of my Agenda as no one is posting a Nigerian passport to my UK address from nigeria
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 7:29pm On Feb 02
erico2k2:

its stil not top of my Agenda as no one is posting a Nigerian passport to my UK address from nigeria
Okie dokie, do what pleases you.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Olaide1295: 7:13pm On Feb 04
Entered Nigeria from Manchester recently (2024) with my expired passport.
No issues except that I couldn't check in online with Egypt air.

At MMIA:
Immigration: Are you aware your passport is expired.
Me: Yes, I will renew it while being here.
Immigration: Alright, you can go.
Me: Thanks.

No Naira spent. No one asked me for a Kobo at the airport.
I took Uber to the train station and connected my destination. Easy peasy.

3 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Sicozone(m): 8:51am On Feb 20
Ahmed4002:

Yes, there is 6 months validity requirements for extensions, but this is waived when the passport is reported damage or stolen.

By the March when you are in Nigeria, it's like 4 months. You can renew, it's not a problem

Sorry, do you know how long renewal takes in Nigeria?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Sicozone(m): 9:46am On Feb 20
Ahmed4002:

Yes, there is 6 months validity requirements for extensions, but this is waived when the passport is reported damage or stolen.

By the March when you are in Nigeria, it's like 4 months. You can renew, it's not a problem

Also, does that restrict my travelling in any way, as I have filed an application for renewal already here in Europe.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Ahmed4002(m): 4:18pm On Feb 20
Sicozone:

Also, does that restrict my travelling in any way, as I have filed an application for renewal already here in Europe.

If it's less than 6 months. No problem, you would get it renewed
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 2:35am On Feb 24
@erico2k2, have you left Nigeria to the UK? Please update us with your experience at the Lagos airport when you were leaving so as to guide others in your situation.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 10:53am On Feb 24
Obinoscopy:
@erico2k2, have you left Nigeria to the UK? Please update us with your experience at the Lagos airport when you were leaving so as to guide others in your situation.
Not yet.I will do.Im leaving from PH Int.not that shite Lagos.oya Lqgos people una come beat me grin grin

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 8:21pm On Feb 26
Obinoscopy:
Right I arrived safely back in london yesterday.
SO here it goes my experience, when going I was allowed to travel on my expired Nigerian passport, it was signed at arrival in Port Harcourt international vis Lufthansa. Now returning was a different ball game. You are meant to have a valid Nigerian passport or show proof you have paid for a replacement passport if not you will be charged by immigration up to 50K,I saw people being charged, but I have an ID car that meant I was let off, so I did not pay.
SO, in summary, you will need a valid Nigerian passport to leave Nigeria even with your USA or UK passport. (1st hand information here)

2 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 8:37pm On Feb 26
erico2k2:

SO here it goes my experience, when going I was allowed to travel on my expired Nigerian passport, it was signed at arrival in Port Harcourt international vis Lufthansa. Now returning was a different ball game. You are meant to have a valid Nigerian passport or show proof you have paid for a replacement passport if not you will be charged by immigration up to 50K,I saw people being charged, but I have an ID card that meant I was let off, so I did not pay.
SO, in summary, you will need a valid Nigerian passport to leave Nigeria even with your USA or UK passport. (1st hand information here)
Thanks so much for this update. What do you mean by ID Card. Can you explain further. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Badgers14: 9:03pm On Feb 26
erico2k2:

SO here it goes my experience, when going I was allowed to travel on my expired Nigerian passport, it was signed at arrival in Port Harcourt international vis Lufthansa. Now returning was a different ball game. You are meant to have a valid Nigerian passport or show proof you have paid for a replacement passport if not you will be charged by immigration up to 50K,I saw people being charged, but I have an ID car that meant I was let off, so I did not pay.

grin

I am glad your journey was smooth.

I am curious on the ID part.

What kind of ID is this? NIN registration?

2 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 2:54pm On Feb 27
Badgers14:

grin

I am glad your journey was smooth.

I am curious on the ID part.

What kind of ID is this? NIN registration?
nah lol its a kind of ID from the UK they term to respect in most parts of the world. But the bottom line is, you need your valid Nigerian passport to travel from Nigeria even if you got a Blue passport
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 2:55pm On Feb 27
Obinoscopy:
Thanks so much for this update. What do you mean by ID Card. Can you explain further. Thanks.
Its a work ID from the Uk, Military and uniform men term to respect it. That's how I did not pay 50K, I'm liable to that 50K.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Badgers14: 2:59pm On Feb 27
erico2k2:

nah lol its a kind of ID from the UK they term to respect in most parts of the world. But the bottom line is, you need your valid Nigerian passport to travel from Nigeria even if you got a Blue passport

Ok, thanks for clarification.

You get luck sha, you for hear am for airport. grin

When they catch me, I had to vomit all the hausa that i know grin (oga at the top was a northerner)

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 3:07pm On Mar 09
Badgers14:

Ok, thanks for clarification.

You get luck sha, you for hear am for airport. grin

When they catch me, I had to vomit all the hausa that i know grin (oga at the top was a northerner)
Lol @ bolded.

It could be very frustrating to be harassed and sometimes denied flight out of Nigeria. That's why it is advised to start the passport renewal process once the person lands in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 3:09pm On Mar 09
erico2k2:

Its a work ID from the Uk, Military and uniform men term to respect it. That's how I did not pay 50K, I'm liable to that 50K.
You were really lucky. Some people miss their flight because of this expired Passport....work ID or no work ID.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 9:26am On Mar 10
Obinoscopy:
You were really lucky. Some people miss their flight because of this expired Passport....work ID or no work ID.
lol
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Olaide1295: 3:01pm On Mar 21
Currently trying to leave Nigeria and I don't have my Nigeria passport. Getting the passport in Nigeria is taking longer that I expected.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 12:58pm On Mar 23
Olaide1295:
Currently trying to leave Nigeria and I don't have my Nigeria passport. Getting the passport in Nigeria is taking longer that I expected.
If you have made payment for passport renewal and you have your old passport and you also have the passport of the country you intend traveling to, then you will have no issue. Just show the immigration guys the evidence of payment.

3 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by BarrElChapo(m): 2:44pm On Apr 10
Last month I was in Nigeria with an expired passport and the custom officer looked at me and said;

Custom officer : Your passport is expired

Me: Yes, that is why I am in Nigeria to get it renewed.

He let me in.

I am never going to renew my Nigerian passport as I only use to come into Nigeria.

😂😂😂

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is 10 Million Naira Enough To Leave Nigeria? (japa Plans) / Bus Burns On Otedola Bridge In Lagos (Graphic Photos, Video) / A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.