Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,240 members, 7,818,823 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US (54689 Views)

Bwala: President Tinubu Is Better Than UK Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak / Cost Of Living In UK Compared To Nigeria (Photos) / Lauretta Onochie: Food Is Cheaper This Season Than Same Time Last Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by BananaPeel(m): 9:52pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:
I'm posting this as a response to the topic that made Nairaland front page yesterday; "See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10", the link: https://www.nairaland.com/7929193/see-what-someone-bought-hour

UK & US ARE OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER in terms of cost of living see a practical example why doing a price comparison: 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400
1 Midium size Butter = N600
2 Gino Tomato paste = N1,000

Total = N8,800 so your change is N1,200 that's if you exchange pound to naira at offical rate and buying at the most expensive stores or high brands. If you exchange at black market rate and buy at public market "days" you will collect as much as N6,000 after buying everything in that basket....that's about £6 left.

LET'S JUST THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND STOP LOOKING AT AND GLORIFYING ANOTHER MAN'S LAND MORE THAN OUR OWN....OUR OWN NA OUR OWN O grin
Make I prove just two of your points wrong.
That bread for my area na 1200.
Old layer fowl na 4000. What you have in the basket na broiler and it's like 9000 here.
How far?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by sunkieisland(m): 9:52pm On Dec 03, 2023
I don't know which part of NIgeria you live. perhaps I should move there.

Where I live, the bread you called #800 is #1200
Live Chicken hasn't been 3k in the last year, it starts from like 5-6k
Soya Oil, #1400 ke, say like 2k

Stop giving village prices to people living in urban centres
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by KarinaSlim(f): 9:53pm On Dec 03, 2023
Inner19:

what am I hearing?

You don't mean it? grin

Please how can my friend in USA get a Nigeria Visa and move to Nigeria?

Will she need Proof Of Funds? grin

Hahahaha🤣🤣🤣🤣

I like the picture u posted🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Your too funny🤣

I'm liking you already.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by thatigboman: 9:56pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:
I'm posting this as a response to the topic that made Nairaland front page yesterday; "See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10", the link: https://www.nairaland.com/7929193/see-what-someone-bought-hour

UK & US ARE OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER in terms of cost of living see a practical example why doing a price comparison: 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

Total = N8,800 so your change is N1,200 that's if you exchange pound to naira at offical rate and buying at the most expensive stores or high brands. If you exchange at black market rate and buy at public market "days" you will collect as much as N6,000 after buying everything in that basket....that's about £6 left.

LET'S JUST THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND STOP LOOKING AT AND GLORIFYING ANOTHER MAN'S LAND MORE THAN OUR OWN....OUR OWN NA OUR OWN O grin
Op, u didnt add onions. That onions reach N5,000. Onions that I bought today for 3 pieces N1,000.00.
And u didnt add the fact that it is 1 hour minimum wage amount. N10,000 minimum wage work is like 10 days work, not 1 hour.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Emeskhalifa(m): 9:56pm On Dec 03, 2023
I assume you (OP) are a graduate and just take a look at the comparison you are bringing up.

You should be ashamed of yourself and return to your school to demand for a refund of your school fees.

If you want to compare, you should compare what a 1hr minimum wage of Nigeria can get you with what a 1hr minimum wage of UK can get you.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by KarinaSlim(f): 9:59pm On Dec 03, 2023
Inner19:

what am I hearing?

You don't mean it? grin

Please how can my friend in USA get a Nigeria Visa and move to Nigeria?

Will she need Proof Of Funds? grin

Proof of Funds ke?

Didn't u hear when I said everything is FREE.

Is like you don't know Nigeria my country.

Everything is Free grin
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by motymop: 10:00pm On Dec 03, 2023
LikeAking:
Point of correction, the quality of the products here and there are not the same..

Life is cheaper in Yanke than Naija, @ OP..

U must not argue everything…

I don’t think you have a car at your age in Nigeria, but it’s a norm in Yankee..

We’re will Nigerians earn one hour wage of 12k..

Secondly, I don’t think you eat or even buy food stuffs, or give ur gf money to go to the market..

What’s inside that basket is more than 6500.

The quality of food in Nigeria is more better than in the Uk and Us.
Food is more cheaper in Nigeria
Fruits in Nigeria are more tasty
Food in Nigeria are organic
Chicken more organic and tasty
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by b3llo(m): 10:03pm On Dec 03, 2023
modernWays:
How many times are we going to tell people that food is the cheapest thing abroad. It is the way their societies being designed, the logic is , if you can comfortably feed yourself, the tendency to steal or commit crime will significantly reduce.

Aside that, cost of living in Nigeria is way cheaper than in Western countries to those who have tasted both side. Nigerians living in Nigeria can't afford to live a quality lives with their wages or salaries.
in Nigeria the rich are criminals
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Inner19(m): 10:03pm On Dec 03, 2023
KarinaSlim:

Hahahaha🤣🤣🤣🤣

I like the picture u posted🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Your too funny🤣

I'm liking you already.

I liked you already from the moment I saw your picture grin grin grin

Do u mind we take our conversation to whatsapp?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by franugo(m): 10:03pm On Dec 03, 2023
LikeAking:
Point of correction, the quality of the products here and there are not the same..

Life is cheaper in Yanke than Naija, @ OP..

U must not argue everything…

I don’t think you have a car at your age in Nigeria, but it’s a norm in Yankee..

We’re will Nigerians earn one hour wage of 12k..

Secondly, I don’t think you eat or even buy food stuffs, or give ur gf money to go to the market..

What’s inside that basket is more than 6500.

I shock.

That chicken alone is worth like 5k
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by ManOfSon: 10:04pm On Dec 03, 2023
Nigerians and their voodoo economics. Whoever wrote this doesn't have a clue. How many Nigerians who aren't politicians can earn the equivalent of £10 a day let alone an hour? Besides, people on minimum wage in the advanced societies have social security protections from health insurance to tax credits and other subsidies. People should just stop dabbling into topics they know nothing about.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by onosbaba3310: 10:06pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

You guys focus on the money earned but not on what the money earned can purchase....the purchasing power of the money. See another analysis for you to stop Lmao grin

If our bobo londoner works for the standard 8 hours per day and earning £10 per hour and he works for 5 days a week; he would have earned = £10 x 8 hours = £80/ day x 5 days/week = £400/week x 4 weeks = £1,600 per month. With this earning bobo londoner is taking nothing home at month end and cannot afford to buy that kind of £10 food every day if he does he might be in debt see why:

Now for bobo pays average of £1,480 for house rent monthly and pays average of £140 for transportation to work. That's £1,480 + £140 = £1,600 per month ONLYgrin. If bobo londoner tries to buy his £10 food everyday as man must wak that's £10 x 30 days = £300 per month.

Therefore, bobo londoner must werk grin on Saturdays to survive that's £80 x 6 days × 4 weeks = £1,920 - £1,480 - £140 - £300 = £0.00 per month grin

So Bobo Londoner must werk grin on Sundays to have £80 at every month end grin

Workers in Nigeria do not work on Saturdays and Sundays before you start your comparison again grin

Na only London dey UK? What happened to the place with lower house rent? Everytime, bills high for UK, bills high for UK, like say na only London dey UK, oya compare the analysis with rent outside London🙄🙄

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by ClearFlair: 10:10pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

This is an ignorant topic
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by sammyj: 10:10pm On Dec 03, 2023
ok ooooo. Mr Eazy!! grin grin
MEEVEET:

The comparison is between minimum wage here and there

How's that difficult to get
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Jughead29: 10:11pm On Dec 03, 2023
All these analysis will only increase inflation in Nigeria so please stop now...

Just like one useless politician back then when fuel was N165 comparing Nigeria to South Africa that Fuel in South Africa cost N200. (Dead Brain)

But in Nigeria a monthly minimum wage is just N30, 000
in South Africa as at then it was N120, 000

Instead compare both minimum wages so that people will know the reality....

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by paxonel(m): 10:11pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

minimum wage in Nigeria is approximately N30,000 which is £30
And you just said you can earn £10 in one hour in the UK.
Do you see the difference now?

Please, is there any job in the UK that you will be paid £30 once in a month?
Who has ever survived in the UK with that kind of condition?
Reason it now

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by IfnobeGod20: 10:13pm On Dec 03, 2023
Cost of living is cheaper, what of standard of living?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Snakedoctor1: 10:15pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

This is a display of some economic ignorance. I mean the advice your predicated on your analysis. What is cost of living without a comparison with standard of living. If I buy a jar of milk 200 naira in Nigeria where my average income is 2000naira and 500 naira in the UK where my average income is 1000naira which I'd better ?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by loliapoopy2013(f): 10:16pm On Dec 03, 2023
Are they in the same category as Nigeria? We always like to flex muscles with people who are not our mates.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Ikpunnegi01: 10:19pm On Dec 03, 2023
MEEVEET:

Lmao

It cost you 1 hour to earn that money in the UK... Ok minimum wage ooh

In Nigeria it would take you just over a week to earn that on minimum wage

So please do you calculations again
Tell that ogbomoso boy the BEST truth which he no go ever hear from his parents and school.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Karlifate: 10:20pm On Dec 03, 2023
Such a foolish comparison.

In UK, you earn in Pounds, and you spend in Pounds.

In Nigeria, you earn in Naira, and you spend in Naira.

Converting the Pounds to Naira is needless cos your Naira is useless there.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Surelay: 10:23pm On Dec 03, 2023
You did not get yesterday trend very well.
The 10 pounds is for 1 hour work

£10 × 8 hrs =£80 = #80,000 plus in Nigeria
So a day job in uk =2 months job in Nigeria

And for 10 pouds to buy those things is great and you can still have a lot to save after tax
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by reddingtonblack: 10:24pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

You guys focus on the money earned but not on what the money earned can purchase....the purchasing power of the money. See another analysis for you to stop Lmao ; works for the standard 8 hours per day and earning £10 per hour and he works for 5 days a week; he would have earned = £10 x 8 hours = £80/ day x 5 days/week = £400/week x 4 weeks = £1,600 per month. With this earning bobo londoner is taking nothing home at month end and cannot afford to buy that kind of £10 food every day if he does he might be in debt see why:

Now for bobo pays average of £1,480 for house rent monthly and pays average of £140 for transportation to work. That's £1,480 + £140 = £1,600 per month ONLYgrin. If bobo londoner tries to buy his £10 food everyday as man must wak that's £10 x 30 days = £300 per month.

Therefore, bobo londoner must werk grin on Saturdays to survive that's £80 x 6 days × 4 weeks = £1,920 - £1,480 - £140 - £300 = £0.00 per month grin

So Bobo Londoner must werk grin on Sundays to have £80 at every month end grin

Workers in Nigeria do not work on Saturdays and Sundays before you start your comparison again grin

I can't believe you came back to spew rubbish again after it was made obvious your post was a blunder inspired from myopic reasoning

How can someone who earn £10 per hr go for houses of £1400 a month, even when the screenshot you attached stated social workers go for houses within range £200- £800. why not try £700
What will you gain trying falsify what is a public knowledge, cost of living abroad is better cos the purchasing power is on a good rate plus, employment rate is also good these are the factors that influences standard of living and cost of living.
Lastly, need i remind your ignorant ass bankers OAP, civil engineers, mechanics works on saturday and nurses/doctors, lasma, police, presenters or journalist work on sundays.

Ordinary carton of chicken is more than #30k minimum and you dare open a thread to spew gibberish
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by uche393: 10:25pm On Dec 03, 2023
if you earn in USD or GBP or you're a polithiefcian......then the cost of living Will favor you
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by maryscotland: 10:25pm On Dec 03, 2023
How can you be comparing Dollar to Naira
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 10:30pm On Dec 03, 2023
MEEVEET:

Lmao

It cost you 1 hour to earn that money in the UK... Ok minimum wage ooh

In Nigeria it would take you just over a week to earn that on minimum wage

So please do you calculations again
and you bought all these that price 8yrs ago.. I was expecting u to protest as u did in 2014.. no wonder one politician said ppl like u will rather commit suicide than to protest

U voted nonsense and now want us to manage.. may God manage Ur life and that of Ur family members the way APC are managing Nigeria since 2014
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Okechinwadike: 10:31pm On Dec 03, 2023
Akpaparazy:
omo uk and the United States is expensive as shit rent and mortgage wan kill people ooo,plus in Nigeria we pay rent per annum down here nah monthly ooo
you can't stay in Nigeria for 6months, because am sure you are not in Nigeria. as am typing this the whole of my area is dark for the pass 3weeks now
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by LikeAking: 10:32pm On Dec 03, 2023
motymop:

The quality of food in Nigeria is more better than in the Uk and Us.
Food is more cheaper in Nigeria
Fruits in Nigeria are more tasty
Food in Nigeria are organic
Chicken more organic and tasty

Processed foods?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Okechinwadike: 10:34pm On Dec 03, 2023
Akpaparazy:
omo uk and the United States is expensive as shit rent and mortgage wan kill people ooo,plus in Nigeria we pay rent per annum down here nah monthly ooo
I kneel down the beg you please senior man don't ever think of coming back believe me brother
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by otosa(m): 10:34pm On Dec 03, 2023
But how easy to get that money in a day talkless of An hour?
Think about that!!!!
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Evolutionism: 10:34pm On Dec 03, 2023
I'm wondering why people are not casting spells on this eleribu op and cursing him as well.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Multiversed: 10:40pm On Dec 03, 2023
The statistics is wrong though.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply)

APC Zones Senate Presidency To N'central, Speaker To N'east / Drama As Diezani Runs After Buhari At Airport-punch / Reactions As Oshiomhole Exposes & Disgraces Okorocha, Casting & Binding Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.