Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,353 members, 7,815,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane (10776 Views)

Naira In Transition, Not Jinxed – Bismarck Rewane / 9 Prosperous States In Nigeria Vs 12 Highly Miserable States - Bismarck Rewane / We Did Not Budget N6 Billion To Feed The Police For 2019 Election – INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by ijustdey: 1:29pm On Nov 30, 2023
The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Financial Derivatives Company Limited, Bismarck Rewane, has said that Nigerians are more concerned about the rising food prices and less bothered about the 2024 budget.

According to Rewane, many Nigerians are less interested in the details of the 2024 budget recently presented to the National Assembly by President Bola Tinubu but more worried that the rising food prices are making life difficult for them.

Speaking on Channels Television’s ‘Business Morning’ show, on Thursday, the respected economist said, “In the end, budgetary arithmetics, budgetary mathematics in economics is of no use to anybody except when by this time, six months, if we are buying rice at N40,000 a bag rather than N60,000 a bag, if we are buying bread N900 a big loaf instead of N1,300 which we are doing today. If we are buying garri at lower prices.

“The people are not interested in whether the budget is balanced and what the debt is. How does it (the budget) affect their day-to-day livelihood? That is the key thing.

Tinubu, on Wednesday, said his administration is targeting a 3.76 per cent economic growth in the 2024 fiscal year, as he presented the 2024 budget proposal to a joint session of the 10th National Assembly in Abuja — his first since assuming office exactly six months ago.

This was as the president spotlighted national security, local job creation, and poverty reduction as the top priorities of the 2024 Appropriation Bill which he called the ‘Budget of Renewed Hope.’

On the economy, Tinubu argued that a stable macroeconomic environment is crucial in his administration’s quest to catalyse private investment and accelerate economic growth.

According to The PUNCH analysis, funding to the education sector (N2.18 trillion) is 101.85 per cent more than the N1.08 trillion that was budgeted for the sector in the 2023 appropriation, while the health sector was earmarked N1.33 trillion, and N534 billion has been budgeted for social investments and poverty reduction, amongst many others.

However, Rewane said that many people have become more frustrated in the face of the hard economic realities facing the country.

The economist said the high level of poverty is already causing mental health challenges for many people.

He said, “You will notice that on the streets of Lagos in particular, the number of lunatics has increased and part of it is driven by poverty.

We are having “many mental health issues. People are pushed to the wall. Some of them walk across the road even in moving traffic.”

Rewane added, “People need to feel the impact of the budget. the impact is not going to be felt because of 10 or 12 per cent of GDP, that is N27 trillion; it has to be more. Where is the more going to come from?

“It’s going to come from investors and investors are going to come here when they are sure that their money is safe and the environment is clean, and they can look forward to a brighter future.”

He said the government must be honest with Nigerians on the economic realities, noting that people cannot start pretending to be happy.

“You can fake news but you can’t fake prosperity,” Rewane noted.

https://punchng.com/nigerians-bothered-about-rising-food-prices-not-budget-rewane/

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Lovemeharder(f): 1:32pm On Nov 30, 2023
Okay o... undecided
Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by RepoMan007: 1:37pm On Nov 30, 2023
For the first time in years, harvest season came and there was no dip in food prices.

Instead of probing these disturbing signs, they are projecting a senseless budget to fuel their urge to loot

105 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by MadamVanessa(f): 1:40pm On Nov 30, 2023
shocked

The zoo is cursed, every bastard is complaining of hunger, the other region almost killed a rice truck driver during vandalization ,but we are here eating fat , we have never vandalized truck carrying rice and we'll never disgrace ourselves to that extent..God is wonderful.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Sirmwill: 1:42pm On Nov 30, 2023
MadamVanessa:
shocked

The zoo is cursed, every bastard is complaining of hunger, but we here are eating fat .God is wonderful.

It's you that is eating fat ooo

I am not a bastard but I am currently arguing with hunger 🥺

15 Likes

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 30, 2023
grin grin
Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Rikze: 3:04pm On Nov 30, 2023
shocked

People are really hungry. This country is killing it's citizens steadily and slowly.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by goodnessme1(f): 3:05pm On Nov 30, 2023
It only bother Igbos,we yoruba Muslims are enjoying this government.

Igbos should ask us for forgiveness or we will continue teaching them political lesson. grin grin

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Omoawoke: 3:05pm On Nov 30, 2023
MadamVanessa:
shocked

The zoo is cursed, every bastard is complaining of hunger, but we here are eating fat .God is wonderful.

Lol

When they talk of empty barrels, I give it to you people. Ndi gala lacasera billionaires, the others are eating dusts. grin

Nigeria don turn zoo since obi did not win election, una go come back again next election dey find votes

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Think9ja(m): 3:06pm On Nov 30, 2023
Ok
Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by ahnie: 3:06pm On Nov 30, 2023
I cannot remember the last time I ate....it's bn 2 years now I haven't eaten.

I'm not currently arguing with hunger cheesy
Chai APC Has finished us.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Akwamkpuruamu: 3:06pm On Nov 30, 2023
Apc is full of propaganda and misplaced priorities.

First class accountant wey de ask weda na statistics we go chop, na suegbe...

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Keaton(m): 3:07pm On Nov 30, 2023
Sirmwill:

It's you that is eating fat ooo

I am not a bastard but I am currently arguing with hunger 🥺

She's obviously not in Nigeria, learn to read.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Sultty(m): 3:08pm On Nov 30, 2023
some people thinking is associated with their stomach. Remember a hungry man does not listen to preaching (yoruba adage) let hunger/food be made available then we will have mouth choke for budget matter
Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by soccerlite: 3:08pm On Nov 30, 2023
MadamVanessa:
shocked

You are referring to yourself

Your picture says it all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by iammo(m): 3:10pm On Nov 30, 2023
cool

All these exergeration .. by opposition , Ipob, ellupee

I was at the market today, everywhere was filled up with people shopping

Finished shopping and went to a restaurant, prices remains the same, for same quality of food

Amala 300, meat 600, one limca , action bitters to wash it down

Couldn't even finish it

My question is why does Obi and Ipob supporters think since Tinubu entered people stop eating and living their regular life

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by ATEAMS: 3:10pm On Nov 30, 2023
True that
Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by hartopher76: 3:10pm On Nov 30, 2023
"You can fake news but you can't fake Prosperity" on this I rest my case.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by CrossRhodes: 3:11pm On Nov 30, 2023
Omoawoke:

Lol

When they talk of empty barrels, I give it to you people. Ndi gala lacasera billionaires, the others are eating dusts. grin

Nigeria don turn zoo since obi did not win election, una go come back again next election dey find votes
Ndi ofemman.u
Open air shitters of the federal republic

Always attacking igbos without provocation, don't worry that hunger go finish you soon

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by 07kjb: 3:11pm On Nov 30, 2023
One matches is now #50
People are suffering

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by ecolime(m): 3:11pm On Nov 30, 2023
MadamVanessa:
shocked

If wishes were horses, even beggars would ride.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Noblegraphix20(m): 3:11pm On Nov 30, 2023
No be today naa
Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by aariwa(m): 3:11pm On Nov 30, 2023
Lol…but I thought Agbado idiots are boasting they love poverty and it’s their birthright hahaha 😝

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by fawaz050(m): 3:12pm On Nov 30, 2023
Sir Rewane, you've said it all. Nigerians' reverence of Yar'adua till today is majorly based on the stability of Fuel Price and the consequent stability in CPI during his tenure.

Wetin concern everyday people with GDP growth target, Budget assumptions or Budget Deficit.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Evolutionism: 3:12pm On Nov 30, 2023
grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Prigidypogodo(f): 3:12pm On Nov 30, 2023
iammo:
cool

All this exergeration

I was at the market today, everywhere was filled up with people shopping

Finished shopping and went to a restaurant, prices remains the same, for same quality of food

watching.
stop talking nonsense
you're lying

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by BeigJawnson(m): 3:13pm On Nov 30, 2023
Omoawoke:

Lol

As obi no win election, are you now enjoying the election's winner from townhall?

14 Likes

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by StraightGaay: 3:13pm On Nov 30, 2023
goodnessme1:
It only bother Igbos,we yoruba Muslims are enjoying this government.

Igbos should ask us for forgiveness or we will continue teaching them political lesson.
Pls na forgive us
Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Adewale1603(m): 3:13pm On Nov 30, 2023
Food first. Na who chop belle full will have time to be concerned about 2024 budget

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Bothered About Rising Food Prices, Not Budget — Rewane by Omoawoke: 3:14pm On Nov 30, 2023
BeigJawnson:

As obi no win election, are you now enjoying the election's winner from townhall?

I know this is the next thing to say, but you can say more than that man, obi will never be president of Nigeria!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram: “we Have Won The War, We Need To Win The Peace” – Army / Breaking: Officiating Imams Arrived Buhari/sadiya ah Wedding Venue (Photo) / Court Affirms Deregistration Of 74 Parties By INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.