Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,488 members, 7,816,154 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. (376 Views)

17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer / Hypertext Preprocessor (php) Vs Python / Contract Job For Swift And Java Developer - You Can Work From Anywhere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by Kepukepu: 9:28am On Nov 27, 2023
I didn't realize how this can save time until a client asked me to change the styling of a website.
If I had used a preprocessor like SCSS, all I needed to do was to just go change the value of the variables and it will take effect throughout the website.
After learning SASS, life has become easier. You can to build a website with the mindset of applying changes on demand of client.
Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by surzkidoo: 12:00pm On Nov 27, 2023
Kepukepu:
I didn't realize how this can save time until a client asked me to change the styling of a website.
If I had used a preprocessor like SCSS, all I needed to do was to just go change the value of the variables and it will take effect throughout the website.
After learning SASS, life has become easier. You can to build a website with the mindset of applying changes on demand of client.

CSS too has built-In variable feature
Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by LikeAking: 1:14pm On Nov 27, 2023
surzkidoo:

Correct!
Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by LikeAking: 1:16pm On Nov 27, 2023
Front end devs too Dey worry..

Una go learn tire..

When u use SCSS, then u will realize u shud have used CSS or TW when another situation comes up..

Front end dev is full of crap..

1 Like

Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by Kepukepu: 2:37pm On Nov 27, 2023
surzkidoo:

How? enlighten me
Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by Kubernetes: 3:07pm On Nov 27, 2023
surzkidoo:

But I should prefer SCSS because that approach helps in maintaining consistency and makes it far more manageable when a client requests changes. Instead of manually hunting down each occurrence of a specific style element, you can update the variables and watch those changes propagate across the entire project. It not only saves time but also enhances the flexibility and scalability of web dev projects.

1 Like

Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by SUPREMOTM: 6:23pm On Nov 27, 2023
Kubernetes:

Instead of manually hunting down each occurrence of a specific style element, you can update the variables and watch those changes propagate across the entire project. It not only saves time but also enhances the flexibility and scalability of web dev projects.

You can do the same and get same result with CSS variables.
Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by jikins(m): 6:44pm On Nov 27, 2023
surzkidoo:

Its even more intuitive than sass variables in that you can change the value of the variable say in a media query
Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by jikins(m): 6:45pm On Nov 27, 2023
Kubernetes:

But I should prefer SCSS because that approach helps in maintaining consistency and makes it far more manageable when a client requests changes. Instead of manually hunting down each occurrence of a specific style element, you can update the variables and watch those changes propagate across the entire project. It not only saves time but also enhances the flexibility and scalability of web dev projects.

That is what he is saying vanilla css has the same features even better self one might argue especially if you are handling light and dark mode. You can use the same variable name but just change the value base on the theme. This is not possible in sass by the way sass variable are like js const. You cant change their value after declaring them

1 Like

Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by Kubernetes: 6:47pm On Nov 27, 2023
SUPREMOTM:

You can do the same and get same result with CSS variables.

CSS alone doesn't offer the same level of flexibility and ease as a like SCSS when it comes to managing changes throughout a website. It lacks features like nesting, functions etc , which are crucial for efficient and scalable styling.

If you use CSS alone, making widespread changes involves manually finding and modifying each instance of a style property across multiple files which can be time-consuming and error-prone, especially in larger projects.
Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by jikins(m): 6:52pm On Nov 27, 2023
Kubernetes:

CSS alone doesn't offer the same level of flexibility and ease as a like SCSS when it comes to managing changes throughout a website. It lacks features like nesting, functions etc , which are crucial for efficient and scalable styling.

If you use CSS alone, making widespread changes involves manually finding and modifying each instance of a style property across multiple files which can be time-consuming and error-prone, especially in larger projects.

True but op was talking about variables not nesting or functions. CSS now supports nesting though.

1 Like

Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by Kepukepu: 9:36pm On Nov 27, 2023
jikins:

True but op was talking about variables not nesting or functions. CSS now supports nesting though.
personally, I don't fancy declaring functions with sass. Nor necessarily
Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by chukwuebuka65(m): 11:36pm On Nov 27, 2023
Not necessarily, especially now that tailwind is dominating. But it’s good to have.
Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by jikins(m): 6:50am On Nov 28, 2023
Kepukepu:
personally, I don't fancy declaring functions with sass. Nor necessarily

Oh there are interesting cases where you will fancy sass functions. But most likely for basic css stuff you don't need to. I last used sass function when building a time picker. It made life so easy.
Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by SUPREMOTM: 10:36pm On Apr 13
Kubernetes:

CSS alone doesn't offer the same level of flexibility and ease as a like SCSS when it comes to managing changes throughout a website. It lacks features like nesting, functions etc

CSS now allows nesting
Re: As A frontend Developer, You Need To Learn A CSS Preprocessor. by ekehopp2: 5:30pm On Apr 14
Personally have never bothered. Tailwind CSS has got me. And I hear Vanilla CSS has launched a good number of the features CSS Preprocessors were noted for. Anyways it's easy to pick up when necessary sha.

(1) (Reply)

. / .. / HIRING: Mobile App Developers Needed To Work In A Team For A Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.