Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,197 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai (26367 Views)

Professor Olusegun Sogbesan: The Yoruba Man Who Founded Onitsha Business School / Sanwo-olu’s Second Term Bid Stirs Controversy In Lagos APC / Sunday Igboho’s House Attacked 72 Hours To Lagos Yoruba Nation Rally (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by texas1990(m): 12:09am On Nov 29, 2023
MakeWeTalk:
Lagos people dey make me laugh.
All the economic activity & resource in Lagos comes from other tribes.

Now even Lagos is not really theirs, it was founded by Benin Kingdom
You be mungun , oponun. Na your papa fund Lagos no be benni , mumu ipob.

1 Like

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Sirianese: 12:23am On Nov 29, 2023
dre11:

https://punchng.com/who-founded-lagos-yoruba-or-binis-oba-of-benins-claim-stirs-controversy-again/?amp

I'd have expected an Oba of Benin to be able to display more wisdom than he did on this particular trip..

Has he ever paused to ask himself why the Bini kingdom's political resident in charge of Lagos (ajele) who later proclaimed himself 'king' as the Eleko/Oba of Lagos, had to lease the land on top of which he built his 'palace' from local liege-lords?

2 Likes

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Tonididdyx: 12:29am On Nov 29, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Don't mind that overhyped Opolopolr king. With the adultrated Yoruba language they speak, the Benin people used to be our distant relatives. They're always envious of Yorubas.

I dedicate “Ijo Eko” by Legely to all Omo Ekos.
Great jam!

You smoke 🤣... Who envy what?
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Tonididdyx: 12:33am On Nov 29, 2023
H.E Omo'n'Oba N'Edo... Obama Ewuare||

At your order sir "we" ( Edolites) are ready to invade and take back what's ours!

Gallant Edo sons at your service!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Pristine664: 3:00am On Nov 29, 2023
TheBillyonaire:

Take the emotional lenses off and look at another perspective as follows -

A Lagosian is anyone given birth to in Lagos State, whether his parents speak Hausa, Fulani, Igbo, Yoruba or any other language does not define a Lagosian. We have Igbo speaking part of Cross River at Ukwa, we also have Igbo Speaking part of Akwa Ibom. That does not mean they are not Akwa Ibomites or Cross Riverians. We have Igbo speaking part of Rivers State too.

Lagos is a State. One of the 37 States in Nigeria. Every State that I know of, have many indigenous languages. A State like Cross River, have over 50 languages, and they communicate to each other using English Language.

Lagos State also has so many languages being spoken by Lagos State indigenes, few of the Language are Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Fulani, Owori, etc.

Osun State indigene is not a Lagosian. Ondo State indigene is not a Lagosian. Anambra Indigene is not a Lagosian, and Edo State Indigene is not a Lagosian.

Lagos is not owned by a tribe at the moment, but there was a time she was owned by Benin, Portugal and a cartain Yoruboid tribe.

Lagos is a former Capital and was built with the common wealth of Nigeria, it is not Yoruba wealth so Yorubas can not say they own a place they did not build. The last owners were actually the ones who named them. Oko is not a known word, it is the first time I am learning that you can name a Bush, as Bush, when we all know that Bush is bush, so thats tautology

Thank Goodness you guys are showing your intention about Lagos. Let's see how you will take it from the Yorubas with all these revelations. grin
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Pristine664: 3:11am On Nov 29, 2023
texas1990:

Are you minding those Igbos terrorist, this Lagos palava go kill them, oya make them come bring chinedu again. Story kill you all Igbos.

Hahaha Omo I just dey reason how 2027 go be. E be like say end done finally come to this Yoruba liberalism oh.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by cezarman(m): 4:07am On Nov 29, 2023
This tribe wants to turn themselves to the major problem of Nigeria by force oh!

Their Attention seeking too much jare undecided
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by lawani: 5:13am On Nov 29, 2023
In the long run, Lagos will be split and given back to the nations that own it Ijebu, Awori and etc
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Wallade(m): 7:45am On Nov 29, 2023
written007:

Lagos will forever be historically linked with the ancient Kingdom of Benin.

Who named it EKo? Which do you think is probably true of eKo meaning interms of who conquered and named it.. yoruba: Cassava Farm, Bibi: War Camp?

Can't you simply deduce that Lagos was not founded by the Bini people or Oba of Benin?

It is obvious from all research documents that you have put in this space and other information people shared in this space.

Lagos was not founded by the Bini kingdom. They were migrants that settled several years go in an island called Eko. Mind you, Lagos Island is not the "Eko" in the context of this conversation. Lagos island included the "Eko".
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by MT: 8:07am On Nov 29, 2023
Tonididdyx:
H.E Omo'n'Oba N'Edo... Obama Ewuare||

At your order sir "we" ( Edolites) are ready to invade and take back what's ours!

Gallant Edo sons at your service!

Gallant Edo sons about to perish and thrown into the various lagoons grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by pacespot(m): 10:05am On Nov 29, 2023
Even though I'm a Yorùbá, no true son of Yorùbá will deny Benin's existence in the founding of Lagos as we know it today.

1 Like

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by lawani: 10:14am On Nov 29, 2023
pacespot:
Even though I'm a Yorùbá, no true son of Yorùbá will deny Benin's existence in the founding of Lagos as we know it today.

That is the Eleko and not anywhere outside Isale Eko. They received a Benin prince or adopted Benin styled monarchy with chieftaincy titles and married a princess from Benin at a point and only the land owners can finalize on that but at least two chiefs are descended from Benin that was a Yoruba empire. The people that came to Lagos did not speak Edo. They were Olukunmi people. If Okukunmi in Delta are not speaking Edo why do you think there was an Oba of Lagos who spoke Edo? No they were Yoruba not different from Ijebu or Ijesa

1 Like

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by TheBillyonaire: 10:27am On Nov 29, 2023
Pristine664:

Thank Goodness you guys are showing your intention about Lagos. Let's see how you will take it from the Yorubas with all these revelations. grin

It has already been taken. You just do not understand how. Most of Lagos are owned by different entities, and some important places you can only access with key codes, no yoruba man or woman can approach private estates and says ' I am Yoruba, open the gates for me', you will be beaten to the point you will beg for your life. Tribalism dies where and when money and intelligence talks.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Pristine664: 10:44am On Nov 29, 2023
TheBillyonaire:

It has already been taken. You just do not understand how. Most of Lagos are owned by different entities, and some important places you can only access with key codes, no yoruba man or woman can approach private estates and says ' I am Yoruba, open the gates for me', you will be beaten to the point you will beg for your life. Tribalism dies where and when money and intelligence talks.

You are mistaken. Politics triumph and that is why you guys will surely and certainly labour in vain in Lagos. Wait for what will be coming out from Lagos State HOA very soon. As it stands the land and house you are talking about is on lease and your next generation won't be able to lay claim to it.
You guys are not smart, you showed your intention too early and it's already backfiring with many current bills in HOA... Expect more stringent government policies very soon and I bet all you will still do is to scream victimisation.

And you talk about tribalism? Haha wait for 2027 election in Lagos to see the real Yoruba tribalism. grin

1 Like

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by correctguy101(m): 12:02pm On Nov 29, 2023
TheBillyonaire:

Tribalism...

Another prison holding many from coming together to fix what should be fixed...

Their elites only worry about which party is best for them, they don't bother about the tribes involved in whatever party...

Ordinary people are too exasperating. Even up till this moment, they get some kinda funny gratification from simply being addressed as "owners/indigenes" of a State;Lagos (like they have any share in it's harvests) when the real goats are reaping bountiful harvests daily at their own expense...

Smh
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by TheBillyonaire: 12:13pm On Nov 29, 2023
correctguy101:

Tribalism...

Another prison holding many from coming together to fix what should be fixed...

Their elites only worry about which party is best for them, they don't bother about the tribes involved in whatever party...

Ordinary people are too exasperating. Even up till this moment, they get some kinda funny gratification from simply being addressed as "owners/indigenes" of a State;Lagos (like they have any share in it's harvests) when the real goats are reaping bountiful harvests daily at their own expense...

Smh

I just enjoy chatting with the minions and making jest of them.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by TOPMAN4LIFE: 1:25pm On Nov 29, 2023
Armaggedon:
Yoruba please tell me, what is the Yoruba name of Lagos?
Eko is the Yoruba name,
The same way some coastal towns of bonny and port Harcourt in rivers state was changed.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by correctguy101(m): 1:40pm On Nov 29, 2023
TheBillyonaire:

I just enjoy chatting with the minions and making jest of them.

Life never stops to amaze people... Just imagine the foolishness.... smh

This daddy is currently still stuck with some love for the country, else...

Given my usual way of treating things with indifference, I wouldn't even bother with all the nonsense...
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Armaggedon: 1:45pm On Nov 29, 2023
TOPMAN4LIFE:

Eko is the Yoruba name,
The same way some coastal towns of bonny and port Harcourt in rivers state was changed.
Eko is edo
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by TOPMAN4LIFE: 1:54pm On Nov 29, 2023
Armaggedon:
Eko is edo
What do you know,
Go to Lagos and claim the land of you own the land,
Ibo and Edo crossed Ondo state to claim Lagos, you people are just chasing shadow,
Edo and bini that came from Yoruba as some bini people bear Yoruba names till today.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by TheBillyonaire: 2:10pm On Nov 29, 2023
correctguy101:

Life never stops to amaze people... Just imagine the foolishness.... smh

This daddy is currently still stuck with some love for the country, else...

Given my usual way of treating things with indifference, I wouldn't even bother with all the nonsense...

I do not love the country to be frank, I do not know what it is to love a country, I travel anywhere I live and I copy their styles to build my community. Intuitively I know I was born here for a reason. So, there must have been a reason for being born here.

When I figured that out, I had to treat other locations as investment shops and move back to build my own community in my state. It is common sense. Money is faith on colored paper, I do not trust in faith or paper, nor do I trust in numbers on a computer, so I just build my own community with money from my investment shops, so those that are crying about Lagos ownership do not know its just a shop. AS you get money from Lagos or abroad, na to build your own community, and put gates and do the roads, so government has no business coming there. Do your own lake, grow some animals, and plant green trees for oxyen, and walk around naked and smoke some weed and enjoy your tenure on earth.

Lagos is moneyshop.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Armaggedon: 3:20pm On Nov 29, 2023
TOPMAN4LIFE:

What do you know,
Go to Lagos and claim the land of you own the land,
Ibo and Edo crossed Ondo state to claim Lagos, you people are just chasing shadow,
Edo and bini that came from Yoruba as some bini people bear Yoruba names till today.
what is the Yoruba name of Lagos?
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by correctguy101(m): 4:26pm On Nov 29, 2023
TheBillyonaire:

I do not love the country to be frank, I do not know what it is to love a country, I travel anywhere I live and I copy their styles to build my community. Intuitively I know I was born here for a reason. So, there must have been a reason for being born here.

When I figured that out, I had to treat other locations as investment shops and move back to build my own community in my state. It is common sense. Money is faith on colored paper, I do not trust in faith or paper, nor do I trust in numbers on a computer, so I just build my own community with money from my investment shops, so those that are crying about Lagos ownership do not know its just a shop. AS you get money from Lagos or abroad, na to build your own community, and put gates and do the roads, so government has no business coming there. Do your own lake, grow some animals, and plant green trees for oxyen, and walk around naked and smoke some weed and enjoy your tenure on earth.

Lagos is moneyshop.

I like to claim I'm aware of all these kind of views and more...

But..

I just don't know where the obsessiveness comes from when Africa is mentioned especially our crazy obodo Nigeria... Smh

My late Prof claims I suffer from a "program infection" (his choice of word). The crazy old fellow was my best friend until his death but he's a blunt bastard, just like my grandpa.. I miss his company.. smh

I'm already too indifferent to many things and maybe I fear losing this little gum-body I have for Nigeria. That's maybe also why it'll be so tough on those I perceive holding her ransom if I ever get the means.

I could even end so many lives if I feel it'll make the country better... Smh

This intense love might pass before I kick jerrycan though. Who knows..

I'm still a jolly fellow grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by TheBillyonaire: 5:03pm On Nov 29, 2023
correctguy101:

I like to claim I'm aware of all these kind of views and more...

But..

I just don't know where the obsessiveness comes from when Africa is mentioned especially our crazy obodo Nigeria... Smh

My late Prof claims I suffer from a "program infection" (his choice of word). The crazy old fellow was my best friend until his death but he's a blunt bastard, just like my grandpa.. I miss his company.. smh

I'm already too indifferent to many things and maybe I fear losing this little gum-body I have for Nigeria. That's maybe also why it'll be so tough on those I perceive holding her ransom if I ever get the means.

I could even end so many lives if I feel it'll make the country better... Smh

This intense love might pass before I kick jerrycan though. Who knows..

I'm still a jolly fellow grin

I nursed that national ambition for a second, it was not more than a second though, because I realized in a split second that to win election and become a President will be the stuff of magic and miracles. So I chose to localize my ideologies'. If I do not have access to the sovereign wealth to build the country, should at least own a private family estate to build a model community, and that is what I put my life work to.

Many passers-by keep telling me the Governor will give me appointment for the environmentally uplifting projects, and I told them I hate politicians and want nothing to do with them. I think most politicians are timid.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Heavy Military Presence At New Haven Estate, Iba, Lagos / Joe Penney Deletes His False Tweets About Atiku Abubakar / Fela Durotoye Dancing In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.