Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,215 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Halloween - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Halloween (1071 Views)

Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? / The Best Of Halloween Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Halloween by pslm23(f): 11:51pm On Oct 31, 2011
Tonight a lot of children and adults will dress up as some weird character and go from house to house collecting candy and celebrating halloween. A lot of homes have ghoulish scary decorations adorning their homes, inside and out, things like tombstones, spider webs, fake bones, fake bats, fake vampires etc.
As a Nigerian living abroad I do not personally celebrate this day with them because I look at it as a pagan thing. I don't know how Halloween started but it seems to be all about dead people and dead things. Just this morning I was at my local WAWA store and saw someone dressed like Ghaddafi complete with the black curly hair and cap. He even had some kind of red and white stuff smeared all over his face depicting blood and brain. sad

I remember how we celebrate occasions like Christmas and Easter in Nigeria and living in this country has opened my eyes to how different people here celebrate. For example, what has Easter got to do with a rabbit and eggs? As Easter approaches, you see rabbit/bunny outfits and painted eggs in every shop and people hiding eggs in gardens and parks. is that what Easter really means?

My question is this, would you as a Nigerian parent, allow your kids to celebrate Halloween and why?
Re: Halloween by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 31, 2011
nope. just another senseless tradition.
Re: Halloween by Nobody: 12:03am On Nov 01, 2011
Not for me, don't believe in it. Our door remained firmly closed to trick-or-treaters tonight.
Re: Halloween by pslm23(f): 12:28am On Nov 01, 2011
My neighbors look at me weird and I've been called a party pooper because my home is the only one on my block not sporting carved pumpkins, cobwebs and dead stuff. And I don't answer my door when they come knocking. As a matter of fact, hubby and I go have made it a point to go out for dinner every halloween that way we r not home when they come knocking. grin
Re: Halloween by coogar: 12:34am On Nov 01, 2011
pslm23:

Tonight a lot of children and adults will dress up as some weird character and go from house to house collecting candy and celebrating halloween. A lot of homes have ghoulish scary decorations adorning their homes, inside and out, things like tombstones, spider webs, fake bones, fake bats, fake vampires etc.
As a Nigerian living abroad I do not personally celebrate this day with them because I look at it as a pagan thing. I don't know how Halloween started but it seems to be all about dead people and dead things. Just this morning I was at my local WAWA store and saw someone dressed like Ghaddafi complete with the black curly hair and cap. He even had some kind of red and white stuff smeared all over his face depicting blood and brain. sad

I remember how we celebrate occasions like Christmas and Easter in Nigeria and living in this country has opened my eyes to how different people here celebrate. For example, what has Easter got to do with a rabbit and eggs? As Easter approaches, you see rabbit/bunny outfits and painted eggs in every shop and people hiding eggs in gardens and parks. is that what Easter really means?

My question is this, would you as a Nigerian parent, allow your kids to celebrate Halloween and why?

i lit hundreds of fireworks over the weekend.
i either join them or get my crib peppered. my street is mainly populated by youths and young parents so it's a festival here.

it's not as bad as people think - if you can't beat them, you join them i suppose.
Re: Halloween by r231(m): 12:49am On Nov 01, 2011
undecided
Re: Halloween by Fhemmmy: 2:05am On Nov 01, 2011
It is not about a Nigerian parent, it is about something that makes sense . . . . .
On a yearly basis, some kids will die cos some wierdo will insert needle into the apply, poison the candy or all sort of the tricky stuff.

It is just nothing to fancy
Re: Halloween by OAM4J: 4:17am On Nov 01, 2011
Not my thing.
Re: Halloween by eddy1977(m): 5:35am On Nov 01, 2011
I love halloween. it gives me a chance to go out with my kid and hang out with my wonderful neighbors.when the other kids come knocking at my door, i feel so priviledged to give em candies and make em happy.

i understand and respect the choices of those who do not participate. its ok.
i live in a small town and halloween brings as together and makes our community much enjoyable.
Re: Halloween by iice(f): 7:33am On Nov 01, 2011
I like halloween. Though i only participate when i'm in the mood.
Re: Halloween by blank(f): 9:40am On Nov 01, 2011
Dont like Halloween or anything about it. It scares me too much. I like the fireworks though.
Re: Halloween by Outstrip(f): 2:02pm On Nov 01, 2011
We do not celbrate Halloween. I am so proud of my boys. I thought they would have a hard time with seeing all the other kids dressed up and wearing their costumes but I heard them tell their friend at school when I went to pick them up that they do not celebrate halloween. "We celebrate fall" rotflmao is what my 4 year old said. It is encouraging because we are not going to do the typical christmas either. No gifts for that. I am happy that they understand that we do not participate simply because others do. Children are very smart and you are the one who sets the tone. For the most part they will follow
Re: Halloween by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 01, 2011
Outstrip:

We do not celbrate Halloween. I am so proud of my boys. I thought they would have a hard time with seeing all the other kids dressed up and wearing their costumes but I heard them tell their friend at school when I went to pick them up that they do not celebrate halloween. "We celebrate fall" rotflmao is what my 4 year old said. It is encouraging because we are not going to do the typical christmas either. No gifts for that. I am happy that they understand that we do not participate simply because others do. Children are very smart and you are the one who sets the tone. For the most part they will follow

LMAO. grin grin grin These kids are effing smart. Mine recently got an award for the best 1-50 counter grin cheesy. Anyways after they had handed him the award, see him trying to give a thank you speech, as if that one was not enough o, he started shaking his class mates hands after the speech. I almost fell out of the chair laughing grin

@Topic
God forbid bad ting, will never expose my kids to the devil, But thanks for asking anwayz kiss
Re: Halloween by Outstrip(f): 2:59pm On Nov 01, 2011
jennykadry:

LMAO. grin grin grin These kids are effing smart. Mine recently got an award for the best 1-50 counter grin cheesy. Anyways after they had handed him the award, see him trying to give a thank you speech, as if that one was not enough o, he started shaking his class mates hands after the speech. I almost fell out of the chair laughing grin

@Topic
God forbid bad ting, will never expose my kids to the devil, But thanks for asking anwayz kiss

ROTFLMAO. These children sha. I need to come borrow that your pickin. My 4 year old is so over the top like that. It is constantly like watching and action movie with him lol
Re: Halloween by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 01, 2011
iice:

I like halloween.  Though i only participate when i'm in the mood

yawn. i think we geddit already . . . you have an "i no send" attitude. Anything else you want to tell us? you sound like a broken record already.
Re: Halloween by iice(f): 3:33pm On Nov 01, 2011
grin grin Wait, i stepped on a pally's toes shey? grin
And if i'm a broken record, it's shouldn't bother you since you're already bored.
Re: Halloween by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 01, 2011
iice:

grin grin Wait, i stepped on a pally's toes shey? grin
And if i'm a broken record, it's shouldn't bother you since you're already bored.

grin grin i'm going to remove my eyes if you post the "i no send" thingy anywhere again.
Re: Halloween by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 01, 2011
We have a program in our church every Halloween called Harvest party we have differrent games, pony rides, obstacle courses, and ofcourse lots and lots of treats, hot dogs and burgers for adults for refreshments, its just a way to discourage our kids from going door to door treat or treating, we started around 4 till about 8pm we go back home and give out candies to kids and my daughter did it this year, lol I got jack o lanterns and put it outside my door(do it every year)

Because they go to private (christian) school, they do harvest day and carve pumpkins and bring home and hot lunch and other cool stuff.

They dressed up as princess (tiana, snow white and red riding hood) this year, and I got charlie sheen's mask (WINNING!)

@ OP , I guess its just the way you make it look to kids without them feeling left out that day.

I am a good christain and heard the pastor from my previous church i used to attend (naija church) condemned other church that do that (typical of Nigerians to condemn and judge other people when they are not righteous themselves, doesnt bother me and my life)

Even in Nigeria that we dont celebrate Halloween , terrible things fall apart every second (not proud of it just saying).

We cant wait for next year, Happy Holidays smiley (so excited!)
Re: Halloween by Fhemmmy: 4:04pm On Nov 01, 2011
eddy1977:

I love halloween. it gives me a chance to go out with my kid and hang out with my wonderful neighbors.when the other kids come knocking at my door, i feel so priviledged to give em candies and make em happy.

i understand and respect the choices of those who do not participate. its ok.
i live in a small town and halloween brings as together and makes our community much enjoyable.

If it takes Halloween for you and your neighbors to hang out and for you to hang out with your kids . . . something is missing
Re: Halloween by minute(f): 4:23pm On Nov 01, 2011
Guess it depends on your personality as much as it does your religion. Some people don't

feel comfortable telling their children that a stranger broke into their house and leaves them

things,or that a giant bunny hides eggs for them to find. But it's really just something that

was started when children had nothing to hope for. Giving them something to believe in gave

them hope. It also gave them a reason to act right. These things are only pagan if your religion

is pagan. If you are a Christian; Santa, the Easter Bunny, trick or treating, and any of the other

things out there are only things you do, like brushing your teeth. Unless you harm someone doing

these things, that's when common sense kicks in and says THIS IS WRONG!
Re: Halloween by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 01, 2011
Fhemmmy:

If it takes Halloween for you and your neighbors to hang out and for you to hang out with your kids . . .  something is missing

sorry its not for me but what is missing jare, there we go again with judging people, I dont get to see my neighbours too everyday and days like Halloween we get to have coffee (by the way I make the best pumpkin pie from scratch ,yum grin) cos everybody wants to be home by evening to give out treats.
Re: Halloween by armyofone(m): 6:36pm On Nov 01, 2011
drove pass the mil Base and it's nice seeing the security giving out something. i never got anything from them ever only a stern eyes and greetings smiley but halloween day made them act nice and cool, ok o.
bring daily halloween bo.

SemperFI
God bless our Troops  kiss
Re: Halloween by Fhemmmy: 7:38pm On Nov 01, 2011
jidegirl12:

sorry its not for me but what is missing jare, there we go again with judging people, I dont get to see my neighbours too everyday and days like Halloween we get to have coffee (by the way I make the best pumpkin pie from scratch ,yum grin) cos everybody wants to be home by evening to give out treats.

You dont need Halloween to do all those you mentioned . . . Please note that i am not judging you oh, just trying to understand why you guys are only able to spend time at such days, cos according to you, it means you spend time with your kids and neighbors once a year, cos that day is only once a year . . . . . .

what irritates me most is people decorating their homes with horrible stuff.
Re: Halloween by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 01, 2011
Fhemmmy:

You dont need Halloween to do all those you mentioned . . . Please note that i am not judging you oh, just trying to understand why you guys are only able to spend time at such days, cos according to you, it means you spend time with your kids and neighbors once a year, cos that day is only once a year . . . . . .

what irritates me most is people decorating their homes with horrible stuff.

lol, how is that possible to spend time with my kids just once in a year(is that sarcasm or what?), its just an excuse to spend time with a neighbor that's all, its sometimes difficult to do that on a normal day, as for kids its fun for them to dress up and stuff, they cant dress up like that outside home everyday?

speaking of decoration- there is this car in front of me last week that a hand is sticking out of its trunk and moving, scared the c rap out of me lol, and I saw that hand at the grocery store last sunday(seasonal aisle), the hand can actually talk, guess what it said? LET ME OUT OF HERE, HELP!! that was hilarious I tell ya, my kids will freak out. lmao cheesy
Re: Halloween by Fhemmmy: 8:21pm On Nov 01, 2011
jidegirl12:

lol, how is that possible to spend time with my kids just once in a year(is that sarcasm or what?), its just an excuse to spend time with a neighbor that's all, its sometimes difficult to do that on a normal day, as for kids its fun for them to dress up and stuff, they cant dress up like that outside home everyday?

speaking of decoration- there is this car in front of me last week that a hand is sticking out of its trunk and moving, scared the c rap out of me lol, and I saw that hand at the grocery store last sunday(seasonal aisle), the hand can actually talk, guess what it said? LET ME OUT OF HERE, HELP!! that was hilarious I tell ya, my kids will freak out. lmao cheesy

Would you agree with me that some people that cant tell the difference between what is real and unreal would lock someone's hand in the trunk?
Besides, I am glad that you are in Canada, how many kids are killed per year in canada all in the names of Trick or Treat? imagine the tricks being that people give kids infested apple?
Re: Halloween by amtheone(m): 10:27am On Nov 02, 2011
Y should u as parents allow ur children to be carried by nonsense tradition and celebration. Let ur children know y they should not be a part of such no matter how appealing it may appear. Let them celebrate what will bring glory to the family. IMO

(1) (Reply)

The Child Gives Her HIGH BLOOD Pressure(hybp), Help!!! / What Is The Ideal Age Gap For Siblings / Marriages: Why Most Couples Don’t Sleep In The Same Bedroom!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.