Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,873 members, 7,828,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai (26344 Views)

Professor Olusegun Sogbesan: The Yoruba Man Who Founded Onitsha Business School / Sanwo-olu’s Second Term Bid Stirs Controversy In Lagos APC / Sunday Igboho’s House Attacked 72 Hours To Lagos Yoruba Nation Rally (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Maliqcious: 6:19pm On Nov 28, 2023
No be news now na today Yoruba writers they like turn things in their favor

2 Likes

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Wallade(m): 6:20pm On Nov 28, 2023
Patriotsleague:

Read this slowly...from guardian newspaper, interview with Oba of Lagos.
https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/lagos-oba-traces-origin-to-benin/

"In the 15th century, the Awori settlement was conquered by the Benin Empire and the island became a Benin war-camp called “Eko” under Oba Orhogba, the Oba of Benin at the time. The Yoruba still use the name Eko to refer to Lagos"

I noticed that you have this on your post. Now if you can think critically, you would realize that you have answered your question.

This simply indicates that Aworis were in Lagos before the Bini, Aworis are the aborigins of Lagos. The Bini people were warrior migrants who came to settle in Eko (just a part of Lagos).

Does that not tell you that the Bini Kingdom people were not the founders of Lagos?
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by lawani: 6:24pm On Nov 28, 2023
The current dynasty of the place was founded by Benin when Benin was a Yoruba speaking city but the present King is paternally descended from an Ijesa man who was a Babalawo married to a princess descended from Benin. He was given the princess to marry because he wanted to leave and return to Ijesa but he was a resource person that they did not want to leave. He was not only given a princess but was also built a palace called Iga Alagba and his son Ologunkutere is the ancestor of the present line of Lagos Kings but the dynasty is descended from Benin. A Yoruba Benin and not the ones who say Yoruba was never spoken in Benin
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by sylve11: 6:26pm On Nov 28, 2023
Kaiser20:
Benin-people founder Lagos abandoned the areas and ran to ITALY

Hahaha 😆 shocked cool
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by codemaniacs: 6:27pm On Nov 28, 2023
TheBillyonaire:

Actually, Edo and Delta are Niger Delta States. And Edo/Delta are those called Bini and they own Lagos historically. How can they align with SW when you are fighting them over their Eko?

No think am o. We go use oil money to wage thermonuclear war and disconnect your little urchins from Lagos and push you to Ilorin so the Fulanis can deal with you grin grin

There's nothing like Niger Delta.

Keep deceiving yourself.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Tzar(m): 6:31pm On Nov 28, 2023
Did you even read the links?
codemaniacs:

I am not arguing in ignorance. You're the one deceiving yourself so I'm just watching you repeat yourself over and over again.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by codemaniacs: 6:34pm On Nov 28, 2023
Tzar:
Did you even read the links?

Keep deceiving yourself...

I will not use my own eyes to brainwash myself.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Wallade(m): 6:41pm On Nov 28, 2023
Patriotsleague:

There is no beef, let's just narrate the true history and story, history can't be changed.

Nobody is arguing that Lagos don't belong to southwest, it is in southwest and aboriginal southwestern people are it's indegenous people, especially Aworis, Epe people etc...but Benin empire created Marina and island areas of Lagos, providing security and enabling people to trade and flourish in Marina and island areas of Lagos... before the coming of Benin people it was bush and swamp in Marina and Lagos island... Portuguese and Europeans trading through the waterways with West Africans attest to this
https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/lagos-oba-traces-origin-to-benin/

So based on your position that is in bold alphabets, though I don't agree with your opinion that Bini people developed Marina and Lagos island. What ridiculous statement and misinformation was the Oba of Benin trying to communicate?
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Tzar(m): 6:42pm On Nov 28, 2023
Now I understand you.
codemaniacs:

Keep deceiving yourself...

I will not use my own eyes to brainwash myself.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by ThaboB: 6:49pm On Nov 28, 2023
Mumucious mutula na him you be
Thundafireseun:
grin
Tinubu founded Lagos
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by lawani: 6:53pm On Nov 28, 2023
Benin empire also was a sister empire to other Yoruba empires using the same language and Edo language was among the many languages of the empire. No Edo speaking group ever entered Yoruba land before Nigeria. Any Benin outpost was a Yoruba town and this includes Onitsha, Ikwerre and etc and this should be well understood. You don't speak any other language in a Benin court apart from Yoruba. No Edo man anywhere in Yoruba land that was not a slave. No Igbo man too and there were no Yoruba men in any Nri enclave or community that was not an outcast Osu or slave. That is how to reconstruct history. The Yoruba in the Benin area were aristocrats and the average Benin did not leave their villages for anything in the past.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by written007: 6:55pm On Nov 28, 2023
Wallade:

"In the 15th century, the Awori settlement was conquered by the Benin Empire and the island became a Benin war-camp called “Eko” under Oba Orhogba, the Oba of Benin at the time. The Yoruba still use the name Eko to refer to Lagos"

I noticed that you have this on your post. Now if you can think critically, you would realize that you have answered your question.

This simply indicates that Aworis were in Lagos before the Bini, Aworis are the aborigins of Lagos. The Bini people were warrior migrants who came to settle in Eko (just a part of Lagos).

Does that not tell you that the Bini Kingdom people were not the founders of Lagos?

Lagos will forever be historically linked with the ancient Kingdom of Benin.

Who named it EKo? Which do you think is probably true of eKo meaning interms of who conquered and named it.. yoruba: Cassava Farm, Bibi: War Camp?

1 Like

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by ofwest47(m): 7:00pm On Nov 28, 2023
All of you say what you like about Lagos.
Lagos remains Yoruba land, Yoruba speaking 🔊 language has being in the land before the existence of private properties.

1 Like

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by julaion: 7:07pm On Nov 28, 2023
Never4getU:

Ogun keel u and the Oba of Benin
if u die this night just no say na wetin u talk against the oba of benin kill you,my hand no dey o
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Fearyourcreator: 7:17pm On Nov 28, 2023
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by ALTIARA: 7:28pm On Nov 28, 2023
spy24:

In this matter I believe the oba of Benin more..

Why ? Because the Benin kingdom and its obas have the longest recorded history in Nigeria and they also had one of the most formal setting before the advent of the white men in Nigeria.. their history is well documented and not just mere say..

I believe the oba is speaking from a factual point of view than all this emotional hearsay people online..

It's true they invaded Lagos & installed a King but the Awori Idejos have always been there. Read the Itsekiris account of the history. Ashipa married a Benin Princess whose son became the first Official Oba Of Eko but Ashipa was a full blooded Yorubaman from Isheri.

The Oba intentionally read history from that perspective but the Idejos own Lagos (Eko). It's like saying the British own Nigeria cos they conquered it for a while. The Oba of Benin himself is a DIRECT descendant of Oduduwa via Oranmiyan. Should the Ooni too say Ife founded or own Benin??

1 Like

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by ALTIARA: 7:28pm On Nov 28, 2023
spy24:

In this matter I believe the oba of Benin more..

Why ? Because the Benin kingdom and its obas have the longest recorded history in Nigeria and they also had one of the most formal setting before the advent of the white men in Nigeria.. their history is well documented and not just mere say..

I believe the oba is speaking from a factual point of view than all this emotional hearsay people online..

It's true they invaded Lagos & installed a King but the Awori Idejos have always been there. Read the Itsekiris account of the history. Ashipa married a Benin Princess whose son became the first Official Oba Of Eko but Ashipa was a full blooded Yorubaman from Isheri.

The Oba intentionally read history from that perspective but the Idejos own Lagos (Eko) 100%. It's like saying the British own Nigeria cos they conquered it for a while. The Oba of Benin himself is a DIRECT descendant of Oduduwa via Oranmiyan. Should the Ooni too say Ife founded or own Benin??
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Bugatti3(m): 7:33pm On Nov 28, 2023
The Awori people are often considered the first settlers in the area that is now Lagos. They were an indigenous Yoruba group and are believed to have settled in the region before the arrival of the Benin Empire and the Portuguese explorers in the 15th century. The Awori played a significant role in the early history and development of Lagos.
Over time, Lagos evolved into a major center for trade and commerce, attracting various ethnic groups and foreign influences. The city's strategic location along the coast contributed to its growth as a hub for maritime activities and trade. As different communities and cultures interacted, Lagos became a diverse and cosmopolitan city, reflecting the rich tapestry of Nigeria's ethnic and cultural diversity.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Bugatti3(m): 7:39pm On Nov 28, 2023
The Benin Empire's influence in the Lagos region is believed to have started around the 15th century. It was during this time that the Oba of Benin, through military expeditions and diplomacy, extended the empire's control over various territories, including parts of what is now Lagos. The Benin Empire's presence in Lagos contributed to the city's cultural and economic development, as it became a significant center for trade and commerce under Benin influence.
The relationship between the Benin Empire and Lagos was complex, involving both cooperation and occasional conflicts. The Benin Empire played a role in the socio-political structure of the area, influencing governance and trade. However, over time, Portuguese explorers arrived in the late 15th century, leading to further interactions and shaping the dynamics of trade and cultural exchange in the Lagos region. This period marked a crucial chapter in the historical development of Lagos as it navigated through various influences and transitions.
The Portuguese influence in Lagos intensified in the late 15th century, with explorers such as Rui de Sequeira establishing trade relations and contributing to the city's growth. Lagos became a notable center for the transatlantic slave trade, further altering its demographic and cultural landscape. Over the centuries, Lagos continued to evolve as a pivotal trading port, experiencing shifts in power dynamics and colonial influences until Nigeria gained independence in 1960. Today, Lagos stands as Nigeria's economic and cultural hub, reflecting a complex history shaped by indigenous, Benin, Portuguese, and other influences.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Eriokanmi: 7:40pm On Nov 28, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Don't mind that overhyped Opolopolr king. With the adultrated Yoruba language they speak, the Benin people used to be our distant relatives. They're always envious of Yorubas.

I dedicate “Ijo Eko” by Legely to all Omo Ekos.
Great jam!
There's nothing to even stress our nerves over. That Edo were the first settlers of Lagos doesn't mean Edo owned Lagos. Edo only settled in an area called Eko, which was an indisputable fact. Also, Edo produced the early monarchs in Lagos. Lagos was known as eko back then. Many of the words on Lagos Island were edo words. They can't be erased.
Such words as:

Iga,
Idunganran,
Idumagbo,
Idumota,
Early Obas of Lagos were always being buried in Benin once they joined their ancestors. They must take them to Edo to Bury and their burial grounds are still in Benin till today. If it wasn't so, then what take a yoruba king from aworiland to Benin to burry...abi ilę ti tan lekoole niii?
The Oba of Benin never distorted history. He said it as it was but trust some people, they must flex their muscles on top of nothing. I remember a day oba Akiolu attacked the oshodi family that oshodi was a borrowed name so they could not claim Lagos, that they knew where the word oshodi came from. This happened when the family was fighting over who becomes the oba of oshodi.

Awori owns a substantial part of lagos , but lagos mainland. It was called awori that time as lagos Island was called Eko. Awori is today's large part of lagos mainland. Na the Portuguese give lagos that general name.

Apart from Lagos , where else in Yorubaland would you see the obas and chiefs white apparel, looking like those of oba of Benin and hue chiefs? Oba Akiolu himself reiterated this, that early settlers of Lagos were the binis. The word Eko is an edo language, not yoruba.l,likewise Oshodin( they later coined it to oshodi).

Till today, an edo man or woman coming to lagos wouid say, I'm traveling to Eko, not lagos.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by PHAYOL81: 8:04pm On Nov 28, 2023
The oba IBINI goofed BIG TIME
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by OVB123: 8:35pm On Nov 28, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Don't mind that overhyped Opolopolr king. With the adultrated Yoruba language they speak, the Benin people used to be our distant relatives. They're always envious of Yorubas.

I dedicate “Ijo Eko” by Legely to all Omo Ekos.
Great jam!
U are pain abi? Take heart my dear.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by gudugudumeje: 8:41pm On Nov 28, 2023
Ilę Ibini, Ado Bini(Ilę Ibinu) as older Yorubas in the eons used to call Benin and refer to Benin Empire respectively. Benin empire is an integral part of Yorubaland; no more, no less. And Yoruba language was the official language in the palace of the Oba of Benin until 1930. And until 1937, the heads of every dead Oba of Beninis was always buried in Ile-Ifę - that is the Orun Oba Ado area in Ifę - a venue available till date to visit. So visit the place....

Oranyan begat Ewuare I and he ruled over the Binis in the place for decades before moving back to Ifę, where he later moved ahead to found Oyo Empire. He left his children to rule.....

Along Ebute-Męta to the stretch of the Lagoon, one of the Benin princes was into pepper plantation and cultivation as well as its export to Portugal in the 16th c. and he was notable for it. His export trades thrivd into a big trade centre in the area attracting more people than Aworis, Ijębus, and the Ujęsas who were in other parts of Lagos like the Island/ Eko Akete, Lekki, Agbadarigi(now called Badagry, as Europeans can call and pronounce rather than the real name), et al. More later....

1 Like

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by OVB123: 8:45pm On Nov 28, 2023
adioolayi:
Make Benin people come collect their Lagos na..

Radarada
He pain you very well. Take heart ooo.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Ashawoman82: 8:48pm On Nov 28, 2023
Tzar:
Whoever is too lazy to research history should STFU.
There was mainland Yoruba land that spanned current SW Nigeria, Kwara, parts of Kogi, most of Benin Republic and parts of Togo.
Lagos island (isale eko) which was first named internationally by portuguese and later explored by the English is 5-10% of current Lagos. This part was initially inhabited by very few wandering Yorubas from the mainland. Most of This parts was sacred uninhabited land used to worship OLOKUN and to do some sacrifices from Yoruba mainalanders.
When the FREED SLAVES that still remember thIer Yoruba heritage requested to come back yo Africa , they were dumped on LAGOS ISLAND.
When mainlanders invaded them, they requested Benin king to help them. This king from the last child of Odudwa who felt marginalized, sent warriors who conquered land for the helpless islanders. Then they set up an outpost called Eko. But when the rest of Yorubaland decided to challenge this, the Benin monarchy decided to relinquish total authority, but demand homage from the EKO (lagos island) king. Until this was stopped much later.
This was the history!
lol..how did u know this.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by OVB123: 8:52pm On Nov 28, 2023
Never4getU:

Ogun keel u and the Oba of Benin
Take heart my dear. He pain you wel-well.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by OVB123: 8:55pm On Nov 28, 2023
Judolisco:
If we tell oba of benin now that d Yorubas founded Benin... E go start dey vex
He pain u abi? Take heart.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Thundafireseun: 10:18pm On Nov 28, 2023
ThaboB:
Mumucious mutula na him you be

I agree…

I no get power for small pikin this today
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Judolisco(m): 10:39pm On Nov 28, 2023
OVB123:
He pain u abi? Take heart.
wetin come concern u
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by Seunfretty: 11:47pm On Nov 28, 2023
If u like hit your head on the ground ..if u like speak good English with watery facts that doesn't hold water...if you like start beating yourself and wasting your time ...Lagos is owned by yorubas...and nothing is going to change that am sorry ...either now or in decades ..Not even the constitution...can you now rest and stop wasting your time

1 Like

Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by texas1990(m): 12:05am On Nov 29, 2023
Zonefree:
I stand with Oba of Benin.
And that will put food on your table mumu, jobless sets of Igbos terrorist.
Re: Who Founded Lagos: Yoruba Or Binis? Oba Of Benin’s Claim Stirs Controversy, Agai by texas1990(m): 12:08am On Nov 29, 2023
seunmsg:

lol. Igbos own Lagos. Oba Eri of Umu-Eri founded Lagos and handed it to his younger brother, Oba of Benin. Oba of Benin then handed over the place to Olofin Ogumfunminire, the father of his girlfriend who then handed it over to Ologun kutere, the product of infidelity between Oba of Benin and Olofin Ogunfunminire's daughter who then handed it over to Ojukwu's father who then handed it over to Peter Obi and his noisy obidient developers before Tinubu hijacked it from him and kept it to himself since then.

Omo Ibo, hope you enjoyed the history? grin grin grin
Are you minding those Igbos terrorist, this Lagos palava go kill them, oya make them come bring chinedu again. Story kill you all Igbos.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests Theodore Orji Over ₦48 Billion Security Votes / Fubara To Wike: "Whatever Happened Is In The Past, My Oga Remains My Oga" / Oshiomhole: I Can't Visit My Village Because Jonathan Destroyed The Road To It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.