Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,052 members, 7,835,552 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? (21274 Views)

Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa / Japa: Is This Not Hypocrisy? What Do You Think Of This / Cost Of Japa To Uk For Family Of 4 Via Study Route (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by BreconHills(m): 11:54am On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:
With the rate at which Nigerians are leaving Nigeria, you will think with N50k you can japa from that country. Every Tom, Dick and Harry have left, the remaining ones are just waiting to buy their flight ticket.

I doubt if we still have up to 1 million people left in Nigeria at this time. So where is that multidimensional poverty statistics coming from? If almost everybody can afford the cost of Japa that doesn't come cheap. This makes me to come to the conclusion that, Nigerians might not have money in their bank account, but majority have tangible assets that can be easily converted to cash if the need arises.

You raise a point that leads to the question what is poverty? For many people poverty is the inability to live well. But this is not the true definition of poverty. Poverty is a state where you are unable to have the very basics of life. A roof however small, meals that sustain motion and energy however tasteless and education for children or yourself no matter how basic .
If we apply this definition, the poverty numbers will reduce sharply.

7 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Okpollo: 11:55am On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:
With the rate at which Nigerians are leaving Nigeria, you will think with N50k you can japa from that country. Every Tom, Dick and Harry have left, the remaining ones are just waiting to buy their flight ticket.

I doubt if we still have up to 1 million people left in Nigeria at this time. So where is that multidimensional poverty statistics coming from? If almost everybody can afford the cost of Japa that doesn't come cheap. This makes me to come to the conclusion that, Nigerians might not have money in their bank account, but majority have tangible assets that can be easily converted to cash if the need arises.
You and the moderator that moved this nonsense to FP are very stupid to say the least.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by truthfinder319: 11:55am On Nov 26, 2023
When you cannot think beyond Pandora Propaganda, you resort to abuse.
Sebi you children of hate say you are rich. Are you now poor?
Who own the property and who buy them? Are both categores poor?

ezugegere:
This is definitely Agbado brain talking

3 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Thinktwicemybro: 11:56am On Nov 26, 2023
UndilutedTruth1:
It's still the same rate at which suicide is being committed by the young.

So, poverty is not exaggerated.

I'm a victim of the terrible financial situation of this country. I just can't take my own life ni, but with no hope, worries & depression would likely do.

Buy you voted tinubu.. feel free to use the rope

3 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by truthfinder319: 11:56am On Nov 26, 2023
How many have committed suicide in your family ?

UndilutedTruth1:
It's still the same rate at which suicide is being committed by the young.

So, poverty is not exaggerated.

I'm a victim of the terrible financial situation of this country. I just can't take my own life ni, but with no hope, worries & depression would likely do.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by truthfinder319: 11:58am On Nov 26, 2023
So everybody must belong to a party? And what is the crime in belonging to a political party? Is that not what drives democracy?

Solsix:
you must be an APC supporter. People are selling off Thier inheritance, contributing money to send one of Thier own out, etc and you are here typing this rubbish.

3 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Appletek: 12:01pm On Nov 26, 2023
ezugegere:
This is definitely Agbado brain talking

Akpu cannibal don drop quote

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Googledotcom: 12:01pm On Nov 26, 2023
The rate at which people are selling their properties is so alarming, I don't think poverty is the cause but the japa syndrome at play.

7 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Prechgold1180(m): 12:04pm On Nov 26, 2023
Appletek:

7 paragraphs, you used Omo 5 times.
You weren't really a banker, you were just a bank worker.

Kai Nigerians with I too know mentality

So you nur sabi street explanations

Abi u think say life nah by uk English

Maybe I need send u my sch cert

Well no point
I wish you well my bro
Where others fail you shall win

Off my cap I m out 👍

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by iLoveYouToo(m): 12:08pm On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:

Nigerians are spoilt liars. They claim they're dying but go to the airports, visa centers and niteclubs, wedding receptions and expensive restaurants you'll understand why Buhari always refused to yield to 'poverty veiled' agitations

Bring out one Ponzi scheme now you'll see how they'll manufacture millions from hunger and 'poverty' to invest.

SMH

9 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by UndilutedTruth1: 12:10pm On Nov 26, 2023
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Mosba: 12:10pm On Nov 26, 2023
Intelligent question/Observation:

Poverty level is not exaggerated and in fact, it's getting tougher by the day. Not until the number of people who could afford to and actually japa, takes significant chunk from the percentage of the poor masses, it would still not means that people are living above poverty line in Nigeria. The fact is, the majority of people who are moving abroad are among the poor otherwise they wouldn't be looking for a greener pastures. What I understand about poverty in Nigeria is that what we refer to as poor is actually not just poor but extreme poor. Majority of Nigerians aren't just poor but extremely poor.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Blitzking: 12:12pm On Nov 26, 2023
Princewill1:
One major problem in Nigerian is the Herd Mentality syndrome.

Once you start up any trend in Nigeria that promises to bring in fortune. The rest of the population will blindly and quickly jump into it without applying due diligence. Check Pos business, Content creation, MMM etc other African countries don't behave this way.

Those that will lose on this trend are the ones who have something meaningful doing in Nigeria and those who sold solid properties to Japa.

Hardship is everywhere, is only dvmb people that doesn't know it.
pos business was a gold mine...content creation na wetin dey rain now with your high end smart phone just enter street dey do all sort of things u Don turn content creator or dey ur room or palour dey talk about dick....bresss assess...gbolla etc u go dey get 2k view or dey flip bottles with a platter of meat dey video am post..

4 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Blitzking: 12:17pm On Nov 26, 2023
FitCorper:
I can bet my left balls some japa people are already regretting leaving Nigeria.
I tell u bro..dem go just dey take pics for road...tram...train station..old Trafford.. or pics for one low budget restaurant or pics with some white folks dey feel say dem Don arrive...all na wash how many ppl fit save 1k pounds or dollars abroad per month.

4 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Fuckinecng(m): 12:18pm On Nov 26, 2023
Yes na we’re all witnessing it the city boy has truly made us proud and continues we’re his man stopped as he quoted. Can’t u see the economy is good and everything is going so well. Our exchange rate is quite impressive to dollar and the petroleum prices are so affordable. The trillions money generated so far on subsidies has really made us a happy people and the price of food is so low mehn. we’re truly enjoying in this country, free data and health care insurance, our kids are receiving monthly allowance and food package here bro don’t play. Say APC 4+4.

2 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by ChiefRocker(m): 12:21pm On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:

The real poor can't afford to travel.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by joyandfaith: 12:21pm On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:

Poverty is not exaggerated. It is getting worse. There are pressure on few people who are are doing well financially to assist poor ones. They are the ones leaving.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by GreaterFuture(m): 12:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
Olodo! Odẹ!
An extremely stupid Post

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Solsix(m): 12:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
truthfinder319:
So everybody must belong to a party? And what is the crime in belonging to a political party? Is that not drive democracy?
Am living above poverty, I just want a country where things work. But people like are just frustrating everything

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Appletek: 12:27pm On Nov 26, 2023
Prechgold1180:

Kai Nigerians with I too know mentality

So you nur sabi street explanations

Abi u think say life nah by uk English

Maybe I need send u my sch cert

Well no point
I wish you well my bro
Where others fail you shall win

Off my cap I m out 👍

I apologise bro
I was wrong
No vex

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Thinktwicemybro: 12:27pm On Nov 26, 2023
FitCorper:
I can bet my left balls some japa people are already regretting leaving Nigeria.
Envy. Pray God open your way. Envy is bad.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Neoteny7: 12:28pm On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:

Reading Nairaland one would think "relocation" is as simple as going from Abeokuta to Lagos.

Majority have tourist visas that'll expire and then they'll go into hiding.

Migration legally is very difficult, especially now with most countries embracing nationalist anti-immigrant postures.

Europe will soon start mass deportation, and the rules for migrants will become stricter and suffocating.

No one wants foreigners in their lands.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by micxwell(m): 12:30pm On Nov 26, 2023
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Usmanovic95(m): 12:31pm On Nov 26, 2023
Mr Op check your fingers and tell me if they are of equal length. The fact that some people are selling their prized possessions to travel doesn't mean everyone else can afford to, there are millions of Nigerians who can't even boast of #1k in their bank. I can tell you this for free, a large percent of Nigerians are living below poverty line.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by 1Alex: 12:31pm On Nov 26, 2023
iHateFraudsters:

And why can't they sell the landed properties and use it to start a business?
start a business in the same poorly managed country?

2 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by 1Alex: 12:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
Raydos:

Sold to who?? Nigerians themselves!!

Still doesn't make any difference
yes. Mostly Nigerians who are based abroad.

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by EconFinance: 12:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:

You know
I just thought about this subject now now

And I open nairaland and voila
Here it is

So let me give you my 2 cents

This increased jaapa is now due to the fact that people are seeing it as survival and existential threat
As for the finances; you will be amazed at what people are doing to raise funds

Steal
Rob
Borrow huge sums
Prostitute
Some are even fraudsters
Some it's benevolent relatives abroad
Etc

My point is that for most people
It's not that the money is there

They just dey rough am ni; borrow left and right ; steal companies funds; sell family lands; etc
That's just it

3 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by wolebest: 12:33pm On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:

Japa is not for the poor........

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by LockDown69(m): 12:38pm On Nov 26, 2023
No! It is real

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by iHateFraudsters: 12:40pm On Nov 26, 2023
1Alex:
start a business in the same poorly managed country?

But they were able to acquire properties in the same poorly managed country?

3 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Villa12(m): 12:41pm On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:

poverty is not exaggerated in Nigeria. We're over 200 millions people in Nigeria. Check the statistics online to see for yourself. Less than 10 millions can afford to relocate. What does that tell you?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Car Crashes Into A Building In Edo Accident / FAAN Bans ‘Ghana Must Go’ Sacks At Airports / Truck Rams Into Street Traders In Anambra State, Scores Injured. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.