Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US (54653 Views)

Bwala: President Tinubu Is Better Than UK Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak / Cost Of Living In UK Compared To Nigeria (Photos) / Lauretta Onochie: Food Is Cheaper This Season Than Same Time Last Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Fearyourcreator: 2:18pm On Dec 04, 2023
psalmsjob:

Is Mamador or Pure oil not good enough for a human being go and verify grin yourself a 75cl groundnut oil is averagely N1,400

Which fresh bread wan fresh pas Trumax bread for Owode ede abeg its still N800 go and taste it grin

Enter market ask for local fowl no speak too much grammar oh grin dem sell it to me N3,000 everytime it was N2500 before cashless and subsidy removal.

Don't be playing cherish your own thing na hin beta pas grin
People wey slavery never finish for their body...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Fearyourcreator: 2:19pm On Dec 04, 2023
Mindlog:

I have never helped anyone back home and nor even built a room in Nigeria.
Okay Sir, God go help us all
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Fearyourcreator: 2:22pm On Dec 04, 2023
psalmsjob:

Live local chicken oh not broilers oh abeg I don't like to eat broilers so I don't know the cost now but local chicken is bea to me grin

You no chop bread reach me my brother 800 bread dey ok
Leave am make he dey inflate price... See this Japa noise na few years , everybody go calm down by the time everyone sees there is no where wey no get disadvantage just like advantage... My own is Nigerian is never as bad as they are painting it... If people wan JP make them go .... Government should not subsidize education again... Especially medical education

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Fearyourcreator: 2:23pm On Dec 04, 2023
tuzle:
all this fine bread are like 1k around my side, then local bread ranges from 850 to 1200 depending on size. But I still doubt local live chicken will be 3k, a kilo of chicken is almost that price or more self.
Live is cheaper na... Cus na you go skin am
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by olatdove: 2:29pm On Dec 04, 2023
Yoi just said rubbish here, are we spend Naira or Pounds here? Now can we buy all this with our own 10naira here, you are using another country's money to pay in Nigeria because you are stupid. If truly we are buying cheaper here then we should be able buy something better with 10naira too. Don't mislead people, thank God Nairalanders are wise.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by joba4luv: 2:50pm On Dec 04, 2023
psalmsjob:
I'm posting this as a response to the topic that made Nairaland front page yesterday; "See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10", the link: https://www.nairaland.com/7929193/see-what-someone-bought-hour

UK & US ARE OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER in terms of cost of living see a practical example why doing a price comparison: 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400
1 Midium size Butter = N600
2 Gino Tomato paste = N1,000

Total = N8,800 so your change is N1,200 that's if you exchange pound to naira at offical rate and buying at the most expensive stores or high brands. If you exchange at black market rate and buy at public market "days" you will collect as much as N6,000 after buying everything in that basket....that's about £6 left.

LET'S JUST THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND STOP LOOKING AT AND GLORIFYING ANOTHER MAN'S LAND MORE THAN OUR OWN....OUR OWN NA OUR OWN O grin

Only. slowpoke can compare cost of living in Nigeria with that of USA. Do you consider the quality of Nigeria products with that of USA? The difference is clear
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by TariDisemi300: 3:04pm On Dec 04, 2023
Your unintelligence is nauseating grin
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by descarado: 3:21pm On Dec 04, 2023
MT:

It is a debt culture in the western world.

Most Nigerians outrightly own their cars.
If you want to live debt free in uk, believe me you can and will be absolutely fine.

If you want to outrightly buy a car believe me you can.
Nigerians are very materialistic. And we can lie to feel good. You got to show them you have arrived mentality. This push us into credits that are not necessary
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by AngelicBeing: 3:25pm On Dec 04, 2023
Sumerians:

You need to be Stoned to death. Oloeriburuku.
Hahahaha, Lol at stoned to death, savages everywhere grin
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by AngelicBeing: 3:27pm On Dec 04, 2023
Artscollection:
To be an agbadorian is a hectic task! You must pledge to defend rubbish with your life.
Buhahaha, una go kill person with laugh for nairaland.com
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by descarado: 3:29pm On Dec 04, 2023
sinero:

They won't want to here this, all they spend their time onnis to wail about Nigeria. In one month in UK, a deduction of 640 pounds was made on my income as tax. None of the mumus would agree to such heavy tax in Nigeria yet they want government magic for the country to become paradise. Silly!
If 640 is deducted from you as tax and you are low income earner,you have the wrong tax code. Its your job to ring HMRC for the right tax code and your money will be refunded to you are you will be placed on the right code.

It has happened to loads of people and they don't ever know that they are being taxed wrong and what to do.

Gets better if you don't earn up the required cut off to pay tax, all tax paid will be returned by the end of that fiscal year.

Most of you guys work with agencies. What you don't know is that your employer most time uses your money to pay tax.
I will not go further than this.
Especially if you have overstayed your welcome.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by OdenKelechi(m): 3:51pm On Dec 04, 2023
So what's the earning like in both places??

What's the value of the currencies involved?

Lastly, are they not getting the amenities they pay for? ordinary roads and power we don't have here
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by OdenKelechi(m): 3:52pm On Dec 04, 2023
LikeAking:
Op u just they make me vex by this time of the day.. We’re u one see slice bread of that quality by for Nigeria @ 800 Naira?

Live chicken of 3k, na immature small broiler, the chicken in that pic mature well.

Grandnut oil pass grandnut oil.. What we use here is bleached palm oil….

Butter pass butter, what we use here is butter from palm nuts, not margarine, etc.. Not the real butter..

Try reason bf u create post..

Don’t compare a third world country to a first world country…

No mind the idiot, e just wan post
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by 247man: 4:55pm On Dec 04, 2023
psalmsjob:
I'm posting this as a response to the topic that made Nairaland front page yesterday; "See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10", the link: https://www.nairaland.com/7929193/see-what-someone-bought-hour

UK & US ARE OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER in terms of cost of living see a practical example why doing a price comparison: 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

Total = N8,800 so your change is N1,200 that's if you exchange pound to naira at offical rate and buying at the most expensive stores or high brands. If you exchange at black market rate and buy at public market "days" you will collect as much as N6,000 after buying everything in that basket....that's about £6 left.

LET'S JUST THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND STOP LOOKING AT AND GLORIFYING ANOTHER MAN'S LAND MORE THAN OUR OWN....OUR OWN NA OUR OWN O grin

You missed the point but I’m not surprised.
Anyways, what we need to consider is your ₦ 8,800 you used to buy in Nigeria, do you make it in 1 hour of “MINIMUM WAGE” ? ₦ 8,800 per hour in Nigeria at 8 hrs/day means you earn over 1.7 million ₦ per month.

Those enjoying that low cost of living in Nigeria are those earning big like yahoo boys and oil companies guys. Not someone on minimum wage. But it’s still better to stay in naija.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Johnstone619(m): 5:54pm On Dec 04, 2023
Abegi rest,where can u work for an hour and collect 10,000 naira in Nigeria?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by abbiboy: 6:17pm On Dec 04, 2023
Difrent:
Even though Migration is as old as humanity Nigerians are making it look like the next Gold rush.
In the past 2 years UK has made over 50billion pounds from Nigerians alone to shore up it's ailing economy and to keep the economy running they make sure they are stuck in jobs their own citizens refused to do while paying heavy taxes at the end of the day....Nigeria and Nigerian economy loses

Those I'm mad at are those doctors that got subsidized medical education and ran to UK to practice....why didn't you go to study medicine in UK?....just game our system.
If you want to practice in UK.....study medicine in the UK too.....abi does it make sense to want to be treating whites but use blacks to train
Ungrateful lot

Tell ur stupid system to pay ur doctors what they pay ur useless national assembly members. And secondly nobody beg nigeria to subsidise her education beside na low quality graduate they still produce that can't compete outside naija.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by sheeda995(f): 6:34pm On Dec 04, 2023
sinero:

Mumu, I know many jobless oyinbo graduates too. Why do u think they get stipends sometimes as universal credit if all of them are employed
Those getting stipends in oyinbo land are people that would have died in Nigeria or become theievs. They are mentally ill people, those with disabilities who cannot work,si gle mothers taking care of children,or those that newly gave birth who cant work,refugees who just came to a new country without permit,new immigrants, seniors (elderly people)people who doesn't like working etc. But in Nigeria it's able body,young vibrant people who are interested in working,energetic to work,that are unable to get jobs
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by MT: 6:54pm On Dec 04, 2023
tegrianonigltd:

You can get a room all bills included for 600 to 650 in London, outside London from 400 mr man.

You no know meaning of all bills included, Wey Dey earn 1530 after tax, no go wan buy car that time na, except you are doing 2k and above, men dey run 2300 to 3500.

You can pay 10 pounds for 20gb and free calls and text within the uk, at work, mall, mart, house there are always WiFi. You fit no finish the 20gb self, that one needed mostly when you dey road for map.

So there is all bills included rooms.

Except you are with your wife and she Dey work too, council tax na from 90pounds, electricity and gas mostly around 150pounds for couples, they combine and make life easy.

Calm down,

enter the town. And see how things are been run not sitting in Nigeria and allow those influencers to deceive you,

Trips abroad self no cost, a flight to Paris is 45 pounds to and fro, with other neighboring countries. Flight to Canada you can see 350 pounds and above.

Is that the kind of life you desire to live outside the country ?.

Lowest of the low of everything.

I don't live this kind of life outside the country.

I understand your perspective now.

We ball differently.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by BurntDodo: 7:27pm On Dec 04, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

Uh oh someone wasn't paying attention during economics class in secondary school

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by paduzman: 7:34pm On Dec 04, 2023
MEEVEET:

Lmao

It cost you 1 hour to earn that money in the UK... Ok minimum wage ooh

In Nigeria it would take you just over a week to earn that on minimum wage

So please do you calculations again
thank you very much.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by tegrianonigltd(m): 7:41pm On Dec 04, 2023
MT:

Is that the kind of life you desire to live outside the country ?.

Lowest of the low of everything.

I don't live this kind of life outside the country.

I understand your perspective now.

We ball differently.

Life make more sense when you are settled and earning well Mr man, medical care, leave your door unlocked to sleep, walk anytime, peace, no car horns, there are so many things to it, not just the living. Men dey earn enough and above, they are doing fine, you think it all about money ? That your political class send their kids and wife here?

The benefits, you give birth, they care for the child, they come to check on the child every week, send medications, every every, a dot must not stain that child,

Kids go to school absolutely free till high school, allow you the parents to save and build your dynasty.

There are a lot. It’s not just money money. Peace of mind comes with it too.

My health of recent telling on me, them dey follow up on me back to back, sending letters of appointments, for scan, test etc, this is it. I pay nothing. Insurance.

Your president self Dey come here for medical attention.

You think those bastard don’t know good environment ??
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by MT: 7:46pm On Dec 04, 2023
tegrianonigltd:

Life make more sense when you are settled and earning well Mr man, medical care, leave your door unlocked to sleep, walk anytime, peace, no car horns, there are so many things to it, not just the living. Men dey earn enough and above, they are doing fine, you think it all about money ? That your political class send their kids and wife here?

The benefits, you give birth, they care for the child, they come to check on the child every week, send medications, every every, a dot must not stain that child,

Kids go to school absolutely free till high school, allow you the parents to save and build your dynasty.

There are a lot. It’s not just money money. Peace of mind comes with it too.

Have you calculated the amount you pay almost every week for so many activities - Field activities, trips costing 10GBP, 20gbp, 50GBP almost every week. Do the maths.

In the same UK, some are putting their wards into private schools, knowing that the level of public secondary school has dropped.

You painted the picture like it is heavenly. It is not. Just an illusion which you pay for underneath

3 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by crusufixo(m): 7:47pm On Dec 04, 2023
It really sad that some people would not wake up reality. Self denial is real .....
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Bonky010: 8:25pm On Dec 04, 2023
Na WA 4 OP..THESE NA LIKE 3 DAYS FOOD NO CAP.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Bonky010: 8:27pm On Dec 04, 2023
Na WA 4 OP...THESE NA LIKE 3 DAYS FOOD NO CAP.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Bonky010: 8:33pm On Dec 04, 2023
Can your hourly pay rate in nigeria get u all dat.OP.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by tegrianonigltd(m): 9:33pm On Dec 04, 2023
MT:

Have you calculated the amount you pay almost every week for so many activities - Field activities, trips costing 10GBP, 20gbp, 50GBP almost every week. Do the maths.

In the same UK, some are putting their wards into private schools, knowing that the level of public secondary school has dropped.

You painted the picture like it is heavenly. It is not. Just an illusion which you pay for underneath

Stay Nigeria no vess, even your president Dey use the healthcare lol. If no be abroad,many to Dey Nigeria hopeless. Can an average man save 15m yearly. Say average man oh, with minimum wage. Where men now dey do 20m, girls can buy their car themselves, take trips themselves without spreading legs. You know no anything.

Stay Nigeria.

Standard to schooling dropped, you dey Nigeria Dey tell person Wey Dey here, if you like no coke. Dey there. Except you get connections sha
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Love800(m): 10:23pm On Dec 04, 2023
Bro, do u know how one can go to sweden?
YesDaddyTill203:

So is the government not a microcosm of the Nigerian society itself? If you remove everyone in government today and replace them with brand new ones like those on NL, in universities, in academia, and so on, do you really think there will be any drastic improvement? I can tell you right now that it will be worse. Their number one priority is to make sure that they are comfortable once their positions are over. In fact, their family members will remind them of that just in case they try to be too nice.
The govt that you have at any given time is a representation of your society. The average Nigerian is a crook, is corrupt, and is looking for quick riches. The ones complaining are doing so just because they have not gotten a chance to steal. We have maybe 2 percent ethical people, while 98 percent are unethical and will steal if given the chance.
On the other hand, in the West, the average White person is ethical and cares more about his society's wellbeing than about himself getting rich. I will say they have 80 to 90 percent ethical and maybe 10 percent unethical, especially in the US. But in Scandinavian countries, the ethical number is almost 100 percent. A white person will not steal even though he knows that he can get away with it. A Nigerian will steal even though he knows that he will be exposed sooner or later.
Blame your society, we are all part of the problem.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Kachidubem: 10:38pm On Dec 04, 2023
Chiffy:

First of all, you sound like one coming from a background of privileges. So your circle will be a circle of people with the same background. Step out of your circle and do your findings.

Secondly, you don't have to lie to support your point. 150k -180k as entry-level
I have people in Federal Govt jobs, who have worked for over 10 years, and barely make between 120 - 150k as salary.
Then I recommend you research (as in, actually make calls or ask people people outside your circle) on how much is earned monthly by the majority of state govt workers outside Lagos and FCT, or even professionals like lawyers and accountants and then semi-skilled workers like factory workers and hotel staff
Even in Lagos 50-70k is still a cap for many semi-skilled workers
Do you know any graduate currently in a organisation or company working and earning 30k monthly
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Kachidubem: 10:40pm On Dec 04, 2023
sheeda995:

I know many graduates and masters holders not earning anything. I know many with Npower Jon earning 30k. Me myself,I earn 30k alawi, You are crazyyyy
There are jobless people too overseas

I'm talking of , do you know any graduate currently working in a company and earning 30k monthly

Even local government council , no one with uni degree earns 30k
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by MT: 10:46pm On Dec 04, 2023
tegrianonigltd:

Stay Nigeria no vess, even your president Dey use the healthcare lol. If no be abroad,many to Dey Nigeria hopeless. Can an average man save 15m yearly. Say average man oh, with minimum wage. Where men now dey do 20m, girls can buy their car themselves, take trips themselves without spreading legs. You know no anything.

Stay Nigeria.

Standard to schooling dropped, you dey Nigeria Dey tell person Wey Dey here, if you like no coke. Dey there. Except you get connections sha

You can only dream of places I have been.

All these newbies that managed to squeeze into UK within the two years will never cease to surprise me.

You live like rats only to squeeze money together to save and you feel you have arrived.

Your normal routine is your one room shared apartment to office and back home. Is that life?

Anyone that raises a contrary opinion must be in Nigeria.

One day you will realise how the system is skewed against you. I repeat what you are seeing is an illusion.

It is daytime, smell the coffee, boy

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by tegrianonigltd(m): 11:00pm On Dec 04, 2023
MT:

You can only dream of places I have been.

All these newbies that managed to squeeze into UK within the two years will never cease to surprise me.

You leave like rats only to squeeze money together to save and you feel you have arrived.

Your normal routine is your one room shared apartment to office and back home. Is that life?

Anyone that raises a contrary opinion must be in Nigeria.

One day you will realise how the system is skewed against you. I repeat what you are seeing is an illusion.

It is daytime, smell the coffee, boy

Lol, come on iG republic of Niger delta, lol newbie, lol I no Dey like faceless rant, come make I show you my passports. Add me do video call, make you know who you dey follow yarn. Nairaland no Dey let people dey get respect.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Igbo Traders And Thugs Fight At Ladipo, 1 Dead - IgbereTVNews / Where Is Nigeria's President, Muhammadu Buhari? - BBC / El-Rufai's Son Shares Photo Of His Father And Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.