Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,194 members, 7,829,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, (15531 Views)

My Nasty Experience With Nigerian In New Jersey / LASTMA Announces Traffic Diversion For Tinubu’s Five-million-man Walk / Obiora Okonkwo To Launch United Nigeria Airline In Honour Of Blessed Iwene Tansi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by ImoleNaija: 2:32pm On Nov 28, 2023
Naija na cruise.

They should thank God say dem no carry them go where dem no know e.g Sambisa. The ransom for high.

They wanted to use 'bad weather' to cover up this expensive mistake. grin
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by waveman2: 2:32pm On Nov 28, 2023
So every pilot needs to know the terrain they fly to,na molue?What is the use of GPS or maps?

2 Likes

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by xoftxoul: 2:32pm On Nov 28, 2023
We thank God that no lives were lost
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by youngrichnigga: 2:32pm On Nov 28, 2023
See explanation from a supposed minister of aviation; silence and allowing the agency saddled with investigation do her job would have served you better because Keyamo just complicated issues for the airline undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by jospepper(m): 2:32pm On Nov 28, 2023
so they lied.
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by aylipple: 2:33pm On Nov 28, 2023
Whoever at United Nigeria Airlines that released the statement blaming bad weather in Abuja for the flight diversion to Asaba deserves a sack!

I mean, they could've spinned a more believable lie, after all, what happened isn't new in aviation circles as even the most advanced countries have had similar experiences.

Anyways, this is an eye-opener just as the minister disclosed; hopefully, lessons have been learnt for future purposes.
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Lanretoye(m): 2:35pm On Nov 28, 2023
They are lucky they went to asaba and not hell.

2 Likes

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Inspirer1: 2:36pm On Nov 28, 2023
Zonefree:

Keyamo don carry em useless propaganda he used during Buhari regime enter Tinubu regime. We're in for a long ride, brace up peomple.
So funny, not familiar with Nigerian terrain as if its a road.

2 Likes

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Obierika(m): 2:36pm On Nov 28, 2023
Whatisurproblem:
why were they lying in the first place,

Assuming you were the public relations officer of the airline would you come out to admit the error?
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Yadid(m): 2:36pm On Nov 28, 2023
Lies, lies and more lies. If the pilot was truly headed for Asaba, how come his crew announced that they had arrived in Abuja after landing in Asaba? Mtchew.

4 Likes

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by urbobo20(m): 2:37pm On Nov 28, 2023
This one of the major reason appointment should not base on party politics . looks as our as barrister is disgracing him self . What happened to flights GPS map

3 Likes

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by DrChukki: 2:38pm On Nov 28, 2023
Resetinc:
Empty head minister,

Planes are equipped with GPS and pilots input their routes/destination to the gps which draws a line on a map, and they follow that line to their destination. If your plane doesn't have GPS, then a tablet or even your phone can run an app that does about the same thing, at least for visual flight rules….you don’t have to be a Nigerian to fly an airplane in Nigeria you empty head barrister, We have Control towers that communicate and monitor flight with radio assistance, and onboard inertial reference systems…
What the hell is a fvcking lawyer doing in the aviation ministry?? this country eeh!!

My brother, our appointments here is not for you to function... It's for compensation.

Whether you're skilled in that area or not, provided you played a role to bring the president to power, you automatically qualify to become a minister.

Can't you see that a journalist is the minister or Solid Minerals... In a country with thousands of Geoscience Professionals

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Neoteny7: 2:38pm On Nov 28, 2023
This is absolute nonsense.

All pilots file their flight plan and receive instructions for waypoints/beacons as well as altitude, speed, and heading. They're also very visible with their transponder and on primary radar.

How on earth could he have flown all by himself from Lagos to Asaba without an emergency being declared?

4 Likes

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Obierika(m): 2:38pm On Nov 28, 2023
aylipple:
Whoever at United Nigeria Airlines that released the statement blaming bad weather in Abuja for the flight diversion to Asaba deserves a sack!

I mean, they could've spinned a more believable lie, after all, what happened isn't new in aviation circles as even the most advanced countries have had similar experiences.

Anyways, this is an eye-opener just as the minister disclosed; hopefully, lessons have been learnt for future purposes.

Let's pretend you are the PRO of the airline, oya give us a more believeable excuse/lie to cover for the error

...we're waiting

1 Like

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Ebeano49(m): 2:40pm On Nov 28, 2023
The minister himself is clueless. What has knowing the 'terrain' got to do with flying an aircraft? Does he think the pilots fly based on what they can see or not see on the ground?? The pilot thought he was flying to Asaba, probably based on flight data given to him/her. He inputted the Asaba data into the aircraft as his destination and the flight correctly headed to and landed at Asaba. The mix up had nothing to do with the lease type. What would a Nigerian pilot have done differently in the same situation based on his understanding of the 'terrain'?
Whoever provided incorrect flight data to the pilot should be identified and sanctioned. The procedure that made the error possible should
be reviewed to avoid reoccurrence. Simple!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by BouquiLake: 2:41pm On Nov 28, 2023
Was there no flight plan discussed before the flight? As if its Lagos to Abuja by road shocked shocked shocked shocked Shioooor

Racoon:
https://www.thecable.ng/flight-diversion-united-nigeria-pilots-werent-familiar-with-nigerian-terrain-says-keyamo/amp

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Obierika(m): 2:42pm On Nov 28, 2023
DrChukki:

My brother, our appointments here is not for you to function... It's for compensation.

Whether you're skilled in that area or not, provided you played a role to bring the president to power, you automatically qualify to become a minister.

Can't you see that a journalist is the minister or Solid Minerals... In a country with thousands of Geoscience Professionals

Let's be honest assuming that journalist were your relation or someone from your kindred you would not have an issue with him occupying that portfolio, even if her were made minister of health you would applaud it.

The hypocrisy of Nigerians stinks to high heavens!!!
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by oseahumenb(m): 2:43pm On Nov 28, 2023
"Ogogoro" Keyamo is equal to cluelessness and talkishness

1 Like

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by uvie66: 2:45pm On Nov 28, 2023
Resetinc:
Empty head minister,

Planes are equipped with GPS and pilots input their routes/destination to the gps which draws a line on a map, and they follow that line to their destination. If your plane doesn't have GPS, then a tablet or even your phone can run an app that does about the same thing, at least for visual flight rules….you don’t have to be a Nigerian to fly an airplane in Nigeria you empty head barrister, We have Control towers that communicate and monitor flight with radio assistance, and onboard inertial reference systems…
What the hell is a fvcking lawyer doing in the aviation ministry?? this country eeh!!
...my brother the things weak me, simple google map and follow the map instructions. Must one be use to a terrain. Satellite navigation have made the world smaller. If I was the captain boss I will deduct time and fuel wastage from his salary.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by DrChukki: 2:48pm On Nov 28, 2023
Obierika:

Let's be honest assuming that journalist were your relation or someone from your kindred you would not have an issue with him occupying that portfolio, even if her were made minister of health you would applaud it.

"Fallacy of hasty generalisation"

Who told you that's what I will do?

I was the first to condemn Dave Umahi being the minister of works despite coming from the same LGA with me... Later someone told me he's an engineer so that could be the reason.

I support merit... Because when things are done by merit, it will surly get to everyone provided you deserve it...

But if we continue this way, there can never be equity in the system.

If a Journalist should be a minister, let him serve in the ministry of Information

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Segzy19: 2:49pm On Nov 28, 2023
Eish! Planes can only land at airports. Is there an airport in Sambisa? Comment reasonably please

Obierika:
What if they had mistakenly landed the plane in Sambisa forest grin
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Segzy19: 2:51pm On Nov 28, 2023
I have also had someone narrate something like too. Situation like this does happen in aviation, although not often. I can see a lot commenters displaying ignorance

Blitzking:

Once read a book on causes of air crashes and the writer spoke about what happened here can't remember the name of the book again...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by toxtimmy: 2:54pm On Nov 28, 2023
You sef no qualify to drive Uber... There is no GPS on your 📱 be at 30000 feet... Please correct me if I am writing ng sir.

Resetinc:
Empty head minister,

Planes are equipped with GPS and pilots input their routes/destination to the gps which draws a line on a map, and they follow that line to their destination. If your plane doesn't have GPS, then a tablet or even your phone can run an app that does about the same thing, at least for visual flight rules….there is also ILS system that picks signals and guides pilots on approach , you don’t have to be a Nigerian to fly an airplane in Nigeria you empty head barrister, We have Control towers that communicate and monitor flight with radio assistance, and onboard inertial reference systems…
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by SonOfaRichman: 2:57pm On Nov 28, 2023
pocom35:

See what this one is saying... airplanes collide mid air?
Or is it because of cheap data y'all just come and comment anything?

It's obvious the pilot mistook Asaba for Abuja and that was where they flew to from the very beginning..
You must be daft?
So in your total existence you don't know planes can and have collided on air?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by ImoleNaija: 2:58pm On Nov 28, 2023
Lanretoye:
They are lucky they went to asaba and not hell.

Hell get GPS coordinates? cheesy cheesy
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Goalnaldo(m): 2:59pm On Nov 28, 2023
DrChukki:

True grin I remember the former minister of education adamu adamu admitting he knew nothing about the educational sector prior to his appointment by buhari 😂😂

3 Likes

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by ImoleNaija: 3:02pm On Nov 28, 2023
DrChukki:

Naija, my country angry!
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by ImoleNaija: 3:07pm On Nov 28, 2023
Obierika:

Rubbish!

Do not move the goal post!

His point is valid & straightforward, which calls for concern.

2 Likes

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by OChimex: 3:08pm On Nov 28, 2023
Racoon:
https://www.thecable.ng/flight-diversion-united-nigeria-pilots-werent-familiar-with-nigerian-terrain-says-keyamo/amp

Is this Keyamo an idiot or something?

Plane no be car naa, the plane carry something wry go suppose direct the pilot where to go.
They must have as a result of incompetence giving the pilot wrong destination or they are just plain idiots
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by SmartyPants(m): 3:16pm On Nov 28, 2023
Racoon:
-United Nigeria Airline: "Flight diverted to Abuja because of bad weather."

-NCAA/FMOA/Aviation Minister: "United Nigeria pilots weren’t familiar with Nigerian terrain"

Hear the senseless thing this fool is saying. This is what happens when you have a charge and bail lawyer heading a sensitive sector like aviation.

And no one have been relieved of his or her appointment nor the operating license of this irresponsible airline withdrawn? Playing with human lives while downplaying same for stupid reasons? Chai
OChimex:

Is this Keyamo an idiot or something?

Plane no be car naa, the plane carry something wry go suppose direct the pilot where to go.
They must have as a result of incompetence giving the pilot wrong destination or they are just plain idiots

What you sre saying is what he said. But for some reason you people cant read.

The airline initially lied that it was due to bad weather. Keyamo is exposing them.

Come on!
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Lifeworkx: 3:23pm On Nov 28, 2023
Obierika:

Let's pretend you are the PRO of the airline, oya give us a more believeable excuse/lie to cover for the error

...we're waiting

[/b]This is the most shameful excuse that even an IDIOT will not offer at any governmental level!

In any (open) space: air, sea and even desert or thick forest (as per military and game seakers), vectors are determined by coordinates (even down to their minutes and seconds), and not by terrain associations. So, the only plausible excuse that would warrant the use of terrain association is when/if the compass has FAILED...

...and that is a SUPER DANGEROUS situation necessitating INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION!
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by CrossRhodes: 3:23pm On Nov 28, 2023
I knew keyamo was going to be one of the most useless ministers in this admin.

What a useless figure...this defence is too watery, better to have stayed mute

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jamaica, No Problem!!! / Things You Should Do When You Are Involved In A Car Accident / Fuel Tanker Rams Into A Bridge In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.