Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,527 members, 7,816,285 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos (19445 Views)

Why Is The Yoruba Not United In Business & Politics / The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state / They" Say YORUBA Are Cowards Really? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Christistruth03: 2:56pm On Dec 10, 2023
Raf4:

So, who is the eye witness you're referring to here? And which documents?

Portuguese sailed ⛵️ into Ereko that they named Lagos in 1472, met Awori Yoruba there, established trading contacts with them and all these were well documented by them. After about 2 centuries later, your oba of Bini forcefully hijacked the control of the trading activities, installed a king on the parcel of land gifted him by Aromire and the 1st oba was installed around 1630s.
My question is how can you establish a place in 1630 when the place was already in existence and in communication with the outside world, Portuguese, as far back as 1472?

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by OyinO: 9:42pm On Dec 13, 2023
Ghostagain:

I can differentiate an honest mistake from an ignorant statement.

Enjoy yourself. All the insults you've been piling on others, what gain have you obtained therefrom?
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 10:12pm On Dec 13, 2023
OyinO:

Enjoy yourself. All the insults you've been piling on others, what gain have you obtained therefrom?
It is strange that you felt insulted while I was merely saying that there are mistakes which are honest mistakes and others which are ignorant mistakes. Don't blame me for your own lack of self-esteem. My statement was a general statement.

Now let me talk about you: not understanding what a PRE-COLONIAL map is and their importance to historical research, that shows a lack of understanding of the concepts of time and history. Learn what historical research is about and do away with the "oral-tradition" scam.

Once again: never blame someone else for your own feelings. Your feelings are your problem and yours alone.
If you feel that you are insulted, too bad, not my problem. The words I write, those are my problems, a logical reading of my words (rather than an emotional one) shows no insult to you, rather a general statement.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by XAUBulls: 10:50pm On Dec 13, 2023
Christistruth00:

Look,
Benin Cannot even Swim not to talk of fighting the Awori and Ijebus who can swim like fish in Water

When it get down to the Wire and you dig deeper you will discover that the people who actually ran the show were the Itsekiri who even had Ijebu roots anyway

Na Itsekiri carry Benin come Lagos

And the Itsekiri even consider themselves to be Yoruba' People anyway

Benin People cannot Swim and they Cannot Canoe
So Benin defeating Awori and Ijebus on Water is out of the Question

Just say it was the Itsekiri
And the Itsekiri had Ijebu roots

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 11:02pm On Dec 13, 2023
XAUBulls:
Just for your info, @christistruth is a known low iq guy, each time he comments on topics outside of "culture" everybody calls him out for bring an idiot. He only makes sense to Yoruba ethnic champions who don't care that he has no logic.

After explaining things to @christistruth several times over several years, he just can't learn and makes again all the mistakes which I educated him on.

1. Benin kingdom is not Benin city ! Benin city is only the capital of Benin kingdom.

2. Warri was a part of Benin kingdom

3. Lagos was an other part of Benin kingdom.

4. I have already proven what I said, most especially in front of @christistruths' eyes, several times over several years, but it just doesn't enter his scull. He's too dumb.

Below is a pre-colonial map of Africa, it was published in 1747, I already posted it at least 3 times on this thread.
I posted many other pre-colonial maps and texts. But I guess you prefer @chrustistruth's tales by moonlight because he strokes your ethnic ego.

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by OyinO: 9:51pm On Dec 14, 2023
Ghostagain:

It is strange that you felt insulted while I was merely saying that there are mistakes which are honest mistakes and others which are ignorant mistakes. Don't blame me for your own lack of self-esteem. My statement was a general statement.

Now let me talk about you: not understanding what a PRE-COLONIAL map is and their importance to historical research, that shows a lack of understanding of the concepts of time and history. Learn what historical research is about and do away with the "oral-tradition" scam.

Once again: never blame someone else for your own feelings. Your feelings are your problem and yours alone.
If you feel that you are insulted, too bad, not my problem. The words I write, those are my problems, a logical reading of my words (rather than an emotional one) shows no insult to you, rather a general statement.

No problem
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by XAUBulls: 1:38pm On Jan 03

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by XAUBulls: 1:42pm On Jan 03
Raf4:

So, who is the eye witness you're referring to here? And which documents?

Portuguese sailed ⛵️ into Ereko that they named Lagos in 1472, met Awori Yoruba there, established trading contacts with them and all these were well documented by them. After about 2 centuries later, your oba of Bini forcefully hijacked the control of the trading activities, installed a king on the parcel of land gifted him by Aromire and the 1st oba was installed around 1630s.
My question is how can you establish a place in 1630 when the place was already in existence and in communication with the outside world, Portuguese, as far back as 1472?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by garfield1: 9:39am On Jan 04
Cc ejimatic
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by ejimatic: 10:51am On Jan 04
garfield1:
Cc ejimatic
. The Aworis were the first settlers in Lagos. IT was the Portuguese traders that gave them the name Lagos. Lagos is also in Portugal till today. The Nigerian history is also in support of the fact that Yorubas were that early settlers in Lagos not the Benin people!
I also agree that the Benin people of Edo State are also the descendants of Yoruba.There forefather was a son of Oduduwa.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by garfield1: 10:55am On Jan 04
ejimatic:
. The Aworis were the first settlers in Lagos. IT was the Portuguese traders that gave them the name Lagos. Lagos is also in Portugal till today. The Nigerian history is also in support of the fact that Yorubas were that early settlers in Lagos not the Benin people!
I also agree that the Benin people of Edo State are also the descendants of Yoruba.There forefather was a son of Oduduwa.

Wanted to discuss something private with you.let me email you

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by ejimatic: 11:26am On Jan 04
garfield1:

Wanted to discuss something private with you.let me email you
Ok !
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by garfield1: 11:31am On Jan 04
ejimatic:
Ok !

I just sent.check
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by ejimatic: 12:10pm On Jan 04
garfield1:

I just sent.check
I have replied yiu sir!
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Evboesi: 2:54pm On Jan 04
ejimatic:
Benin people are not descendants of oduduwa, there is no text anywhere that state that. A very minute section of the Benin people have this rigmarole and association with Oduduwa
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by ejimatic: 3:13pm On Jan 04
Evboesi:
Benin people are not descendants of oduduwa, there is no text anywhere that state that. A very minute section of the Benin people have this rigmarole and association with Oduduwa
But are you aware that One of Oduduwa Children is Onibenin of Benin. His children and descendants settled in Edo State . making up Benin Land.Years later some migrated to Benin Republic .That is why we have Yoruba speakers in Benin Republic till today . They are desecedants of Oduduwa! too
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by ejimatic: 3:20pm On Jan 04
Evboesi:
Oduduwa had a son Okanbi who had seven children .Their names in order of birth are Olowu of Owu, Onisbe of Sabe, Onipopo of Popo, Oba of Benin, Orangun of Ila, Alaketu of Ketu, and Alafin of Oyo. Oba of Benin is a decendat of Oduduwa. He later moved to Benin Land now EdO State . Benin people are descendants of Oduduwa. A new king in Benin must come to Ile-Ife as part of the kingship rite. Much later some Benin people went to Benin Republic to settle there .That is why there are Yoruba speakers in Benin Republic today.They are all descendants of Oduduwa.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Evboesi: 3:51pm On Jan 04
ejimatic:
But are you aware that One of Oduduwa Children is Onibenin of Benin. His children and descendants settled in Edo State . making up Benin Land.Years later some migrated to Benin Republic .That is why we have Yoruba speakers in Benin Republic till today . They are desecedants of Oduduwa! too
many of you here are so retarded and mentally messed up, you conjure new versions of history everyday with no historical proof, backing or background whatsoever. If i tell you to quote anything now you start foaming in your mouth.

I know of onisabe, i know of onipopo, i will tell you there is no onibenin, i would tell you for a fact that it is only very recently Dahomey became republic of Benin. Read up and strengthen your brain ire o.

Beyond the Oba’s family and a few other family, the overwhelming majority of Benin people and families did not have that association and rigmarole with Oduduwa, hence Benin people are not descendants of Oduduwa, only a very minute is
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by ejimatic: 7:30pm On Jan 04
Evboesi:
many of you here are so retarded and mentally messed up, you conjure new versions of history everyday with no historical proof, backing or background whatsoever. If i tell you to quote anything now you start foaming in your mouth.

I know of onisabe, i know of onipopo, i will tell you there is no onibenin, i would tell you for a fact that it is only very recently Dahomey became republic of Benin. Read up and strengthen your brain ire o.

Beyond the Oba’s family and a few other family, the overwhelming majority of Benin people and families did not have that association and rigmarole with Oduduwa, hence Benin people are not descendants of Oduduwa, only a very minute is
I don't want to reply you because it seems yiu lack manners in the way you express yourself.
Nobody is winning any argument here.We are just rubbing our minds.
For our readers, I will emphasize again that

1. Benin in Edo State originated from Ile Ife
2. Yorubas in Benin Republic originated from Oduduwa. They are part of Yoruba Benin people in Edo State that live in Benin Republic
3 Aworis are Lagos early settlers. The Portuguese named Lagos after Lagos in Portugal.

The people of Benin Republic are not owners of Lagos.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Evboesi: 7:48pm On Jan 04
ejimatic:
I don't want to reply you because it seems yiu lack manners in the way you express yourself.
Nobody is winning any argument here.We are just rubbing our minds.
For our readers, I will emphasize again that

1. Benin in Edo State originated from Ile Ife
2. Yorubas in Benin Republic originated from Oduduwa. They are part of Yoruba Benin people in Edo State that live in Benin Republic
3 Aworis are Lagos early settlers. The Portuguese named Lagos after Lagos in Portugal.

The people of Benin Republic are not owners of Lagos.
it is not an argument, you don’t have any brain, you already sound like a fool, i can’t be more civil, it is not an argument.

You can’t be emphasizing what you don’t know. Benin people did not originate from ile Ife. A very minute section of the Benin people had some dealings with the Oduduwa theory and person. There is no text anywhere that states that the Benin people originate from ile Ife. I dare you to provide one. What you find at best is the oba’s family and a few family in the Benin tribe. Don’t be stupid, i am a Benin man

2. If Benin republic originate from Oduduwa i care less that is not what i came for

The Benin republic people are distinct tribes that are made up of distinct ethnic groups which are not affiliated in anyway to the Benin people of Edo state

3. Your third point i care less that is not what why i came here

Just admit you are empty upstairs
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Konquest: 11:45pm On Apr 19
FreeStuffsNG:
Oldest history books say Yoruba not Benin founded Lagos

https://punchng.com/oldest-history-books-say-yoruba-not-benin-founded-lagos/

Bump.

Anyone can read the full 2018 Guardian article below to get a hang of the TRUE paternal Yoruba ancestral history of the Oba of Benin's Royal lineage according to the Ogiame family:

=>https://guardian.ng/features/ogiso-and-ogiamien-are-aborigine-binis-while-oba-of-benin-is-of-yoruba-descent-high-chief-esotericist-monday-wehere/

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Ijaw Women Of America Elect New Executives With Deborah Abbey As President And / Ooni Of Ogunwusi's Sisters At The Burial Of Their Grandmother / Sadiya Bayero-Sanusi Celebrates Birthday With Her Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.