Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,172 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos (19444 Views)

Why Is The Yoruba Not United In Business & Politics / The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state / They" Say YORUBA Are Cowards Really? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by OyinO: 8:16pm On Dec 07, 2023
Ghostagain:

Are you aware that the name "Africa" is a Greek word ?
Does that mean that Africa was first a Greek settlement?

Edit: Africa is a Roman word, not Greek.

If it were you, you'll insult me over this correction. Nansense an ingredient
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 9:10pm On Dec 07, 2023
Raf4:

It is only a foool and slowpoke fraud like you that will believe that the same place the Portuguese visited, met indigenous people and established trading contacts with in 1472 was founded in 1630 by one set of people from over 400km away.
1. I never said Lagos was founded in 1630. I showed you a map published in 1630, your brain is very confused.
2. The earliest maps and records of the region which mention Lagos all claim Lagos is a part of Benin
3) once again, you confuse Benin kingdom with its capital city (Benin city). Lagos is a part of Benin kingdom !
Map of Africa published in 1747 below.
4. It is like your brain can't register. You have to be corrected several times on the same thing. All I have just said here, I already told them to you.
5. Your intelligence is so limited, yet you think you belong in discussions about history.
6. Your onis are liars, they always have been, they were originally priests and they lied themselves into being considered kings and now they are calling themselves emperors 🤣 the same Ife which nobody can find in ancient maps 😂 when was Ife ever an empire as opposed to a small village?

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 9:21pm On Dec 07, 2023
Raf4:

So how come a morọn like you is telling stories of the same events of over 600yrs ago?
I'm quoting papers written by people who witnessed the era. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?
Why do I constantly have to repeat it ?
Do you understand the meaning of "eyewitness written documents" ?

I have not quoted anything said by anybody who didn't live in the era which we are studying ?
What does this have to do with the words of the Oba of Benin, his father or his grand father?

I'm not like you ! I'm not quoting people of today ! I'm quoting people who died hundreds of years ago but before they died, they left published notes of what they saw in our region.

The only liars are you and your Oni. It is you whom is quoting people of today to describe things which happened hundreds of years ago.
It is you who still can't understand that ogiso is a fvcking fairytale. It is you who don't understand that the written form of language which we have today is not indigenous to us ! It is a recent thing which we got from the European ! You keep alluding to "records" which some "elders" are supposed to have. There is no such thing !

Your onis are liars, they always have been, they were originally priests and they lied themselves into being considered kings and now they are calling themselves emperors 🤣 the same Ife which nobody can find in ancient maps 😂 when was Ife ever an empire as opposed to a small village?

At this point you are extremely deluded.
I can't talk to you anymore since you are not making any sense. I doubt it is possible to be dumber than you in this world, I even wonder how you managed to live long enough to learn how to write.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 9:22pm On Dec 07, 2023
OyinO:

If it were you, you'll insult me over this correction. Nansense an ingredient
I can differentiate an honest mistake from an ignorant statement.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 9:56pm On Dec 07, 2023
Ghostagain:

1. I never said Lagos was founded in 1630. I showed you a map published in 1630, your brain is very confused.
2. The earliest maps and records of the region which mention Lagos all claim Lagos is a part of Benin
3) once again, you confuse Benin kingdom with its capital city (Benin city). Lagos is a part of Benin kingdom !
Map of Africa published in 1747 below.
4. It is like your brain can't register. You have to be corrected several times in the same thing. All I have just said here, I already told them to you.
5. Your intelligence is so limited, yet you think you belong in discussions about history.
6. Your onis are liars, they always have been, they were originally priests and they lied themselves into being considered kings and now they are calling themselves emperors 🤣 the same Ife which nobody can find in ancient maps 😂 when was Ife ever an empire as opposed to a small village?

Open your mind to learning and stop being delusional. You said Bini founded Lagos and I said not possible. Why? Because the 1st oba of Lagos was installed circa 1630, while Portuguese already came to Lagos, met Awori people there and established trading contacts with them as far back as 1472.

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 10:02pm On Dec 07, 2023
Ghostagain:

I'm quoting papers written by people who witnessed the era. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?
Why do I constantly have to repeat it ?
Do you understand the meaning "eyewitness written documents" ?

And I'm asking you to mention the names of eye witnesses whose papers you're quoting now. Give the names of authors of those phantom eyewitness written documents.

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 10:05pm On Dec 07, 2023
Raf4:

And I'm asking you to mention the names of eye witnesses whose papers you're quoting now. Give the names of authors of those phantom eyewitness written documents.
I literally posted links to the websites hosting the documents.
Your head is very thick.
And of course your previous comment is you repeating your unsubstantiated claims again.

History-haram is a name which fits a fanatic like you.
Sense just can't enter your head.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 1:13am On Dec 08, 2023
Ghostagain:

I literally posted links to the websites hosting the documents.
Your head is very thick.
And of course your previous comment is you repeating your unsubstantiated claims again.

History-haram is a name which fits a fanatic like you.
Sense just can't enter your head.

The nonsense links of your village market square gossip can only satisfy the appetite of dullard like you. You're not talking to fools like those in your enclave that you can cook all sorts of lies for.
The Portuguese have it in their archives the records of their encounter with Aworis in Lagos in 1472, when your oba didn't even have any idea or knowledge of the place, yet you want me to believe your idle talk of founding same Lagos about 2 centuries later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 1:22am On Dec 08, 2023
Omobude244:

ozuor
ife owns benin but whenever Oba of Benin and Ooni meets, Ooni always stood up for the Oba grin grin

In your widest day dreams. Even in the arrangement of kings according to their seniority, your oba is not even among the first 5.
Ooni of Ife, Sultan of Sokoto, Alaafin of Oyo, Awujale of Ijebu, Olowu of Orile Owu, before your Oba of Bini is considered probably after Shehu of Borno.

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 1:26am On Dec 08, 2023
Ghostagain:

So, when was the 1st Oba of Lagos installed?
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 1:35am On Dec 08, 2023
Raf4:

So, when was the 1st Oba of Lagos installed?
Look, you are too dumb to discuss history. Stop mentioning me. You can't learn, stop wasting my time.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Thebadpolitican(m): 6:58am On Dec 08, 2023
Raf4:

In your widest day dreams. Even in the arrangement of kings according to their seniority, your oba is not even among the first 5.
Ooni of Ife, Sultan of Sokoto, Alaafin of Oyo, Awujale of Ijebu, Olowu of Orile Owu, before your Oba of Bini is considered probably after Shehu of Borno.

Check it out ooni is a fraud

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Omobude244: 6:58am On Dec 08, 2023
Raf4:

oh
i tot i was arguing with a human being with sense
now i know it is all sentiments
the same people that claimed tinubu is better than obi because of sentiment. i am not surprised though

go and learn ur history
or enjoy ur ignorance

peace out

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 8:58am On Dec 08, 2023
Omobude244:

oh
the same people that claimed tinubu is better than obi because of sentiment. i am not surprised though

go and learn ur history
or enjoy ur ignorance

peace out
The guy seems to suffer from some mental problems.
You just can't have a rational discussion with him.
If you give him evidence which proves him wrong, he immediately rejects the evidence and repeats his disproven claim or his unsubstantiated beliefs.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by absoluteSuccess: 6:54pm On Dec 08, 2023
Abagworo:

It was in reference to Oyo. Do thorough research.

A thourough researcher is your slave who goes on and on putting up information you never know to exist gut which you will keep putting down with all the verbal tricks in the book, Ive done that with macof and tao11 and I know where it led me with those bunch of psychopaths.

From Western banks of the Niger to the Atlantic as far as ancient Dahome just to be conservative with my claims, people speaking "Anago" or "Ayonu" were identifies by one name at a time by their neighbours, although they ascribe city state identities to themselves, but like the English is made up of Angle, Welsh, Celtic and Saxon, they were all "English" (from Angle-land to England) to we outsiders.

Its left to you to tell how foreigners discriminate an "Awori" from "Oyo" as far as Timbuktu as far back in time, when the closest neighbour in Dahome refers all as Anagonu.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 7:45pm On Dec 08, 2023
Omobude244:

oh

go and learn ur history
or enjoy ur ignorance

peace out

You're now showing what is truly eating you deep inside. You carry the bitterness of your election lost enter history and hate for a whole tribe. Cretin!
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 7:55pm On Dec 08, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

Check it out ooni is a fraud

The elders in your village are fraud. Your oba's fraudulent claim made him to be confined into a cubicle of his hut palace, claiming he no dey travel, he no dey go on transfer. He knows for sure if he show face for public functions he will be seated far behind the likes of Ooni, Alaafin, Sultan, Awujale, Alake etc. This is what he is running away from.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 8:00pm On Dec 08, 2023
Ghostagain:

Look, you are too dumb to discuss history. Stop mentioning me. You can't learn, stop wasting my time.

Your elders at home are dumb. Dunce.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by nobaga: 8:23pm On Dec 08, 2023
Do not let these fraudulent nonentities, trying tooth and nail to snatch victory from the top, drag you into roforofo fight.

I understand why they have to be set straight and educated because if lies are repeated often enough, gullible people believe themselves.

They have been ignored for too long. Do you really think they do not know they are liars and fraud that never had tangible history until Oba displaced their Ogiso. Even their own Ogiso known to the minorities within them as wicked, has been denied.

Raf4:

Your elders at home are dumb. Dunce.

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 8:44pm On Dec 08, 2023
nobaga:
Do not let these fraudulent nonentities, trying tooth and nail to snatch victory from the top, drag you into roforofo fight.

I understand why they have to be set straight and educated because if lies are repeated often enough, gullible people believe themselves.

They have been ignored for too long. Do you really think they do not know they are liars and fraud that never had tangible history until Oba displayed their Ogiso. Even their own Ogiso known to the minorities within them as wicked, has been denied.

Thanks for your words of advice bro.

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Christistruth03: 2:29am On Dec 09, 2023
Raf4:

1.Dispute the fact that the Portuguese sailed into Ereko/Eko/Lagos Island in 1472 and met Aworis/Yoruba there
2. Provide the date the 1st Oba of Ereko/Eko/Lagos was installed.
3. Now reconcile the events and prove how Bini founded Lagos or how Lagos belongs to Bini.

Photo shows Eko Ende, Eko Onde and Eko Ajala all in Osun State

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Christistruth03: 2:32am On Dec 09, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

My screenshot to you says even the Portuguese called it eko, curomo meaning ekonuame the full word the Benin gave to the lagos settlement

The Portuguese had their own name they gave the settlement they likened lagos as one of their city in Portugal called lagos and they nicknames it in their text as lagos interchangeably with the word eko

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Christistruth03: 2:34am On Dec 09, 2023
Raydos:
The fact that it's not even only Lagos that bears the name "Èkó" in Yoruba land has sealed the deal,

Because some Benin claimed "Eko" is a Benin word lol,

Just like the word "Akin" a yoruba word for a Strong man
And "Akin" A English word for something of similar nature

Because these words almost sound the same and has the same spellings in both Yoruba and English does that make English people the owner of Yoruba language?

Lol

Here are 7 other places in Yoruba land that also bears the name "Èkó"

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Christistruth03: 2:37am On Dec 09, 2023
Raf4:

I mentioned names of about 5 communities that still exist till today, yet you're still pretending.
If you say Eko means war camp or arsenal in bini language, howcome there's no single Eko in Bini city or anywhere again in Bini territory? Only a fool will believe that Bini, in 15th/16th century went about 400km away to establish war camp in an area already surrounded by many existing communities like Ijebus, Ilajes, Oyos, Dahomy etc.

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Thebadpolitican(m): 8:28am On Dec 09, 2023
Christistruth03:

LOL the yorubas people were the ones that named lagos curomo

You don't get eko is the short version of the original called eko-nuahme mispronounced by Europeans as curomo
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Christistruth03: 12:28pm On Dec 09, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

You don't get eko is the short version of the original called eko-nuahme mispronounced by Europeans as curomo

Eko is the way the yoruba Ijebu pronounced ereko after ereko Market on the Island where King Kosoko's European and Slave Markets were located and where he traded with the Ijebu who sold him slaves from the hinterland

Eko (ereko) means field in yoruba and erekosun means Island

ereko Market is still on lagos Island today!

There is eko Ende (field at the back ) and eko Ajala ( Ajala's field) Towns in Osun State .

eko Ende was one of the Locations of the Jalumi War of 1878 against the Ilorins

By the way Benin is from a Yoruba Word Ile Ibinu which Prince Oranmiyan of Ile Ife called them but we're are not interested in dragging Benin or it's History with them

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by cevek11: 1:09pm On Dec 09, 2023
Does it mention Benin, or the relation to Benin? If not, it's likely just another story book

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 2:06pm On Dec 09, 2023
cevek11:
Does it mention Benin, or the relation to Benin? If not, it's likely just another story book
Most of the yoruba guys in here are either kids, either mentally ill. The discussion was over the moment I presented evidence which proves Lagos was just a part of Benin. They still want to argue, against irrefutable evidence.
You can see in their comments that they think this is a fight instead of a historical research exercise. The yorubas are not interested in history. They are playing a game, and I am too old to play silly games.

The main mission of many yorubas on social media is to destroy the field of west African history and replace it with ethnocentric yoruba fairytales.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Christistruth00: 5:12pm On Dec 09, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

https://broadcastersint.com/lagos-eko-lagos-state-no-mans-land-yoruba-by-alan-c-burns/

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 11:55pm On Dec 09, 2023
Procashtips:

Too noisy set of a people.
Is it possible that these guys don't understand the meaning of the verb "to found" ?
In many of their online papers, and on social media they seem very confused. First of all they deliberately misquote the Oba of Benin. Then they confuse "to found" with "to find".
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Procashtips(m): 10:20am On Dec 10, 2023
Ghostagain:

Is it possible that these guys don't understand the meaning of the verb "to found" ?
In many of their online papers, and on social media they seem very confused. First of all they deliberately misquote the Oba of Benin. Then they confuse "to found" with "to find".

Most can't comprehend.

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Christistruth03: 2:25pm On Dec 10, 2023
sotall:
You want to talk about history of Lagos and you are quoting a book written in 1913 by Yoruba Revisionists.

Like seriously grin grin

And some of you dont even go near that part that talks about Aworis paying tax to the Benins.

One of the many truths that prevails but you cant accept it.

Losi was a Lagos Prince he was the Son of the Oba of Lagos

He wrote Itan Eko by John B. Losi (1913)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Ijaw Women Of America Elect New Executives With Deborah Abbey As President And / Ooni Of Ogunwusi's Sisters At The Burial Of Their Grandmother / Sadiya Bayero-Sanusi Celebrates Birthday With Her Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.