Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,725 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? (4417 Views)

How Will You Celebrate Birthday With One Thousand Naira / Would You Take Your Kids To This Boarding Schools? / Do You Let Your Kids Bathe Themselves?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by smartmom(f): 2:11pm On Nov 01, 2012
Do you encourage and allow your kids participate in Halloween? Do you know the origin of Halloween? Below in this link I read with horror how some three girls were crushed to death at a party in honour of Halloween.

In general, I believe parents no matter the 'fear 'of being labelled unpopular by our kids should have a firm hold on where their offspring should go.

http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/topic,77.msg132.html#new
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 01, 2012
Yep I agree with your point of keeping an eye with where our kids go trick or treating.

I do celebrate Halloween with a twist , I take my kids to church where there's endless games and lots of candies to give so they feel involved among their peers.

Then I give out treats to kids that knocks on my door ( very cute).

My MIL doesn't like it tho but it's my choice isn't it?
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 01, 2012
My kids don't "celebrate" Haloween. I don't like what Haloween stands for, what it celebrates.

I ignored the doorbell all last night, as kids came trick-or-treating.

1 Like

Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by UmericanGirl(f): 10:51pm On Nov 01, 2012
I grew up going door to door trick or treating. These days, I take my own kids to a select few houses, but end up going to our Church Trunk or Treat.
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by EfemenaXY: 11:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
Siena: My kids don't "celebrate" Haloween. I don't like what Haloween stands for, what it celebrates.

Lol! Sienna, you sure you're not my next door neighbour?? Jeez my doorbell rang non-stop for the most part of yesterday evening!!

@poster, I used to think it was all fun and games - even participated in it as a kid. Heck! I remember shedding tears when after a whole evening's hard grafting trick-o-treating, my mumsie emptied half the contents of pumpkin basket of sweets! Something about them being too sugary?? embarassed undecided cry Was about 5 years old then - I tell you, it did break my heart!

But ever since I "understood" the concept of Haloween, it's been a no-no. Thankfully, as Roman Catholics, it's forbidden in my kids schools too...
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Nobody: 3:27am On Nov 02, 2012
Siena: My kids don't "celebrate" Haloween. I don't like what Haloween stands for, what it celebrates.

What does it stand for if I may ask jare?
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Nobody: 4:04am On Nov 02, 2012
UmericanGirl: I grew up going door to door trick or treating. These days, I take my own kids to a select few houses, but end up going to our Church Trunk or Treat.

By the time we came back from church the kids are tuckered out already and head to bed so my point is I don't take them treat or treating,

I'd like to next year tho for the first time.

They go to Christian ( Alliance church) schools but they did some kind of harvest party , carved pumpkins , shared treats and no dress ups . sad

It's just fun for me and the kids! The best part; I had my glittery witches' hat and cape on when the kids came knocking on the door part, lol grin

Halloween will not change who I am and alter my spiritual life as a Christian,

it's just my choice and its gonna stay that way wink.
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by UmericanGirl(f): 4:39am On Nov 02, 2012
jidegirl12:

It's just fun for me and the kids!

Ditto that part.. We dont associate any "celebrations" with it.. Its just a fun time to dress up and do "Fall" activities.. and get candy.. wink Growing up we never celebrated the meaning behind it either. - Its kind of like all the atheists who celebrate Christmas. Its just become commercialized.
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by ajibutter: 4:42am On Nov 02, 2012
Never! i ll not allow my kids to participate in such.
all these things have spiritual interpretations we dont know.How do you explain kids dressed like demons nd parading themselves in the nite, all in the name of halloween?

1 Like

Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Nobody: 6:41am On Nov 02, 2012
No way. We don't celebrate Halloween. Like Siena, my door bell rang all night(halloween night) and we refused to answer.
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 02, 2012
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by a1solution: 9:02am On Nov 02, 2012
Most Nigerians does not even know what is Halloween talk less celebrating
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Super1759: 9:12am On Nov 02, 2012
a1solution: Most Nigerians does not even know what is Halloween talk less celebrating
who told you that? It has been on in Nigeria since the 70s and 80s. Una no deh do masqurade for una village?
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 02, 2012
A nigerian wishing u happy halloween is like a white man wishing his brother happy new yam festival
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by pappilo(m): 9:21am On Nov 02, 2012
Nigeria, a country where Halloween is not celebrated is one of the worst 20 countries in the world to live in. The UK, where Halloween is celebrated is one of the top 20 countries in the world to live in. Go figure.......

I dont 'celebrate' Halloween. I just partake in the activities. Hell, I dont even know the story behind it and I dont wish to know. All I know is my kids dress up, go door to door, shout trick or treat and get some sweets. Kids knock on my door, I open the door slowly, it creaks, the hallway is dark, I jump out, shout arghhhhh, give them some sweets and they are on their way. The next day it is all forgotten and life carries on.

Imagine some silly Nigerians in my hood, opening the door to tell us that they do not celebrate Halloween? Why do I have to know this? Just keep your damn door shut you overrighteous pr.i.ck. One even tried to preach to my wife last year.

3 Likes

Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by chucky234(m): 9:28am On Nov 02, 2012
Halloween is the surest and easiest way to induct your kids into witchcraft without being aware of it,run for your dear life whenever you hear Hallo( don't wait for them to add "ween" to the "hallo") .

1 Like

Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by chucky234(m): 9:30am On Nov 02, 2012
ARES: A nigerian wishing u happy halloween is like a white man wishing his brother happy new yam festival
lol
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by salam001(m): 9:30am On Nov 02, 2012
Hmmmm,Do my kids celebrate halloween?your question should be ."is halloween celebrated in Nigeria?"
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by salam001(m): 9:34am On Nov 02, 2012
pappilo: Nigeria, a country where Halloween is not celebrated is one of the worst 20 countries in the world to live in. The UK, where Halloween is celebrated is one of the top 20 countries in the world to live in. Go figure.......

I dont 'celebrate' Halloween. I just partake in the activities. Hell, I dont even know the story behind it and I dont wish to know. All I know is my kids dress up, go door to door, shout trick or treat and get some sweets. Kids knock on my door, I open the door slowly, it creaks, the hallway is dark, I jump out, shout arghhhhh, give them some sweets and they are on their way. The next day it is all forgotten and life carries on.

Imagine some silly Nigerians in my hood, opening the door to tell us that they do not celebrate Halloween? Why do I have to know this? Just keep your damn door shut you overrighteous pr.i.ck. One even tried to preach to my wife last year.

must we celebrate everything the Uk celebrates?,we have our own new year festivals and igba ofala to think about and not some silly halloween,and is it because uk celebrates halloween thats makes it first 20 best countries,ish

3 Likes

Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by kevoh(m): 9:36am On Nov 02, 2012
pappilo: Nigeria, a country where Halloween is not celebrated is one of the worst 20 countries in the world to live in. The UK, where Halloween is celebrated is one of the top 20 countries in the world to live in. Go figure.......

I dont 'celebrate' Halloween. I just partake in the activities. Hell, I dont even know the story behind it and I dont wish to know.

Thank you jare! Help me tell them. This one will cry pagan religion, that one will shout dressing in costumes is demonic,meanwhile their actions are even worse than your average devil.

1 Like

Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Kemy11(m): 10:12am On Nov 02, 2012
Which one b halloween kwa. in naija we dont do candy thingz kidz request for money. U know na christmaz finz.
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by abbey2kool: 10:39am On Nov 02, 2012
Is like White man Celebrating Yam Festival or Ogun grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Aafulenu(f): 10:53am On Nov 02, 2012
nigerians and copy copy, so because the white man is doing it, we should also do it? smh
i neva celebrate my own rich culture na to copy person own
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by pomporiking: 10:56am On Nov 02, 2012
Una go dey copy oyinbo shahw halloween be naija business..una go dey lie 4 una sef
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:46am On Nov 02, 2012
Super1759: who told you that? It has been on in Nigeria since the 70s and 80s. Una no deh do masqurade for una village?

grin grin grin
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by blessing123: 12:04pm On Nov 02, 2012
Before you get tied up or initiated into witchcraft unknowingly in the name of Halloween....be careful.Avoid demonic related activities.
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by AkinDavid2: 12:18pm On Nov 02, 2012
A typical African Mentality, everything white is good but black..grrrrrr! why not celebrate your own religion and don't get initiated!
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 02, 2012
Aafulenu: nigerians and copy copy, so because the white man is doing it, we should also do it? smh
i neva celebrate my own rich culture na to copy person own

The post is directed to those living in the West. If you don't believe in it then forget it. All the self righteousness is appalling.
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by tonym1(m): 1:05pm On Nov 02, 2012
NO WAY .. ITS A CRAZY THING THAT STARTED IN UNITED STATES WHO MADE IT COMMERCIAL AND THEN SPREAD TO UK AND OTHER COUNTRIES.

NOWADAYS EVERYBODY JUST CELEBRATE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVEN IF IT MEANS NOTHING ...... JUST LIKE IN THE UK WHERE THEY CELEBRATE BURN FIRE NIGHT .... WHAT'S THAT ALL ABOUT .... SOMEONE WHO DID NOT SUCCEED IN BLOWING UP THE PARLIAMENT
grin
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 02, 2012
blessing123: Before you get tied up or initiated into witchcraft unknowingly in the name of Halloween....be careful.Avoid demonic related activities.

That's why Naija is the way it is , attach importance to petty things, their mind is cleaner than a so called Naija christain.... shuo
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 02, 2012

Tell them brother!
Re: Do Your Kids 'celebrate' Halloween? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 02, 2012
a1solution: Most Nigerians does not even know what is Halloween talk less celebrating

Cos 80% of them are dealing with poverty talk less of sharing/eating candy.... it's not meant to be a joke just the fact!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Marital Issues / Read 10 Reasons Why Every Nigerian Woman Should Visit A Strip Club At Least Once / Help!!!! My Husband Has Lost Interest In Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.