Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,817 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US (54688 Views)

Bwala: President Tinubu Is Better Than UK Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak / Cost Of Living In UK Compared To Nigeria (Photos) / Lauretta Onochie: Food Is Cheaper This Season Than Same Time Last Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by MT: 11:09pm On Dec 04, 2023
tegrianonigltd:

Lol, come on iG republic of Niger delta, lol newbie, lol I no Dey like faceless rant, come make I show you my passports. Add me do video call, make you know who you dey follow yarn. Nairaland no Dey let people dey get respect.

From the way you constructed your English sentences, I could understand the kind of person you are.

Rest, boy

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by motymop: 12:31am On Dec 05, 2023
mechoau:

As i am typing like this, i am at work in Stockport, my shift is 7:00- 22:00pm which is 15hrs and the nature of the job is support work, just sitting down after morning personal care with just four (4) citizen and we are just 3 staff on duty.

Do you know how much today pay is? During the week, the pay is £10.90 and on Sunday it’s double pay in Stockport, now today pay is £21.80 per hour, now do your maths

15hours multiply by £21.80= £327 for today. Please convert this to Nigeria and how much is that in naira? Keep deceiving yourself with your poor idea.

I earn above £2500 monthly and my shared rent monthly is just £320 with bills. Just keep deceiving yourself

For proof, i have attached one of my old payslip to show per rate so you won’t think I’m just bragging with lies. Now i worked yesterday long day, worked today and I’m still working tomorrow…

Note: my permanent job pay 14:80 per hr so wise up

If you have to work 2 jobs, long hours and take extra times that means your salary isn't enough for upkeep and it also means that you are struggling.

People who earn well in the uk don't work 2 jobs.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by rockyh(m): 2:28am On Dec 05, 2023
mechoau:

As i am typing like this, i am at work in Stockport, my shift is 7:00- 22:00pm which is 15hrs and the nature of the job is support work, just sitting down after morning personal care with just four (4) citizen and we are just 3 staff on duty.

Do you know how much today pay is? During the week, the pay is £10.90 and on Sunday it’s double pay in Stockport, now today pay is £21.80 per hour, now do your maths

15hours multiply by £21.80= £327 for today. Please convert this to Nigeria and how much is that in naira? Keep deceiving yourself with your poor idea.

I earn above £2500 monthly and my shared rent monthly is just £320 with bills. Just keep deceiving yourself

For proof, i have attached one of my old payslip to show per rate so you won’t think I’m just bragging with lies. Now i worked yesterday long day, worked today and I’m still working tomorrow…

Note: my permanent job pay 14:80 per hr so wise up
you have a good paying job

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by orisa37: 4:11am On Dec 05, 2023
INCORRECT REPORTING.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Chiffy: 6:09am On Dec 05, 2023
Kachidubem:

Do you know any graduate currently in a organisation or company working and earning 30k monthly

Step out of your circle and do your findings.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Kachidubem: 6:27am On Dec 05, 2023
Chiffy:

Step out of your circle and do your findings.
Your answer simply says NO.

Goodbye.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Chiffy: 6:56am On Dec 05, 2023
Kachidubem:

Your answer simply says NO.

Goodbye.

Your response simply says you are lazy and self-centered.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by mechoau(m): 7:52am On Dec 05, 2023
motymop:

If you have to work 2 jobs, long hours and take extra times that means your salary isn't enough for upkeep and it also means that you are struggling.

People who earn well in the uk don't work 2 jobs.

See poor boy mentality, sebi you are the one earning much abi? I won’t like to waste my time engaging words with you. Let me leave you to die in silent hunger.

My first job with the council pays me 2,470 monthly and it’s just 35hrs weekly, two long( 7:30-9pm) days and half day ( 2pm-9pm).

So if i have 4 off days, you expect me to just sleep inside house doing nothing when i can pick / do extra 20hrs and get paid.

Your mentality is of first grade
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by tegrianonigltd(m): 8:48am On Dec 05, 2023
MT:

From the way you constructed your English sentences, I could understand the kind of person you are.

Rest, boy

I be waffcity pikin, no be english I write, English no be my mother tongue, no be English then take Dey live good life, perhaps, I do speak well also. So you can use yours to live a good life.

Last reply.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by motymop: 9:24am On Dec 05, 2023
mechoau:

See poor boy mentality, sebi you are the one earning much abi? I won’t like to waste my time engaging words with you. Let me leave you to die in silent hunger.

My first job with the council pays me 2,470 monthly and it’s just 35hrs weekly, two long( 7:30-9pm) days and half day ( 2pm-9pm).

So if i have 4 off days, you expect me to just sleep inside house doing nothing when i can pick / do extra 20hrs and get paid.

It is not about poor boy mentality, it is just the reality of things.

Stop using day offs as excuses. Your salary from your full time job isnt enough.

If you have to work 2 jobs or 3 jobs to survive that means you are struggling financially, that is why you are working yourself to death. Because of the high cost of living, you have to work multiple jobs to keep up with the high cost of living.

There is a difference between working a single job and doing over time there and working in 2 or 3 different jobs and doing over time in each of them, that is something of concern.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by GreenWorld: 5:30pm On Dec 05, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

So you no fit buy am

Please stick to the topic, because this is not about me
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Chidolalar: 8:05pm On Dec 05, 2023
mechoau:

You are a real hustler. If I were privilege like u, I would have done same.
I did same like u while working in Nigeria in a factory but u and I know d pay in naija is too small.
Is there any way u can be of help to me so I can come over there and join u.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:17pm On Dec 05, 2023
mechoau:

The person that quoted you doesn't have a soul. He/she is lost. Allow him to wallow in his ego.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by mechoau(m): 11:00pm On Dec 05, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

The person that quoted you doesn't have a soul. He/she is lost. Allow him to wallow in his ego.

I don’t want to upload my November payslip before but for you to see how dumb he is, attached is my last month pay showing before tax and after tax. And it’s just 35hrs weekly ooooo which is just 2long days (7:30-9pm) and 1 have day. 2pm -9pm
I still have lots of days to rest or use for myself to another work if i want more money

And i only pay 320 for house rent including bills pls tell me how much do i want to spend on food and myself in a week or a month ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:45pm On Dec 05, 2023
mechoau:

I don’t want to upload my November payslip before but for you to see how dumb he is, attached is my last month pay showing before tax and after tax. And it’s just 35hrs weekly ooooo which is just 2long days (7:30-9pm) and 1 have day. 2pm -9pm
I still have lots of days to rest or use for myself to another work if i want more money

And i only pay 320 for house rent including bills pls tell me how much do i want to spend on food and myself in a week or a month ?

👍
That person must b either a politician or working for politician as thug or one of their lackeys.

He is combination of jealous, envious and wickedness.

That is how all of them are. They don't want to see anyone who is not politically affiliated or politically exposed make progress.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by mechoau(m): 7:40am On Dec 06, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

👍
That person must b either a politician or working for politician as thug or one of their lackeys.

That is how all of them are. They don't want to see anyone who is not politically affiliated or politically exposed make progress.

Thanks boss, i later uploaded my last month payslip if you check the pages… i just don’t want to drag more words with him

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by motymop: 12:30pm On Dec 06, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

👍

kissing his ass and going on his dm to beg for money wont make him give you money.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Sunday2021: 1:24pm On Dec 06, 2023
psalmsjob:
I'm posting this as a response to the topic that made Nairaland front page yesterday; "See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10", the link: https://www.nairaland.com/7929193/see-what-someone-bought-hour

UK & US ARE OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER in terms of cost of living see a practical example why doing a price comparison: 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400
1 Midium size Butter = N600
2 Gino Tomato paste = N1,000

Total = N8,800 so your change is N1,200 that's if you exchange pound to naira at offical rate and buying at the most expensive stores or high brands. If you exchange at black market rate and buy at public market "days" you will collect as much as N6,000 after buying everything in that basket....that's about £6 left.

LET'S JUST THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND STOP LOOKING AT AND GLORIFYING ANOTHER MAN'S LAND MORE THAN OUR OWN....OUR OWN NA OUR OWN O grin
do you know how many months you will do in Nigeria before getting the 10k?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by motymop: 1:45pm On Dec 06, 2023
mechoau:

I am not dumb and i just telling you the truth with the info you provided

There is nothing bad in working 2 or 3 jobs to meet up with the bills

The slip you posted give us a bigger picture of your economic situation, also your rent also give a bigger picture of the area you live, it is obvious that you aren't living in a major city in the UK.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by sheeda995(f): 5:45pm On Dec 06, 2023
Kachidubem:

There are jobless people too overseas

I'm talking of , do you know any graduate currently working in a company and earning 30k monthly

Even local government council , no one with uni degree earns 30k
I have university degree and masters,all I earn is 30k npower salary that doesn't come at due times
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Kachidubem: 6:23pm On Dec 06, 2023
sheeda995:

I have university degree and masters,all I earn is 30k npower salary that doesn't come at due times
Is Npower a company or a scheme ?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by mechoau(m): 10:36pm On Dec 06, 2023
motymop:

I am not dumb and i just telling you the truth with the info you provided

There is nothing bad in working 2 or 3 jobs to meet up with the bills

The slip you posted give us a bigger picture of your economic situation, also your rent also give a bigger picture of the area you live, it is obvious that you aren't living in a major city in the UK.

Now i have finally come to a point that you are pained and i doubt you have ever travelled out of Nigeria? So Bcus i pay low rent makes you concluded shallow with little brain?? I live around the city dude and i live in Manchester. I wont necessarily disclose my area In Manchester. Sebi you earn more than me and you live in banana island and i strongly believe you earn 3-4million monthly abi? Have heard you.. you ain’t my type or class to exchange word with.

If you believe that you earn more in Nigeria than uk no problem.. you shaa can’t drag my money with me? And you can’t grab my Schengen visa which i have just got from me with the same opportunity in Uk.. i wish you best in your endeavors

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by motymop: 12:37am On Dec 07, 2023
mechoau:

Now i have finally come to a point that you are pained and i doubt you have ever travelled out of Nigeria? So Bcus i pay low rent makes you concluded shallow with little brain?? I live around the city dude and i live in Manchester. I wont necessarily disclose my area In Manchester. Sebi you earn more than me and you live in banana island and i strongly believe you earn 3-4million monthly abi? Have heard you.. you ain’t my type or class to exchange word with.

If you believe that you earn more in Nigeria than uk no problem.. you shaa can’t drag my money with me? And you can’t grab my Schengen visa which i have just got from me with the same opportunity in Uk.. i wish you best in your endeavors

You are just being aggressive over nothing and all these your bragging wont do you good considering that you work minimum wage in the uk. and btw their is nothing bad in doing that... having a Schengen visa is not a flex, maybe to you it is an achievement but to me it is not. having a visa is a flex to poor people in Nigeria.

Don't think everybody is a poor in Nigeria, just because you went to the UK, and just because you did not achieve your dream in Nigeria does not mean people are not achieving theirs in Nigeria. i am 100% sure you are the type of person that think he earns more than a branch manager or bank CEO in Nigeria after converting pound to Naira. Haha. The reason you love to change your pounds to Naira after every pay is to intimidate ignorant people here and also to feel like you have achieve something even though you earn low and live in the UK

i don't live in Banana island but you cant afford to live in banana island, do not think because you work minimum wage job in the Uk that means you have arrived or that you can suddenly afford to buy a land or rent a house in banana island, no you cant, wake up from your dream.

You are still poor in the UK considering standard of living and also considering the fact that your annual salary isn't up to the national average. You don't have to disclose the area you live in Manchester but your rent and slip has already done the talking for you and the OP is right.(you haven't remove rent, feeding, council tax and gas bill). You pay very low rent in Manchester and it says a lot about your situation and here you are talking about class and type.. that is insanely ridiculous.

I am not trying to be rude, but stop trying to be rude just because you are in the UK doing care work and over time.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Obierika(m): 4:53pm On Dec 07, 2023
Tell me something I don't already know
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:55pm On Dec 07, 2023
motymop:

You are just being aggressive over nothing and all these your bragging wont do you good considering that you work minimum wage in the uk. and btw their is nothing bad in doing that... having a Schengen visa is not a flex, maybe to you it is an achievement but to me it is not. having a visa is a flex to poor people in Nigeria.

Don't think everybody is a poor in Nigeria, just because you went to the UK, and just because you did not achieve your dream in Nigeria does not mean people are not achieving theirs in Nigeria. i am 100% sure you are the type of person that think he earns more than a branch manager or bank CEO in Nigeria after converting pound to Naira. Haha. The reason you love to change your pounds to Naira after every pay is to intimidate ignorant people here and also to feel like you have achieve something even though you earn low and live in the UK

i don't live in Banana island but you cant afford to live in banana island, do not think because you work minimum wage job in the Uk that means you have arrived or that you can suddenly afford to buy a land or rent a house in banana island, no you cant, wake up from your dream.

You are still poor in the UK considering standard of living and also considering the fact that your annual salary isn't up to the national average. You don't have to disclose the area you live in Manchester but your rent and slip has already done the talking for you and the OP is right.(you haven't remove rent, feeding, council tax and gas bill). You pay very low rent in Manchester and it says a lot about your situation and here you are talking about class and type.. that is insanely ridiculous.

I am not trying to be rude, but stop trying to be rude just because you are in the UK doing care work and over time.

I can see it is very obvious this thing really pained you

Instead of you to be happy that your fellow countrymen in another country is able get jobs and earn to pay his bills without knowing anyone due to their fairly just and meritorious system, you are here feeling very angry and bitter.

I don't understand the kind of human being you are, lipsrsealed undecided

Na devil 😈 you be? Haba. Do you know that in Nigeria currently only food is now consuming 70% of middle class income. One can't get anything meaningful unless the person knows someone that knows somebody that knows a politician. It is too bad. Let's tell ourselves the truth. Nigeria should not be exclusively only for politicians.

Yes he is doing minimum wage jobs. Leave it like that.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by motymop: 10:27pm On Dec 07, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

I can see it is very obvious this thing really pained you

Instead of you to be happy that your fellow countrymen in another country is able get jobs and earn to pay his bills without knowing anyone due to their fairly just and meritorious system, you are here feeling very angry and bitter.

I don't understand the kind of human being you are, lipsrsealed undecided

Na devil 😈 you be? Haba. Do you know that in Nigeria currently only food is now consuming 70% of middle class income. One can't get anything meaningful unless the person knows someone that knows somebody that knows a politician. It is too bad. Let's tell ourselves the truth. Nigeria should not be exclusively only for politicians.

Yes he is doing minimum wage jobs. Leave like that.

Having a different opinion is bad belly to you. When he was talking down to other who have a different opinion, i am guessing you didnt see that or are you just an ass kisser who just accept anything told to him or her

I am not against anyone going abroad to work but don't create a false reality because you earn in pounds and stop thinking there are no successful people In Nigeria. just because it is not working for you does not mean it is not working for others.

my last submission is Tell him to stop changing his money to Naira anytime he is paid, he doesn't spend Naira in the UK and yes the OP who created this thread is right, Nigeria is more cheaper than the UK because it is a low income country
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by mechoau(m): 10:52pm On Dec 07, 2023
motymop:

You haven’t answered my question, how much do you earn weekly and monthly? Then show us proof of this? And I’ll take you serious. My one week pay will feed you and feed your 1yr salary
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by motymop: 10:05am On Dec 08, 2023
mechoau:

You haven’t answered my question, how much do you earn weekly and monthly? Then show us proof of this? And I’ll take you serious. My one week pay will feed you and feed your 1yr salary

I don't have to show proof to strangers online about my income. only people with inferiority complex do that...Income are private discussion not for public consumption.

When you were running your bet naija shop in Nigeria, Why didnt you post your income online, suddenly when you went to the UK and start earning minimum wages, you start to brag thinking you are better than Nigerians in Nigeria when obviously you earn and spend in the UK.

i have said this many times, just because Nigeria was not working for you does not mean it is not working for other people, And YES, there are Nigerians living in Nigeria that earn more than you from Nigeria and they also live a low cost life.

Your one week salary cant feed me and my family for 1 years. Stop the cap grin, it might be able to feed me for 3 weeks because of the low cost of things here in Nigeria but your one week salary wont feed you for 3 days that why you have to do over times. ( you just agree with the OP that Nigeria has a lower cost of living than the uk) That is the point i want you to agree and you have done that by yourself.

You don't know me, so stop bragging to a stranger over nothing, it makes you sound crazy.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Tinyemeka(m): 10:19pm On Dec 08, 2023
psalmsjob:
I'm posting this as a response to the topic that made Nairaland front page yesterday; "See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10", the link: https://www.nairaland.com/7929193/see-what-someone-bought-hour

UK & US ARE OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER in terms of cost of living see a practical example why doing a price comparison: 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400
1 Midium size Butter = N600
2 Gino Tomato paste = N1,000

Total = N8,800 so your change is N1,200

Sorry my brain stopped comprehending all that you wrote, as soon as I got to the bolded part.

Nigeria's minimum wage is expressed as a monthly salary which is currently N35,000 per month. How much is that per hour?

9am - 5pm with 1 hour break in between translates to 7 hours per day or 140hours per 4 weeks. So basically the minimum wage per hour is N250 per hour.

If you were going to be factual, you would be comparing foodstuffs that you can buy with N250 in Nigeria and foodstuffs you can buy in the UK with £10.42 (or £9.16 after tax deductions).

So what foodstuffs can you buy with N250?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

President Jonathan Pictured At Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport / APC Zones Senate Presidency To N'central, Speaker To N'east / Drama As Diezani Runs After Buhari At Airport-punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.