Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,046 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? (21170 Views)

Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa / Japa: Is This Not Hypocrisy? What Do You Think Of This / Cost Of Japa To Uk For Family Of 4 Via Study Route (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by SaintUlot: 5:01am On Nov 26, 2023
With the rate at which Nigerians are leaving Nigeria, you will think with N50k you can japa from that country. Every Tom, Dick and Harry have left, the remaining ones are just waiting to buy their flight ticket.

I doubt if we still have up to 1 million people left in Nigeria at this time. So where is that multidimensional poverty statistics coming from? If almost everybody can afford the cost of Japa that doesn't come cheap. This makes me to come to the conclusion that, Nigerians might not have money in their bank account, but majority have tangible assets that can be easily converted to cash if the need arises.

123 Likes 18 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by 1Alex: 6:21am On Nov 26, 2023
Do you know how many landed properties that have been sold to facilitate the movement?

I doubt if we still have up to 1 million people left in Nigeria at this time.
have you forgotten that we are up 200 million? If 50 million people travel today, 150 million is still remaining.

192 Likes 19 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by oluwaseyi0: 11:35am On Nov 26, 2023
People actually have money especially in southern Nigeria, I mean average Nigerians

I discovered this during the MMM saga, they may not be millionaire but they have something

Forget what you see online

Even most people on nairaland (if you kidnap them) it will shock you that 2 million minimum will come out in 1 month or so

143 Likes 7 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by UndilutedTruth1: 11:35am On Nov 26, 2023
It's still the same rate at which suicide is being committed by the young.

So, poverty is not exaggerated.

I'm a victim of the terrible financial situation of this country. I just can't take my own life ni, but with no hope, worries & depression would likely do.

truthfinder319:
How many have committed suicide in your family ?

When you cannot think beyond Pandora Propaganda, you resort to abuse.
Sebi you children of hate say you are rich. Are you now poor?
Who own the property and who buy them? Are both categores poor?

Thinktwicemybro:

Buy you voted tinubu.. feel free to use the rope

He's for Obi.....He's for Tinubu.... He's Atikulate

You're both confused & I really don't know who deserves my response between the two of you. Maybe you two should fight it out first.

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by BlackhatMentor: 11:35am On Nov 26, 2023
It's not.

One whole large family usually comes together then donate money to push someone out to bring the bag

106 Likes 12 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Helpfromabove1(m): 11:35am On Nov 26, 2023
Some or many na gbese, loan , fake POF and many illegal traveling rules

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by KingOfAllIgbos: 11:35am On Nov 26, 2023
angry

Poverty isn't exaggerated but rich people plenty for Naija.

I always see ATMs and Banks full. Yes, people come to withdraw as little as 1000 naira. But still....

Domestic air tickets are ridiculous and don't even go near the international ones... Yet you would still see airports & planes full.

I bought domestic tickets on time, i.e. 2 months before Christmas at 100k, one way. Tell me how someone with 300k salary can afford 200k for just tickets?

But mehnnn, there is poverty every where. Even bankers and doctors, who are in the top earners dey hear am.

I work for an international organisation; my foreign trips and hotels are paid for, lucky me. But I see the guys bring GFs to some of these hotels worth 150k - 300k per night just to screw.

I went to a village in Kogi in 2009 or so, and the youth were saying that a 30k job was their dream ( that's the limit of their own aspirations) shocked

Conclusion : People get money and people are damn hungry out there.

150 Likes 12 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by nony43(m): 11:35am On Nov 26, 2023
All I can say is if you voted and supported Buhari and Ebola Tinubu and planned to Japaa your Visa will will be denied in the mighty name of Jesus. Stay and enjoy the sheer prosperity of Nigeria.

All through Buhari’s 8 years BAT never criticised any of his wrong economic policies that landed us to be the poverty capital of the world because of his personal interests. Now Buhari is out some of his Cabinet members are saying Buhari messed up a lot of things and made Nigeria Bankrupt. Una just de wake up.

80 Likes 7 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by hemartins(m): 11:35am On Nov 26, 2023
You won't understand until japa is your only option, then you will find a way.

44 Likes 9 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by YourGFsnatcher: 11:35am On Nov 26, 2023
Go to anywhere that favours you..even if na village

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by lordm(m): 11:35am On Nov 26, 2023
Go if it will favour you. If not, stay and hustle o

3 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by mejetov422: 11:35am On Nov 26, 2023
Men mount

1 Like

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Civilianarmy: 11:35am On Nov 26, 2023
Country still full pa. Be like you never realize how Nigeria's take dey find money,

Poverty dey everywhere but we still mount cool.

Survival at it's best, BEAST MODE ACTIVATED.

You can check this article below for teaching jobs online that pay well.

https://prepgist.com/how-to-teach-online-and-earn-money/

3 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Princewill1(m): 11:36am On Nov 26, 2023
One major problem in Nigerian is the Herd Mentality syndrome.

Once you start up any trend in Nigeria that promises to bring in fortune. The rest of the population will blindly and quickly jump on it without applying due diligence. Check Pos business, Content creation, MMM etc other African countries don't behave this way.

Those that will lose on this trend are the ones who have something meaningful doing in Nigeria and those who sold solid properties to Japa.

Hardship is everywhere, it's only dvmb people that doesn't know this.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by julybaba(m): 11:36am On Nov 26, 2023
Nigeria is not a poor country
Nigerians are not poor.

Most families have valuable assets somewhere, they can sell those properties to facilitate their emigration to any where in the world.

Also, if Nigerians want to achieve something, they will achieve it. We have that strong spirit of determination.

…it’s just that emigration is not the solution to bad governance; we need to fight for our country, for the sake of the future generations.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Solsix(m): 11:36am On Nov 26, 2023
What do u mean?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Moyinoluwa35(f): 11:36am On Nov 26, 2023
M
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by uuzba(m): 11:36am On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:
With the rate at which Nigerians are leaving Nigeria, you will think with N50k you can japa from that country. Every Tom, Dick and Harry have left, the remaining ones are just waiting to buy their flight ticket.

I doubt if we still have up to 1 million people left in Nigeria at this time. So where is that multidimensional poverty statistics coming from? If almost everybody can afford the cost of Japa that doesn't come cheap. This makes me to come to the conclusion that, Nigerians might not have money in their bank account, but majority have tangible assets that can be easily converted to cash if the need arises.
Well, unlike foreign people, Nigerians are tribal people. And what that means is that we have villages, and family village house.
Everyone is ashamed if he can't point out his family village house in this Nigeria.
Some of these Japa people, sell off that house and that land to say a final goodbye to Nigeria.
Use that money and japa.

13 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Trueigbo: 11:37am On Nov 26, 2023
People sell their investments to travel while those abroad are sending money to invest in Nigeria.

The paradox of life

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Solsix(m): 11:37am On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:

you must be an APC supporter. People are selling off Thier inheritance, contributing money to send one of Thier own out, etc and you are here typing this rubbish.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by FitCorper: 11:37am On Nov 26, 2023
I can bet my left balls some japa people are already regretting leaving Nigeria.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by JuanDeDios: 11:37am On Nov 26, 2023
SaintUlot:

We're more than 200 million. That's the fact you're missing. There's always the 10% or so of that who can afford anything.

14 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by SirLakes: 11:37am On Nov 26, 2023
grin
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Rebuker(m): 11:38am On Nov 26, 2023
No, I don't think so. The level of poverty in this country is increasing daily, especially with the cost of living rising every day.

Firstly, the number of people leaving the country is just a small fraction compared to the number of people who can't afford basic needs, not to even think of gathering enough money to "japa."

Secondly, those leaving aren't necessarily that rich or buoyant; most of them sell everything they have, and some even go as far as borrowing money just to be able to leave the country.

Lastly, it's not necessarily because of making money that some people "japa"; for some, it's due to the level of insecurity in the country, lack of basic amenities such as good health facilities, and, above all, peace of mind. Some people can do anything to enjoy peace of mind.

Meanwhile, this May be helpful to someone here today;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEzEvf_95Q

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Charlieabc(m): 11:38am On Nov 26, 2023
This one na child talk

5 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by marvellous2222: 11:38am On Nov 26, 2023
Poverty rate is too high.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Error401: 11:39am On Nov 26, 2023
sold to Nigerians in Diaspora
That's how it works

1Alex:
Do you know how many landed properties that have been sold to facilitate the movement?

have you forgotten that we are up 200 million? If 50 million people travel today, 150 million is still remaining.
Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by davidtemi(m): 11:39am On Nov 26, 2023
Na still rich people dey japa if u don't know.
So nothing changes I about the poverty level, instead it increases. (The poor gets poorer, the rich japa)

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by Kelvinnchucks(m): 11:39am On Nov 26, 2023
Lol.. no it's not... it's just easier to amass wealth here.. it's also easier to lose it all

5 Likes

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by AZControversial(m): 11:39am On Nov 26, 2023
smiley

Those that JAPAed are not waiting for poverty to come knocking at their doorstep. They fled to enjoy the little 'millions' they have left.

So OP, the poverty rate is high. Don't just let the breeze locate you.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? by lazkizz(m): 11:40am On Nov 26, 2023
modern day slavery .....

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines / Fear Of Kidnapping Forces Abuja, Kaduna Travellers To Use Rail Lines / The Poor State Of Moro Bridge In Kwara State (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.