Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,524 members, 7,837,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel (26515 Views)

Desmond Elliot Apologises For Addressing The Youths As Children / Dethroned Emir Sanusi's Emotional Farewell At His Palace Balcony (Photos, Video) / Did The Oba Of Lagos "Leave His Throne For Buhari" Yesterday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by nini007(m): 7:47am On Nov 28, 2023
Bahamas95:
I don't just know why, whenever I see that picture of Oba bowing to that woman I get angry.
She was a bigger monarch then before we gained independence. She was his boss, they gave us independence!
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Sleekfingers: 7:49am On Nov 28, 2023
adamusuleiman1:

I remember one transfer which the British enforced.

Photograph (black and white), from an album; view of three men standing on the deck of a ship. Central figure, Oba Ovonramwen, wears white wrapper; bare feet shackled together with chains. Soldiers on either side wear uniforms

Oba Ovonramwen died in exile in 1914,

Picture of him in leg cuffs like a common criminal 👇

..😆🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Iamgrey5(m): 7:52am On Nov 28, 2023
NaMe4:

Even if you guys want to continue with the stupidity started yesterday, don't deteriorate to the point of expressing imaginations.

Do you realise in Benin, there are communities and quarters that were handed over to former slaves after the abolishment of slave trade, and a number of these communities were mainly Yorubas who are now Binis? I'm sure you've never heard any Edo mention this, because we believe in dignity and respect of others.
You can inquire from any knowledgeable Yoruba who lives in or has a good knowledge of Edo. They go tell you.

Do you know Yorubas made up the 2nd largest (some data even argue the highest) number of slaves who emerged from 'Nigeria'?

Desist from writing fables or matters you know nothing about.
Bro even if you believe in your stories in Benin you shouldn't try and cover historical records with fiction.

Yorubas just like igbos makes up the largest slave captured and sold in slavery because of large numbers of this groups in the coast.

Benin are not even amongst the third largest people who traded Yorubas for slave, the highest people who traded Yorubas as slaves were Yorubas from other clans.

The second were Fon who raided villages close to Dahomey after it got its independence from Oyo.

4 Likes

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by GoodRocks: 7:53am On Nov 28, 2023
aljharem:

Since the election I no longer consider binis. A lot of them no get sense

We binis will continue to vote massively for HE president Peter obi. And we binis own Lagos state and the vast majority of Yorubaland belongs to us. Yorubas are From Benin Republic so they should hurry and go back to their land

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by GoodRocks: 7:55am On Nov 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
The Oba of Bini should watch his utterance next time he is invited into the territory of the Yorubas.

Dude are you normal?

We binis own Lagos state and most Yorubaland
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by ViceGovernor: 8:03am On Nov 28, 2023
No be for my mouth you go hear say Oba Benin no dey wear pant 🤐
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by DaTruths: 8:04am On Nov 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
The Oba of Bini should watch his utterance next time he is invited into the territory of the Yorubas.

And if he doesn't?

You people will just be making mouth.

When he said it, what did the governor say

Na to come to nairaland and wail grin
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Kukutenla: 8:06am On Nov 28, 2023
illicit:
Well

The Alaafins seldom leave the palace

Infact, no outsider sees their mien

Precolonial Alaafins

But then culture is not stagnant, things change

There might be cogent reasons why monarchs don't leave their kingdoms at particular times but it needn't be statutory

Kingship used to be a bondage
You're correct
The Yoruba have an adage that goes like "Ori ade kii sun ta" which literally means the king does not sleep outside. The Kings in Yorubaland do not leave the Palace for a whole day even for ceremonies. They also do not visit anyone except their fellow Kings. So the op is wrong. The idea of the king not leaving his Palace is not based on a song or myth as the Op implied

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Major7: 8:06am On Nov 28, 2023
FiraO9:

Imagine this nobody giving a warning to a deity(greater than everything from his tribe) to watch his utterance.

Are you folks this daft, who do Yorubas like this? He will say whatever he feels like in your enclaved territory and nothing you rodents, puppets, pigs and ass-lickers would do about it. You 🤡's will only rant and wail all over NL, SM's and nothing else.

Hereditary cowards!

Look at the time of your post,too early to vent the spleen of your hatred and tribalism. You have no right to condemn a whole tribe and May God grant you a new heart.
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by FiraO9: 8:09am On Nov 28, 2023
Major7:

Look at the time of your post, too early to vent the spleen of your hatred and tribalism. You have no right to condemn a whole tribe and May God grant you a new heart.
Have you seen what your fellow brothers have been saying all over the thread? Y'all should learn how to take what you dish out to others, no one has the monopoly of foul words.

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Major7: 8:11am On Nov 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
My Ancestors were the greatest amongst the Yoruba people and raided slaves in Benin kingdom in late 18 centuries.

Incase you don't know this history, you can ask your Bini people.

Oba should limit his talks to Edo state where is overall imperial power is constantly questioned by ijaws.

I hate it when a tribe or a person try to stand above everyone else,we ended up disagreeing. We all belong to the same race and we're all equal before God. Let's set asides hate speech and violence that keeps setting us apart. Heal the world,make it a better......

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by adecz: 8:17am On Nov 28, 2023
There was no "queen" in England in
1950. ❎❎❎❎❎

Don't caption something you don't know.

You have decided to give queenhood to
a random woman on a London street .
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by BabaHenry(m): 8:19am On Nov 28, 2023
FiraO9:

Imagine this nobody giving a warning to a deity(greater than everything from his tribe) to watch his utterance.

Are you folks this daft, who do Yorubas like this? He will say whatever he feels like in your enclaved territory and nothing you rodents, puppets, pigs and ass-lickers would do about it. You 🤡's will only rant and wail all over NL, SM's and nothing else.

Hereditary cowards!

I have watched closely and seen so much on this faceless forum...
A foolish boy quoting and responding a senseless comments from a foolish one like him...
One person said something and the only thing you could do was to generalize and start abusing a whole tribe ??
Does that person you quote speak for the whole tribe and does the whole of the Yorubas tells you that what that idiot said was on their behalf ?

Why don't you attacks him alone without dragging innocent people into your banter ?

Please you people need to get sense undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by YorubaDemonswag: 8:21am On Nov 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
The Bini kingdom that Biafra captured within 24hours and raided the central bank.

We might have had Eze of Benin today if not for Benjamin Adekunle in Ore and some brave ijaw soldiers who fought Biafra from within cheesy

Edo be mumu nahgrin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Osaremwantaelvi(m): 8:22am On Nov 28, 2023
aljharem:

Since the election I no longer consider binis. A lot of them no get sense

See this 1 who regard you, una get sense

No forget the bini's voted massively for LP even the governor of edo was scared.
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by ttobizz(m): 8:22am On Nov 28, 2023
XY23:

Conscientious stupidity at its peak.

You must be a genius. I'm still trying to understand the message
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Judolisco(m): 8:23am On Nov 28, 2023
illicit:
Well

The Alaafins seldom leave the palace

Infact, no outsider sees their mien

Precolonial Alaafins

But then culture is not stagnant, things change

There might be cogent reasons why monarchs don't leave their kingdoms at those particular times but it needn't be permanent

Kingship used to be a bondage
same with most kings u only see a king during celebration of festivals... Now kings are being kidnapped grin

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Major7: 8:23am On Nov 28, 2023
FiraO9:

Have you seen what your fellow brothers have been saying all over the thread? Y'all should learn how to take what you dish out to others, no one has the monopoly of foul words.

Is it a must you lower your standard in trying to reply someone unreasonable Think about it
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by YorubaDemonswag: 8:24am On Nov 28, 2023
GO0DHardDick:

We binis will continue to vote massively for HE president Peter obi. And we binis own Lagos state and the vast majority of Yorubaland belongs to us. Yorubas are From Benin Republic so they should hurry and go back to their land

Have you and your lineage worship Yoruba man Ogun today?

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by BabaHenry(m): 8:25am On Nov 28, 2023
Major7:

I hate it when a tribe or a person try to stand above everyone else,we ended up disagreeing. We all belong to the same race and we're all equal before God. Let's set asides hate speech and violence that keeps setting us apart. Heal the world,make it a better......

They won't heed to your word big man, instead they will attack you telling you to go and correct your brother...
No one cares if you're from Yoruba or Igbo..
If you correct an Igbo man on nairaland, he will tag you Yoruba and if you correct a Yoruba man here, he will tag you Igbo..

That's how complicated our world is right now...
That hate towards each other is too much and alarming cry cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by FiraO9: 8:28am On Nov 28, 2023
Major7:

Is it a must you lower your standard in trying to reply to someone unreasonable Think about it
I can't watch my tribe getting slandered by people, even if you report to the mods, nothing will happen since it's committed by a yoruba.

It is what it is.

1 Like

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Major7: 8:28am On Nov 28, 2023
BabaHenry:

They won't heed to your word big man, instead they will attack you telling you to go and correct your brother...
No one cares if you're from Yoruba or Igbo..
If you correct an Igbo man on nairaland, he will tag you Yoruba and if you correct a Yoruba man here, he will tag you Igbo..

That's how complicated our world is right now...
That hate towards each other is too much and alarming cry cry

It's really disheartening embarassed,I wonder how the likes of these adults will raise their children. I fesr for the coming generation. God help us all sad
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Dsimmer: 8:29am On Nov 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
You can ask your family members who the Ibadan people are to Bini and why the British considered Ibadan the capital of western region when your so called Benin was included in the western region.

It was only after conniving and skimming that your Fathers broke out under the bondage of Ibadan.

Lol. I have come to a stage where I just laugh at some things I hear.

So what was Oba of Bini saying? That Bini jumped over Ogun and Ondo to found Lagos faraway from them? Lol. Like how Lagos' which is Eko, a Yoruba word became Bini? Lol. Or how did Bini jump over Ogun and Ondo to have founded Lagos faraway? 😂

I even remembered how Bini tried to lay claim to Oduduwa thus kept saying Oduduwa was their lost Prince, Ekaledehan. Lol. You mean the same Ekaledehan who was yet to be born at the time Oduduwa was already the King in Ife long ago? 😅 Ekaledehan remained in Ughoton till he died. As a matter of fact, the place where Oduduwa came from was mentioned in Ifa. Oke Ora.

Oduduwa predates the whole Bini as a matter of fact📍

I have even come to a stage where I just laugh at some things I hear. Lol.

For example, I sometimes laugh when I hear the Yoruba are cowards blah blah blah. Lol. The democracy that Nigerians are enjoying today, who birthed it? It was Yoruba who birthed it. Yoruba did that all alone!

More reasons why I tend to laugh whenever I hear about some sayings. Lol. Of course Yoruba are quite calm at times (due to the culture) except when provoked but it doesn't mean Yoruba should be constantly provoked because some won't be able to take such provocation and will retaliate, considering Yoruba are humans after all.

Like I stated, I've come to a stage where I sometimes laugh at the things I hear. Lol. Take for example, there was these betrayal narrative blah blah blah whenever some talk about Awolowo blah blah blah and I wonder who betray who exactly? Lol. Was it while the sage, Awolowo was in prison and wasn't released after writing several letters until Gowon assumed power and released him and after Awolowo got released by Gowon, Gowon continued to plead for Awolowo help in the war yet Awolowo rather continued to remain neutral until Ojukwu invaded and attacked the Midwest and Southwest? So who betrayed who exactly? Lol. Who's the betrayer if not the person who invaded and attacked the Midwest and Southwest? Or should we even talk about who started the civil war by killing other regional leaders? Or who abolished our true federalism? Lol. There are several things which are hilarious to hear thus I tend to laugh..

Meanwhile, the Oba of Bini doesn't even know his own history to begin with sef. Lol 😂 He should first ask what's the meaning of Bini and also where his "Oba" title and Crown came from.

Anyway, I sometimes take all these as cruise since I know these historical facts however people should know some may not take such provocations as cruise thus may react with insult in retaliation.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by GoodRocks: 8:30am On Nov 28, 2023
YorubaDemonswag:

Have you and your lineage worship Yoruba man Ogun today?

God bless HE president Peter obi.
God bless our oba of Benin
God bless SS
God bless Bini land plus our Lagos our land which rightly belong to we binis.

Part of ekiti Kwara, osun, and ogun, belongs to we binis. God bless our oba for lecturing the Yorubas on this
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by izibili44: 8:31am On Nov 28, 2023
Who are the yorubas?quote author=Iamgrey5 post=127201713]The Oba of Bini should watch his utterance next time he is invited into the territory of the Yorubas.

[/quote]
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Bigchristo: 8:32am On Nov 28, 2023
naptu2:
In recent times a myth has circulated that the Oba of Benin does not leave his palace or travel. Similar myths have spread about other traditional rulers in the past. These stories are not true. I have been watching the news for several decades and I have seen each of these traditional rulers leave their palaces and travel many times.

Ọmọ n'Ọba n'Ẹdo Uku Akpọlọkpọlọ, Akenzua II reigned from 1933 – 1978. In 1950 the British Council invited him to the UK to study their system of local government. In the first picture below you can see him arriving the UK with his wife, Queen Idada (The Ohan of the Harem).

In the second picture below you can see him outside Buckingham Palace, where he met the Queen.

In the third picture you can see Oba Akenzua II at the wheel of a London bus, when he visited the London Transport Drivers' Training School at Chiswick, West London in 1950.

The fourth picture shows the Omo n’Oba boarding a train in the UK.
Y’all misunderstood the myth that says “Oba nor Dey go transfer” it simply means the kingship is only for a particular family in Benin it doesn’t shift to someone else, lastly Oba of Benin do travel this present Oba I think he has traveled much when he was a crowned prince because he was an Ambassador of Nigeria to Italy, also after becoming the King he has visited Tinubu in Abuja and also traveling to the Palace of Ooni in Ife etc, so where’s those words coming from? The king does travel let’s stop the misleading narrative
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by Major7: 8:32am On Nov 28, 2023
FiraO9:

I can't watch my tribe getting slandered by people, even if you report to the mods, nothing will happen since it's committed by a yoruba.

It is what it is.

Two wrong doesn't make a right bro. May God grants us all wisdom in our dealings cos many are lacking it
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by YorubaDemonswag: 8:33am On Nov 28, 2023
GO0DHardDick:

God bless HE president Peter obi.
God bless our oba of Benin
God bless SS
God bless Bini land plus our Lagos our land which rightly belong to we binis.

Part of ekiti Kwara, osun, and ogun, belongs to we binis. God bless our oba for lecturing the Yorubas on this

You no bless Ogun lakaye join?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by naptu2: 8:34am On Nov 28, 2023
Bigchristo:
Y’all misunderstood the myth that says “Oba nor Dey go transfer” it simply means the kingship is only for a particular family in Benin it doesn’t shift to someone else, lastly Oba of Benin do travel this present Oba I think he has traveled much when he was a crowned prince because he was an Ambassador of Nigeria to Italy, also after becoming the King he has visited Tinubu in Abuja and also traveling to the Palace of Ooni in Ife etc, so where’s those words coming from? The king does travel let’s stop the misleading narrative

Thank you for repeating what I wrote.

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by beardedboy(m): 8:36am On Nov 28, 2023
FiraO9:

Hereditary cowards!
The person you quoted might not be Yoruba self.
You should understand that some people's goal on this forum is causing Ethnotribal tensions. Why they do it and what they want to achieve is beyond me.

2 Likes

Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by geemd434: 8:45am On Nov 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
My Ancestors were the greatest amongst the Yoruba people and raided slaves in Benin kingdom in late 18 centuries.

Oba should limit his talks to Edo state where is overall imperial power is constantly questioned by ijaws.

Who were your ancestors
Re: Addressing The Myth That The Oba Of Benin Does Not Leave His Palace Or Travel by zeusdgrt(m): 8:52am On Nov 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:

Oga go sleep u nor get talk grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Seven Nigerians Herdsmen Die In Clash With Farmers In Ghana / Bukola Saraki Arrives Conduct Tribunal This Morning With Senators / Wike Lauds Supreme Court For Stopping Currency Swap Deadline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.