Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,808 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US (54595 Views)

Bwala: President Tinubu Is Better Than UK Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak / Cost Of Living In UK Compared To Nigeria (Photos) / Lauretta Onochie: Food Is Cheaper This Season Than Same Time Last Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by LikeAking: 11:02am On Dec 03, 2023
bdon123:

U sound uneducated.u are definitely an illiterate.

He is an idiot!

4 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by LikeAking: 11:05am On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

You guys focus on the money earned but not on what the money earned can purchase....the purchasing power of the money. See another analysis for you to stop Lmao grin

If our bobo londoner works for the standard 8 hours per day and earning £10 per hour and he works for 5 days a week; he would have earned = £10 x 8 hours = £80/ day x 5 days/week = £400/week x 4 weeks = £1,600 per month. With this earning bobo londoner is taking nothing home at month end and cannot afford to buy that kind of £10 food every day if he does he might be in debt see why:

Now for bobo pays average of £1,480 for house rent monthly and pays average of £140 for transportation to work. That's £1,480 + £140 = £1,600 per month ONLYgrin. If bobo londoner tries to buy his £10 food everyday as man must wak that's £10 x 30 days = £300 per month.

Therefore, bobo londoner must werk grin on Saturdays to survive that's £80 x 6 days × 4 weeks = £1,920 - £1,480 - £140 - £300 = £0.00 per month grin

So Bobo Londoner must werk grin on Sundays to have £80 at every month end grin

Workers in Nigeria do not work on Saturdays and Sundays before you start your comparison again grin

Dreamer!

U don go London bf?

It’s that work that made them great…

It’s a good thing..

Rest!

5 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by tuzle(m): 11:07am On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:
I'm posting this as a response to the topic that made Nairaland front page yesterday; "See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10", the link: https://www.nairaland.com/7929193/see-what-someone-bought-hour/8#127286855

UK & US ARE OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER in terms of cost of living see a practical example why doing a price comparison: 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400
1 Midium size Butter = N600
2 Gino Tomato paste = N1,000

Total = N8,800 so your change is N1,200 that's if you exchange pound to naira at offical rate and buying at the most expensive stores or high brands. If you exchange at black market rate and buy at public market "days" you will collect as much as N6,000 after buying everything in that basket....that's about £6 left.

LET'S JUST THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND STOP LOOKING AT AND GLORIFYING ANOTHER MAN'S LAND MORE THAN OUR OWN....OUR OWN NA OUR OWN O grin
guy stop it now, that oil is never 1400 in Nigeria. Even the bread as fresh as it is can never be #800. Live chicken #3000? U are a big joker.

12 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by slimstanakacns(m): 12:05pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:
I'm posting this as a response to the topic that made Nairaland front page yesterday; "See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10", the link: https://www.nairaland.com/7929193/see-what-someone-bought-hour/8#127286855

UK & US ARE OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER in terms of cost of living see a practical example why doing a price comparison: 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

Total = N8,800 so your change is N1,200 that's if you exchange pound to naira at offical rate and buying at the most expensive stores or high brands. If you exchange at black market rate and buy at public market "days" you will collect as much as N6,000 after buying everything in that basket....that's about £6 left.

LET'S JUST THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND STOP LOOKING AT AND GLORIFYING ANOTHER MAN'S LAND MORE THAN OUR OWN....OUR OWN NA OUR OWN O grin
but it will take a day or more of hard labour in nigeria to earn 10 pounds but it will take only an hour to make 10 pounds in the uk, my brother use ur brain

6 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Otunbakayce: 12:13pm On Dec 03, 2023
Difrent:

Wetin stop you from going to study medicine Stoopid phool.
As if everyone will be a doctor.
LMAO! Do you know what I do for a living?
Bitterness and hatred will consume you slowpoke.
Go and study in medical school or tell your family member to do so and then stay back in Nigerian.
Stvpid illiterate.

4 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by MICHEALADEX(m): 12:30pm On Dec 03, 2023
LikeAking:

The quality is not the same..

Our own is even worse than GMO.. Our own processed food are filled with chemicals..

Our tomato paste for example is filled with food coloring and tickner, sugar, etc… They won’t allow such nonsense in their place..

Spag pass spag, abi u know no.. The spag in that pics, look like child’s spag?

Even Noodles made in Nigeria pass Noodles made in Nigeria..

They have higher quality over there..

U must not argue everything..

I simply know when a child speaks

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Abagworo(m): 12:33pm On Dec 03, 2023
Devaluation of Naira was sudden so it means more expensive living based on our currency not exchange rate.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Kepukepu: 12:34pm On Dec 03, 2023
Yes true, how about minimum wage and standard of living?
Are they the same?

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Justnation: 12:37pm On Dec 03, 2023
You didn't consider the income parity and purchase power, the UK is far far better than Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by LikeAking: 12:48pm On Dec 03, 2023
MICHEALADEX:

I simply know when a child speaks

U are a big illiterate..

Confamed!

4 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Difrent: 12:56pm On Dec 03, 2023
Otunbakayce:
LMAO! Do you know what I do for a living?
Bitterness and hatred will consume you slowpoke.
Go and study in medical school or tell your family member to do so and then stay back in Nigerian.
Stvpid illiterate.

I'm afraid if you see this as bitterness
You don't deserve the time I use to type this reply......it's not worth my time engaging someone that thinks this low

Nothing wey person no go see for nairaland

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by descarado: 1:08pm On Dec 03, 2023
thelegend1:
You people are forgetting the tax that comes with that income, as well as VAT on the items purchased. In reality, that £10 is worth 6£
And you don't pay any VAT in Nigerian goods you purchase?

When l read somewhere that Nigerians are the most insecure people on earth, I never took it serious but seeing posts like this, I believe that 100%.
This comment is born out of nothing but jealousy for fellow Nigerians living abroad.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Nextt: 1:25pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

Do the calculations. 1 hour is N10,000 in conversion. If he or she works average of 7 hours that is N70,000 in one day, 350,000 in a week, 1.4 million naira in a month. This is just their minimum wage per month. The 10,000 is 0.7% of their wage. Extremely very very affordable

Compare that to your minimum wage of N30,000 per month. Using N8000 to buy those things will kill the person survivally. This is 26.7% of their wage. How is that affordable? Tell me. Did you do your maths before creating this thread?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by DesChyko: 1:32pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:
Workers in Nigeria do not work on Saturdays and Sundays before you start your comparison again grin

Which kain rock are you living laidis? 🤣

Me that is just observing break, to resume work again in less than 30 mins time.

No work extra days nah, make expenses kpai you. That you have to call that bread #800 sure me say you don't know warris going on for quite a while now.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by LadyG05: 1:39pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

You must be highly foolish to reason as such.

But to help you, keep £10 and #10 side by side and make your purchase.

7 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by nedu666: 1:41pm On Dec 03, 2023
DaddyJapan:

You are missing the point. Without some kind of government subsidy (through Universal credit), which Japarists are not able to avail of, £10/hr won't get you a room anywhere in London.

So everyone in UK lives in London. Oga there are Nigerians in every city in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

4 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by DeleTaller: 1:52pm On Dec 03, 2023
CHRISTFUCKER:
Nigeria is a forking shit hole

I rather be in a prison in the UK than a shit hole ruled by a pissing retard

Your prayer and wishes are granted

3 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Femmyfamous4u(m): 1:53pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

We all agree but the income is the main thing.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Sucre6: 2:03pm On Dec 03, 2023
emmybobo1:

OLoDO. Do you earn 8k in one hour

As in ehh, the guy no just get sense, I can't believe someone that has common sense would make this kinda dumb comparison,

6 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Sucre6: 2:04pm On Dec 03, 2023
Nextt:

Do the calculations. 1 hour is N10,000 in conversion. If he or she works average of 7 hours that is N70,000 in one day, 350,000 in a week, 1.4 million naira in a month. This is just their minimum wage per month. The 10,000 is 0.7% of their wage. Extremely very very affordable

Compare that to your minimum wage of N30,000 per month. Using N8000 to buy those things will kill the person survivally. This is 26.7% of their wage. How is that affordable? Tell me. Did you do your maths before creating this thread?

I never wanted to reply to the op, but if I did, this is what I would have told him too, his myopic view point threw me off guard.

6 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by thelegend1(m): 4:09pm On Dec 03, 2023
descarado:

And you don't pay any VAT in Nigerian goods you purchase?

When l read somewhere that Nigerians are the most insecure people on earth, I never took it serious but seeing posts like this, I believe that 100%.
This comment is born out of nothing but jealousy for fellow Nigerians living abroad.

Pls respond intelligently.
At no point did I say Nigerians don't pay VAT.
My point is that both income tax and VAT (plus other taxes) are way higher in the UK compared to Nigeria.
Nobody is jealous of you as I've experienced life on both sides of the equator.
Perhaps living abroad is your greatest achievement and ambition in life

6 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by thelegend1(m): 4:12pm On Dec 03, 2023
Mindlog:

If you are earning £10 per hour and working 40 hrs in a week, in 4 weeks it will be £1,600

UK govt will not the tax the first £1,047.50 because that is your tax-free allowance and would only tax the balance of £552.50.

For that £552.50 the income tax will be £110.35 while the National Insurance will be
£66.3, it then means the total tax to pay is £176.65

The estimated take-home pay for the month will be £1,423.35

Quite an impressive and apt breakdown.
Though I feel the VAT on purchase and one more other tax was left out by you.

Yet again, impressive breakdown still.

3 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by thelegend1(m): 4:15pm On Dec 03, 2023
LikeAking:

It’s beta to earn big and spend big..

Their govt do wonders for their citizens and migrants with those task..

Task is like an investment, it pay up big time..

That what most of you don’t understand..

I actually understand your point. Over in the UK you can see your taxes at work in different areas of the economy.

But in Nigeria, the reverse is the case. Your tax is actually used to oppress you.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by milcah5050: 4:20pm On Dec 03, 2023
Don't isolate doctors and other health workers. Other workers are leaving too.Don't isolate doctors and other health workers. Other workers are leaving too....

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by psalmsjob: 4:41pm On Dec 03, 2023
Tallesty1:
You are lying to deceive yourself not me. Life chicken 3k?
The price of broilers is 10k - 15k. You cant get adult local fowl for 3k now.

I bought local chicken which is my favourite for N3000 weekly and the chicken in the list is just chicken thigh so I substitute that for a full chicken that I know the price. grin

Anyways from the official receipt for those items the chicken thigh is worth £2.65 which is about N2,,650 at offical rate or about B3,800 at black market rate.

1 Share

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by psalmsjob: 4:44pm On Dec 03, 2023
LikeAking:
Cost of living is cheaper there..

Way cheaper…

At least they earn big and spend big, unlike Nigeria.

What's progressive about earning BIG and Spending BIG compared to earning SMALL and Saving BIG grin

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by LikeAking: 4:52pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

What's progressive about earning BIG and Spending BIG compared to earning SMALL and Saving BIG grin

See poverty mind set?

Earn big and spend big..

Imagine say person wey Dey earn small no go ever buy car although him life and enjoy the good things of life…

5 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by LikeAking: 4:52pm On Dec 03, 2023
milcah5050:
Don't isolate doctors and other health workers. Other workers are leaving too.Don't isolate doctors and other health workers. Other workers are leaving too....

Doctors have every right to leave…

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by psalmsjob: 4:53pm On Dec 03, 2023
Nextt:

Yes I did and showed you the workings grin but you on the other hand live in Nigeria but exchange their pound to naira value without calcuting that for them there to get the value you are looking at from here they have to have same conditions of Nigeria in place there to see the value you're envisaging. Simply put its cheaper to live in Nigeria for both bobo londoner and naija minimum wage earner.

But this underscores our mentality; WE WANT TO LIVE OYINBO LIFE WHILE IN NAIJA

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by psalmsjob: 4:58pm On Dec 03, 2023
LadyG05:

You must be highly foolish to reason as such.

But to help you, keep £10 and #10 side by side and make your purchase.

I will choose £10 if I'm in London with its hard conditions and choose N10 if I'm in Nigeria with its soft conditions grin

Of course I guess you won't understand because you think £10 = N10 but actually £10 = N1,001 furthermore if we follow the logic of most of you £10 should be equal to N10,000 so that you can feel like earning BIG money grin

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by psalmsjob: 5:06pm On Dec 03, 2023
tuzle:
guy stop it now, that oil is never 1400 in Nigeria. Even the bread as fresh as it is can never be #800. Live chicken #3000? U are a big joker.

Is Mamador or Pure oil not good enough for a human being go and verify grin yourself a 75cl groundnut oil is averagely N1,400

Which fresh bread wan fresh pas Trumax bread for Owode ede abeg its still N800 go and taste it grin

Enter market ask for local fowl no speak too much grammar oh grin dem sell it to me N3,000 everytime it was N2500 before cashless and subsidy removal.

Don't be playing cherish your own thing na hin beta pas grin

5 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by psalmsjob: 5:10pm On Dec 03, 2023
bdon123:

U sound uneducated.u are definitely an illiterate.

Mr Educated Illiterate you have said nothing objectively about the write up how is it sounding? Just because your brain cannot grasp it doesn't mean that's how it sound to everybody....let me ask you please; in what language do you think? grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Marvelous Barinaadaa Sent Out Of School For Wrapping Her Book With Obi's Poster / FG Begins Cash Transfer To 200,000 Nigerians / WTO: Okonjo-Iweala Will Not Win – Kemi Olunloyo Tells Ngozi To Move On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.