Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,699 members, 7,809,645 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins (48322 Views)

President Buhari Voice Recognition Program - Contest For 50,000 Naira / Female OAU Graduate Wins N1m In iROKOtv Programming Contest / Sayo Oladeji Wins N1m In Programming Contest (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by logic101: 10:12pm On Oct 29, 2011
omo to dun my mentor please how do i contact you .
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 11:05pm On Oct 29, 2011
You can send me a mail at omo_to_dun AT yahoo DOT com. But I haven't been regularly checking my email because I am working on my site; I am already weeks behind schedule. The website thingy is not as easy as I thought. Either that or I just suck.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by pak: 11:11pm On Oct 29, 2011
felifeli:

Good contest, wrong prize.  grin grin
Good for students and industrial trainees I think.
I don't know many self-respecting coders  who will even do a decent static site for that amount though,

Well, FeliFeli
If the the static site is not going to be complex, just a simple four or five page site, then why not , if not.

Two, I meet hungry computer science graduates regularly asking for one favour or the other, I mean does this challenge not look like an opportunity to make a quick buck for the competent or any body willing to learn and invest his/her time in productivity.

And finally, though I do not have empirical evidence, but I guess above 50% of the Nigerian workforce earn less than 100k per month.
This job can be completed in 3 days of intense work and which averages out to about 23k per day of work. Pls do me a favour and divide your current salary (or average monthly earning, if self employed) by 30 and see if it is greater than 23k.

The reality is , as a programmer, even the thrill of threading on uncharted territory is  enough to force you to embark on project before the financial considerations even come into play.

I remember sometimes back in 2002/2003,  I had just taken time to improve my C++, i didnt have a computer system and hence was not exposed to visual C.
Just for the thrill, i wrote an intelligent tic tac toe program.
Note that (1) I used command line C++ (no visual framework). Wrote the codes to generate the graphics from ground up
(2) I had little or no access to the internet, so i didnt get 'code snippets' from anywhere.
(3) I didn't have a computer system, so i ended up writing about 16 foolscap pages of codes. You might argue, how am I sure it was going to run ? well, I wasnt. but it was infinitely more difficult than developing with a compiler where you had the chance to test run your codes. I mean I was extending class, instantiating objects from page 3 on page 13 and so on. it was just crazy.
after all said and done, how much did I make from the program: Zilch.

But that single project served as the foundation of everything I am in programming right now. As every experienced and versed programmer will tell you. Once you master C++, you are already 50% into every other object oriented language

Really, I think this is an opportunity for young developers.

1 Like

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by IbroSaunks(m): 11:31pm On Oct 29, 2011
omo_to_dun:

You can send me a mail at omo_to_dun AT yahoo DOT com. But I haven't been regularly checking my email because I am working on my site; I am already weeks behind schedule. The website thingy is not as easy as I thought. Either that or I just suck.
maybe u need to take walks in the beach or something, do stuff that bring epiphanies,
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by WebSurfer(m): 11:42pm On Oct 29, 2011
interestingggg
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 12:11am On Oct 30, 2011
This is what is Killing Nigerians, make use of your skills, boost your skills and earn some money and everyone is expecting to be paid Nigeria's Yearly Budget just to execute that project, Hmmmmmmmmmm, na wa ooooooo
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by moderatorr: 1:14am On Oct 30, 2011
1. @OP people who can pull this project, will not pull it for that amount.
Increase the money to 500k and see what'll happen in 3wks.

2. You restricted it to python and a particular framework, so wait for a miracle.
(am not a python guy, i dont like snakes)
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by shockreaction(m): 6:13am On Oct 30, 2011
Honest question. Why do you need a CV submission for a "contest"?
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 6:28am On Oct 30, 2011
moderatorr:

1. @OP people who can pull this project, will not pull it for that amount.
Increase the money to 500k and see what'll happen in 3wks.

2. You restricted it to python and a particular framework, so wait for a miracle.
(am not a python guy, i dont like snakes)
thats my point.

@Omo_to_dun
Unfortunately, thats how i intend to have it, peeps can't take a peep until signups
I am still working on it though, my intention is to summarize what it's all about and put it on the home page.
will add that anytime soon-Thanks for checking it out
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by member479760: 7:55am On Oct 30, 2011
Good, working on it sleepless night ooo!
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by ogasir2011: 8:07am On Oct 30, 2011
For a contest, the price money is ok.

But if Seun want to use their work commecially, then it is complete rip-off, and taking advantage.

Seun: The fact that 3 pple will win cash prices does not mean, ppl that Will come 4th to , nth their work will not valuable to you.
What are the terms and conditions , what happens to the work of pple that don't win cash
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by marcus1234: 8:12am On Oct 30, 2011
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by holahabib: 9:21am On Oct 30, 2011
From all indications, this project is a big project. Seun and his collaborators on Nairaland will make young programmers/developers feel stupid if they feel skeptical about accepting this "competition".

Seun probably has already developed this application himself and probably just wants to compare with his. N100,000 is chicken feed for him.

The sad thing i've noticed about being a very good programmer is, you'll probably not be so smart in business.

My take is, if Seun is sincere about this, there should be a clause that if you win, you'll get a contract job with Seun or his organization for at least N5million for 5 years, that's how talent competitions are done.

N100,000 may seem like money to broke guys but its really nothing and can be spent in 2hours. And if there is the argument that it'll add to your CV when there is the claim that its relatively easy, then do something more difficult and add it to your CV.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by tripplex1: 9:25am On Oct 30, 2011
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 30, 2011
@all I don't neccessary feel the money is a big issue though its quite small but the thrill of doing it is appealing but also let's not forget we are in Nigeria, things like this are a bit suspicious, first nothing is said about ownership of file after submission a contest I missed world bank specified that, also a demo shud run on ur site and u send the demo to them not u submitting ur source, the algorithm is the most important factor. If nothing is said on ownership of file then its no different than taking advantage of people. What if I didn't win but my code was interesting and it was used without my knowledge, its bad enuff that people steal my template I did from scratch and put their name, it wud be more crazy submitting my files for people to use willingly without any agreement of ownership retainment. @omo_dun what issue do u have with ur web ? Design ?
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Maximip(m): 10:27am On Oct 30, 2011
I know while lots of people are commenting and complaining. The real people concerned have already started work.

It's a very good contest for students, NYSC and people still searching for work not those that have been spoilt with
big pays.

The project is also quite restrictive but I get the point of it.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 30, 2011
@maxi the contest is okay but there shud be more light on ownership of codes.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by candylips(m): 11:13am On Oct 30, 2011
@seun

I am already working on something similar but it is more of an electronic exchange for trading any kind of instrument  but i think it can be adapted to the CBN auction process you described

however the app is in java n i am not interested in a competition
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by rufaai(m): 12:36pm On Oct 30, 2011
[size=30pt]WHY PYTHON ONLY?[/size]
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Maximip(m): 12:41pm On Oct 30, 2011
pc guru:

@maxi the contest is okay but there shud be more light on ownership of codes.

the project is quite trivial for anyone to be concerned about the code ownership. It's just like asking your lecturer who owns the code
you're going to write for him in an exam.

Nobody is actually going to use the code. It's just to access your skill level.

rufaai:

[size=30pt]WHY PYTHON ONLY?[/size]

Because it's obviously a python contest.

1 Like

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by rufaai(m): 12:44pm On Oct 30, 2011
@maximip:

That's where this is so not cool. There are countless php developers, what happens to them? There should be freedom of language choice so far it delivers the required result, committed to SVC and well commented :X

[size=15pt]What I think![/size]
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Mobinga: 1:34pm On Oct 30, 2011
First off its limited to a specific language, a specific framework. Its an easy thing to implement however the limitations are what would reduce efficiency. And frankly, my concern is what happens to the code after submission.

Frankly, I don't just trust this. So I'm not partaking.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by yamakuza: 1:52pm On Oct 30, 2011

First off its limited to a specific language, a specific framework. Its an easy thing to implement however the limitations are what would reduce efficiency. And frankly, my concern is what happens to the code after submission.

Frankly, I don't just trust this. So I'm not partaking.

I think people are missing the gist.

Seun has no use for the code. He simply wants to hire capable Python programmers to revive Nairalist.

Why get Java or php programmers when he has already done extensive work using Python?

Because its a telecommuting project they'll eventually be working, he needs to be sure they can use repositories, hence no option of site demo.

He also said you can opensource or sell your code after.

I'm sure Seun has no intention of working with whiners, lazy people and those who are not self motivated on his upcoming projects.

2 Likes

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by moderatorr: 2:06pm On Oct 30, 2011
yamakuza:

Seun has no use for the code. He simply wants to hire capable Python programmers to revive Nairalist.

Why get Java or php programmers when he has already done extensive work using Python?

Because its a telecommuting project they'll eventually be working, he needs to be sure they can use repositories, hence no option of site demo.

I'm sure Seun has no intention of working with whiners, lazy people and those who are not self motivated on his upcoming projects.
seun's spokesman.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Mobinga: 2:25pm On Oct 30, 2011
yamakuza:

You're simply gullible if you believe that shit. For me its not a matter of lazyness or all that bullshit you wrote. I do not do python, let someone with more capability do it.

Simple.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 2:33pm On Oct 30, 2011
What I learned from the last contest I conducted is that there's no need for compromise. If I know what I need, then that's exactly what I should ask for. If only one person satisfies the criteria and that person can work, that's success! Python is the easiest language in the world, and CherryPy is one of the easiest Python web frameworks to learn. If you can't learn Python and CherryPy now, then I doubt that our future working relationship will be productive.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by rufaai(m): 3:21pm On Oct 30, 2011
@Seun: I do NOT want to believe python is a simpler language than PHP. But because you know what you need and that's what you're asking for, then I have no further ado. Good luck on this quest.

I do not think it is wise for a developer to starting learning python now simply for this competition, unless he got some additional reasons to do so.

Just my thoughts again!
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by yamakuza: 4:13pm On Oct 30, 2011

I do not think it is wise for a developer to starting learning python now simply for this competition, unless he got some additional reasons to do so.

The main project, after the interview competition, will be in Python.

Seun, maybe it would have been better to have asked Python programmers to send in applications or their portfolio, then do this sudden death thing amongst them. Thats for another time anyways.

Mobinga et al, dont take my posts personal unless i type your id.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 30, 2011
Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Did i just heard Old Man seun sayin python is the most easiest language? Well i would not really buy that though its easier to php. And fast loading
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 30, 2011
This is getting more interesting. . .
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by abbyode(m): 8:26pm On Oct 30, 2011
Since you want the application on Python, no problem about that. However, I will use Alpha Five to develop it and add to my list of personal projects. Good luck with your python contest!
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Fayimora(m): 8:43pm On Oct 30, 2011
Would you consider a Ruby implementation using Rails? Don't mind and am not in for the money, Just wanna see how well you can rate me cheesy

As for the contest, I also think the prize is too small BUT if the application is not going to be used by you(Seun) then I think its good enough. I mean you(the winner) gets to work with him(Seun).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Project Topics In Computer Science / Dr Akorede Kamil Teaches Coding On The Streets Of Ilorin / Game Development: Join The Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.