Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,244 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now (17869 Views)

CAC To Delist Over 91,000 Companies Over Infractions / NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All / 276,852 Pos Transactions Failed On Christmas Eve —NIBSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by FreeStuffsNG: 3:54am On Dec 07, 2023
Unpacking the NIBSS Circular — What Fintechs Need to Know Now

Usman Abiola

NIBSS released a circular that has been making the rounds this week. There’s been a lot of speculation regarding this particular circular on the interwebs and office corners in the fintech industry. This has led to lots of questions:

What is NIBSS up to this time around? How is my fintech business affected by this new policy?

Before we get to the effects of this new update from Nigeria’s interbank settlement company, let’s dive in to see what the circular says.
The circular states that: “listing non-deposit taking financial institutions such as

Switching Companies (Switches), Payment Solution Service Providers (PSPs) and Super Agents (SA) as beneficiary institutions on your NIP funds transfer channels contravenes the CBN Guidelines on Electronic Payment of Salaries, Pensions, Suppliers and Taxes in Nigeria dated February 2014. For clarity, Switches, PSSPs and SAs may process outward transfers as inflows to Banks but are not to receive inflows as their licenses do not permit them to hold customers’ funds.”

To the layman, the quote above means that the next time you open your bank app to transfer funds, you won’t find certain financial institutions (FIs) on the destination/beneficiary bank list.

About 32 financial institutions with either super agent, switching company or payment solution service provider (PSSP) licenses will be delisted with immediate effect from the NIBSS NIP (NIBSS Instant Payments) list.

NIP Bank Beneficiary List
In recent times, You may have seen names like Zinternet KongaPay (MMO — Mobile Mobile Operator), Interswitch Financial Inclusion Services (IFIS) or Crowdforce (MMO — Mobile Mobile Operator) on your beneficiary bank list but the core question is, if they could collect inflow via the bank transfer, then Flutterwave and Paystack wouldn’t have to partner with Wema Bank and Titan Trust Bank respectively for their virtual account implementation?

Quite a twist, wouldn’t you say?

So it begs the question: If you tap on Zinternet Kongapay or Crowdforce on a bank app, these entities don’t issue NUBAN — so why were they on the NIP (NIBSS Instant Payments) bank list in the first place?

It means NIBSS simply returns all schemes integrated to NIP (NIBSS Instant Payments)as beneficiary banks irrespective of whether they were enabled for inflow or not. I would assume this could easily be fixed internally.

From a product standpoint — your fintech will no longer receive inflow via NIP if you’re not a licensed deposit-taking entity such as microfinance banks (e.g Dot MFB, Kuda, Opay), deposit money banks (e.g GT Bank, UBA etc).

However, as a fintech, you (still) can have the direct integration with NIP for fund transfer (as your license (switching companies, payment solution service providers and super agents licenses) allows

This circular impacts payment products in only one way:

If you have a “Pay with Transfer” product as a PSSP/Switch/Super agent — and you were ‘miraculously’ added to the list — you can’t do payment collections anymore. You need to collaborate with a deposit-taking entity for all your collections as illustrated above with the “Paystack and Titan Bank Use case”.

So, If you are a new fintech (savings, remittance, loans etc) with a wallet service that allows the option to fund a wallet with ‘bank transfer’, it is now required to either partner directly a licensed MFB or DMB or Payment Switch with partnership with DMBs with a clear understanding of the settlement limit you are afforded.

In conclusion, this policy serves the fundamental purpose of safeguarding customer funds by entrusting them to entities duly licensed and certified to handle such transactions. Moreover, it prompts a thoughtful consideration of its potential impacts on the future dynamics within the fintech ecosystem.

By Usman Abiola

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by FreeStuffsNG: 3:54am On Dec 07, 2023
About 32 financial institutions with either super agent, switching company or payment solution service provider (PSSP) licenses will be delisted with immediate effect from the NIBSS NIP (NIBSS Instant Payments) list.

The order to delist is with immediate effect and you will not see some of them any more when you want to do outflow from your own bank account.

Why? this brilliant policy by the Asiwaju Tinubu-led administration of brilliant, competent and patriotic Nigerians serves the fundamental purpose of safeguarding customer funds by entrusting them to entities duly licensed and certified to handle such transactions.

This policy has the potential to stop the hacking and stealing of huge multibillion naira funds from accounts of innocent bank customers of the DMBs like Access bank, Fidelity bank etc then moving them into those fintechs that don't use NUBAN first before dissipating.

You can now only move funds out from those fintechs, you can no longer receive outflows from banks until you collaborate with those with the license to accept deposits.
Great job by NIBSS. May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

11 Likes

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by Haydens: 9:30am On Dec 07, 2023
F.T.C

I dedicate it to my Man U fans.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by paranorman(m): 9:31am On Dec 07, 2023
Chai!
Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by cutedharmee: 9:31am On Dec 07, 2023
It is well

1 Like

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by halaqasa: 9:31am On Dec 07, 2023
Make Fintechs just settle

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by 1Alex: 9:33am On Dec 07, 2023
Ok
Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by Xwizard: 9:35am On Dec 07, 2023
anyway I will still blame apc

10 Likes

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by lavylilly: 9:35am On Dec 07, 2023
grin
Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by Mayor21(m): 9:36am On Dec 07, 2023
So that means I can't recieve transfer from my Opay anymore especially from banks like UBA, Zenith, GTB e.t.c
But I can send out money from my Opay to any bank?....hmmmm

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by baike: 9:37am On Dec 07, 2023
Ok
Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by kingphilip(m): 9:39am On Dec 07, 2023
Ladened with too many jargons for me to understand.

In clearer terms, can someone break it down for us?

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by inoki247: 9:39am On Dec 07, 2023
Eh eh I no understand so dem Opay and Kuda is gone or what ...

Because I don't understand anything up dere....

1 Like

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by money121(m): 9:40am On Dec 07, 2023
Ok
Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by BigBlackPreek(m): 9:41am On Dec 07, 2023
okay o
Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by GreyBlood: 9:42am On Dec 07, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

The order to delist is with immediate effect and you will not see some of them any more when you want to do outflow from your own bank account.

Why? this brilliant policy by the Asiwaju Tinubu-led administration of brilliant, competent and patriotic Nigerians serves the fundamental purpose of safeguarding customer funds by entrusting them to entities duly licensed and certified to handle such transactions.

This policy has the potential to stop the hacking and stealing of huge multibillion naira funds from accounts of innocent bank customers of the DMBs like Access bank, Fidelity bank etc then moving them into those fintechs that don't use NUBAN first before dissipating.

You can now only move funds out from those fintechs, you can no longer receive outflows from banks until you collaborate with those with the license to accept deposits.
Great job by NIBSS. May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!
So, this means those rogue Police officers that force innocent citizens to transfer money to the likes of Moniepoint or Opay won't work again? That's good news actually.

6 Likes

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 07, 2023
A good way to control illicit wealth and safeguard the people's money. I hope it won't backfire at the long run...

2 Likes

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by AntiChristian: 9:43am On Dec 07, 2023
grin

1 Like

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by femu(m): 9:43am On Dec 07, 2023
Mayor21:
So that means I can't recieve transfer from my Opay anymore especially from banks like UBA, Zenith, GTB e.t.c
But I can send out money from my Opay to any bank?....hmmmm

Opay is under Blue ridge Microfinance Bank which is affiliated with Zenith bank

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by AntiChristian: 9:46am On Dec 07, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

One bottle of jailed Amstel low sugar for you!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by ClearFlair: 9:47am On Dec 07, 2023
Confusion. Expect slow transactions that will slow down business

1 Like

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by jojothaiv(m): 9:47am On Dec 07, 2023
We will see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by Olichoke: 9:51am On Dec 07, 2023
What are you saying please?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by vastolord4(m): 9:51am On Dec 07, 2023
Haydens:
F.T.C

I dedicate it to my Man U fans.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by Haydens: 9:51am On Dec 07, 2023
vastolord4:

Thank you

🤝🤝 you're welcome.
Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by nairalanduser23: 9:59am On Dec 07, 2023
Where is the list of the 32 fintechs?

5 Likes

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by seunlayi(m): 10:00am On Dec 07, 2023
These banks want to kill FinTechs ! FinTechs have made banking easier and people. Fintech that Tinubu promised to boost.

Opay is with Blue ridge Microfinance Bank under Zenith bank.

Can't imagine the number of businesses including POS operators that will go down.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by flexyrule(m): 10:07am On Dec 07, 2023
Wow
Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by Siberia01(m): 10:08am On Dec 07, 2023
embarassed
So it actually means I can't fund my sporty or what cry
Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by BadMaster: 10:08am On Dec 07, 2023
Freestuffsng, kindly list out the 32 entities affected
Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by Pharaoh4rin(m): 10:11am On Dec 07, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Be speaking English. You think hacking and other fraudulent acts are sole practice of fintechs? Conventional banks are worst off

3 Likes

Re: NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now by funshint(m): 10:11am On Dec 07, 2023
This story too long jare....which microfinance banks are they talking about? let's know.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Market Has Lost N2.5 Trillion Since Buhari Won - Nairametrics / BVN: You Can Now Link Your First Bank Account Online / Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.