Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,693 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos (19446 Views)

Why Is The Yoruba Not United In Business & Politics / The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state / They" Say YORUBA Are Cowards Really? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 12:38pm On Dec 07, 2023
Raf4:

1.Dispute the fact that the Portuguese sailed into Ereko/Eko/Lagos Island in 1472 and met Aworis/Yoruba there
2. Provide the date the 1st Oba of Ereko/Eko/Lagos was installed.
3. Now reconcile the events and prove how Bini founded Lagos or how Lagos belongs to Bini.
1. Prove your own claim. Logic doesn't work like you think. I don't have to use my energy to go into your unsubstantiated claim, you actually have to provide evidence for your claim, not me!
2. I don't have to provide any date of any first Oba, I have provided eyewitness written documents which clearly state that Lagos is a part of Benin.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 12:40pm On Dec 07, 2023
Raf4:

3. Now reconcile the events and prove how Bini founded Lagos or how Lagos belongs to Bini.
Dude, your mind is so narrow, once again, I have already provided eyewitness written documents from several sources which make it unmistakably clear that Lagos was a part of Benin. I don't need to follow your directions.

You have been caught trying to claim copies of Benin artefacts as being Ife artefacts, yet you still show no shame. Everybody knows you are a fraudster.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 12:44pm On Dec 07, 2023
Ghostagain:
Picture 1: Obi Gbenoba of Agbor in the 1930's
Picture 2: Oni of Ife in the 1930's

Which one looks more noble ?

Also tell me, that Oni regalia, is it the common dress code between Benin and Ife which the yoruba fraudster is talking about ?

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 12:47pm On Dec 07, 2023
Omobude244:

lolz
so Obagodo fell from the sky
landed in ile ife and headed to benin grin grin

u be ozuor

Obagodo or Igodo was among the odionweres that made up the many autonomous communities/villages that agreed to come together and form a unified community for easy security, commerce and trade

Igodo was the most powerful then and he was chosen to lead to them. he rule very well and the kingship was left in his lineage.

can u tell me how he came from ife to benin?
i want to know

A fool will always resort to insult when unable to defend their fallacies.
I told you that Obagodo led some other people from Ile-Ife to the land where he founded and named Igodomigodo and established Ogiso dynasty where he became the 1st Ogiso. Yes, some other people outside of Ile-Ife joined him there.
Ile-Ife was aware of and always in contact with Igodomigodo, likewise the Igalas & Nupes, ever before Oranmiyan led another set of Ife people to invade Igodomigodo, renamed it Ile-Ibinu and established Obaship dynasty there.

In summary, both Igodomigodo and Ile-Ibinu/Bini were established by people from Ile-Ife.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 12:49pm On Dec 07, 2023
Yorubas do not belong in discussions about history.
This is pointless, all they do is talk about fairytales and commit fraud. We all have better things to do than constantly talking to these guys.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Procashtips(m): 1:06pm On Dec 07, 2023
Ghostagain:

He called a recently made artefact (depicting the Oba of Benin) an Ife ancient artefact šŸ¤£
Too noisy set of a people.

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 1:46pm On Dec 07, 2023
Beuberry:

. The meaning of Benin is Ile-Ibinu which was name Oranyan gave to them. See names like Adesuwa which is also Adesewa and the syllables are (Ade-su-uwa & Ade-se-ewa). Ogun, Olokun, Oba etc. Words those mofos can't tell it's story. Look at Ife artworks and Benin artworks. In the 15th century, Oba Oguola sent for bronze casters from Ife to reach them bronze sculptures.
All you did was talk about fairytales.
Oranmiyan is now spelled oranyan, I see. Perhaps the fairytale makers did not come to an agreement about how to spell the name of their science fiction novel character.
Nothing you say is supported by eyewitness written documents. You are just dwelling in myths.

I see you are one of those who do not understand than our written form of language is not indigenous, it is a recent thing which we got from the Europeans, therefore we don't have anything like etymology. But you are a fraudster, do you don't bother yourself with logic and evidence.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 1:53pm On Dec 07, 2023
Beuberry:

Ya protege called Thebadpolitician lied. I gave facts. You said they were copied artworks. After evidence revealed radiocarbon dating a that's showed all Ife arts are older than that of Benin art!
You can't radio carbon bronze.
So I don't know what you are talking about.
I once again notice that you never substantiate whatever you say. You just say things as if you were the second appearance of Jesus Christ and everybody should immediately believe you.

Beuberry:

Naso una vex Oranyan.
Yorubas disown all of you!
Oh, talking about a fairytale as if it were real, yet again šŸ¤£
For your information, we were never yoruba, it is only you people's wild imagination and stupid fairytales which makes you believe we were yoruba.
Ghostagain:

The "yorubas" are not a homogenous group of people.
Some of them are slave decendants from Brazil, Cuba ...or decendants from local escapee slaves like the egbas, some are from oyo kingdom (also called yarri.ba)...
It is well recorded that Lagos was flooded by all these people as soon as the British took over Lagos in 1861 from Benin. The flooding continued well into postcolonial Nigeria and it is still ongoing today
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Thebadpolitican(m): 2:03pm On Dec 07, 2023
Beuberry:

How you wan take humiliate the truth? You just disgraced yaself. In your bid to discredit Yorubas you opened up more truth that depicts Benin Yorubas relationship which started when Odede was ya first king.
You said Nigeria education system is dead but others were able to carbe out their history except Benins. If ya educational systems them, wetin come concern Yorubas.
It's obvious the 1897 nuking of Benin by the British has entered ya brain. Possibly you be Ologbosere's descendant cos the string head of suffer for nothing showed clearly on ya head.
Looking at ya name Thebadpolitician, one would see that you are indeed cantankerous in mind.
All you wrote were just secondary school tales.

Now let's examine ya lies.
1. When did Benin & Oyo fight battle sotey Benin defeated Oyo forces? Shey na Dahomey you dey claim? Dahomey wey be half Yoruba & half Ewe? Those ones sef get better brain?

2. If you said Ife no get artworks, who come get am?
The artworks had names. You said the king of Ife just dey dress like the Ife bronze. Do you v any pic of any early Ife kings to determine their look? Why are you so pained about progress of Yorubas? I thought ya concern should be the north? Who do you juju sotey ya brain come mad?

3. Egharevba made adjustments to his analysis cos Ologboseres like you threatened him.

4. Benin & Ife art are so similar. Na jealousy of Ife naturalism that's worrying you.

5. You said I selected just one similar Benin art to that of Ife when there are numerous online. The jealousy of Yorubas from you has eaten ya sense! You said the artworks has open head & Benin no get. Can't their be change in styles? Must Benins do copy & pastor A-Zee? Ancient Benins wise pass you cos if ma you na copy n paste as you did in school you go do.

* Ife & Benin artworks has beaded necks
* Both made busts to depict head as source of life
* Both are made in bronze casting
* Both showed artworks controlled by influence of the palace
* Both are memorial artworks.
* Both has intricate decorations & more.
Below is pic of Oba Oguola and another image of an Ige king and queen. Dressing in similar style to depict there was similarities from ancient times.
Pic 1 Benin
Pic 2 Ife
Pic 3 Benin queen mother
Pic 4 Ife ancient queen image.
Look at the eyes o, the stylized eyes, beads, head etc.
Are you still blind to see the similarities, dear Uncle modern day Ologbosere?

You posted 4 pics and they are all Benins I am confused you need to chill you don't need to rush to reply me

Lastly what do you mean by both Ige king and queen, in your writeup do you mean Ife, and if it is then you never posted any ife artwork mind you all were Benins

Again Ife artworks dont have neck beeded style na madam angry

Compare the two, the Ife neck is just a pattern
Not a beed design

Lastly ife artwork was not memorial, it was religious that why it was buried

As for the artwork not being Ife it's already proven the ooni of Ife was not allowed to open his face to anyone even after death so how did they see his face to sculpture him, and those facial marks are not Ife facial face marks

Screenshot 2 shows Ife facial marks

You need to do more to prove this it was done by Ife people

Even the owo king who had smilar terracotta artwork with Ife when ask he said they were purchased from art merchant

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Thebadpolitican(m): 2:11pm On Dec 07, 2023
Raf4:

Which excavation done on a shrine?
The shrine is still intact in Ile-Ife till today. Have they done any excavation to confirm any of Bini obas buried in Bini apart from Akenzua II and Ereduawa II?

Did you bother checking it, or do you want me to post you the screenshot

https://www.nairaland.com/7463697/orun-oba-ado-ife-benin#118885803

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274431270_Early_primary_glass_production_in_southern_Nigeria.
Read up
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Thebadpolitican(m): 2:13pm On Dec 07, 2023
Raf4:

Dispute what I wrote up there na. No way, you can only resort to insult.

You sound nothing that have not been address before before by me

Read this

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274431270_Early_primary_glass_production_in_southern_Nigeria

Read this

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Thebadpolitican(m): 2:21pm On Dec 07, 2023
Boyooosa:

Thank you so much for this account, it's so detailed and I've always hoped for this...something different from what some quack historians have been saying here and still f**lishly bragging on (I'm not saying everything u dropped is accurate tho, just appreciate the fact that u could put up a logical story of the topic).

Now, u mentioned that they didn't meet anyone in the Island part but later.moved to badagry side where they met the Aworis

Another clarification I will like to get is, the war between them and the aworis, were they conquered by the Aworis?

Then, were they chased out of Island too, after the conquest,.if they had been conquered by the Aworis?

Thanks and God bless as your prompt response will be appreciated

I said the war between Benins and aworis took
Place in badagary
Benin moved from badagary after defeating aworis to lagos island a better location for trade after both the Benins and Europeans dicoverd lagos island some years after

The movement from badagary to lagos island was not swift, Benin were in badary for years before lagos island was discovered

Aworis didn't defeat Benin as a matter of fact the war Benin lost was only to the bristsh throughout it's history of wars
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 2:40pm On Dec 07, 2023
Procashtips:

Stop changing the narratives.

Dahomey paid taxes to Oyo kingdom because it's on record that the Oyo kingdom at one time conquered them.
You are lowering the bar of proof. This is how you allow them sneak in with their fraud.
Which eye-witnesses written record are you talking about?
I have seen people make this claim many times, but I have never seen any proof of it, eventhough O asked for proof every time.

It feels like I have to repeat myself: we shouldn't be in the business of promoting unsubstantiated stories, that would only be a form of own goal. That is how you allow the Yoruba to also bring their own unsubstantiated stories.
What we should be doing is true historical research. Quoting eyewitness written documents! And exposing yoruba as peddling unsubstantiated stories.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Procashtips(m): 2:45pm On Dec 07, 2023
Ghostagain:

You are lowering the bar of proof. This is how you allow them sneak in with their fraud.
Which eye-witnesses written record are you talking about?
I have seen people make this claim many times, but I have never seen any proof of it, eventhough O asked for proof every time.

It feels like I have to repeat myself: we shouldn't be in the business of promoting unsubstantiated stories, that would only be a form of own goal. That is how you allow the Yoruba to also bring their own unsubstantiated stories.
What we should be doing is true historical research. Quoting eyewitness written documents! And exposing yoruba as peddling unsubstantiated stories.

Still waiting for him
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by SonOfDSoil01: 2:48pm On Dec 07, 2023
Burruchaga71:
What ever.
Lagos remains no man's land anyday anytime.

Period!!
grin just the same way Anambala is Igala
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by SonOfDSoil01: 2:50pm On Dec 07, 2023
Burruchaga71:
What ever.
Lagos remains no man's land anyday anytime.

Period!!
grin just the same way Anambala is Igala .....Shameless flat head pig wit no sense of history or pride...always coveting what they can never have grin
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Omobude244: 3:17pm On Dec 07, 2023
Raf4:

I told you that Obagodo led some other people from Ile-Ife to the land where he founded and named Igodomigodo and established Ogiso dynasty where he became the 1st Ogiso. Yes, some other people outside of Ile-Ife joined him there.
Ile-Ife was aware of and always in contact with Igodomigodo, likewise the Igalas & Nupes, ever before Oranmiyan led another set of Ife people to invade Igodomigodo, renamed it Ile-Ibinu and established Obaship dynasty there.

In summary, both Igodomigodo and Ile-Ibinu/Bini were established by people from Ile-Ife.
lolz
u be proper ozuor

sense is really far from u
from Obagodo to Oraimiyan

does this make sense to u?

why does oramiyan have to invade benin again after his brother already owned benin? grin
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by UMUAZEE: 4:46pm On Dec 07, 2023
Beuberry:

How you wan take humiliate the truth? You just disgraced yaself. In your bid to discredit Yorubas you opened up more truth that depicts Benin Yorubas relationship which started when Odede was ya first king.
You said Nigeria education system is dead but others were able to carbe out their history except Benins. If ya educational systems them, wetin come concern Yorubas.
It's obvious the 1897 nuking of Benin by the British has entered ya brain. Possibly you be Ologbosere's descendant cos the string head of suffer for nothing showed clearly on ya head.
Looking at ya name Thebadpolitician, one would see that you are indeed cantankerous in mind.
All you wrote were just secondary school tales.

Now let's examine ya lies.
1. When did Benin & Oyo fight battle sotey Benin defeated Oyo forces? Shey na Dahomey you dey claim? Dahomey wey be half Yoruba & half Ewe? Those ones sef get better brain?

2. If you said Ife no get artworks, who come get am?
The artworks had names. You said the king of Ife just dey dress like the Ife bronze. Do you v any pic of any early Ife kings to determine their look? Why are you so pained about progress of Yorubas? I thought ya concern should be the north? Who do you juju sotey ya brain come mad?

3. Egharevba made adjustments to his analysis cos Ologboseres like you threatened him.

4. Benin & Ife art are so similar. Na jealousy of Ife naturalism that's worrying you.

5. You said I selected just one similar Benin art to that of Ife when there are numerous online. The jealousy of Yorubas from you has eaten ya sense! You said the artworks has open head & Benin no get. Can't their be change in styles? Must Benins do copy & pastor A-Zee? Ancient Benins wise pass you cos if ma you na copy n paste as you did in school you go do.

* Ife & Benin artworks has beaded necks
* Both made busts to depict head as source of life
* Both are made in bronze casting
* Both showed artworks controlled by influence of the palace
* Both are memorial artworks.
* Both has intricate decorations & more.
Below is pic of Oba Oguola and another image of an Ige king and queen. Dressing in similar style to depict there was similarities from ancient times.
Pic 1 Benin
Pic 2 Ife
Pic 3 Benin queen mother
Pic 4 Ife ancient queen image.
Look at the eyes o, the stylized eyes, beads, head etc.
Are you still blind to see the similarities, dear Uncle modern day Ologbosere?

Whoever you are, pics 1,2,3 and 4 are all Benin artworks..
Stop your lies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Thebadpolitican(m): 4:47pm On Dec 07, 2023
Beuberry:

You ended up shooting yaself in the foot. You eben helped ya sister with more evidence to my studies. Thank you o, Ologbosere descendant. I just researched Tunde Lawal's works and ge made lots of common sense. It helps confirm the following:
* It was Leo Frobenius that was so astonished and linked Ife art to classical Greek art. Cos it shocked him.

* Same Leo Frobenius discovered Benin hot casters from Ife during reign of Oguola. If someone said Oguola reigned in 12th century and another saying it's 13th or 14th century, all join. It's cos radiocarbon dating gives estimates which may not be 100% exact date but at least gives expected estimates. Wikipedia sef said Oguola lived around 12th century. Now listen mu brother, if you can't believe African oral tradition that was backed up with discoveries, artworks & scientific dating then how come you believed ya own Benin oral tradition?
Don't be biased. Benin-Ife had relations. Oranyan is ya first king. Swallow ya pride. Yorubas are t hurting Benin by helping them with more facts to their history.
Lastly, I m a daughter of history so I v reason to state facts. Ya screenshot was helpful.

While William Fagg's chronology has made better sense of the available evidence and rightly deserves its current acceptance, its main problem is that it has been heavily biased by the story that bronze-casting was introduced to Benin from Ife.

Refrence
Babatunde lawal, The Present State of Art Historical Research in Nigeria: Problems and Possibilities. P. 194

The conclusion in the articles says it has not yet been convinced that Ife introduced art to Benin, tho as I stated in one of my writeups that during the time Benins were in the western region the oba of Benin accepted to be one of oduduwa sons to make it realistic Benins ultred their history to support the false claim by supporting Ife introducing artworks to Benin people which even Europeans knows is untrue

My 3rd screenshot says it baffles researchers that the Ife artworks belongs to them as they are no traces of it being made in Ife unlike benins

Again the Ife techinque of creating their artworks is quiet different from that of the Benins, the Benins use the lost wax techinque while the Ife techniques use something different I can't recall the name

I bet you didn't read the full article did you?
Reason why I would always be a step ahead of you...

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Thebadpolitican(m): 5:35pm On Dec 07, 2023
Raf4:

Were is your evidence in all this
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 6:04pm On Dec 07, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

Were is your evidence in all this

Dull and daft lazy bones
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 6:12pm On Dec 07, 2023
Omobude244:

lolz
u be proper ozuor

sense is really far from u
from Obagodo to Oraimiyan

does this make sense to u?

why does oramiyan have to invade benin again after his brother already owned benin? grin

Ask the unbiased elders in your community. They know the truth. Go and research about Ogiso from their descendants in Bini today, you will be surprised about the revelations they'll give you about their ancestors and the current Obaship in Bini today.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Ghostagain: 6:15pm On Dec 07, 2023
Raf4:

Ask the unbiased elders in your community. They know the truth. Go and research about Ogiso from their descendants in Bini today, you will be surprised about the revelations they'll give you about their ancestors and the current Obaship in Bini today.
You are once again showing how uneducated you are.
We are discussing history spanning more than 600 years and you believe there are "elders" alive today who witnessed it
You just don't have common sense.
History is not researched by conducting with the living but by quoting eyewitness written documents.

This once again shows that you are a person who confuses ethnocentric fairytales with history.
It seems you don't understand the concept of time.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 6:32pm On Dec 07, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274431270_Early_primary_glass_production_in_southern_Nigeria.
Read up

I should check tales by the moon light discussion of your people on nairaland and other social media as authentic?
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 6:40pm On Dec 07, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

Read up

I should check tales by the moon light discussion of your people on nairaland and other social media as authentic?
Ghostagain:

You are once again showing how uneducated you are.
We are discussing history spanning more than 600 years and you believe there are "elders" alive today who witnessed.
You just don't have common sense.
History is not researched by conducting with the living but by quoting eyewitness written documents.

This once again shows that you are a person who confuses ethnocentric fairytales with history.
It seems you don't understand the concept of time.

So how come a morį»n like you is telling stories of the same events of over 600yrs ago? If you're intelligent enough, you'll know that those elders I sent you to have the correct history of their lineages, irrespective of lies and alterations the current oba and his 2 predecessors are feeding you guys. The descendants of ogiso have the genuine records of many info your oba and his 2 immediate predecessors are hiding today.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Omobude244: 6:45pm On Dec 07, 2023
Raf4:

ozuor
ife owns benin but whenever Oba of Benin and Ooni meets, Ooni always stood up for the Oba grin grin
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 6:48pm On Dec 07, 2023
Ghostagain:

Dude, your mind is so narrow, once again, I have already provided eyewitness written documents from several sources which make it unmistakably clear that Lagos was a part of Benin. I don't need to follow your directions.

You have been caught trying to claim copies of Benin artefacts as being Ife artefacts, yet you still show no shame. Everybody knows you are a fraudster.

It is only a foool and slowpoke fraud like you that will believe that the same place the Portuguese visited, met indigenous people and established trading contacts with in 1472 was founded in 1630 by one set of people from over 400km away.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by Raf4: 6:52pm On Dec 07, 2023
Ghostagain:

1. Prove your own claim. Logic doesn't work like you think. I don't have to use my energy to go into your unsubstantiated claim, you actually have to provide evidence for your claim, not me!
2. I don't have to provide any date of any first Oba, I have provided eyewitness written documents which clearly state that Lagos is a part of Benin.

Because it isn't possible to prove how you graduated from a university before you were born.
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by OyinO: 8:07pm On Dec 07, 2023
Beuberry:

Hello, I ll give you a link to some history of Yorubas. Don't let any pained Benin boy to tell you trash. Actually Benins are pained like Igbos over success of Lagos so they want to claim things that aren't for them. More so, they v been so rude to ab extent that I advise Yorubas to cut ties with them. So that in future they can go separate in their landlock nation. All being said about Yoruba influence on them are extremely true. They lacked facts. They ll say Yoruba words but can't tell it's deep meaning. They are taking advantage of some naive youths to misread and misinterpret everything Yorubas did to Benin. The meaning of Benin is Ile-Ibinu which was name Oranyan gave to them. See names like Adesuwa which is also Adesewa and the syllables are (Ade-su-uwa & Ade-se-ewa). Ogun, Olokun, Oba etc. Words those mofos can't tell it's story. Look at Ife artworks and Benin artworks. In the 15th century, Oba Oguola sent for bronze casters from Ife to reach them bronze sculptures. Yet one mofo here said Ife artworks weren't made by Yorubas but was purchased. It's obvious there are plots to decimate Yorubas. Seems pained tribes are tired of Nigeria. Nevertheless Yorubas ll continue to wax stronger with or without Nigeria.
Pic 1 Ife bronze head.
Pic 2 is Benin bronze.
You ll see Ife own is more realistic.
Download freely one of the most concrete History of Yorubas here by Rev Samuel Johnson.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://archive.org/download/historyofyorubas00john/historyofyorubas00john.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwim3YDrr_yCAxVtX0EAHTvyBSkQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw11a0s_-oalDRZwT0denpi8

Kudos

1 Like

Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by OyinO: 8:09pm On Dec 07, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

What do you mean that the Portuguese settled in lagos first angry angry
You sound like you're misinformed truly you're read more stop guessing history

Screenshot
Original
Translate

I didn't say Portuguese settled in Lagos first. Anyways, it's okay. I'll do more research on this topic. Thanks
Re: Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos by OyinO: 8:12pm On Dec 07, 2023
Ghostagain:

The Romans "gave" the name "Africa" to a tribe in Tunisia, and it was later used to describe the entire continent.
I don't see why you think it is relevant to say that Africa is a continent and not a settlement.

My point is that the fact that Lagos is a Portuguese word doesn't imply that Lagos was a Portuguese settlement.
And for your information, the first name written down for Lagos wasn't Lagos, it was Ichoo (Eko).

I think you don't fully understand that the Portuguese did not "name" Lagos, they only referred to it as such in their documents. Or were you under the impression that there was an official naming ceremony? Use your brain.

Edit. "Africa" is a Roman word, not Greek.

I'm using my brain, and that's why you're going extra miles to convince me, or else you won't even reply to my comments.

So tell me which one should I take? Greek or Roman? Can you now agree with me that I can't just settle down with whatever is said here until concrete evidence is obtained? The person who said it's a Greek word was also defending your stance. However, I think I like what you're doing except that you're trying to get frustrated, agitated and thereby resorting to insults and violence. Sorry Bro!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Ijaw Women Of America Elect New Executives With Deborah Abbey As President And / Ooni Of Ogunwusi's Sisters At The Burial Of Their Grandmother / Sadiya Bayero-Sanusi Celebrates Birthday With Her Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.