Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,509 members, 7,812,575 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review (34604 Views)

Gangs Of Lagos: Ratings And Review / Blood Sisters: Ratings And Review (Nigerian Movie On Netflix) / Chief Daddy 2 (Going For Broke)- Reviews And Ratings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by safarigirl(f): 11:17pm On Dec 09, 2023
Hello Nairaland, it has been ages!

I realise I haven't done a movie review in a while and I just want to sharpen my pencil once again.

So, I'm here with the Netflix/PlayNetwork movie, Blood Vessel, a movie set in the Niger Delta about six unlikely characters that end up as stowaways on a ship.

I saw this movie in the middle of the night, and to be honest, I didn't have much expectations, but brethren, my mind was blown and it blew from the first five minutes when I realised the characters were speaking an indigenous language that WAS NOT WaZoBia. I was so excited just for that, because for the last few years, I have been advocating for broader storytelling in Nollywood and inclusion of minority languages. A few filmmakers opined that this was a big ask, as it was difficult to market a non-WaZoBia movie to the general Nigerian market. I've always thought this was balderdash, and rooted more in inferiority complex than actual facts, so, I was so glad to see that I was, after all, not wrong, and you can use a non-majority language to make a movie and it will bang.

Shout out to Charles Okpaleke of Play Network, he has been criticised overtime by Nollywood enthusiasts for producing somewhat low quality storylines that are rooted more in aesthetics than actual storytelling, and this movie was his big F*CK YOU! To such criticism.

Without further ado, let me get into the meat of this stew

Movie Title: Blood Vessel

Cast:
David Ezekiel
Adaobi Dibor
Levi Chikere
Sylvester Ekanem
Jidekene Achufusi
Alex Cyr Budin
Obinna Okenwa
Bimbo Manuel
Ebele Okaro

Plot:

Six people fleeing an oil-polluted community overrun by security agents, cross paths by chance and end up as stowaways on an ill-fated ship, unaware of the dangers aboard.

Movie Review:

This movie was marketed on the ground that it was a Niger Delta story, and to be honest, I was a bit unsure of what role Jidekene Achufusi would be playing in such a movie, since he isn't Niger Deltan. I temporarily forgot that actors exist TO ACT.

The first props I'd like to give this movie, is for AUTHENTICITY. When they said the movie would be set in Niger Delta, there were no plans to half-arse it. They fully planned to go the whole nine yards, and the first ode to this decision was seen in the use of the Ijaw language as the main language of dialogue in this movie. The first few minutes, I was trying to place the language, I was certain it wasn't Efik/Ibibio, and then when I realised it was Ijaw, I was happy for the inclusion and I decided to see how far they would go with it. They went all the way.

I do not have the words to quantify how much of a relief it is that we finally shed off the Lagos ghetto movie scene. The stories on Lagos criminal life have become lethargic over the years due to being overflogged and this movie finally traversing other angles to Nigerian life felt like a cold bottle of water hitting parched throat. Hearing Ijaw language being spoken, and Niger Delta pidgin was a very pleasant deviation from what Nollywood has inundated us with in recent times.

The production was so good. From the cinematography to the casting. With the cinematography, the story's dark theme was employed, but the colour grading didn't have that yellow tint to it. The director of photography needs to take a bouquet of flowers. The angles from which the story was told in certain scenes were so powerful, I really don't want to drop any spoilers, so, I'll be as vague as I can. There was a scene where the lead actor was groveling at the feet of the antagonist, the camera angle showed how imposing the antagonist was in that moment, and then in another scene, where the protagonist had the power over the antagonist, and the camera focused on his glare, those scenes were incredible.

With the setting, they kept it true to the Niger Delta theme; we were treated to sights of the oil polluted water, rural areas, sandy beaches, and the waterside. About 60% of the movie was shot on a ship, and we got the full exploration of the ship. I really want to give the production team props for getting that ship, that was money well spent as far as setting goes.

Now, let's get into the movie as a whole. To be honest, the beginning was a bit slow, but that's pretty much how beginnings for a lot of movies go. The attempt to catch our interest with a fiery opening is perhaps, not very successful, but as we go along, the story pulls you in. You find yourself invested in how they end up on the ship and what led to their change in fortunes.

This movie is brimming with actual emotion, you feel it in every scene. The fear, the hope, the despair. The actors are so brilliant, and I mean this whole heartedly, because each of them were able to project every emotion at the right time.

Jidekene as a revolutionary is convincing, his character, Boma, embodies the fighting spirit and defiance of every modern revolutionary you can think of. His carriage is commanding and his aura is compelling. David Ezekiel, who plays Abbey, one half of two young lovers, embodies the passion of any young man in love, he's spirited, hopeful, and forms a solid rock for his love, Adaobi Dibor, who plays Oyinbrakeme, executes the apprehensive lovergirl with an interesting marine origin, Obinna Okenwa and Sylvester Ekanem (Olotu and Tekena) are brothers in search of greener pastures, with Obinna playing the protective older brother, and Sylvester Ekanem executes the somewhat selfish younger brother, Levi Chikere (Degbe) is the mouthy freedom fighter with a rather weak grasp of sacrifice and true brotherhood. Each of these actors are exceptional in their roles, and to crown it all, Alex Cyr Budin is every bit the annoying villain as Igor. The actors not only naturally align with their characters, the characters themselves are so well written, that there is no deviation from their established values.

Without a doubt, this production skyrockets to the best thing that has ever come out of PlayNetwork. It is true to its roots, the acting is great and the script is brilliant. It is possibly the first movie of its kind in Nigeria, as regards the language of dialogue. Keeping to Play Network fashion, it also teases hints of another production in the works about the Igbo landing. This is a very underrated, but very much appreciated part of the PlayNetwork production company; they always intertwine their productions into what promises to be a cinematic universe much like we see with Marvel.

The movie's dialogue is mainly in Ijaw, Niger Delta pidgin, Russian, Urhobo and Igbo. Prior to watching this movie, I had been certain no other movie would top Afamefuna for me this year, but Blood Vessel ranks right up there. It's a great watch and it highlights familiar themes of exploitation, love, spiritualism, and family.

I am loving the exploration of other languages from Nollywood and I hope that the success of Blood Vessel inspires other Nollywood filmmakers to explore beyond the comfort zone of Wazobia, and also, knowing there are actors willing to play roles, and learn any language in order to execute said role, should be quite the encouraging thought.

Standout scenes (spoilers):

I had about 5 different standout scenes, with Jidekene featuring heavily in them, however, to avoid ruining the movie for some, I'll only pick out two.

1. Boma's shock when Degbe is shot is palpable. He freezes and just stares on in disbelief, and you can fully resonate with his shock in that moment.
2. The scene where Abbey opens their hideout spot and he watches hallucinations of each of his comrades greet him. This scene was incredibly emotional and basically brings us full circle. The choice of music is also emotional, and if you're not guiding your side, you may even shed a tear smiley

Rating: 8/10

Watch or Trowey: Definitely watch.

Have you seen the movie? What are your thoughts and ratings?

PS: Sadly, the guy who played Tekena, Sylvester Ekanem, died a couple of months ago, in unknown circumstances. He was 23-years old and so close to a big break. May his soul Rest In Peace and may his family watch this movie knowing their son left behind a legacy so great despite living a life so short.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by Neduzze5(m): 7:40pm On Dec 11, 2023
Awesome movie.... Still shocked to hear that Tekena is dead.

11 Likes

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by Ohibenemma(m): 10:16pm On Dec 11, 2023
To imagine that I've just finished watching the movie some minutes ago! Great movie! Thumbs up to the conception and production teams.

The movie left me kinda confused after the first few scenes, but once it set off, I could only look forward to the next action with anticipation.

With a majority of the story shot on a ship, I was apprehensive of a boring storyline (which, exactly, had been the case with a couple of foreign movies in similar settings I've previously seen); but not Blood Vessel. The suspense was topnotch and for long stretches, I could only hope for a positive outcome.

In the typical home video, there's this apparent reluctance to kill off the actors, but not in BV. Whoever needed to die at any point was so easily shot off. Until the end, I somehow hoped the pretty Oyinbrakemi would somehow survive the carnage or resurrect mysteriously, but home video done dey change o!

So Tekena is gone forever? May his soul rest in peace...

13 Likes

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by MT: 11:28pm On Dec 11, 2023
Ohibenemma:
To imagine that I've just finished watching the movie some minutes ago! Great movie! Thumbs up to the conception and production teams.

The movie left me kinda confused after the first few scenes, but once it set off, I could only look forward to the next action with anticipation.

With a majority of the story shot on a ship, I was apprehensive of a boring storyline (which, exactly, had been the case with a couple of foreign movies in similar settings I've previously seen); but not Blood Vessel. The suspense was topnotch and for long stretches, I could only hope for a positive outcome.

In the typical home video, there's this apparent reluctance to kill off the actors, but not in BV. Whoever needed to die at any point was so easily shot off. Until the end, I somehow hoped the pretty Oyinbrakemi would somehow survive the carnage or resurrect mysteriously, but home video done dey change o!

So Tekena is gone forever? May his soul rest in peace...

One of the very best movies that came out of Nigeria!!

This film must gather awards.

Tekena is an act in the movie. Was there a Tekena in the real world?

11 Likes

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:22am On Dec 12, 2023
Is Igbo not part of Wazobia?
How come you said Igbo was spoken but the movie drifted from Wazobia ?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:25am On Dec 12, 2023
Also, why are you sceptical of Jidekene acting there when he is not Niger Deltan?
Is Francis duru Niger Deltan ?
What of the executive producer , Charles okpaleke?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by safarigirl(f): 10:34am On Dec 12, 2023
InyinyaAgbaOku:
Is Igbo not part of Wazobia?
How come you said Igbo was spoken but the movie drifted from Wazobia ?

The movie drifted, but the main dialogue was in Ijaw, not Igbo. Igbo was only spoken in 2 scenes.

It's just like how that Afamefuna is 80% Igbo, but Hausa was spoken in a couple of scenes.

When I say a movie isn't Wazobia, I mean that the main language of dialogue. Realistically speaking, the chances of hearing Igbo in an Ijaw community is high due to proximity.

27 Likes

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by safarigirl(f): 10:39am On Dec 12, 2023
InyinyaAgbaOku:
Also, why are you sceptical of Jidekene acting there when he is not Niger Deltan?
Is Francis duru Niger Deltan ?
What of the executive producer , Charles okpaleke?

Like I said, I briefly forgot that he was an actor, and sometimes, the struggle of acting as an ethnicity you're not native to, is that you may not do the character justice. Especially where you have to speak their language.

It's like when African Americans are cast as African characters, more often than not, the accent is off.

Funny enough, I did see some Ijaw people express disappointment with the Ijaw being butchered (If you're not a native speaker, you may not notice). The general consensus was that it was a good attempt, but there were dissenting voices

Francis Duru attended UniPort and grew up in Rivers to some extent, so, he's familiar enough with the mannerisms and speech of Niger Delta.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 5:13pm On Dec 12, 2023
safarigirl:

Like I said, I briefly forgot that he was an actor, and sometimes, the struggle of acting as an ethnicity you're not native to, is that you may not do the character justice. Especially where you have to speak their language.

It's like when African Americans are cast as African characters, more often than not, the accent is off.

Funny enough, I did see some Ijaw people express disappointment with the Ijaw being butchered (If you're not a native speaker, you may not notice). The general consensus was that it was a good attempt, but there were dissenting voices

Francis Duru attended UniPort and grew up in Rivers to some extent, so, he's familiar enough with the mannerisms and speech of Niger Delta.

Seeing the way you are this passionate and defensive, Why haven't the Ijaw people being acting their movies on the big screen then ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by safarigirl(f): 8:32pm On Dec 12, 2023
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Seeing the way you are this passionate and defensive, Why haven't the Ijaw people being acting their movies on the big screen then ?

LOL.

I am actually not defending jack, I didn't think much of the dissenting voices, and k shared your opinion; they should do their movies as they like if they're not fine with this representation.

Like I said, I was just excited to hear something that wasn't Wazobia.

One Ijaw guy in the post that they were complaining, said that they have an Ijaw movie in the works with actual Ijaw people speaking the language. I don't think the movie will blow sha, because there are certain elements involved in movie marketing that I'm very certain they may most likely not tick.

Either way, Ijaw people are at liberty to express disappointment if they're not satisfied with the representation. You too would be miffed if you watched an Igbo movie with dodgy Igbo, only to learn most of the actors are Ibibio.

They can express their reservations, but I still think the movie is really good and does what it needs to as regards exposing a minority language to the world.

17 Likes

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:30am On Dec 13, 2023
safarigirl:

LOL.

I am actually not defending jack, I didn't think much of the dissenting voices, and k shared your opinion; they should do their movies as they like if they're not fine with this representation.

Like I said, I was just excited to hear something that wasn't Wazobia.

One Ijaw guy in the post that they were complaining, said that they have an Ijaw movie in the works with actual Ijaw people speaking the language. I don't think the movie will blow sha, because there are certain elements involved in movie marketing that I'm very certain they may most likely not tick.

Either way, Ijaw people are at liberty to express disappointment if they're not satisfied with the representation. You too would be miffed if you watched an Igbo movie with dodgy Igbo, only to learn most of the actors are Ibibio.

They can express their reservations, but I still think the movie is really good and does what it needs to as regards exposing a minority language to the world.

Alright.
Aside Francis Duru, I noticed there are some other Igbo casts there.

The Ijaw people should also thank Charles Okpaleke, the executive producer of the movie for bringing up a non Wazobia movie to the front

8 Likes

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by safarigirl(f): 1:15pm On Dec 13, 2023
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Alright.
Aside Francis Duru, I noticed there are some other Igbo casts there.

The Ijaw people should also thank Charles Okpaleke, the executive producer of the movie for bringing up a non Wazobia movie to the front

4 of the main casts are Igbo; Adaobi Dibor (Oyinbrakemi), Jidekene Achufusi(Boma), Obinna Okenwa (Olotu), Levi Chikere (Degbe). Sylvester Ekanem (Tekena) is Efik, not sure where David Ezekiel is from, two English names don't give anything away, but I'm assuming he's Niger Deltan, possibly even Ijaw.

Yes, Charles did very well with promoting a non-Wazobia language. If nothing else, it will pique the interest of some who aren't as familiar with the multi-ethnic state of Nigeria (which is basically something I've always harped on).

Representation matters. We can start picking out the accuracy of the representation after it has happened regularly enough, but it is important first, to put out these movies.

12 Likes

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by sylve11: 6:04pm On Dec 14, 2023
These days I don't like watching TV if it's not football. I prefer reading books and listening to FM Radio. sad cool

1 Like

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by sukkot: 6:05pm On Dec 14, 2023
angry
Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by richeeyo(m): 6:05pm On Dec 14, 2023
Great movie, but
The white guys acting was below expectations
Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by Acidosis(m): 6:06pm On Dec 14, 2023
It's a 5.5/10 for me.

Nigerian directors need to know how to audition "white" actors. They always go for the worst of the very worst. Those white South African dudes ruined the movie with their wack acting. If you can't afford A list Hollywood folks, stick to pan African.

Abbey's acting is also below par. He's one of the lead actors. I expected more.

12 Likes

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by Armaggedon: 6:07pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hm
Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by Armaggedon: 6:07pm On Dec 14, 2023
Good
Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by Xwizard: 6:09pm On Dec 14, 2023
Drop more ratings for others coming this month

Woman king still remain my best inspired movie for now

3 Likes

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by tuzle(m): 6:09pm On Dec 14, 2023
I first saw Netflix/playstation and then I saw shot in Niger delta, so I had to go back and check it again.
Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by Okiton: 6:10pm On Dec 14, 2023
cheesy
Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by WebSurfer(m): 6:11pm On Dec 14, 2023
grin
Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by Obagreatdatoye(m): 6:12pm On Dec 14, 2023
Any movie without yoruba swag in it now...is zero. To me the movie is scum

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by MorataFC: 6:12pm On Dec 14, 2023
Good
Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by Woodshot: 6:12pm On Dec 14, 2023
cheesy
Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by dapsoneh: 6:12pm On Dec 14, 2023
Its worth it
Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by jubrilELsudan: 6:17pm On Dec 14, 2023
FVCK DEY THE MOVIE?

9 Likes

Re: Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review by gsharp12(m): 6:18pm On Dec 14, 2023
I saw the movie last night. It was super cool. Nollywood is really setting the standards now for originality. Those white guys killed the movies too. I love the inclusion of another indigenous language. It was quite emotional for me and my wife.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Judge Orders Netflix To Remove Gay Jesus Movie “The First Temptation Of Christ.” / Bbnaija: Trikytee Evicted From Big Brother House / BBNaija: Efe's Supporters In Delta Queue Up To Collect Airtime To Vote (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.