Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,043 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport (31271 Views)

Can You Still Travel Back To Nigeria With An Expired Passport? / The Official Cost Of Obtaining A Nigerian Passport And Other Related Issues / Countries Your Nigerian Passport Can Get You Into Visa-free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by IjeBos(m): 4:49pm On Nov 25, 2023
inoki247:
Lol when you can easily reach out to the consulate or the airline you wants to fly nd confirm buh u choose NL....

Information is always helpful and a post like this has the potential to alleviate some headaches for people trying to travel.
FYI, I wouldn't trust the Nigerian consulate to be helpful when you are at the airport being denied the ability to board. Have you ever tried calling any US based Nigerian embassy and reaching an agent?

As to the airlines, I reached out to British Airlines by phone. The first rep, said you couldn't, told me to call TSA. Called TSA, who told me to call the airline. Called the airline back and escalated the call and wouldn't take an answer until I had someone actually check their system. The rep finally told me that she could see the policy and Nationals could enter with an expired passport. Taking no chances I went to the check-in terminal to ask an actual British Airways agent there, last week while returning from a trip. She also told me that she could see the policy in their system. But only found it when searching for the Entry requirements from London to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Dialpad: 5:04pm On Nov 25, 2023
Emergency travel certificate is meant for those who wish to travel but do not have valid travel documents.

An expired passport is valid so long as you are traveling to your country .... I am talking specifically about Nigeria

PoliteActivist:

Not true. So much misinformation. Airlines I know won't let you board. That's what ETC is for (Emergency Travel Certificate)

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by MemoriesAndMe: 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2023
julybaba:
Should a passport expires in the first place ?

Nigerian passports expire all the time. I have at least 4 expired Nigerian passports. Haven't you heard of these stories they give at the Nigerian embassies around the world saying they're out of booklets etc?

It's those that end up paying some exorbitant fees that often get attention - the Nigerian embassies are always filled to the brim like a marketplace. I heard the new minister of interior is working hard on fixing that though.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by quickly: 5:11pm On Nov 25, 2023
Resetinc:
Go to Nigeria consulate in your country of residence, obtain an ETC emergency travel certificate, present it to airline alongside your expired passport, they will issue you ticket…
Na our immigration guys here go wan chop u on arrival… but the key is speak mixed pigin & native language with them make dem know say u be area oo

they want you to
Buy airline ticket b4 requesting for it and the emergency certificate last for 30days I have heard

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by signature2012(m): 5:12pm On Nov 25, 2023
PoliteActivist:

From where?

North America..
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by 1Sharon(f): 5:57pm On Nov 25, 2023
From what I heard from the Nigerian High commission, it depends on the airline. And the passport must not be expired for more than 5 years. So it's possible.

Also look into getting an Emergency Travel Document to Nigeria.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 25, 2023
Last month I was in Nigeria with an expired passport and the custom officer looked at me and said;

Custom officer : Your passport is expired

Me: Yes, that is why I am in Nigeria to get it renewed.

He let me in.

I am never going to renew my Nigerian passport as I only use to come into Nigeria.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by DSoj(m): 6:30pm On Nov 25, 2023
How does it even sound to be denied entry into YOUR COUNTRY because of expired passport? It sounds dumb.
Where dem wan deport U go?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by IjeBos(m): 6:30pm On Nov 25, 2023
1Sharon:
From what I heard from the Nigerian High commission, it depends on the airline. And the passport must not be expired for more than 5 years. So it's possible.

Also look into getting an Emergency Travel Document to Nigeria.

Why would it depend on the airline? What business does the airline have in arbitrarily deciding who is allowed into a country? The airlines follow the immigration policies of the countries the passengers are going to. The airlines in the US check travel requirements because they are fined by the US if they don't reasonably check the passengers documents and the passenger is denied entry. And they have to fly the passenger back to the US.

Here is the letter stating the Nigerian policy. It doesn't say anything about the length of expiration. Seems that would be a lot to force the airport agents to check for.
https://tripguide.com.ng/authority-to-board-nigerians-with-expired-nigerian-passports/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by babzo(m): 6:35pm On Nov 25, 2023
Was denied traveling to Nigeria about 10 Years ago by United, because my passport expired.
The first guy at the counter allowed me, then another guy came and said no.
I had to go back home, book appointment at US Consulate and renew passport and flew a week later.

Fast forward to 10 years later,same passport had expired again, but I had dual citizenship. I saved the announcement from the Minister in 2021 or 2022 saying all Airlines should accept Nigerians with expired passport AND another current passport. British Airways allowed me board and I didn't have to show the news article/circular.

My question back then and today though is , if you are a Nigerian,not a dual citizen and over stay in a country till the point your passport expres, will they now allow you stay in US or UK or German indefinitely grin

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by NomzyJust(m): 6:36pm On Nov 25, 2023
Obinoscopy:
Hi Guys,

Getting an expired Nigerian passport renewed is a hassle especially in Nigerian Embassies in foreign countries. This has left too many Nigerians in Diaspora with expired.

You can travel. I left London two months ago with expired passport. I flew Egyptair. You do not need ETC; it's waste of money. When you get to Nigeria, no immigration can harass you over it. You're good to go.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by babzo(m): 6:38pm On Nov 25, 2023

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 6:39pm On Nov 25, 2023
aieromon:

My friend flew Lufthansa from London into Abuja on an expired passport in September 2023.
This good news for me as my Nigerian passport has expired and I'm flying the aforementioned Airline to PHC from London.

2 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by 1Sharon(f): 6:44pm On Nov 25, 2023
IjeBos:

Why would it depend on the airline? What business does the airline have in arbitrarily deciding who is allowed into a country? The airlines follow the immigration policies of the countries the passengers are going to. The airlines in the US check travel requirements because they are fined by the US if they don't reasonably check the passengers documents and the passenger is denied entry. And they have to fly the passenger back to the US.

Here is the letter stating the Nigerian policy. It doesn't say anything about the length of expiration. Seems that would be a lot to force the airport agents to check for.
https://tripguide.com.ng/authority-to-board-nigerians-with-expired-nigerian-passports/

You're right. I'm just repeating what was said to me, straight from the horse's mouth. They can be very disorganised, so I'm not surprised at the inconsistent information.

Nigerians should look into ETC.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by 1Sharon(f): 6:49pm On Nov 25, 2023
NomzyJust:

You can travel. I left London two months ago with expired passport. I flew Egyptair. You do not need ETC; it's waste of money. When you get to Nigeria, no immigration can harass you over it. You're good to go.

But did you need to show evidence that you intended to renew your passport in Nigeria?

Do you intend to go back to London with the same expired passport?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by PoliteActivist: 7:13pm On Nov 25, 2023
Dialpad:
Emergency travel certificate is meant for those who wish to travel but do not have valid travel documents.

An expired passport is valid so long as you are traveling to your country .... I am talking specifically about Nigeria

That's EXACTLY what ETC is for - those with expired passports. What else do you think "valid travel documents" refers to??
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by enemyofprogress: 7:24pm On Nov 25, 2023
I don't even know where I kept my Nigerian passport since I became an American citizen some years back. I now travel everywhere with my forain passport.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by PoliteActivist: 7:26pm On Nov 25, 2023
NomzyJust:

1Sharon:

But did you need to show evidence that you intended to renew your passport in Nigeria?

Do you intend to go back to London with the same expired passport?

It's a new policy. See below. Before that airlines refused boarding with expired Nigerian passport

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by PoliteActivist: 7:30pm On Nov 25, 2023
enemyofprogress:
I don't even know where I kept my Nigerian passport since I became an American citizen some years back. I now travel everywhere with my forain passport.

So you go to the big trouble of getting a Nigerian visa?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by enemyofprogress: 7:33pm On Nov 25, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I came in with my Nigerian passport, I became a citizen and I no longer use the passport. I now use my American passport as an American citizen
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Nobody: 7:34pm On Nov 25, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

You said it all.

He has no option than to fly with one of those airlines!

#CaseClosed

I once flew with KLM via Delta in the US to Nigeria and no issues with my expired passport.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by 1Sharon(f): 7:42pm On Nov 25, 2023
enemyofprogress:
I came in with my Nigerian passport, I became a citizen and I no longer use the passport. I now use my American passport as an American citizen

If you intend to fly back to Nigeria, it's easier for you to have a Nigerian passport.

2 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by 1Sharon(f): 7:43pm On Nov 25, 2023
PoliteActivist:

E-visa takes about 5 days but it's more expensive
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by PoliteActivist: 8:14pm On Nov 25, 2023
enemyofprogress:

You waste a whole lotsa time and money doing that. See below, all the trouble to get e-visa, while if u had your Nigerian passport you won't have to do any of that, you'll simply buy your tcket and travel

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by merits(m): 8:22pm On Nov 25, 2023
YeyeGbami:
Ire akari airline allows it
Ire akari airline ko,oribu akari airline ni.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Eniolohunda: 8:29pm On Nov 25, 2023
Flying into Nigeria with an expired Nigeria passport is not the issue but Flying back to your destination is the issue, because renewing passport in Nigeria too can take you months.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by YeyeGbami: 9:29pm On Nov 25, 2023
merits:

Ire akari airline ko,oribu akari airline ni.

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by MasterTeeUSA: 10:00pm On Nov 25, 2023
I have done this twice...1st...I told United Airlines and already paid but biometric interview date was after my travel date. I emailed and sent some documents but no one responded. The airline took me and I was told it was because it's a direct flight.

I was planning not planning to do it the following year after missing my interview date and unable to schedule online...went to the embassy only to be told my application has expired and had to travel so soon...then I was also told that Lufthansa won't carry me ...I applied and got Emergency Travel Certificate and it was stress free.

I have reapplied for passport again and biometric is 6+ months...like what the Bleep. Sadly I have paid to renew the passport and wait 6 months cos ETC last time set me back $150 when it should have been free..."Naija factor of course. I had to even thank them for at least processing it for me and write a letter" I can't pay that again...it would have been nice to come to Naija to process the passport which by all estimate would take about 1-2 weeks now

Obinoscopy:
Hi Guys,

Getting an expired Nigerian passport renewed is a hassle especially in Nigerian Embassies in foreign countries. This has left too many Nigerians in Diaspora with expired Nigerian Passport.

I'm aware of an an existing law that prohibits the prevention of a Nigerian citizen from entry simply because he/she has an expired Passport. Once the airline drops you in Nigeria, nobody, i repeat, no nobody can send you back as long as you are a Nigerian. Infact I know a lot of Nigerians with dual citizenship who has traveled to Nigeria and back with their valid Foreign Passport and an expired Nigerian Passport.

However I'm told that certain airlines might have their own policy regarding the use of expired passport. This thread is for people who have traveled with expired Nigerian Passport to share their experience.

Please tell us the airline you used and the country you flew in from. Tell us which airport you used and the difficulties or ease you experienced throughout the flight.

This information might be invaluable to people who intend traveling back to Nigeria during this yuletide season.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Nigerfine3: 10:17pm On Nov 25, 2023
I flew in to nigeria with my expired passport in August 2023, from USA via Netherlands. I renewed it in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by chibisko(m): 11:20pm On Nov 25, 2023
I had a friend who came back with an expired passport from one of the Asian country this year. Don't follow what federal government stated online to Airlines to allow Nigerian Citizens easy entry with an expired passport.It wasn't an easy process because Turkish airlines refused to book him a ticket. He was told to get an ETC EMERGENCY TRAVEL CERTIFICATE from any Nigerian embassy because his correct residence don't have our embassy. To cut the story short he had to pay someone to help him get ETC from Iran but there wasn't any means to deliver it so they finally got it from Russia. Meanwhile the ETC has to be original copy signed and stamped with your information then you can take it to the airline without problems
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by bameyi(m): 12:49am On Nov 26, 2023
MemoriesAndMe:
I still traveled to Nigeria with an expired passport last September and renewed my passport when I got there.

I actually wasted money because I had applied for an emergency travel certificate at the Nigerian embassy in Atlanta which costs about $150, which I got same day.
Hey how much was the 10 years and can you DM please if you have contact in Lagos Nigeria. Thanks
Upon getting to Murtala International Airport in Lagos, no one even looked at the Emergency Travel Certificate I wasted money on, rather they just stamped the expired passport and allowed me entry.

However, while I was in Nigeria, I renewed my Nigerian passport for the 10 year version so I don't have to deal with the 5 year one that expires all the time.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Akolawole(m): 12:56am On Nov 26, 2023
Hi,

It was pasted all over the immigration unit at Murtala International Airport Lagos. No questions ask! Just present your expired passport to the officers and no bribe taking.

Also, there was one passport office created for Diasporas who come home to process and get their passport within 2 weeks. However, I do NOT know if it's still existing now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A South African Lady Condemns Attack On Nigerians, Calls Them Nice People / Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament / Tourism: Forget Dubai,london; Visit Yankari — Bauchi Gov

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.